Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

- - - - -

Making bushy plants, which strain is best?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:44 PM

Ok so as some know I'm going to be doing an outdoor grow this summer and I want to grow my plants to look like the native bushes around the area. I know some stuff about topping and pruning and training, but there are still some gray areas.

Would training an outdoor plant hurt it at all? It seems like the buds would get less direct sunlight if I tie them down. Maybe I'm wrong, someone let me know :rock on:.

Also, what strains would you recommend for this. I saw a really bushy AK-48 in the Nirvana pic section, Bushy plant pic

That would be perfect, but is it a good idea for outside?

Any good advice for a newb trying to grow that kind of plant?

PS. I'm not doing this half-ass so light would be the only problem, I've got the rest of the stuff down pretty well I think.

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 IceIceBaBy

IceIceBaBy

Just breakin' the seal, watch out!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

hey there...i grew outdoors last summer and ended up tying all my plants down in different directions to get more sun. it worked real nice..just use string and tie to something in the direction you want to go

#3 IceIceBaBy

IceIceBaBy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

i was growing AK-48...it was very nice outdoors the plants were loving life. just make sure you can get them as much sun as possible. the more the better. find out where the sun rises and sets and plant around that for maximum lighting.

#4 IceIceBaBy

IceIceBaBy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

i foliar fed my girls with regular garden sprayers. they got flora nova 2 pt. nutes (veg and bloom). gave them a weekly spray of neem oil mixed with SM-90 and hygrozyme. they were probably getting a min of 10 full hours of direct sunlight a day. i got some pic's of them in my indoor thread of the AK-48 outdoors. check em out if you want...they never made it to harvest though someone came along and chopped them all about 4 weeks before harvest..very upsetting so make sure your spot is safe and pretty remote

#5 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

I can't find your thread...can you post a link? Thanks for all the help already

#6 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

I can't find your thread...can you post a link?

Thanks for all the help already

he hasn't brought that thread over so far, his only grow journal is this a one till now at GP: http://www.greenpass...ts-welcome.html

if you want to grow a bushy outdoor plant it is best you start indoors and top it there several times so you will get several branches rather then a single main stem. those branches then you tie down and spread, they grow taller then and you go on with that ending with a huge plant. quiet simple actually.
just have a look at my outdoor grow from last summer: http://www.greenpass...-main-grow.html
been bigbud, a sativa heavy strain (75% sativa/ 25% indica)

#7 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

white rhino is a bushy plant, doesnt get too tall though

#8 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

white rhino is a bushy plant, doesnt get too tall though

and it is qiet mold resistent if i recall that part right... but it gets as big as well trimmed BB. that just stand the rain less since it is higher in sativa gens. so if our region is less rainy and warm till late fall BB is a very nice option to grow.

#9 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:15 AM

Williams Wonder is mold resistent, will bush out nicely when trained and is some POWERFUL smoke too.

#10 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hey takeanumber3333.....
1. Training an outdoor plant would not hurt at all.

2. Almost any indica would do well.

3. I think you'll find that growing outdoors will always have a bit of stretching as compared to vegging indoors, so you may want to veg inside first.

I hope this helps you.
Peace

Ok so as some know I'm going to be doing an outdoor grow this summer and I want to grow my plants to look like the native bushes around the area. I know some stuff about topping and pruning and training, but there are still some gray areas.

Would training an outdoor plant hurt it at all? It seems like the buds would get less direct sunlight if I tie them down. Maybe I'm wrong, someone let me know :aaargh:.

Also, what strains would you recommend for this. I saw a really bushy AK-48 in the Nirvana pic section, Bushy plant pic

That would be perfect, but is it a good idea for outside?

Any good advice for a newb trying to grow that kind of plant?

PS. I'm not doing this half-ass so light would be the only problem, I've got the rest of the stuff down pretty well I think.

#11 Guest_natmoon_*

Guest_natmoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

I always fimm my main plants to get the most tops,so far i havent seen a strain that it didnt work with all though some more finicky strains take longer to recover from it and grow new tops than others do. I will be fimming my seedlings in a couple of days if you want to look in to my pppxblueberryxsativa thread i will be providing detailed info and pics on how i do it. This particular strain that i have created doesn't like fimming or nutes to much but its getting fimmed anyway as i have a new pot design that i want to try out on it and i hope to get between 30 and 50 tops from one plant assuming they don't die or anything else goes weird that is:wink:

#12 IceIceBaBy

IceIceBaBy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

I always fimm my main plants to get the most tops,so far i havent seen a strain that it didnt work with all though some more finicky strains take longer to recover from it and grow new tops than others do.

I will be fimming my seedlings in a couple of days if you want to look in to my pppxblueberryxsativa thread i will be providing detailed info and pics on how i do it.

This particular strain that i have created doesn't like fimming or nutes to much but its getting fimmed anyway as i have a new pot design that i want to try out on it and i hope to get between 30 and 50 tops from one plant assuming they don't die or anything else goes weird that is:wink:

sounds good..i fimmed my Sea of Green a bunch and got between 4 and 8 flower sites at least on each. it looks pretty crazy. im anxious to see how this turns out

#13 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Yea me too. At the very least I learn a bunch and get at least a little good cheap weed.

#14 Guest_Rhinadonna_*

Guest_Rhinadonna_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

Any indica dominant strain will be good for growing short and bushy plants. Techniques like topping, FIM'ing, LST'ing, etc will increase the bushiness of your girls. :aaargh:

#15 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thats true, i used LST by tying the plant down with string and topped my ice plants, which are supposed to be tall shooting plants, but now, you cant even tell where the top is! hehehe

Any indica dominant strain will be good for growing short and bushy plants.

Techniques like topping, FIM'ing, LST'ing, etc will increase the bushiness of your girls.

:wink:

#16 godspeedsuckah

godspeedsuckah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

I am going to try the FIM method this season. I have read that you should FIM after the plant has 4 internodes, is that true? Wouldn't you want to wait longer for more branching before you FIM?

#17 Guest_nezzybc1_*

Guest_nezzybc1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

A good skunk strain is always good one, you can train them well too...Don't forget it's just a weed, an in general weeds can stand a hell of alot of punishment, get into it man,hack it any way ya want..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users