38 replies to this topic

#1 AncientGreen

AncientGreen

Exploring everything Green, 1 by 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else here has MS, Bi-polar, and or/ ocular migraines, and if they use marijuana to medicate themselves. And also, how they found out about marijuana in relationship to their' symptoms. Do you have any advice for someone about to go for their' Medical Marijuana card in Hawaii? I'm a little unsure at this point, because when I've smoked marijuana in the past, i have been more aware of my body, and so I noticed the MS symptoms. But now I wonder if the weed caused the MS, or if it was something I always had. I knew I had issues when I was a kid, but damn. Anyways, thanks for your input guys, it's much appreciated.
  • Itinkso, Citation10Jet, DEBhasgrn and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

Medicine Maker/Healer/Derelect

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

I personally am not afflicted with any of your problems but know a fellow who used to come here, now I assist him in his growing and processing on a personal basis. He does NOT smoke but reduces his MMJ to oil and uses this to help with his MS. It helps him.
  • Itinkso likes this

#3 AncientGreen

AncientGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

I see, yes, that's better for you.
  • Itinkso likes this

#4 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else here has MS, Bi-polar, and or/ ocular migraines, and if they use marijuana to medicate themselves. And also, how they found out about marijuana in relationship to their' symptoms.

Yes...probably...yes and YES!:)

I smoke it...I drink and eat it.

Some strains help my epilepsy and migraines a lot...LR#2 and fruity type buds...

I find my ms symptoms progress when I do without cannabis...it slows or halts when I have access to cannabis.

BHO and other oil concentrates have the most beneficial effect for me...as does canna-milk.

muA
  • usstoner and Itinkso like this

#5 AncientGreen

AncientGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

you're the first other I've met. I feel some relief, thankyou.

#6 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

You're welcome...I'm sure there are more around... The good thing on this site is even if GPeeps don't suffer from YOUR illnesses, they have a great compassion for all who suffer....many of the GPeeps here are compassionate growers and give freely of their time, knowledge, experience AND help those they can. muA

#7 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26122 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hi AG!! I have two friends with MS that are gifted medibles, grow boxes and clones. My dear friend Tim was diagnosed in 1994 and although a Toker, the disease was progressing albeit slower than the Dr's indicated. We commence a program of medibles from ISO extracted MJ in Feb of 09. Tim has a motorized scooter, braces and a home health aide..... none of which are in use as Tim continues to Golf and live a good life. He raises two teenage daughters by himself and is one of the most caring and positive people I have met. His pharmas now are down to $70 a month for one compound that is specially blended for him. No other meds are taken. Also my friend Clem has MS, I have written of his journey and he continues to improve with a goal of walking again. The first thing he lost was his hands, they retracted and became useless in 1996, he lost his voice beyond a whisper in 2007. He was at 88 lbs and the death watch was on in December of 09 when our gifting commenced with a dose a day.. Clem gained 12 lbs. Is out of bed, can move and use his hands although not "perfect", in my world, it is! ' He called his Mother on the telephone without amplification and can be heard around the room over the TV where before it was a whisper and we leaned into his lips to make the sounds words in our minds. My wife is Bi-Polar, a Registered Nurse by profession and although for years was totally against MJ, she has read enough and seen enough to take the med and put down some of the pharmas she took, this has resulted in her losing the extra 45 lbs that she gained, she is stable, loving and the pajamas in the chair crying days are fading into distant memory along with the rages and explosive outburst.... gone, my wife is the beautiful loving lady I met again. Do I use it? ABSOLUTELY! I have arthritis, retina disease and Hep C ...... and at 58 my avitar is STILL my life, my knees that were to be replaced according to my ortho surgeon are still my knees.....eyes are stable with no laser to close the holes needed since I increased dosage and Hep C? Well it just is something I have learned to live with and with the exception of a slightly enlarged liver I do all right. Does MMJ work, for the symptoms you have given, from personal experience, observation of people I care for.... There are no negatives to be found, only relief... Bless you in your journey, Pete

#8 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hi AncientGreen, hope all is well,, Before I start I would like to say, Thank you Pete for sharing your real life stories,,, Very encouraging and touching... I am bi-polar, was diagnosed three years ago at the age of 50.. I lived a life of hell most of the time so when I was finally properly diagnosed it was almost a relief, it all made seance now,, I have been smoking Cannabis most of my life, I had never thought of it as me medicating myself, not until I found Green Passion and started doing the research.. I have always known that the herb was of tremendous help to me during my months and years of being in the black hole as I call it.. Cannabis has saved my life a few times, I know this because I am here to tell the stories,, Cannabis also has kept me from those fast going highs that we who have bi-polar go through,, It has kept me from self destruction at times when I needed it most.. In my life now I still medicate with Cannabis and I am also on prescribed medication,, I will probably forever be medicating myself with the two.. My life is so much better now,, I am not self destructive and I don't want to die,, Since doing the research I understand more as to just how important Cannabis has been to my health,, I know if not for having been a smoker most of my life I would not be here right now...
  • strider, Itinkso, couchpotatoking and 1 other like this

#9 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

If you haven't done so already, Check out Granny's List on all three subjects that you are looking answers to.. It will give you some relief, I promise.....
  • strider, Itinkso and couchpotatoking like this

#10 Storm Crow

Storm Crow

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

My Mom was bipolar, I'm just "moody", but cannabis keeps me on an even keel. It just makes the day go a little bit smoother, no matter what my biochemistry is doing!

I also have migraines, which cannabis prevents! Mine are from a childhood head injury, so they are not typical. As long as I get some cannabis every day, zero migraines! If I have a sativa dominant strain I sometimes get "shadow migraines". They have the same pain pattern as a migraine, but only "headache" strength. I love my indicas!

As for the MS, I have no person experience, but long ago a kid on a forum related the sad story of one of his friends...

Friend was a heavy pot smoker/ dealer - he used every day, several times a day. But he lucked into the chance at a sweet job with a real future, but they drug tested. So he quit, and one night in the shower, he collapsed, later to be diagnosed with MS. Considering recent studies that show that cannabinoids can slow the progress of MS, it is possible that the cannabis was holding off the symptoms. The symptoms appeared only after he quit... and he didn't get the job. chewiegif

I don't know whether this story is true, or pure BS, but I though it might give you food for thought. Here's the most recent stuff I have on MS-

Standardized Cannabis in Multiple Sclerosis: A Case Report (full - 2010)
http://www.ncbi.nlm....60/?tool=pubmed

New approaches in the management of spasticity in multiple sclerosis patients: role of cannabinoids (full - 2010)
http://www.ncbi.nlm....?tool=pmcentrez

Meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of Sativex (nabiximols), on spasticity in people with multiple sclerosis (abst - 2010)
http://msj.sagepub.c...ourcetype=HWCIT

Julie Falco brings hope to Multiple Sclerosis patients. Cannabinoids manage pain and promote repair! (news - 2010)
http://www.examiner....-promote-repair

Weed Control Part 1: MS sufferer finds relief with medical marijuana
(anecdotal/news - 2010)
http://www.thestarph...8412/story.html

That's just for the last 6 months- my list has a lot more!

Granny ;)
  • Itinkso, couchpotatoking and DEBhasgrn like this

#11 AncientGreen

AncientGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

Thanks so much guys for sharing, I'm so glad I found this place.
  • Itinkso likes this

#12 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

Thanks so much guys for sharing, I'm so glad I found this place.

And we are glad you found us too....
  • Itinkso and couchpotatoking like this

#13 gramma watt

gramma watt

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

My dear hubby is bi polar...and as the THC and Cannabinoid levels decrease..his mood swings get more severe each day. We are poor and cannot afford to go to the doctor...we relied solely on Cannabis.

#14 jnandai

jnandai

Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

I have had a diagnosis of bipolar, MS and seizure disorder. I still have mild depression, some neuro issues and frequent seizures. MMJ works on all these conditions for me, and more. I also use it for migraines and insomnia, and digestive paralysis (currently mild also). I am improving more all the time, especially since using MMJ more frequently during the day. I mostly vape, and sometimes take tincture when I can't vape/smoke in public. Medibles are not working right now, due to digestive and food allergy issues. Namaste'

Edited by jnandai, 24 July 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#15 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

See? :D:) ...I toldya there was more of us out there! :banana:   :lol: muA
  • strider, Itinkso and couchpotatoking like this

#16 strider

strider

Calif. Caregiver

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • LocationLeft Coast

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Yeppers Deb, been married to my bi-polar wife for 35 years and it wasn't until she was peoperly diagnosed and given the proper med regimen, that her "life became normal". She has self medicated since her early teens and ganja has always been in her life. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by strider, 25 July 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#17 ganjaluvr

ganjaluvr

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else here has MS, Bi-polar, and or/ ocular migraines, and if they use marijuana to medicate themselves. And also, how they found out about marijuana in relationship to their' symptoms.

Do you have any advice for someone about to go for their' Medical Marijuana card in Hawaii? I'm a little unsure at this point, because when I've smoked marijuana in the past, i have been more aware of my body, and so I noticed the MS symptoms. But now I wonder if the weed caused the MS, or if it was something I always had.

I knew I had issues when I was a kid, but damn.

Anyways, thanks for your input guys, it's much appreciated.

Wow. Yeah, I don't know what to say other than I can assure you that smoking mj didn't cause you to have MS. MS isn't something you catch.. it's something your born with. It's always been in your genes.. it's how you were created.. its how your genes formed. :) Means your DNA is some what outta whack.

peace.
  • Lydia, Itinkso and DEBhasgrn like this

#18 Lydia

Lydia

ॐ ॐ ॐ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1784 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

am currently being assessed for MS, but no clear indication as yet, most of my pain is neuropathic, and worse when am stressed... I have used MJ since i was 16.... Looking at my medical hx, reads like any MS patient in the early stages except for the optic neuritis,

#19 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hope things turn out for the best Kaz,, Blessings
  • Lydia, Itinkso and couchpotatoking like this

#20 oOBC_KushOo

oOBC_KushOo

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Very touching stories, makes me not want to quit smokin green, then all my true problems will arise. Does long term marijuana use cause bi polar? MS?

#21 oOBC_KushOo

oOBC_KushOo

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

http://www.mentalhel...pe=doc&id=28964 "I have directly witnessed the tragedy of patients going off of their medications for Bipolar Disorder, using marijuana and ending up re-hospitalized in worse shape than any time prior to the relapse. In fact, it has been my experience that many of these unfortunate patients experienced multiple relapses and were caught in an endless cycle of hospitalizations marked by periods of instability in between."
  • Itinkso likes this

#22 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

This is my experience on the use of mj and bi-polar,, I was finally diagnosed with bi-polar four years ago. I lived a life of hell while being put on prescription drugs that now I know from research made it worse,, Back in my day the medical field did not know much about bi-polar and neither did I, I just knew It was a crazy life and the depressions were dangerous,, Since being diagnosed I have spent time thinking back on my life on when they symptoms started,, The symptoms started at a very young age,, long before I started using mj.. Through out my life I honestly with all that I know, I believe my use of mj saved me from suicide more times then anyone should go through,, Mj settled me down when I was manic,, For me mj was a life saver, It did not cause my bi-polar, it did not make is worse, It saved me, I would not be here today if I had not used mj at times of desperation.. I am now on the proper medications that are right for me.. I would never stop taking my meds and go to only medicate with mmj,, I medicate with mmj for my pain and anxiety, it does not affect my mental state as far as the bi-polar goes,, The only thing that would affect the bi-polar is if I was to go off my meds,, MJ can not alone take care of the person suffering with this horrible disease, People need to know this.. I hate taking the prescribed pills, I would rather go all natural, but that is not the way I or anyone else can go,, So again,, for me mj did not bring on the symptoms of my bi-polar,, What it did is kept me from suicide when so uncontrollably depressed, it also kept me mellow when I became manic.. A person is born with bi-polar, Each persons symptoms come on at a different time then the next person,, for me it came on way before my use of mj
  • Lydia, Itinkso, couchpotatoking and 1 other like this

#23 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

I just noticed that I now have posted twice on this subject,, sorry,, I just get very emotional when it comes to this subject,, Each person reacts differently to the prescribed meds just the same as each person reacts differently to marijuana,, no two people are alike, But mj does not cause bi-polar,, It may not help some people but it does not cause it.. Until they know more bout this disease, If you and your doctor have finally come up with the right prescribed meds for you,, Please stay on them
  • Lydia, Itinkso and couchpotatoking like this

#24 Lydia

Lydia

ॐ ॐ ॐ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1784 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

MS to the best of my knowledge is when the sheath around your spine and brain begins to deteriorate, and can cause a wide range of of early symptoms that may be explained by other illnesses or have no reason at all so diagnosising it is difficult, early sx include pain, fatigue, depression,numbness, pins and needles,urinary/bowel problems,burning sensations,twitching and tremors,optic neuritis. There is no distinguhing factor for diagnoisi MS, but a good gp and a very good medical hx, going back to teen years, and an MRI, it can be seen. in my personal hx i had uncommen viral illnesses in my teens, my problems is shooting pains,in my back, down my leg, burning pain in my shoulder, numbness, pin and needles, fine tremours, stiffness and fatigue, urinary/bowel problems... Stress can see an increase in symptoms for MS patients, i am worse when stressed... MJ for me, stops the burning, eases the numbness,eases the pain,STOPS the tremours, i sleep better so i'm not as tired, it makes me feel easier in myself, eating it regualsers the bowels completely.Growing it makes me happy...i can feel the silly grin crawling across my face as i open the magic door, and i get that smell, and take that first deep breath...its my few minutes peace even though i'm doing stuff out there, its like my own personal jungle, warm sunshine wonderful healthy smell, undulating brezze, with the sound of trickling water... i sit on my plastic stool...and smile...heaven.
  • Itinkso, jnandai, couchpotatoking and 1 other like this

#25 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

Stress can see an increase in symptoms for MS patients, i am worse when stressed...

MJ for me, stops the burning, eases the numbness,eases the pain,STOPS the tremours, i sleep better so i'm not as tired, it makes me feel easier in myself, eating it regualsers the bowels completely.Growing it makes me happy...i can feel the silly grin crawling across my face as i open the magic door, and i get that smell, and take that first deep breath...its my few minutes peace even though i'm doing stuff out there, its like my own personal jungle, warm sunshine wonderful healthy smell, undulating brezze, with the sound of trickling water...
i sit on my plastic stool...and smile...heaven.

I second th@!

muA
  • Lydia, Itinkso, couchpotatoking and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users