8 replies to this topic

#1 monsterbud

monsterbud

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

Given that GP's DJ 2004 article is incomplete, I've taken the liberty of copying the full (no images) version of this for future reference.

Thanks to GP

My Cataloguing System

Perhaps one of the most useful devices used in a qualitycannabis breeding project is that of catalogue techniques. This refers to themethod used to categorize various traits for future reference, or how to bestlabel traits from a given population. It is also a means to track who came fromwhere (generational references).

First and foremost, I cannot begin to describe the level ofcomplexity involved with a breeding project that extends from the f-2 to thef-5 range. It took me over a decade and a half of trial and much error to fullycomprehend and develop a system that actually works to this level and beyond.It starts out simple enough, until the f-2's, then the complexity expandsexponentially with each generation.

The P-1's are simple enough, they are the original breed-stockand labeled for what they are, i.e. Highland, Purple or Chocolate Thai, Oaxacanor Santa Marta Gold, Pure Afghan, etc. The f-1's were equally simple as theywere of uniform expressions and I simply chose to label them “The Cross”. Thef-2 generation was equally easy to identify with the label “Double Cross”, orthe progeny of the f-1 cross. However, when the f-2's were grown out, extremediversity ruled the making of the f-3's (or the descriptions of the f-2'sselected to breed further with) a tougher call to make.

It is at this level (and beyond) that some form of labelingsystem becomes necessary to catalogue all of the different variations found.Beginning with the plants grown out from the f-2 seeds I chose to utilize analphabetized system with each letter corresponding to a specific trait. Forexample, the letter “B” came to signify the “Berry” characteristic, “F” standsfor “Fruity” (sometimes “Floral“), “G” is for Grape, “C” for Citrus, “O” fororange, “L” for lemon or lime, “K” equaled “Kush”, “S” for “Sativa” “P” forPurple, “X” for extreme glandular trichome production, etc.

I must confess that it took much trial and error to finally getit right. Therefore, if one were to look at my early notes many exceptions towhat developed as “the rule” can be found. I left these early “mistakes” asthey were so as not to over-complicate what came next. It is also veryimportant to note that most of these observations were relatively subjectiveand that no more than two traits, or characteristics were ever assigned to anyone plant. Therefore, the label “BK” came to stand for “Berry Kush”, or a Kushdominant plant with outstanding berry attributes. It is also important to notethat only the most outstanding plant of any given attribute was selected forfuture work. So the plant that ended up with the “BK” label was the mostBerry-Kush of the lot.

So, my f-3 stock became labeled with a two-letter codeindicating what the most outstanding characteristics of it’s parent (primarilymother) were, and only those with the strongest expressions earned their label.When the f-3's were grown out and crossed to make the f-4 generation, theselabels were coupled to indicate the parents of the f-4 progeny, i.e. BK/FSwould be a cross between an f-3 Berry-Kush mother (I always list the femalefirst, male second with a back-slash in between) and an f-3 Fruity Sativafather.

F-4's and Beyond

Consider the label number: 4/5 3 96-2. This is the type ofnumbering symbol I use to label F-4 and beyond plants. Before we dissect thisnumber I need to point out a few rules that I follow in a breeding projectbeyond the F-4 generation.

First, I only grow out no more than six varieties at any singletime. The reason is to avoid too much confusion. Six is about the maximumnumber of varieties an individual can realistically keep track of. These six(or five, or four etc.) varieties are then labeled as “1" through “6"(or the number of varieties used). Let’s say the 6 f-3's I use are: 1. “FK/FK”,2. “BK/PK”, 3. “FK/FL”, 4. “GK/GK”, 5. “PK/FP” and 6. “XP/FK”. Notes are madeto record this fact and the seeds are then sprouted and grown using thesesimple, single digit identification numbers (1 through 6 in this example).

Second, I select only one male from any single breeding project.Again, this simplifies things and avoids mistakes enormously. That male isgenerally selected at about the third week in the flowering cycle, unless it isa clone from another project. After the single male is selected the other malesare removed and the remaining females are numbered according to their varietycategory (i.e. if there are seven #1. females, five #2 females, etc. they arelabeled #1–1 through 7, #2–1 through 5, etc.) The male simply retains thenumber from its variety label, in our above example the number “5" (in the4/5), or the “PK/FP” male.

Now we may examine the above example: 4/5 3 96-2. The first twonumbers, “4/5" are the variety number of the female first and male second.So in this case that would be: a “GK/GK” female crossed with the “PK/FP” male.The third number in our example, “3" means female #3 from the #4 (“GK/GK”)batch. The next number in the example, “96" is merely the year and thefinal number is the crop number for that year. So, translated, the number 4/5 396-2 is the third “GK/GK” (or #4) female crossed with the “PK/FP” (or #5) malegrown from the second crop of 1996.

Please note that the “/5” male-used indicator will be /5 for allof the seeds labeled from this batch as the #5 (“PK/FP”) male is the only oneused. If a male clone from a past crop is used it may be indicated by using the#7 in the initial notes (if six varieties are sprouted) and described as themale-clone-used in the #7 description. Likewise, if any of the six varietiestested are from a past clone (female), they may be selected as one of the #1through #6 varieties, labeled and described accordingly.

It seems complex at first, but I assure you that it works great.The same system is used for the F-5 generation, and beyond. The system merelyrequires that dated notes be kept and catalogued. That way, any crosses may bebacktracked and referenced via one’s notes and a simple, six or seven digitcode is all that is needed to label and catalogue one’s plants.

Finally, this system works best for forward crosses mainly.Backcrosses will need another connotation to note their use . The “clone-used”labeling described prior works well for backcrosses involving clones.

This system is good for only one grow out at a time. If multiplegrows, or facilities are used then they will need to be noted as well, perhapswith a lettered “A”, “B”, “C” etc. appended onto the catalogue number. Also,detailed notes of each individual plant are necessary to fully utilize anycataloguing system and are obviously required for success. Other than that, Ihave found this to be a relatively simple and foolproof system for cataloguingone’s breeding projects beyond the f-3 generation.

Background, Review and DJ’s Law

Remember; all of my seed-stock came from the cross of twodistinctly different P1 parents with the mother being of pure, land-race sativaorigin and the father being a pure indica. This cross produced a very uniformline I’ve referred to as “The Cross”, or f1 generation. When “The Cross” wasbred with itself (dubbed “Double Cross” at the time) the resulting variance wasphenomenal in the f2 generation expressions. Beginning with this f2 generation,intense scrutiny and application of the selection rules and laws come intoplay. The bulk of the variation from this f2 generation were primarilydiscovered in the 1980's.

I must comment here that the variation witnessed from this f2cross, and subsequent crosses, was truly amazing in its complexity of variance.I also need to mention the fact that, as far as “the number’s game” isconcerned (selecting from as large a population as possible), this f2, and tosome degree the f3 generations are the most relevant. That is, the larger thenumber of f2's and f3's sprouted, the greater the degree of variance that iswitnessed. It is from the f3 and beyond generations that specific traits arebred for and stabilized. Once a specific trait is recognized, the numbersnecessary for success diminish with each generation successfully crossed towardthe desired traits. In simple terms; the more f2's and f3's sprouted forexamination the better. However, once a specific trait presents itself and ischosen for future work and appears to breed true through subsequent generation,the less f4's, f5's etc. that are needed to witness the desired results.

There is one very simple rule that I feel is primary whenconsidering one’s involvement in a quality cannabis breeding project, or whenapplying Luther Burbank’s law (“Select the best and reject all others.”). It isan extension of Luther Burbank’s Law that I will refer to as:

DJ’s Law of Quality Cannabis Breeding.

“The progeny must equal or surpass its parent in overall qualityand desirability to be considered for future breeding.”

That is, if the progeny is not as good as the bud it came from,it is rejected from further breeding. The finished product from the grown seeddoes not need to be exactly like the bud or parent from which it came. A goodexample is from the land-race Thai and the plants grown from its seed. Theplants grown from the land-race Thai seed, especially produced indoors, werenot much like the imported Thai from which it came (primarily due in this caseto very different growing environments and curing techniques). It was, however,very equal, and in some instances superior to the buds from which it came andtherefore worthy of consideration.

On the other hand, I have not had much luck in equaling theeffects of certain tropical Island herbs such as Hawaiian or Jamaican indoors,and therefore these offerings never made the grade. For the record, themajority of land-race varieties grown out prove to fail DJ’s law, IMHO. Veryfew end up being of significant value or worthy of future consideration. But DJ’slaw also applies to the selection of the f2's, f3's and beyond.

I realize that it is sometimes impossible in the current seedmarket to be able to sample a true example of the bud (parent) of the seed onepurchases. Sometimes these varieties are commercially available in places suchas a Dutch coffee shop, but one is never really certain if the bud one ispurchasing (or the seed for that matter) is the real deal. This is perhaps oneof the main flaws in the current seed market–reliability. Given this situation,the seed buyer and breeder will need to employ Luther Burbank’s Law first, andDJ’s Law after a parent is created for testing.

A Word About Mutagens

I am aware of concerns involving mutagens such as colchicine andtheir possible use on cannabis plants. Colchicine is a chemical that whenapplied to seeds or sprouts can cause extreme genetic mutations in futuregenerations of the seeds that survive the treatment (often less that 1%). Forthe record let me state that I have never used colchicine, or any othermutagen, in my breeding work . All of my selections are from organicallyproduced crops. I do have my suspicions, however, primarily concerning some ofthe Thai strains that I have used.

I am not certain, but I suspect that the Highland and ChocolateThai may have been the results of a mutagenic regimen. The reasons I make thespeculation is due to observations witnessed in the growing cycle of theHighland and Chocolate Thai and their progeny. Both were extremely “freakish”in some of their expressions, as were a number of subsequent generations. Thesefreakish anomalies are similar to many of the abnormalities documented bymutagenic experiments published in journals such as High Times and CannabisCulture. These abnormalities include asymmetric growth patterns, “albino”mutations that affect parts of the plant such as half of a leaf, variouspolyploid expressions and mild to extreme leaf mutations. I am very interestedto learn about any first hand experience anyone may have had in this capacity.Having said that, one of the most important aspects to consider in regard to abreeding regimen is that of ratios.

Ratios

The math for this selection process involves watching the ratiosof desirable plants from f2 to f3 and beyond generations. The ratio of plantsexhibiting a specifically desired trait from the f2 generation may be 1:20 or1:50 or 1:100 or even as high as 1:1000 (approximate ratios). Once obtained andselected, however, and crossed to the correct pollen source, this ratio willequate more and more per each successful generational cross. This is anotherindicator of which individuals actually breed true for the specific desiredtrait(s). Therefore, if the ratio of plants with desired traits presents itselfin an approximate 1:100 ratio in the f2 generation, and successful crosses aremade, this ratio should diminish to between 1:50 to 1:20 for the same desiredtrait in the f3 generation. If the cross remains successful, the ratio willdiminish to anywhere from 1:10 to an absolute IBL (In-Bred Line) beyond the f4cross of 1:2 (or 1:1 barring male sexual exclusion, i.e. the ratio among thefemale plants only).

It is important to note that any 1:2 (1:1 female) IBL ratio isgenerally for a very specific, singular trait. When considering combinations oftraits, the best obtainable ratio I have found is between 1:5 to approximately1:10, depending on the number of desired traits sought. Please note that theseratio numbers are approximate and the true numbers may be closer to the powersof two such as 1:8, 1:16, 1:32 etc. It also needs to be noted that my ratiosrelate to total number of seeds sprouted and not just the number of femaleplants.

Therefore, if I sprout 100 f2 seeds and find one female plantwith any number of desirable qualities, and I successfully find a male f2pollen donor to cross with, and the ratio of these same desirable plants in thef3 generation becomes at least 1:50 (preferably 1:30 or better) then I considermyself on the right track and proceed from there. If a subsequent cross of thef3's provides a ratio of desirability in the f4's of 1:20 (or closer), I amdefinitely on the right track. In essence these are the (general) numbers Ilook for in the early breeding trials. Suffice it to say that my informalobservations have proven true enough for me to be able to judge desirableresults with adequate success, despite the approximations.

Suffice it also to say that I have a large collection of f3'sand f4's and beyond that merit further investigation. These f4's (and some f3'sand f5's) are the primary source for all future breeding work along the linesestablished by the ratios of plants with the desirable traits expressedtherein.

A Word About Anomalies

Anomalies, individuals that are markedly different from the generalphenotypic expression of a given variety, are rare, but occur with a nearpredictable ratio. Beyond the f-3 generation (and from my personal seed-stock)anomalies present themselves at the ratio of approximately 1:100. Because thereare both positive (desirable) and negative (non-desirable) anomalies, theoverall ratio of positive (desirable) anomalies is probably somewhere in theneighborhood of approx. 1:200. Desirable anomalies are very valuable tocannabis breeding providing that they are viable. So always keep an eye out fordesirable anomalies and put sufficient energy into their reproduction. Moreoften than not however, anomalies can be very finicky and therefore difficultto work with

Past Selection Processes Review

Originally, in the late 1970's, I was growing up to 100 plantsat a time using over 1000 watts of light, and also outdoors in a backyardgarden space. These were all land race sativa that fortunately cloned well. Theratio of highly desirable individuals from these plants was about 1:100. One ofthe most annoying traits of these varieties was hermaphroditism. Approximately60% of all of these plants from seed were unmanageable hermis, and about 25%more were what I referred to as manageable hermaphrodites, meaning that withclose observation and intense scrutiny the male pods could be seen andeliminated as they appeared. About 15% of these sativa plants were femaleenough to produce marketable sinsimilla bud, with a constant vigilance towardthe occasional stray pollen sack. In other words the hermaphroditism expressedin these equatorial sativa was extreme and nearly total.

A quick word about the virtues of hermaphrodites: Ask anyold-time herbalist, one who has been experiencing fine herb since at least theearly 1970's, what their favorite all-time herbal variety was, and the answerwill be something to the effect of; “Santa Marta or Acapulco Gold” or “Highlandor Chocolate Thai” or “Punta Roya (red-tipped gold Highland Oaxacan)” or“Guerran Green” or “Panama Red” etc. et. al., all of which were equatorial, orsub-tropical, origin sativa and hermaphroditic. Even the great hashish of theera such as Lebanese Red and Blonde, all Moroccan and Nepalese were producedfrom seeded stock.

This is not so much in praise of the hermaphrodite as it is asuggestion in regard to the cannabinoid profile of seeded verses non-seededherb. It has been my experience that the cannabinoid profile of seeded herbproduces a wider range of effect than from non-seeded, or sinsimilla, herb. Theequatorial environment also probably contributed to a wider range ofcannabinoids. One of the aspects of the equatorial environment is itsconsistent day/night temperature range, there is little difference between dayand night temps on the equator supposedly inspiring a wider cannabinoidprofile. Couple this with the seeded cannabinoid profile and it becomes easy tounderstand the popularity of the equatorial produced sativa, despite itshermaphroditic problems. I am curios as to what future research in this capacitymay provide.

Once the indica was introduced into the mix the hermaphrodite“problem” became controllable. It only takes a few zero-tolerance generationsindoors to fully eliminate hermaphroditic tendencies. As a matter of fact,this, coupled with shortening the flowering cycle, became the first mainconcerns of the indoor or commercial horticulturist. This unbalanced focus maybe the strongest contributing factor to the “blandness” of much of the herb tofollow. The author “R” did a cover piece for High Times magazine in themid-1980's calling for a “Ban the Bud” campaign, against the indica onslought,due to how bad and bland the quality of some herb was becoming then. I rememberthe times clearly.

During this period I was beginning to venture out into largersatellite grows (indoor and out) that kicked my selection numbers up to around1000 plants at a time for awhile. It was from these trials that I was able todo the bulk of my f2 experimentation and selections. I worked with thesenumbers for enough trials to manipulate and witness the phenomenon of qualityproduction to a high degree of certainty. Once I was certain how to produce thef3's, the f4's and beyond became much easier to produce.

During the late 1980's, and due to the harsh political realitiesof the times, the high numbers game became too dangerous. The war on some drugsand spooky ops such as Operation Green Merchant forced my experimentation deepunderground. Fortunately, the lessons learned prior proved fruitful andprogress was possible despite the political weather. I had already learned toproduce f3 and f4 Blueberry (et. al.). However, doing so with diminishednumbers actually helped boost my learning curve. Between 1987 to 1990 I wasable to do so using less than 100 plants from seed at a time. And by 1991 I wasable to do adequate selection work from past produced stock using less than 50plants (seeds) at a time.

Europe

Holland

By the early 1990's I was extremely interested in the burgeoningseed market developing in Holland. I had known about the seed banks since 1983and was always only interested in obtaining more pure, land-race varieties.Unfortunately, there were only hybrid crosses ever available at the time and Ihad more than enough of my own to work with. By 1993 I finally made thepilgrimage to Amsterdam where I made new connections. In 1994 I connected withthe first company that I worked with in Europe. By 1995 I was supplying thiscompany with seed-stock both for sale and for breed work. I had contracted withthis company to produce Blueberry, Flo and Blue Velvet.

The first company I worked with in Europe sprouted only 25 seedsof each of these varieties to make selections from. Other than supplyingseed-stock, I was only minimally involved in the selection process. I did getto see the mother and father plants alive, however, the selection process hadalready been done prior by others. Unfortunately, my relationship with thiscompany was short-lived as all the owner really wanted was my seed-stock. Oncehe had it I became a very low priority in his scheme. In all honesty I wasnever paid one red cent for any of the Blueberry (or “Flow” or Blue Velvet)that company number one in Europe produced (plus having over 3,000 seeds that Iproduced completely ripped off).

Needless to say this lack of concern prompted me to seek otherpossibilities that culminated in my relationship with the second company Iworked with in Europe. At this company about 50 seeds of each variety weresprouted, but I was once again mainly left out of the selection process exceptfor sampling a number of finished products and making selections based on those(which is enough, actually). I never got to see any of the live plants fromthis selection process at company number two in Europe. I also contributedseed-stock for three more varieties there; Blue Moonshine, Blue Heaven andPurple Passion. The owner of this company was satisfied with paying me theminimum amount I would consider adequate. Fortunately, part of the deal was myability to remain independent and work with whomever else I pleased.

Switzerland

The third company I worked with in Europe was in Switzerland.The owner of this company was able to dramatically push the envelope there andsome interesting results blossomed. I visited Switzerland three times between1999 and 2001 and was truly amazed at what I witnessed on each visit. Out ofall of the companies that I worked with in Europe, I felt the most involved andproductive in Switzerland. I was involved with selections of finished productsand with live mother and father plants as well. I even got to help plant,transplant and harvest a few of the gems produced there.

The varieties produced by the third company that I worked within Europe included Moonshine Rocket Fuel, Rosebud and Blue Satellite. I mustadmit that the bubble hash from the Blue Satellite is among the finest and mostdesirable product I have sampled (outside of my own) since the 1980's!Unfortunately, the owner of this company was unable to successfully work with thelocal authorities and was forced to leave Switzerland. Some truly intrepidtales were spun during the brief stay there and I will remember many of themwith delight.

Canada, The True North Strong and Free

With glimmers of hope on the horizon, Canada is fast becomingthe Cannabis Breeding capital of the world. With the much-appreciated activismof entrepreneurs such as Marc Emery (et. al.), a new haven for a seriouslydedicated cannabis community is developing. One such entrepreneurial dedicateis Red of Legends Seeds. I met Red in Switzerland where he was very busy andinvolved working for the happening community there. Red is a high-flying, freespirit with a savvy sense of taste.

Red was able to orchestrate the necessary requirements toproduce a very large selection process. This grow consisted of about 400 plants(over 200 Blueberry phenos and over 100 Flo). Out of these there ended up beingover 160 Blueberry and over 70 Flo females and about 60 males that made theinitial cut. Copies of each of these were cloned and meticulously maintained bythe crew. This actually turned out to be a slight overkill, but a testimony tothe absolute dedication of the crew.

The Crew

Mighty-G is a green-thumbed master gardener whose success withcannabis is phenomenal. Mr. G was able to provide and maintain a near-perfectgrowing environment for a lengthy period of time as the plants were kept in anextended vegetive state to insure 100% clone success. The plants wereabsolutely beautiful. Kermit was in charge of clone reproduction andmaintenance. Kermit has been a respected part of the local cannabis communityfor many years. Chimera appeared online a few years ago and has proven himselfto be an intelligent and dedicated soul, along with being a focused horticulturistwith excellent credentials in the field of genetics. I first learned of Chimeraonline where he posted to a few message boards that I occasionally lurk and Iappreciated the information he shared. The Cannabis Cowboy also added hisexpertise, especially considering the collection, purification and pressing ofthe dry-sieved resin.

I just want to give a big “shout out” and a huge thank you toall of the crew for their very successful efforts on this project. You catsrock! Thank you.

The Process

The main room was divided in two with the Blueberry on the leftand the Flo on the right. The plants were relatively huge considering how longthey’d been in veg. Lush growth dominated as three distinct Blueberryphenotypes and two distinct Flo presented their development, along with a smallnumber of unique anomalies. Of course, all individuals were numbered andlabeled and notes were made over the course of several inspections during theflowering cycle.

During this period all of the males were isolated in a separateroom and watched closely to enable the best selection from them. From thisparticular gene-pool, I find it relatively easy to select the best males asthey tend to express their traits regardless of environment or light cycle.There were so many to choose from during this process that the difficultybecame who to cull out. Most of the males were at least to some degree resinouswith glandular stalked trichome, some more than others. This usually makes iteasy to test certain profiles such as overall flavors.

Only after the most desirable males are selected (i.e. all theothers rejected) are issues of structure and growth pattern considered. Sweet,fruity and floral expressions are most desirable, but attention is paid toother possibilities as well. Top quality candidates of indica, sativa andmutant anomaly are picked by process of elimination. Then those with the beststructure; hollow stems, good color and flower density, become the finalcandidates.

The females also pose the same problem in regard to who iseliminated. Notes are made as to any outstanding qualifications that presentthemselves during the bud cycle. But it is not until the sixth week in flower,and sometimes not until the eighth week (or longer if the variety is stronglysativa), that the real differences in individuals becomes apparent and thetruly amazing qualities shine. And even then, it only amounts to field-notesuntil well after harvest and the cut-and-dried product is totally cured. It isthen that the final selection process begins.

During our selection-crop numerous individuals could have passedthe requirements to be a great mother plant. By and large, the overall ratio ofdesirable plants that qualified for final selection from this crop wasapproximately 1:10 (employing DJ’s Law). As it turns out the elite ratio offinal candidates turned out to be approximately 1:30–the best of the best as itwere. By the eighth week in bud approximately two dozen individuals stood outas primary candidates. After these samples were individually labeled and jarcured for about two months, a total of eleven were of supreme quality. Believeit or not, the final elimination process among these eleven was perhaps themost difficult to complete. Part of the sprocess involved selecting one of eachof the three Blueberry phenotypes, one of the Flo, one Blue Moonshine anddeciding on the possibility of something new.

The Varieties

After the fourth week in bud, generally speaking, certaincharacteristics become apparent. On the Blueberry side of the room threedistinct phenotypes presented themselves, while on the flo side two lessdistinct phenos appeared. The three Blueberry phenotypes could be referred toas indica, sativa and variegated or mutated. The indica were shorter, denserand had larger calyx and bract leafs making the buds look plump. The sativawere taller, more slender leafed with more elongated buds of dense, smallercalyx. The indica tended to be of a stronger, more musky odor where the sativawere more delicate and floral. The variegated or mutated individuals variedmore in their aromatic palate with some seeming more potent than others. On theflo side the difference was less pronounced between phenotypes but two distincttypes developed. The primary difference was in bud structure and formation withone type growing with its bract leaves pointing more up and the other with itsbract leaves pointing down. Both were more sativa looking with dense buds ofsmall calyx. There was also a difference in potency of aroma between theseindividuals.

The seed stock “True Blueberry” currently under scrutiny derivedfrom f2’s that were very “BK” or Berry Kush-like. These f2 “BK”’s were crossedwith very “TF”, or “True Floral”, sometimes referred to as “Temple Flo”, matesin the f3 and/or f4 generation to brighten the head considerably. Once theright mix was discovered these f4’s (and beyond) crosses were inline bred(filial crossed) to stabilize the proper traits. The “flo” pheno’s are closerto the “TF” (“True Floral”, “Temple Flo”), headier side of the mix, mostreminiscent of the Highland Oaxaca Gold.

“Grape Krush” (or “Blue Krush”)–a productive, deep-coloredhybrid of very high quality. This plants exhibits partial to fullleaf-deformities of the “krinkle” type, but with good structure and heavy budproduction of large calyxes. The buds express a strong sharp/fruity odor with adistinct sweet/grape flavor brought out in the cure. A strong, long-lastinghead/body mix is evident in the finished product with an exciting, but not “racy”,head and a mild narcotic body. Very euphoric and desirable effects that mostseasoned connoisseurs prefer. 50-60 day flowering time.

“Flodica” – a mostly indica phenotype from the flo line. A rare,near-total recessive indica found by chance in the “TF” line (“TF”= “TempleFlo” or “True Floral”). Generally, the flo line sports very sativa likestructures of taller plants with slender leaves and spear-shaped buds. The“Flodica”, however, is a near-pure indica phenotype of short, stout, yetproductive, structure with very large, dense, dark indica buds. Very resinouswith heavy gland production of an earthen palate to the buds that produce avery strong, narcotic-type experience. 50-55 day flowering time. Unfortunately,the “Flodica” (and the “True Blue Moonshine”) were nearly sterile--i.e. no (orvery few) seeds developed, and were therefore culled.

“True Blueberry”–the ultimate hybrid of Blueberry expression.Selected for its superior quality from a large pool, this hybrid contains thebest from both worlds (indica and sativa). Medium height with long, fruity andproductive buds of medium sized calyxes. Beautiful lavender hues becomeapparent soon into the flowering cycle. The finished product is of the highestquality with sweet, elongated Blueberry buds destined to please the mostfinicky palate. High resin production as expected from the “Blue” family. 50-60days flowering time.

“True Blue Moonshine”–a true “hash-plant”. Selected for itsoutstanding production of large, clear gland heads, this mostly-indica hybridreally packs a musky/fruity punch. Medium height producing parge, dense budsglistening with trichomes. More musky than fruity with a burgundy/earthenflavor at cure. Top-notch Moonshine. 50-60 days flowering time.

“F-13"–a Holy Grail plant of four-star excellence.Previously unreleased, a very desirable product and potential breeder. Amore-sativa hybrid of medium height with long, spear-shaped, dense and resinousbuds and an earlier finish time than most sativa. The superfluous quality of thefinished product is remarkable: a clear, clean, crisp head of the kindest orderwith a sweet/floral flavor. This girl really rings the bell every time! Not forthe couch-lock crowd, this heady sativa is for those who truly enjoy itsstimulating yet comfortable appeal. A real day (or night) brightener. Mypersonal favorite from this batch. 50-65 days flowering time.

Stay tuned for future re-releases of Velvet Luna (formerly BlueSatellite and Blueberry Sativa), Moonshine Rocket Fuel and Rosebud in the not-too-distantfuture. Have fun and best regards toward your horticultural ventures. Enjoy!
  • Tokecrazy, CAMSTER626, Bueller and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

Outstanding article, thanks for posting it monsterbud! Peace! Pete
  • usstoner, OniusOniusOnius, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#3 OniusOniusOnius

OniusOniusOnius

The-l-Onius-Monk

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:03 AM

No wonder DJ has done so well with his genetics. He's got a beautifully simple cataloging system for his crosses. I know this post is kinda old-ish, but thanks for the article.
  • usstoner likes this

#4 usstoner

usstoner

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1728 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

yea good read man..thanks...
  • DogFaceDude likes this

#5 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:08 AM

I was missing the second part. Thanks for finding the complete article and for posting it.
  • GeeGee likes this

#6 monsterbud

monsterbud

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

I was missing the second part.

Thanks for finding the complete article and for posting it.

You are most welcome about the article.

Could you please send my best regards to Tink? Haven't seen her in a while
  • GeeGee and DogFaceDude like this

#7 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

You are most welcome about the article.

Could you please send my best regards to Tink? Haven't seen her in a while

You got it!
  • GeeGee likes this

#8 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

Poor Tink, her children are wearing her out. (she refuses to follow my advice on the uses of duct tape in child control actionleaf.gif ) But the crumb crunchers will be settling back into school so maybe she'll get caught up. As for DJ's article on breeding goes everybody who grows cannabis, whether they breed seeds or not, should read it. I think they would buy better seed if they kinda understand what the process is and why subcool and others produce the quality seeds and why some breeders suck like a Hoover on amphetamines.
  • GeeGee likes this

#9 chow

chow

cannasseur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts
  • Locationknee deep in a bowl of rice

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

even better bump!
  • GeeGee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic