spun420

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

anybody ever tried using c02 pellets
http://www.petco.com...r:referralID=NA
in place of co2 generator or even with .........???
  • jangel likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

Not me...I have seen several versions of them for sale...they do look interesting and would probably suit a personal grow to a Tee. Interested in hearing of any GPeeps who have used this type of product. muA
  • jangel and OffDaBaba like this

#3 Debadoobie

Debadoobie

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Co2 needs to be regulated and monitored. It needs to be administered in certain concentrations to be effective. Using things like paint ball canisters, CO2 pellets, vinegar and water, yeast and sugar, dry ice, etc, etc is ineffective. You are far better off just exchanging the air in your space 2-4 times a minute with a good exhaust fan. Co2 also needs to be coordinated with your exhaust. You need an air tight room. You need enhanced lumens. You need.....

#4 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Co2 needs to be regulated and monitored. It needs to be administered in certain concentrations to be effective. Using things like paint ball canisters, CO2 pellets, vinegar and water, yeast and sugar, dry ice, etc, etc is ineffective. You are far better off just exchanging the air in your space 2-4 times a minute with a good exhaust fan. Co2 also needs to be coordinated with your exhaust. You need an air tight room. You need enhanced lumens. You need.....

I second that, without the proper control and release mechanism it only fumbling around. You need CO2 controller then can measure the ppm control a valve/burner, so either a electric valve on a tank or a propane burner(more economic then CO2 from a tank, yet causes extra heat again). In addition you will need a A/C unit or similar to cool the room as can't have an air exchange if you enrich the enviroment.
Key is to get from a normal 365-385 ppm to a constand 1800ppm, and that no yiest/sugar mix nor tabs can accomplish. These CO2 tabs are a major rip-off if you ask me as these little CO2-compost generators - my personal 2 cent.
  • jangel, Charlie Foxtrot and Huckleberry like this

#5 LonnRJ1

LonnRJ1

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:46 AM

Hi In another thread they were discusing using co2/& bags to kill mites, im wondering What you guys think of doing it with pellets ?

#6 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hi

In another thread they were discusing using co2/& bags to kill mites, im wondering
What you guys think of doing it with pellets ?

Putting a plant into a bag and fill that with CO2 to kill off spider mites?:D:

Well again, it take a high concentration, and that hardly to reach with pellets nor is it an economical methode. For that it takes a tank of CO2 loaded with several lb and nothing less ;)

Actually interesting idea to gas them with CO2 rather then spay toxic stuff at them. :)

Edited by green_nobody, 02 August 2010 - 01:49 PM.

• jangel, Bueller, LonnRJ1 and 1 other like this

#7 Vapor

Vapor

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

10000 PPM Kills mites dead....
  • jangel, LonnRJ1 and OffDaBaba like this

#8 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Would setting off a co2 extinguisher in a closed room be enough to kill bugs? Hmmmm. muA
  • jangel, Bueller and OffDaBaba like this

#9 Debadoobie

Debadoobie

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

It would depend on the size of the space and the size of the fire extinguisher. You may be able to figure it out if you know the volume of the fire extinguisher. Ten thousand parts per million is 1 part per hundred--really quite a high concentration. If you decide to do this, make sure that your room is air tight and that you do not put yourself in jeopardy.

#10 6951A

6951A

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health says that concentrations of Co2 greater than 4% pose an immediate health risk. 10,000PPMs is 1%. For me, that's too close. I don't know how exactly you would regulate the Co2 to land on 10,000PPMs. But I would not recommend it. There are safer ways to take care of mites. Maybe if you had a sensor that could read into the 10s of thousands of PPMS, with the readout, outside of your room. And you could control Co2 flow from outside your room. And the room with 100% sealed, with tape over cracks in doors etc. And you had powerful exhaust fans that could evacuate the room of the Co2. Maybe if you had perfect control over all of that you could flood your room with enough Co2 to effectively treat bugs. But that would be way more work, and still pose more risk to your safety, than just picking up a bottle of Bayer Forbid 4F to kill your mites.
  • jangel, Debadoobie and OffDaBaba like this

#11 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health says that concentrations of Co2 greater than 4% pose an immediate health risk. 10,000PPMs is 1%. For me, that's too close. I don't know how exactly you would regulate the Co2 to land on 10,000PPMs. But I would not recommend it. There are safer ways to take care of mites.

Maybe if you had a sensor that could read into the 10s of thousands of PPMS, with the readout, outside of your room. And you could control Co2 flow from outside your room. And the room with 100% sealed, with tape over cracks in doors etc. And you had powerful exhaust fans that could evacuate the room of the Co2. Maybe if you had perfect control over all of that you could flood your room with enough Co2 to effectively treat bugs.

But that would be way more work, and still pose more risk to your safety, than just picking up a bottle of Bayer Forbid 4F to kill your mites.

I doubt that anyone will load the entire room to 10000ppm - you put the plant into a 20 gal trash bag and fill it from the top straight with CO2 from the tank. That can be done even outdoors where proper ventilation is no problem. You might want to be careful is you use this method in a badly ventilated basement, but besides this it should be pretty safe if you use common sense.

#12 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

Would setting off a co2 extinguisher in a closed room be enough to kill bugs?

Hmmmm.

muA

I doubt it - unless your grow room isn't bigger then a small closet, air tight and you can keep it that way for a day or two.
And a 4lb CO2 extinguisher sales for around $70-80 a piece - a lb CO2 cost maybe $2, so a rental 20lb tank would be the better choice for the same kind of money.
My guess is that it will work best if the plants are sepperated from each other in trash bags that then be filled with CO2, you get the proper concentration that way easy and it can be maintained without much of a problem as the CO2 slowly sinks to the bottom of the bag.
  • jangel and Bueller like this

#13 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Some astute observations about my suggestions GPeeps...no wonder this site rocks....Safety first...on second thought my suggestion is probably not the best. Live and learn...:) muA

#14 brock 1

brock 1

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:03 AM

anybody ever tried using c02 pellets
http://www.petco.com...r:referralID=NA
in place of co2 generator or even with .........???

i thought these were just for feeding you roots c02 by adding them to your feed? i have a question relevant to this one. can you use backing powder and vinegar to do the same thing and feed co2 to your roots? as both change your ph would it be a bad idea trying it because it would react at the same time as testing and could change ph while reacting?

#15 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

I've heard of O2 for the roots...but CO2?...I'm not sure...Hmmmm :321: muA

#16 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

i thought these were just for feeding you roots c02 by adding them to your feed? i have a question relevant to this one. can you use backing powder and vinegar to do the same thing and feed co2 to your roots? as both change your ph would it be a bad idea trying it because it would react at the same time as testing and could change ph while reacting?

You could do it....if you wanted to kill your plants....you could do a lot of things, but would it work? no.

You need c02 in the form of a gas, not a liquid. c02 liquid is very very cold isn't it? and turns to gas on contact with atmosphere.
  • Bueller and bigfish like this

#17 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

Plants take CO2 in through the undersides of the of the leaf and using photosynthesis "cracks" the CO2 molecule keeping the carbon to make food for itself and releasing the oxygen back into the air. Plants actually "breathe" through their roots. This is why you can drown a plant with over watering and DWC uses aquarium air pumps to oxygenate the water.
  • DieAbetic, jangel and Bueller like this

#18 FXDXRider

FXDXRider

The Motorcycle Nomad

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

I don't think the C02 would kill the eggs thou...you would have to do that couple times a week to be effective' good luck!
  • Bueller likes this

#19 playk328

playk328

Seasoned Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I have never and I will never run CO2 tanks in my indoor set. I hear the yield from them is a little more, but to me it's not needed and it just seems to be more work. I like to use outdoor fresh air blown inside via vents and fans. It seems to work fine for me and I do not see the need in getting a co2.

#20 UkGreen

UkGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

iv just started off a very small grow and for an experiment i tried the whole sugar yeast water thing.... over the last few days the growth has increased slightly so im willing to keep it in there a while longer, if the sugar to yeast ratio is right then the c02 can be monitored... but then im a newbie lol so dunno if its anythin 2 go on leprican.gif

#21 Guest_ecstaticM_*

Guest_ecstaticM_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

iv just started off a very small grow and for an experiment i tried the whole sugar yeast water thing.... over the last few days the growth has increased slightly so im willing to keep it in there a while longer, if the sugar to yeast ratio is right then the c02 can be monitored... but then im a newbie lol so dunno if its anythin 2 go on Hug Smiley

What would you think about this type of product?

#22 texdog

texdog

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

WAS GOING TO USE THAT BUT FOUND IT EASYER TO USE CO2 BOOST BUCKET

#23 oogabooga

oogabooga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hey guys, im taking some plant ecology courses at uni, and learned that you want very low concentrations of CO2 in the root zone, as excess CO2 in the rootzone chokes the plant by excluding oxygen. Plants dont uptake co2 from the roots, they do all of it above ground, in the leaves. So if you have a hydro system that uses air for circulating water (like an airstone DWC) do not have the air pump intake close to the CO2 emitting device or else you will choke the plant. Ive been wondering whether pumping in O2 to the root zone with an oxygen concentrator(easiest to do in a DWC) would increase growth (this woudlnt be cost effective, just for curiosities sake).

#24 DirtMcJerk

DirtMcJerk

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationsparta area

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

‚Äči have used co2 with all the regulators and all and i honestly found the differences between using it and not using it was not substantial enuff to justify the cost or effort of using it so i sold my regulator and returned my tank for the deposit. i smoke alot while in my grows, which is often and i am constantly talking to my plants and breathing all over them and i feel this is enuff. if you find it works for you then do it. what works for some may not work for others.

#25 buddyholic

buddyholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have tried co2 tabs and they didnt work, ..... i used them first by dropping them in water near my plants, it made no difference at all .... then i tried putting a tab in the feed and my leaves started yellowing a little so i had to do an instant flush to save them. ... i think they are a great sales gimmick nothing more ..... I have found that a good vent bringing constant fresh air into my space is all my babies need. I also like the earlier comment when someone said their plants get a boost from you each time you go in your room, you breath out what your plant breathes in to produce sugars ect so the longer you are with your plants the better they will be, .... we release huge amounts of co2 when we exhale, this is why in the olden days people used to believe that it was in singing to your plants that they bloomed better, LOL guitar.gif Isn't she lovely !..... Isn't she wonderful .... Isn't she precious ! Tra Laa laa guitar.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users