Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

What Fertilizer Do You Use?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: how much phos (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Doe you use a high phos, balanced or low phos bloom formula?

1. Voted high phos like 10-50-10 (15 votes [51.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.72%

2. balanced like 20-20-20 (9 votes [31.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

3. low phos like 10-3-7 (5 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

do you?

1. use 1 single fertilizer (5 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

2. Voted use a veg and bloom fertilizer (11 votes [37.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.93%

3. use 3 or more fertilizers (13 votes [44.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20507 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Let me climb up on my soap box again. There are no magic fertilizer/ nutrients/ supplements. Your plants need certain amounts of various elements to grow and thrive during their life cycle. There are no secret, magical nutrients that will make your plant sooper dooper giant plants. The fertilizer NPK ratio for veg is approximately 3-1-2 and 1-3-2 for flower. The numbers can vary a bit but those ratio's will get you close. Use quality ferts and don't overdo them along with proper watering and good light and you'll do well.
  • Tokecrazy, Turf, Bueller and 3 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Holy necro-post! I have shifted to almost all Jack's for hydro and am very happy with the results. Also, the cost is almost nothing. I saw several growers posting about this online, but the deal closer was when i stopped by a nursery to pick some up to try, I found that the place doesn't sell it, they use pallets of the stuff for the plants that they sell to their customers, everything from blooming orchids to trees and poinsettias and evergreens. The stuff is flat out amazing. Still need some Epsom Salts for Cal-Mg and I add molasses to increase brix during bloom along with Jack's Blossom Booster. Working well in both soil and hydro. I found it creap enough at the JR Peters website, directly from the mfg. No reason to pay too much from GH, AN Bot and the others as this stuff has everything the plant needs. I suppose if you are needing to squeeze every gram from your harvest and money is no object, there are ways to boost yield, but to simply grow the plants for great buds I have seen no better way. If I need another couple ounces I'll just grow another plant. I did a taste test with some local experts and the general consensus was that there was no substantial difference in the smoke, but the organically grown buds were a little more complex and "funky" smelling. No difference in the smoke. We did a secret ballot method with 3 strains, 6 samples, and the results were a lot less dramatic that anyone expected. I don't think anyone changed their methods, but it was fun to follow up on the online arguments and find no practical differences, other than the aroma, which is important to some folks. I'll be sticking with the Jack's.

• Tokecrazy, Turf, Bueller and 2 others like this

#28 jm420

jm420

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Locatione.coast ,and then some

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

this will piss someone off lol

sensi bloom coc

voodoo juice

bud ignitor

pirahana

tatrantula

sensizym

bud candy

rhinoskin

budfactor x

bigbud coco

b-52

nirvana

overdrive

not sure of the total npk

but works better than h3ads formula

• Bueller, plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#29 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hi jm420, I was was using a variety of the usual cannabis nutes until I discovered Jack's. I really liked the Botanicare line and tried terpinator, resinator and other finishing products, and they were fine, but the difference was so minimal that I have settled into a comfortable sweet spot with the Jack's. I do add a humic loaded 'growth stimulator' and always put mycorrhizal, like Great White, into the soil or hydro for young plants. The advice to look to the plants for guidance on what they need was the best guidance that I got from looking at a lot of grow logs.

The plants that I grow in hydro are used for making edible oil, so bag apeal and aroma are not a big deal, I just want the resin for extraction and simply need healthy fast growing plants. Buds for smoking come from soil grown plants, using Roots Organic currently, but for most waterings I'll add 1/8tsp per gallon of Jack's Original, Cal/Nit and, during flowering, Blossom Booster. Very healthy plants all the way thru is my objective.

Not being distracted by production needs, like commercial growers with budgets, is very liberating. I'll grow them as long as needed and delay the flip to flowering as long as the plants require for best performance in my little tent. Creating the best medical compounds is what my garden is about, and I have been lectured by friends who follow organic methods, that there are signifigant differences and that I should go organic. I have met several growers who have deep feelings about organic methods and I respect their opinions, but for my purposes, the Jack's is working great and I have no intention of changing unless there is a more compelling reason than aromas and an undefined general feeling of doing good for the cosmos, or something like that. Not intending to dis the rasta-man ways, just doing what works in my corner of the universe. It has been nice to not need to monitor pH and ppm for the last couple years. I haven't done anything to Denver water, the Jack's does all the work. This stuff is fine for vegetables too, my green beans in outdoor containers got it and were excellent. My organic friends call this adding chemical salts, trying to imply that there is something bad about using a powdered fertilizer, but I'm here to report that this stuff is great and works perfectly for cannabis. I follow the guidelines on the bags, but tend to use it at about half the rate suggested, watching the leaves to see if they need more or less.

I suppose this could be viewed as trolling by people who are firmly committed their own ways, but that is not my intent, just reporting what has been working for my garden.

• Turf, Bueller, plant boy and 1 other like this

#30 jm420

jm420

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:21 PM

gr8 post hehehe 

im not an an bible thumper

Hi jm420, I was was using a variety of the usual cannabis nutes until I discovered Jack's. I really liked the Botanicare line and tried terpinator, resinator and other finishing products, and they were fine, but the difference was so minimal that I have settled into a comfortable sweet spot with the Jack's. I do add a humic loaded 'growth stimulator' and always put mycorrhizal, like Great White, into the soil or hydro for young plants. The advice to look to the plants for guidance on what they need was the best guidance that I got from looking at a lot of grow logs.

The plants that I grow in hydro are used for making edible oil, so bag apeal and aroma are not a big deal, I just want the resin for extraction and simply need healthy fast growing plants. Buds for smoking come from soil grown plants, using Roots Organic currently, but for most waterings I'll add 1/8tsp per gallon of Jack's Original, Cal/Nit and, during flowering, Blossom Booster. Very healthy plants all the way thru is my objective.

Not being distracted by production needs, like commercial growers with budgets, is very liberating. I'll grow them as long as needed and delay the flip to flowering as long as the plants require for best performance in my little tent. Creating the best medical compounds is what my garden is about, and I have been lectured by friends who follow organic methods, that there are signifigant differences and that I should go organic. I have met several growers who have deep feelings about organic methods and I respect their opinions, but for my purposes, the Jack's is working great and I have no intention of changing unless there is a more compelling reason than aromas and an undefined general feeling of doing good for the cosmos, or something like that. Not intending to dis the rasta-man ways, just doing what works in my corner of the universe. It has been nice to not need to monitor pH and ppm for the last couple years. I haven't done anything to Denver water, the Jack's does all the work. This stuff is fine for vegetables too, my green beans in outdoor containers got it and were excellent. My organic friends call this adding chemical salts, trying to imply that there is something bad about using a powdered fertilizer, but I'm here to report that this stuff is great and works perfectly for cannabis. I follow the guidelines on the bags, but tend to use it at about half the rate suggested, watching the leaves to see if they need more or less.

I suppose this could be viewed as trolling by people who are firmly committed their own ways, but that is not my intent, just reporting what has been working for my garden.

hehehehe im no adavanced  bible thumper ,using them for the last couple round and happy with the results 

going run aptus next 

gh is my go to when time calls for it 

but have noticed a diffrence at the end of day

• Bueller, plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#31 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

Have you done a run with Jack's? I think Uncle Ben was the user who was pointing out this product on RIU a few years ago, and his report with pictures was what motivated me to look into it. I should probably leave him a thank you note. The reason that I share this info is mainly because this worked very well and is a way to save serious green for growers. I am always surprised how emotionally invested some growers become to their methods and nutrients, which makes it difficult to have a rational discussion on the topic. An organic grower once asked me if I would eat a spoonful of Jack's and I asked him if he would slurp up a spoon of his manure based compost tea. Something that I think everyone can agree on is the savings offered by CMH lights. I will probably make the switch in 2016, but it really comes down to cost, currently around $400-500 per light, which totally makes sense for commercial growers, but not quite for 1-2 light growers. Soon. Getting an indoor yield of good buds that costs less than $20/oz is what I am shooting for, but the cost of electricity is making that number difficult to reach.

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger and jm420 like this

#32 jm420

jm420

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

not personally on jacks ,i know peace pipes talked highly of it

i personally try diffrent stuff all the time no emotions i save that for christmas ;) but i get were your coming from ,but....

big money is yes imo for a good return

its not nutes its enviormrnt ,

im a 2 light grower that pays much less than 20 an oz,but that being said every grow is diffrent to the growers needs,fair to say right ?

so mylife has taught me to adapt and overcome Attached File  IMG_8831.JPG   213.57KB   0 downloads

• usstoner and KnuckleDragger like this

#33 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

There sure are a lot of ways to grow cannabis well. People who have never grown anything well seem to find their green thumb as soon as they decide to grow this plant. As far as plant experts, this one sure has garnered a lot of self-appointed great ones, complete with mega egos, which makes it hard to have an informative discussion. I met the guys from AN at the Cup in Denver this year and was surprised at the depth of knowledge they have regarding cannabis as a plant. Wish they had been handing out free stuff, I am too cheap to actually pay those prices for something that sounds too good to be true. Even if I did get 20% more yield, why spend 500% more? (Not sure about the exact numbers, but this is the idea.) So as far as preference and personal results, big fan of Jack's here. I'll get some pictures together and see if I can put a new thread together with the exact mixture and amounts. I grow in both hydro(aero) and soil, but use the same basic nutrient blend. Except for the molasses, that goes into soil only. Learning to go easy on the nutes is sure an important subject, I think we all get too excited and try to push them too hard as we are getting experience. The advice to start with half of what the label suggests has worked well for my garden. Growing for personal use can be a lot different than farming for profit. I am learning to grow what I like and not grow those strains that just are not fun to have around or consume. Skunk is a nasty aroma to me so I don't grow it. I can have potent weed without suffering from the smell. But it is kind of a rush when I open the tent and get a face full of "Bam, Dat's DANK"!

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#34 anothertime

anothertime

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1204 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

this post was oh so old but i voted anyway lololol good find!!!

i think as jim said if you spend your dollars on the environment  rather than nutes u do far better dollar wise.imo in a perfect environment they would grow well using any nutrient as long as the grower understands reading a plant so the adjustments are made causing zero stress on the plant!!!!

• BikerPepe, Turf and KnuckleDragger like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users