2 replies to this topic

#1 time4me

time4me

nature lover

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

So I really like Subcool's recipe for soil. Unfortunately I have RA, and trying to mix any large amount of soil is just out of the question for me. So I came up with a solution I thought might be close, and I hope it works. So far every baby is happy. I found a local landscape place that caters to organic gardeners, and they mix their own soil, so I got a chicken manure compost for the super soil. That was supposed to become the bottom third of 3' of soil, but dh decided to put it all in one raised bed and the organic soil mix in the other two. Oh well, at least I have raised beds! I have a WW and I heard they really like hotter soil. She LOVES the compost! I dug out the compost where I wanted to put in some TGA gear and filled it with the soil mix, knowing that there were hotter nutes all around. For the beds that had soil mix, I dug out to the bottom where the regular soil is, filled it with 6" of compost then soil mix and planted. So far everyone is happy and liking it. Next year I am hoping to get a larger greenhouse and will add the soil like I want it (hopefully), but for now I think I have a good mix. I don't add anything but water to my babies and they all look very nice. The cost is also beneficial. I paid about $60 to fill 3-5' x 3' raised beds with 3' of soil each. I think it was 4 yards or so. With the chicken manure compost it would probably last 2 years or so, but I plan to add to the soil each year as well. They will also let me do custom mixes, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe next year.....
  • I8ntLucky_UR likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 I8ntLucky_UR

I8ntLucky_UR

Opiate Free Now

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

Glad you found a way to use the soil. I"m lucky to have a strong son around to help. Post up some pictures of the plants I would like to see how they are loving the chicken manure. One of our other Mod's Ileso uses chicken poop and he swears by the stuff.
  • GeeGee likes this

#3 papadank

papadank

TGA Green Avenger

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

Glad your having luck with the chicken poop. I don't often suggest products, but you should try Dr. Earth soil. I have been using a soil very similar to Subcool's for almost 1o years now and the Dr. Earth makes it where I don't have to mix much. I add my flowering nutrients, give it turn and rock and roll. To date, I have tried every commercial soil made and Dr. Earth BLOWS them all out of the water. In fact, nothing has even come close. After growing so long, I don't much smell my garden anymore, but using this stuff, I have new and improved smells. Get your hydro shop or local garden center to order it for you. Peace, PD
  • GeeGee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users