- - - - -

First time grower....think i have a good plan though

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

Ok so this will be my first grow and I've got what I think is a damn good plan.

I have a secluded spot that I will be using. It's on private property and no one ever goes there. The plants will be on the edge of a cornfield, right where the woods stop. They will be on the other side of the trees obviously, that way they can still get sun and no one will be able to see them from any direction, not even above. They will also be put next to evergreens for added safety. The strain I will most likely go with is Purple Power or Northern Lights.

I have my bro as a grow partner, and this is my plan so far. Two weeks before planting I go out to my campgrounds(this is just so I can start the process without my parents knowing) and start the grow indoors there. In a week my bro goes out there and keeps an eye on them. My campground is very close to the grow site so it works out perfect.

Next week my bro will come out and we will go to the site and prep the whole area. Then I go home and he stays with the seedlings. In another week I go back out and both of us spend the time to plant the trees, making sure to do a really good job with the camo and all. I will be bringing my dog along with us everytime we go to the site so it looks like were just running the dog if by some odd chance someone does see us go into the woods. Another advantage of the dog is I've read if you feed it meat the night before and that morning, and give a bran muffin while your at the site, deer and other critter will smell the poop and know its from a carnivore and stay away. I will also be putting
[FONT="][FONT=Verdana]diatomaceous earth or salt around the plants to kill off any slugs.

The rest will just be a waiting and watering game....

So, I have some questions for all you pro's out there.

This isn't really close to my house, so would you go with feminized seeds? Is there an easier way to get the males early, because I really don't want seeds here. I have a lot of space, so I could just plant them 50ft apart if it came down to it, is that far enough to prevent seeds if I do get a male?

Would you use a pulp pot or just put them in the ground?

What strain would you pick? I live in Northern Ohio if that helps.

There are deer all over the place, I heard dog hair helps a lot. Would you do that? If not I'll just put a bar of Irish Spring in a jar near-by.

I think I'm going with a small 2ft wire fence to keep the rabbits out, is there a better way?

Watering may be a problem, I was thinking I would just cut into an irrigation line from the cornfield. I doubt that would draw any attention, but I don't want to be a dick to the farmer. Any better ideas? I could dig up and underground stream but that seems like a lot of work for a little water, thats why I was thinking about using the pulp pots, but I want a big harvest so I'm not sure.

Also, what does
[/FONT][/FONT]Sea of Green on one m2[FONT="][FONT=Verdana] mean? Sorry if this is a dumb question, like I said I'm a newb to growing.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT="][FONT=Verdana]
Thanks in advance for any help

[/FONT][/FONT]

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

Here are some excellent links:

Grow Marijuana FAQ, Cannabis cultivation - marijuana growing tips & photos

#3 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

Thanks man I will read those tonight. I have read quite a few already but every time I see a new one I learn something I didn't know. I really do appreciate it bro...thanks again.

#4 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:34 AM

Until you mentioned northern Ohio, I thought you were describing one of my outdoor sites. Whew.

#5 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

Thanks man I will read those tonight. I have read quite a few already but every time I see a new one I learn something I didn't know.

I really do appreciate it bro...thanks again.

Sounds like a well thought out plan...good luck on your grow!

Were it me, I would start the plants indoors (if possible), then move outside as the weather allows in Spring.

Oh, by the way, Mogie is a Sis...not a Bro. Wish I had a sister that knows as much as she does!

Merry Christmas!

ISO

#6 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS Mogie Bro lol I got a kick out of that.Only a the innocent doesnt know.PEACE

:xmas::xmas::xmas:

#7 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:33 PM

Lol, my bad Mogie.

Sounds like a well thought out plan...good luck on your grow!

Were it me, I would start the plants indoors (if possible), then move outside as the weather allows in Spring.

Thanks, I'm a business student so I'm always thinking of how to maximize my production.

As for starting them indoors, thats the plan. I'm going to be germinating in a paper towel most likely and then planting in a peat pot for at least 2 weeks. When I decide it's time then they will be put in the ground.

I've also decided that I'm going to be using feminized seeds. I don't want to visit the site more than once a week and don't want to risk a male being a jackass and getting my girls.

Of course, if there were a way to sex before I put them in the ground I would most likely do that and save the money. Any ideas?

#8 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

If you can visit once a week I wouldn't pay the extra for fem seeds, I would just buy more.. Every week isn't enough time for a male to do any real damage. Just be on the ball when ever you do go to the patch, and kill any male you find.. Remember; Dig your holes real deep keep the soil loose. Also add peat to the soil to help retain moisture.. Looks like you have a good plan so far, Be pepared to change the plan at any moment.. Good luck!!

#9 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

Anything you dont find in the FAQ section easily, you can maybe find in the outdoor category, or by posting questions after you have looked these over first.

Sea of green is a term used to describe growing several smaller plants at once to get high yields, rather than a few larger plants. This allows for faster rotations in your crop. so if the light is completely covering a grid of several small plants its called a Sea Of Green or SOG. so a sea of green on one m2 means how many grams you can yield per square meter of surface area. ( about a 3 foot by 3 foot space )

Nirvana Seeds. Marijuana Seeds and Cannabis Seeds. Cheap Marijuana Seeds look for outdoor strains, those strains are strong fast growers with mold resistant qualities. tell them greenpassion sent you.

[FONT="][FONT="]Also, what does [/FONT][/FONT]Sea of Green on one m2[FONT="][FONT=Verdana] mean? Sorry if this is a dumb question, like I said I'm a newb to growing.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT="]Thanks in advance for any help[/FONT]

[/FONT]

#10 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:12 AM

I get what your saying Shaman, still deciding on A LOT of things. Basically I'm going to be having two patches, one for me and my friends bud and then another to make some extra money to help pay for college. For my personal patch, its pretty far away from my house. The reason for the fem seeds was because I really don't want to drive that far more than I have to. So the idea was to check how the weather has been in that area, and if it has rained then I skip the trip, if it didn't rain recently then me and my bro go out there and tend the plants. The advantage of the female seeds is that if it's been raining quite a bit and I don't go out one or two weeks I don't have to worry about the males. The other one I'm getting regular seeds for as it will be much closer to home. HoboCabbage - Thanks for the definition man.

#11 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hey I just had an idea but I don't know if it will hurt my plants at all. I'm going to be putting peat in the soil to help retain moisture already, and had also planned on putting dried grass clippings around the base of the plant to act as a mulch. But I was thinking, if the remote possibility of someone crossing my patch actually happened, a circle of grass clippings would stick out like a sore thumb. So after about 3seconds of common sense I figured I would just collect some of the crap on the ground around there in the spring and dry it out at home. Then use it as a mulch. My question is, should I use both or will that have an adverse affect? I'm pretty sure your not supposed to have to much mulch, but I just wanted to ask you guys.

#12 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

i have very limited experience with mulch. if you wanted to help contain your plants in a secret, unnoticeable manner. ive heard of people growing random tall green vegetation all around their crop, so you would have to walk into the middle to find out what else is inside. if you have to opportunity to tend to the plants every other day, i wouldnt bother with mulch, i would fertilize the plants as though they were indoor. the plants will get very little nutrients out of the soil, so you can control how much you add to it, by your fertilizing water solution... or.... you could also go organic and mix worm castings with the mix, and add more to the top every week. worm castings are high in nitrogen and are good for vegetative growth. bat guano can be used in flowering as it has a slightly high P and K concentration. if this is your first grow, i would not reccomend using organic fertilizing, as it requires a little more know-how and experience.

#13 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:50 AM

My outdoor soil mix 3 parts Potting soil to 1 part Sheep Manure, Then add this to the existing soil 50/50. You won't need to feed till fruiting/flowering starts.... For soil I use: Premier Pro-Mix Potting soil.. Never use fresh manure it is to high in "N" it will kill. Buy it composted from a garden center..

#14 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

I just had an idea! Like I said its right next to a corn field, and there are soybean fields around as well. Do you think I could just use that soil to plant? Thats got to be better than whatever soil's in the woods right? I would assume the soybean soil would be better, is that correct?

if you have to opportunity to tend to the plants every other day, i wouldnt bother with mulch, i would fertilize the plants as though they were indoor. the plants will get very little nutrients out of the soil, so you can control how much you add to it, by your fertilizing water solution... or....

you could also go organic and mix worm castings with the mix, and add more to the top every week. worm castings are high in nitrogen and are good for vegetative growth. bat guano can be used in flowering as it has a slightly high P and K concentration. if this is your first grow, i would not reccomend using organic fertilizing, as it requires a little more know-how and experience.

I can't visit that often so thats not an option, maybe it will be on another patch though.

#15 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

Remember the bigger the hole, and the looser the soil, the bigger the root ball, the bigger the plant will be.. A hole can never be to big!! I have heard of holes the size of 4-45g drums in Cali with plants that grew the size of orange trees..
If you want big plants you need room for lots of roots!!
I can not stress this enough.. This is a main key to huge plants..

#16 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

I just had an idea! Like I said its right next to a corn field, and there are soybean fields around as well. Do you think I could just use that soil to plant? Thats got to be better than whatever soil's in the woods right? I would assume the soybean soil would be better, is that correct?

I can't visit that often so thats not an option, maybe it will be on another patch though.

Do not, I repeat, Do not plant in soybean soil. It is usually treated with pre- and post-emergent herbicide for grasses. MJ, being a relative of grasses, will be very unhappy. Corn, which is also a grass, does not get treated with grass herbicide. I have grown in cornfields for years, with good results.

#17 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

If the soil in the cornfield is easy to dig, it should be fine without any amendments.

#18 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

Yes!!! I'm so happy I don't have to buy and carry all that soil, that would have sucked. I'm still going to be using all the nute's and peat and such since there won't be any irrigation, but not having to deal with the soil is a big plus. Does anyone here have any experience with topping the plants? I think I'm going to try to grow some really bushy bud by topping and pruning. Man, this plan is coming together so nice, can't wait to get started. Actually that's not true, I can't wait to get finished and smoke some homegrown with the bro.

#19 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

your better off buying bags of sterilized soil. it will ensure a fresh clean slate to start with. dig out holes and fill with your soil, or soil mixture. and for deer you can put heavy chicken fencing around each plant.

#20 IceIceBaBy

IceIceBaBy

Just breakin' the seal, watch out!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

dam, i miss the fun in outdoor grows..make sure your spot is very remote. mine got chopped a couple weeks before harvest last summer.

#21 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

your better off buying bags of sterilized soil. it will ensure a fresh clean slate to start with. dig out holes and fill with your soil, or soil mixture. and for deer you can put heavy chicken fencing around each plant.

I think when you take everything into account, the corn field soil would be best for my situation. Not only will it make it less expensive, but we won't have to transport it more than 30feet to the plant instead of carrying all those bags by ourselves. It will cut down on cost quite a bit, and also the chance someone sees us carrying a lot of bags of soil out to the middle of nowhere.

So, I was thinking I would go ahead and get a strain that I can top and prune to make it look like a lot of the bushes that are everywhere out there. Any suggestions on strains that do well when grown like this. I know Top 44 stays low to begin with, and Shaman told me Hog is the same way but I can't find any Hog seeds with reasonable prices, any links?

#22 Guest_takeanumber3333_*

Guest_takeanumber3333_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

Has anyone ever tried these Lowryder2 strain like this one http://www.headsite....yder-2-37-p.asp

I see the yields aren't that high but thats fine with me if they are what they say they are. Do they really finish in 9weeks? That seems to good to be true. Anyone had any success with them?

#23 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

Every body here know what I am going to say.... If you might have missed it, Lowryder SUCKS!! BOO!!

#24 knottyd

knottyd

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

Has anyone ever tried these Lowryder2 strain like this one http://www.headsite....yder-2-37-p.asp

I see the yields aren't that high but thats fine with me if they are what they say they are. Do they really finish in 9weeks? That seems to good to be true. Anyone had any success with them?

Every body here know what I am going to say....
If you might have missed it, Lowryder SUCKS!! BOO!!

My first thought was UH-OH..LOL I remember what happened the last 2 times someone said something about LR

#25 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

What can I say Iam not a fan of crappy bud, Sorry!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users