#2 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

hiya purplekushie.. :)

I'm Primary Carer for a schizophrenic gentleman...

He's had it over 30 yrs...

Cannabis is a very touch and go thing for someone with this illness...To a certain extent I would advice very cautious use of cannabis with schizophrenia.

It can quite possibly...and quite easily make a person worse...to the point of hospitalization.

So one must be careful.

Th@ being said...he has on occasion had a puff..just one or two...sometimes three...on a joint made of sunleaves...very mild.

For him it is enough...he might top up with a puff or two once or twice more over the course of 6 hrs or so.

I mean LITERALLY..he will have 1-2 or 3 puffs and then stub it out.

He ALWAYS takes a diazepam {valium} before his smoke...just in case {he has 300+ days of psychotic episodes a year... :rolleyes: }

He only has a smoke perhaps 3 times a month...and not every month...

He experiences and enjoys the 'head stone' and finds his thoughts clearer and consistent...it also puts him in a chirpy mood...and quite often he paints @ these times.

He also has a few good days afterwards on most occasions.

He's not much into a heavy body stone...but a heavy body stone CAN be a good thing @ times...

I would say stick to Indica's rather than Sativa's...Paranoid schizophrenia....you do NOT want the mind hyped up...you want it dulled...couchlock if need be.

I have not experience with any other schizophrenics or knowledge of most reactions to cannabis...I am simply forwarding my OWN experiences  with it.

His illness was not cannabis or drug induced...

But those whose illness WAS drug induced...I would strongly recommend not smoking!..

Ingestion MAY be a different matter...but I have NO experience with it yet.

muA
  • jangel, wereallstoned, plant boy and 6 others like this

#3 wereallstoned

wereallstoned

its always 4:20 :)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • LocationBay Area California

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

i had a very close friend years ago that was schizophrenic...he loved to smoke weed but a lot of times it would make him very paranoid delusional and at times would make him hallucinate and have what i guess you would call psychotic episodes...since then ive read in quite a few places that mmj isnt good for schizophrenics...can be quite bad in fact
  • jangel, plant boy, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#4 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

My son is Schizophrenic. He also has Tourettes syndrome, which can be a mixed bag of multiple problems. I have struggled with this now man since he was born. He is 20 now.

We believe his illness has progressed to where it is now because of his use of drugs. I mean such drugs as crack, and other drugs out there now. He cannot smoke. It induces psychotic episodes when he does.

He has been hospitalized since Dec. and is now in a half way home. I think now he is as delusional as he was going in. Every chance he gets he will smoke or do a drug, on day passes or wherever he is. Consequently, they have not been able to balance out his other meds. And this has also slowed to a stop his improvement.

For some with this illness it works. For others, it is totally the wrong thing to do...so be very cautious.

It is ironic that I own this site, work with this medicine all the time, and I cannot help my own son.

God Bless and keep you.
  • wereallstoned, plant boy, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#5 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

:)   :rolleyes: Jangel... It's the fact th@ thc effects brain chemistry...among other things...and this illness IS an illness of BRAIN CHEMISTRY... Ya don't wanna stir the fire with a stick of dynamite... muA
  • jangel, wereallstoned, plant boy and 3 others like this

#6 purplekushie

purplekushie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

Thanks guys !!! The info was very helpful !! IF two brains are better than one; then this forum is definitely the right place to find a solution!! Thanks a million-and never give up on the ongoing battle !!!!!! For , if you need me...... I'm just a double-click away :P
  • jangel, wereallstoned, plant boy and 4 others like this

#7 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

Whilst we are all attempting to find our own personal solution...by offering opinions, asking questions and giving answers...one thing we ARE doing is clearing a few cobwebs from the path ahead of us...

muA
  • jangel, wereallstoned, plant boy and 2 others like this

#8 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

the nature of things had an episode on this,,,,maybe CBC has it on there web site
  • jangel, wereallstoned, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#9 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hug Smiley :rules: Jangel...

It's the fact th@ thc effects brain chemistry...among other things...and this illness IS an illness of BRAIN CHEMISTRY...

Ya don't wanna stir the fire with a stick of dynamite...

muA

Thank you Medi...I appreciate that more than you know....hugs back sweetie!
  • wereallstoned, Itinkso and Blue61 like this

#10 foxlikemad

foxlikemad

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Locationblowgrado montana

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

what would you all say about some one who used to smoke back in the "good ole days" and loved it but now gets so very paraniod he cant smoke...? any suggestions?
  • Itinkso likes this

#11 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

How paranoid are you talking? does it settle or rise in waves...does it peak or plateau? I would think something th@ slows the mind would be better than speeding it up... Consciousness is a tricky thing to play with for the mentally ill. muA
  • Itinkso, Blue61 and DEBhasgrn like this

#12 buddering

buddering

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

wow very interesting. I suffer from various personality disorderes and marijuana really helps.
  • Itinkso, Transcendence, Blue61 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users