13 replies to this topic

#1 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Tis the season to harvest the outdoor crop and to fight the heart break of powdery mildew and bud rot here in the Pacific NW. Even the best efforts to shelter the plants from the rain to keep them dry often fall short, and our worst fear is up on us.

While neither produces known toxic aflatoxins, they have an unpleasant taste and smell. Usually medical growers throw it away, though some may slip by and some unscrupulous suppliers will do their best to do so, so as to maximize their production.

What we at the skunk pharm do is first trim off the really bad portions and extract oil from the rest using alcohol or butane. At that point the oil still has the distinctive smell and flavor of mold.

To remove that smell and flavor, we re-dissolve the oil in 190 proof ethanol and run it through progressive syringe filters, until we reach 0.2 micron. Usually a roughing filter and then a .45 micron before the 0.2 micron.

This process removes not only the spores, which are about 8 micron on the skinny end, but all of the broken up mold material and any bacteria present.

The resulting oil is pristine in appearance and of good taste and flavor. There is no remaining mold odor or smell.

We do not use this technique to process Aspergillus mold, as it does produce toxic aflatoxins, which are not removed by filtration or any heat process low enough to not destroy the cannabis oil. Use a microscope to see the differences.

Attached is a picture of a syringe filter. The syringes, the filter cases, and the membranes are all available at your local science supply store, or on E-Bay, where they are cheaper. You can also pickup complete one time use throwaway case and filter combinations.

Attached Files

Edited by Graywolf, 29 October 2010 - 08:18 AM.

• jangel, GoophyPhucker, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

Thank you Graywolf. Many of our people are not up to the science of this...and for this reason I will say this. Unless you can filter it as graywolf has said, please discard any buds with this affliction. It can cause severe health problems for some people and is not worth the chance. Long term affects CAN occur with moldy bud....so do not take the chance if you cannot use a suitable technique, such as described above.
  • Graywolf, teddys head and DEBhasgrn like this

#3 Radic

Radic

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNimbin

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

irey wolfe thanx and praize gotta love every utterance we had a heavy wet season and looks like its not gonna stop we suffered massive loses to mould and bud rot this season too i still get mouldy budz to deal with, in times such as these nuff raspect simple solutions rule everytime lol filter the solvent works a treat eh! i can see the light a dat i have a Q why put the filters at the end??????? why not just put a filter on the BHO extract??????? it is very eze and safe to reflux butane with a gas pump (the same one as they use to degas old fridges) one could eze fit filters kewl runningz for bulk production of high quality meds yes i tink ill make this a standard for every extract seen cause its always wise to purify BHO or c02 extracts thru a final extract with alcohol for meds just to be sure irey guidance
  • jangel, Graywolf and teddys head like this

#4 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Thank you Graywolf.

Many of our people are not up to the science of this...and for this reason I will say this.

Unless you can filter it as graywolf has said, please discard any buds with this affliction.

It can cause severe health problems for some people and is not worth the chance.

Long term affects CAN occur with moldy bud....so do not take the chance if you cannot use a suitable technique,

such as described above.

Good point! Expanding on my admonition against Aspergillus, all molds are not created equal and like mushrooms and toadstools, some are benign and others are deadly.

Aspergillus Negro is the dark grey mold that grows in damp dark places, which can even include the lungs of some with compromised immune systems. It also pumps out deadly aflatoxins.

The spores are everywhere and we eat and breathe it regularly, but some people have severe immune reactions even at low levels, which as Jangle points out, may develop after long exposures. They effects of aflatoxins on our livers and nervous systems can also be accumulative.

If it smells or looks moldy, may I suggest that you examine it closely with a microscope before deciding whether to salvage it or not.

i have a Q why put the filters at the end??????? why not just put a filter on the BHO extract???????

Good idea, but filtration has to be sub micron to get out all the animal and vegetable parts and such a filter would clog rapidly and present too much back pressure for most butane systems.

It pretty much has to be forced through the filter with pressure or vacuum to pass through one that fine.

In industry I filtered process flows to 0.2 microns using cross flow micro filtration, because any simple dead headed filter clogs as particles are trapped in its pores, quickly stopping any flow.

We use vacuum filtration for large volumes down to around a micron.

Attached Files

• jangel, teddys head and Stoned Ranger like this

#5 Radic

Radic

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNimbin

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

yes you may be right
but its worth a try
i have a 110mc stainless steel filter on my butane extractor

Posted Image

it does not freeze and clog
there seams to be nuff pressure in the butane to force it thru 110 mc as a liquid
108 times smaller may well be a completely different story
but i hafe try it
its so eze to do
i use a soda saver (for making carborated water) as a butane extractor
it will do a c02 extract as well
it works fine for small amounts

Posted Image

seen
a compassion club would be wise to use a gas pump for bulk processing BHO
it will pump gas or liquid, under pressure, from one chamber to another tru a 0.2mc filter np
your a guineas bro
for bulk butane extracts a gas pump is a must
recycle and save most of the butane from bulk proccessing
its the safest way to reflux using butane or c02

gas pumps are quite exe but they are available
industry uses gas pumps to de-gas old fridges
check ebay or google

guidance

#6 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

Brilliant idea to use the old soda doodah, Radic! :cigar: muA
  • jangel and teddys head like this

#7 Radic

Radic

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNimbin

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

yes for personal use soda bottles rule 4or 5 0z of herb, 1lt butane ina soda bot yields bout 4 to 8g BHO depending pon the quality of the herb and this filter innervation of Graywolf is wicked thanx & praize cant wait to try it seen but for a compassion club with a big demand you need a gas pump some even come with the right filters just like lab equipment, gas pumps are exe irey guidance

#8 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

i am in possession of about a quarter pound of botrytis contaminated cannabis. will run and filter it soon. perhaps graywolf will take skunk pharm pix to share!

Edited by eloquentsolution, 14 November 2010 - 10:30 PM.

• jangel and teddys head like this

#9 artistickat

artistickat

Happy Camper

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

Wish I knew of this earlier. I tossed a good couple of pounds of rotting buds...most of my grow this year. Darn!
  • teddys head likes this

#10 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

Wish I knew of this earlier. I tossed a good couple of pounds of rotting buds...most of my grow this year. Darn!

where in washington do you live? i was born and raised there. grew up in richmond beach north of seattle.

sorry for the hijack!
  • teddys head likes this

#11 Third floor turtle

Third floor turtle

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

so outdoor is done and this year nature was not kind to me (lots of powdery mildew some bud rot )and my lungs just cant take the mildew. I want to try this with what i have as its a fair amount and we need meds my question is can any one put me on to a place where i can find the needed filters and such it would be greatly apreciated Help me Obiwan :) Many Blessings Turtle
  • teddys head likes this

#12 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:08 AM

filters

hope this works for you. must buy in large lots. pm me for additional details.

sorry i did not get to you sooner. hope it all works out for you.
  • teddys head likes this

#13 sabasi

sabasi

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts
  • LocationMayland Essex UK

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thank you Graywolf.

Many of our people are not up to the science of this...and for this reason I will say this.

Unless you can filter it as graywolf has said, please discard any buds with this affliction.

It can cause severe health problems for some people and is not worth the chance.

Long term affects CAN occur with moldy bud....so do not take the chance if you cannot use a suitable technique,

such as described above.

NOW I find out! Eeek!! Hmm better late than never!! I will stay away from that from now on!! Cough!!
  • teddys head likes this

#14 UnblemishedMind

UnblemishedMind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hi, Is Aspergillus a mold that grows on living plants, or, is that one that turns up at drying/curing? I think what I have is Botrytis/Mildew. Under 60x microscope while alive (cut slightly early to salvage the best possible, hopefully!) has white fluffy type growth (standard mildew looked like), but, what are the small black dots occasionally stuck on trichomes? Looks like occasional black trichome, from other angles can see its a black speck stuck to trichome, and a little 'silver thread' strung between a few trichomes. Only one plant has obvious mildew, and smells more moldy. Other just shows the little black specks here and there in trichomes under magnification, but doesn't really smell moldy. Fungus knat/scarrid fly was also an issue, weakened plants. (wonder if any of the black specks are poo from them, or, fungus spores?) Sorry don't have any camera option just now, and haven't been able to find clear photos to show the difference at 60x zoom. GrayWolf, those Aspergillus spores in your photo above, what magnification is that at? Do they look very similar to trichomes?! Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users