14 replies to this topic

#1 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:56 AM

WARNING:I do not recommend consuming canna-root oil!...For external use only!

I do not know the effect th@ alkaloids might have if consumed.
It COULD be dangerous.

muA

I've been trying to get the most out of my cannabis plant...I cure and smoke the buds...I make canna-oil from the leaves, stems and popcorn buds {and buds when I can spare them!}...I'm experimenting with rhetting the thicker branches and stems to make my own paper...and th@ left me with the roots.

Last harvest I made some canna balm with leaf stem and popcorn buds...whilst it did help with minor abrasions and burns, it seemed pretty useless when it came to muscles, sinew, bone and ligament.

This harvest I decided to make my balm with the dried rootmass of 1 skunkmix plant and the freshly harvested rootmass of a haze plant.

I tore these up into smallish pieces...Ideally I would have ground them in a blender...but I don't have one!B)...I put the torn up rootmass and 2 cups of oil into a slow cooker with 6 cups of water.
The reason I put 3-1 water-oil is this way I can keep it @ a roiling boil without deepfrying the roots.

I leave the cooker on 12-14 hours, checking it to top up the water as it evaporates {I put the lid on but it still does evaporate} and @ the end I pull the root pulp out and strain the lot through a clean giant sized chux cloth {pre-washed} and put it in the freezer to...freeze:cool:

The root pulp can be put back into the cooker with some more water to boil a few more hours...do not put more oil in...the purpose of this second 'cook' is to release the remaining oil and alkaloids from the roots.
When done, strain and freeze like the first batch...

Depending on if you squeezed out the root pulp the first batch, you might get up to the same amount of oil from the second batch you 'cook'.

When the water has frozen, pour off the oil from both batches into a pot and heat gently on the stove...dissolve some bee's wax into the oil...a piece half the size of your thumb would be enough to make 2 or more cups of balm...add small pieces and dissolve it into the oil....test it every now and then to see how thick it is.
With a little practice you can get the consistency you want to make it spreadable @room temp.

Scent can be added now if you want it aromatic...or there are other ingredients you can add and experiment with.
My next batch of this balm with also have cinnamon bark, oregano, basil 'cooked' with the roots in oil to, hopefully, make a better balm!
One could also throw in a Brugmansia flower or two to help with spasticity.

Rubbing this balm into my joints is like no pain medicine I've had before.
It doesn't make the pain bearable, nor does it lessen it, it seems to stop it entirely...not numbing it....making it like it was never there!
This is a new experience in pain relief for me.
The spasticity and stiffness I normally experience is lessened to the point of indifference...and I've only been using this a week!

The reason this works so well is the alkaloids in the roots.

If you want to explore this further google cannabis+root+alkaloid+balm and you will have some reading ahead!:420: hehehe

If you grow...you have roots...if you have these roots, make the balm....even if YOU don't need it...someone will...a parent/grandparent/loved one...

I am pretty sure powdered roots would get through in the mail....perhaps someone could start a 'rootbank' and send their unwanted roots to those who could use them.

My next area of research is going to be into which strains have the best roots for this balm:)

Hope this helps...anyone who tries this, please chime in!

muA

This is a Thread Stub...a duplication of the first post in the thread in another section, but relevant here.

The full thread with replies and further information may be found here...

muA
  • jangel, YourMedMJ, Itinkso and 7 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

THank you Medi for doing this. Peace buddy
  • YourMedMJ, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#3 Guest_Colotracy_*

Guest_Colotracy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:34 AM

WARNING:I do not recommend consuming canna-root oil!...For external use only!

I do not know the effect th@ alkaloids might have if consumed.
It COULD be dangerous.

muA

I've been trying to get the most out of my cannabis plant...I cure and smoke the buds...I make canna-oil from the leaves, stems and popcorn buds {and buds when I can spare them!}...I'm experimenting with rhetting the thicker branches and stems to make my own paper...and th@ left me with the roots.

Last harvest I made some canna balm with leaf stem and popcorn buds...whilst it did help with minor abrasions and burns, it seemed pretty useless when it came to muscles, sinew, bone and ligament.

This harvest I decided to make my balm with the dried rootmass of 1 skunkmix plant and the freshly harvested rootmass of a haze plant.

I tore these up into smallish pieces...Ideally I would have ground them in a blender...but I don't have one!:rolleyes:...I put the torn up rootmass and 2 cups of oil into a slow cooker with 6 cups of water.
The reason I put 3-1 water-oil is this way I can keep it @ a roiling boil without deepfrying the roots.

I leave the cooker on 12-14 hours, checking it to top up the water as it evaporates {I put the lid on but it still does evaporate} and @ the end I pull the root pulp out and strain the lot through a clean giant sized chux cloth {pre-washed} and put it in the freezer to...freeze:cool:

The root pulp can be put back into the cooker with some more water to boil a few more hours...do not put more oil in...the purpose of this second 'cook' is to release the remaining oil and alkaloids from the roots.
When done, strain and freeze like the first batch...

Depending on if you squeezed out the root pulp the first batch, you might get up to the same amount of oil from the second batch you 'cook'.

When the water has frozen, pour off the oil from both batches into a pot and heat gently on the stove...dissolve some bee's wax into the oil...a piece half the size of your thumb would be enough to make 2 or more cups of balm...add small pieces and dissolve it into the oil....test it every now and then to see how thick it is.
With a little practice you can get the consistency you want to make it spreadable @room temp.

Scent can be added now if you want it aromatic...or there are other ingredients you can add and experiment with.
My next batch of this balm with also have cinnamon bark, oregano, basil 'cooked' with the roots in oil to, hopefully, make a better balm!
One could also throw in a Brugmansia flower or two to help with spasticity.

Rubbing this balm into my joints is like no pain medicine I've had before.
It doesn't make the pain bearable, nor does it lessen it, it seems to stop it entirely...not numbing it....making it like it was never there!
This is a new experience in pain relief for me.
The spasticity and stiffness I normally experience is lessened to the point of indifference...and I've only been using this a week!

The reason this works so well is the alkaloids in the roots.

If you want to explore this further google cannabis+root+alkaloid+balm and you will have some reading ahead!fart.gif hehehe

If you grow...you have roots...if you have these roots, make the balm....even if YOU don't need it...someone will...a parent/grandparent/loved one...

I am pretty sure powdered roots would get through in the mail....perhaps someone could start a 'rootbank' and send their unwanted roots to those who could use them.

My next area of research is going to be into which strains have the best roots for this balm:)

Hope this helps...anyone who tries this, please chime in!

muA

This is a Thread Stub...a duplication of the first post in the thread in another section, but relevant here.

The full thread with replies and further information may be found here...

muA

Hi, hope this is the right forum, wanted to thank you for the recipe instructions for the root balm. Just made my first batch and I am so impressed with the pain relieving properties of this balm. I am stunned on how fast it works and just the fact that it does work blows me away! What a great site you all have put together here. Thanks again!

#4 Cobra427

Cobra427

Hashqueen

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

I too just wanted to say Thank you for the recipe base & great idea. My pot of root's is simmering on the stove as we speak. I kind of changed it a bit sorry I tend to do that with every recipe that I get.... :D Cannabis roots and fan leaves: about 12 small mixed strain root balls & stems & about 24 cups of leaf. I crammed the canner about 3/4 fill full & topped up with water 1st I Crushed & Soaked the roots & stems in Flavored booze (we had & didn’t like) for two days, then added the leaves & cooked on the stove on low for one week. Should be done late sunday night. After two days of stewing I added ½ oz of Arnica flowers, 3 cups chamomile flowers, ¼ oz St John's Wort, ½ oz comfrey root, 1 oz devils claw root, ½ chunk of fresh ginger root, 6 cinnamon sticks & 4 oz Rosemary, some Basil, Cayenne pepper, nutmeg & cloves (all dried herbs) & 5 cups olive oil. After straining it I'm planning on mixing it with some Hemp Seed Oil, Bees wax, Coconut Butter & Vit E. for a pain relief type balm. I'm going to get my 93 year old aunt to try it & see if it helps her, she suffers from RA real bad. Her poor finger joints are the size of golf balls. I sure don't want mine to be like that.......Can't wait till its finished... It smells pretty potent. Funny I feel kind of like a witch :lol
  • jangel, YourMedMJ, teddys head and 2 others like this

#5 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:31 AM

I too just wanted to say Thank you for the recipe base & great idea. My pot of root's is simmering on the stove as we speak. I kind of changed it a bit sorry I tend to do that with every recipe that I get.... :D

Cannabis roots and fan leaves: about 12 small mixed strain root balls & stems & about 24 cups of leaf. I crammed the canner about 3/4 fill full & topped up with water
1st I Crushed & Soaked the roots & stems in Flavored booze (we had & didn’t like) for two days, then added the leaves & cooked on the stove on low for one week. Should be done late sunday night.
After two days of stewing I added ½ oz of Arnica flowers, 3 cups chamomile flowers, ¼ oz St John's Wort, ½ oz comfrey root, 1 oz devils claw root, ½ chunk of fresh ginger root, 6 cinnamon sticks & 4 oz Rosemary, some Basil, Cayenne pepper, nutmeg & cloves (all dried herbs) & 5 cups olive oil.
After straining it I'm planning on mixing it with some Hemp Seed Oil, Bees wax, Coconut Butter & Vit E. for a pain relief type balm.
I'm going to get my 93 year old aunt to try it & see if it helps her, she suffers from RA real bad. Her poor finger joints are the size of golf balls. I sure don't want mine to be like that.......Can't wait till its finished... It smells pretty potent. Funny I feel kind of like a witch :lol

very nice! where did you get your arnica flowers?
  • jangel, YourMedMJ, Graywolf and 2 others like this

#6 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

Cobra...I do believe ya might have a potent balm there :D hehehe can't wait to hear how it works... muA 
  • jangel, YourMedMJ and teddys head like this

#7 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

very nice! where did you get your arnica flowers?

Hee, hee, hee, Cobra, you witch!!!!!!!!!!!1

I want to try some!

Edited by Graywolf, 19 December 2010 - 11:09 AM.

• jangel, YourMedMJ, teddys head and 1 other like this

#8 Cobra427

Cobra427

Hashqueen

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

Thank you all! It looks like I'll have lots & your more than welcome to some. :D I found this place online for local herbs. https://www.herbalcraft.ca/index.php Awesome service & this place is close to home. and there's this place http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ this place is in the USA. I haven’t ordered from here yet but what a huge selection…… So far it smells great & I can't wait to try it myself. I'll post some pics & stuff when I'm finished making it. Anyway off to do some trimming now. Thanks again for the awesome idea Medi. rotflmaogif
  • jangel, YourMedMJ, Graywolf and 2 others like this

#9 sandwich

sandwich

Viceroy of anything between two slices of bread!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSunny SoCal

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Cobra, do you have any updates?

#10 lauren888

lauren888

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thank you all!
It looks like I'll have lots & your more than welcome to some. :toking:
I found this place online for local herbs.

https://www.herbalcraft.ca/index.php
Awesome service & this place is close to home.

and there's this place
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/
this place is in the USA. I haven’t ordered from here yet but what a huge selection……
So far it smells great & I can't wait to try it myself.
I'll post some pics & stuff when I'm finished making it.
Anyway off to do some trimming now.
Thanks again for the awesome idea Medi.

:party time:

MuA's canna root balm is miraculous stuff indeed. I am a firm believer.

#11 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

I was discussing this with someone who has had experience making soaps and lotions. She suggested I use coco or shea butter instead of coconut oil, as they are not as greasy. I spent quite awhile today trying to get all the dirt out of my roots, and have more to do tomorrow. Anybody have any tricks for that and/or advise about using the butters I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks

#12 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Yes of course you can use whatever carrier oil you like with this. Somewhere there is a discussion on this. I believe it is under holy anointing oil (HAO) . Each has different absorption rates. Just make sure whatever you use is not harmed or burnt by cooking it. I believe some even suggested emu oil, as it too is highly absorbable and leaves no greasy residue. I LIKE the cocanut oil. It does aborb better than olive oil. Peace
  • YourMedMJ, teddys head and Suzycrmcheese like this

#13 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have my first batch of root balm cooling in the freezer. I am so excited to try it, and have a long line of volunteers. The root balls were from dirt. I soaked them a bit and then used sink sprayer to blast little clogs out. I had a few large roots from one outdoor plant. They were very hard, I soaked them for awhile, and smashed with a hammer. I have an ancient Oster blender that did a great job of pulverizing these pieces. I had been gifted some shea butter, so used that with water and roots in a slow cooker. After cooking for 12+ hrs(?), I strained it all through a piece of sheer curtain I got at St. Vinnie's for $.99. Thanks for all the info and tips. I have people with arthritis, joint disorder, back pain from accident, work stress, all suffering, that I hope this will help. I will post again when I get some feedback. Special thanks to Medi for getting this thread rolling!!!!! Suzy

#14 gewebegott

gewebegott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

was pointed over here from #theweednerd on undernet gonna start saving root balls from now on...
  • jangel likes this

#15 spellcheckdependant

spellcheckdependant

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Locationnorthern cal. USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

One of the things I love about this site is the way good info is kept. This three or more year old post was exactly waht I was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users