While neither produces known toxic aflatoxins, they have an unpleasant taste and smell. Usually medical growers throw it away, though some may slip by and some unscrupulous suppliers will do their best to do so, so as to maximize their production.
What we at the skunk pharm do is first trim off the really bad portions and extract oil from the rest using alcohol or butane. At that point the oil still has the distinctive smell and flavor of mold.
To remove that smell and flavor, we re-dissolve the oil in 190 proof ethanol and run it through progressive syringe filters, until we reach 0.2 micron. Usually a roughing filter and then a .45 micron before the 0.2 micron.
This process removes not only the spores, which are about 8 micron on the skinny end, but all of the broken up mold material and any bacteria present.
The resulting oil is pristine in appearance and of good taste and flavor. There is no remaining mold odor or smell.
We do not use this technique to process Aspergillus mold, as it does produce toxic aflatoxins, which are not removed by filtration or any heat process low enough to not destroy the cannabis oil. Use a microscope to see the differences.
Attached is a picture of a syringe filter. The syringes, the filter cases, and the membranes are all available at your local science supply store, or on E-Bay, where they are cheaper. You can also pickup complete one time use throwaway case and filter combinations.
Edited by Graywolf, 29 October 2010 - 08:18 AM.