Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

So what do you think and more important, do ya think?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

Yeah i know im new to the site an all, but i freaking hate when ''Special Needs'' is used. Iv worked with people with disabilities and worked hard to change opinions about the attitude's of people who are not disabled. Its all about putting the person first, called ''person first language''. Like ''that dude uses a chair'', dude referring to the person. Heck i faxed the local news paper about it, they called and thanked me a bunch. Then a friend wheeled 50 miles when he turned 50 years old, it was cool. The front page he made ''Man in wheelchair pushes 50 miles on Birthday''. I was jacked man. I think the section should be called ''Person's with Disabilities'' section, room or what ever. My Degree was all about doing this sorta work. Its like people with disabilities helping people with disabilities. Great job, to bad i got sick an had to give it up, but will get back into it soon. Just like any group of people, we need to stick together. So what do you think, im not trying to come in all new and try and change stuff, but as an advocate i had to say something, ya know:cool:
  • Brer Rabbit, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Brer Rabbit

Brer Rabbit

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • Locationemerald isle

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:01 AM

BIG respect LetsSeeYa . I'm kinda lost tho to you'r ask ?
We have Granny Stormcrows list
http://www.greenpass...ead.php?t=21434
Everybody here is helping here as far as i can see .
We are a medical site . I think :)
I like you'r suggestion and good luck with it .
  • Itinkso, teddys head and DogFaceDude like this

#3 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

I understand where you're coming from...

Everyone has special needs, it's just some who have obvious special needs.

Hang around and you'll find there are quite a few here who have 'special needs'.

I walk with the aid of a stick {one of those damn arm grasping ones} on journey's of more than a few meters. Done my time in a wheelchair.

muA
  • Itinkso and teddys head like this

#4 ms.erge

ms.erge

young' un

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Locationin your imagination

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

I work with children that used to be referred to as "special ed", now the school district has changed the term to "Exceptional Education."

#5 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:12 AM

I don't hold with outrageously PC decisions/names though. I am disabled....it is a fact. you, from the sounds of it are more profoundly disabled... But like myself, YOUR mind is in perfectly fine working order. One of the great things I find being here...The mind...the person...YOU...and me, and everyone else here, is appreciated for ourselves...not the problems 'The World' defines us by. However....everyone has @ LEAST one 'Marty McFly-Trigger-Word'.:) muA

#6 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

BIG respect LetsSeeYa . I'm kinda lost tho to you'r ask ?
We have Granny Stormcrows list
http://www.greenpass...ead.php?t=21434
Everybody here is helping here as far as i can see .
We are a medical site . I think :)
I like you'r suggestion and good luck with it .

I have seen Storm Crow's list and thought it was incredibly. No other such list ever. She has worked hard to put it together and will someday be something i could see, be published after laws change:)

And im not asking for anything really, but only wanted to see the response. Would i like to see the form name change, sure but this would be as far as i would go with it. And i do see a lot of help here, the other site i was at didn't even have a forum like this and was a MMJ site, makes no sense to me.

Thanks for your thoughts tho:cool:

#7 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

Certified Caregiver Cultivator

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

well, my brother is in a wheel chair, my prior tenant has a broken back, my neighbor has a broken back...and for anyone that is slow...the terms are mentally challenged. Just like in Olympics, Specially Challenged Individuals... funny tho..... I never see the chairs or the disabilities...I see the face on the person....and if help is needed...than it is given... I never take my own abilities for granted..cause they could be taken away in a heartbeat. My brother lived with anklo spondilitis until a motorcycle accident...took more of his abilities away..he still built a house prior to that...due to partial paralysis...neck broken, back broken....

#8 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

I understand where you're coming from...

Everyone has special needs, it's just some who have obvious special needs.

Hang around and you'll find there are quite a few here who have 'special needs'.

I walk with the aid of a stick {one of those damn arm grasping ones} on journey's of more than a few meters. Done my time in a wheelchair.

muA

Yeah even people who have no disabilities use ''tools'' to get through their day. Like you use your stick as a tool. These rigged up things we use only because we gotta are ''tools'' which we use to live, just a bit different.

I have a stick that a friend cut from the woods in 92 and still use it. lol I have knock down glass cooking dishes, then catch it, to using it to clean the floor with the help from a rag.

Thanks for posting, its important for me to see what people with disabilities think in here and the attitudes they put out:cool:

I work with children that used to be referred to as "special ed", now the school district has changed the term to "Exceptional Education."

I really hope this change happen a long time ago as the movement for equality started in the 60's when a man in a iron lung wanted to go to classes at Berkly. Its was started around the civil rights movement. And oh by the way, the dude did go to Berkly.

Thanks for your interest, labels change some much, i think its just trying to keep up:)

I don't hold with outrageously PC decisions/names though.

I am disabled....it is a fact.

you, from the sounds of it are more profoundly disabled...

But like myself, YOUR mind is in perfectly fine working order.

One of the great things I find being here...The mind...the person...YOU...and me, and everyone else here, is appreciated for ourselves...not the problems 'The World' defines us by.

However....everyone has @ LEAST one 'Marty McFly-Trigger-Word'.:)

muA

Well it goes like this. The average Joe is glad he/she doesnt have a disability, then the para is glad he/she is not a quad, but then the quad is glad he/she doesnt have a mental disability. But this could start and finish at any point of view.

And ''we'' define ourselves here and every place we go. Never let society label you or us. Thats pretty much the idea of the thread, just not a name change, but what the name is used for.

And i really like the description '' The art and science of growing with physical impairments''. This explains the forum very well, with much class.

Thank you everyone, great posts and hoping this section picks up a bit. I started reading a log and half way through, i found it was last year and not finished. Maybe il move mine here if its cool? Not sure of the forum as there was only one ''how too'', which was good, but not much else.

SeeYa:)

Show Threads Show Posts
Tag SearchAdvanced Search
User Control PanelGP ToolbarGP Live ChatYour ProfileEdit SignatureEdit AvatarEdit Your DetailsEdit OptionsPictures & Albums Private MessagesCalendar

User Control PanelEdit SignatureEdit AvatarEdit Your DetailsEdit OptionsUser Control PanelEdit SignatureEdit Your DetailsEdit OptionsMiscellaneousPrivate MessagesSubscribed ThreadsYour ProfileWho's Online

Go to Page...

#9 Diversified

Diversified

Old Timer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

I worked for 19 years with people with developmental disabilities. I have to tell you, the people I helped were more honest and down to earth then the people I worked with (other employees). The people I helped knew what limitations they had. The people I worked with saw them as a disability not a person. It was really a sad situation seeing the people that were hired that had no compassion for the people they were supposed to be helping.
  • Itinkso, teddys head and LetsSeeYa like this

#10 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

well, my brother is in a wheel chair, my prior tenant has a broken back, my neighbor has a broken back...and for anyone that is slow...the terms are mentally challenged.
Just like in Olympics, Specially Challenged Individuals...
funny tho.....
I never see the chairs or the disabilities...I see the face on the person....and if help is needed...than it is given...
I never take my own abilities for granted..cause they could be taken away in a heartbeat. My brother lived with anklo spondilitis until a motorcycle accident...took more of his abilities away..he still built a house prior to that...due to partial paralysis...neck broken, back broken....

Hey Cali m sorry i missed you in my quote. But i did a practicum at a ''work shop'' which was to teach people w/ disabilities how to work and the basic purpose was to enable them to work in the community. But the pay was odd. It was day pay at minimum wage, but if they the workers didn't fill the pre determined boxes, it turned into how much did ya do? This rate was ridiculous as some people took home a check for $1.24 for a weeks pay. While the so called non profit made money big time. I ask why this could be. they only told me that each worker had been explained this, but talked to much or didn't stay on task. At the same time, there was no supervision of the workers to teach just how a good check was made. I was so pissed at what they did and they are still doing it. I did my 70 hrs and got out of there, it was sad.

I ran into a guy i met there who was blind, but when i said ''ya remember me'' he knew spot on who i was. He told me he was still there and this guy could work and in 15 years you would think the sweat shop could find him a job in the community, nope he makes to much money for them. I really didn't know what to say as he was very proud of his work and worked a full week with little pay to show for it.

Its sad but happens way to much an often.

Thanks for your input, people need to know this stuff:)

#11 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

Hi there Letseeya...very nice to meet you! We are more than happy to change things if memebers let us know and we agree it is an improvement. We are more than happy to do that actually. We can't know it needs fixing or how you feel until you tell us, and we do try our best. We don't know how members in this category feel about things unless they tell us though, so thank you for that! We try and be responsive to what people's needs and feelings are on specific things. After all, this site is for the members that share on it. It matters very very much to all of us. Glad to have your input and your wisdom here. Thank you and Welcome to the GreenPassion Family! Peace
  • Itinkso, teddys head and LetsSeeYa like this

#12 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hi there Letseeya...very nice to meet you! We are more than happy to change things if memebers let us know and we agree it is an improvement. We are more than happy to do that actually. We can't know it needs fixing or how you feel until you tell us, and we do try our best. We don't know how members in this category feel about things unless they tell us though, so thank you for that! We try and be responsive to what people's needs and feelings are on specific things. After all, this site is for the members that share on it. It matters very very much to all of us.

Glad to have your input and your wisdom here. Thank you and

Welcome to the GreenPassion Family!

Peace

Well i sure am convinced of that Jangal:)With a simple suggestion from a new member speaks very loud to the site. I believe that the site will grow with these kinds of attitudes. Its the sort of site i want to be a part of and know others who would enjoy it as much as i have, in the few days iv been here. I very much thank you for the change and as much the welcome. I also give you my thoughts of better health as i understand the stress and hardships that goes with it.

Again, thank you,

LSY

#13 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

We do what we can. It is about working together, we feel, not only here, but for legalization all over the world. So how could we be different here? Peace

#14 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

Certified Caregiver Cultivator

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

no worries...on missing my post Let's.....I think you are just plain a genuinely wonderful, huge hearted person....thanks so much for being around here....a very wonderful add to GP!!!

#15 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

no worries...on missing my post Let's.....I think you are just plain a genuinely wonderful, huge hearted person....thanks so much for being around here....a very wonderful add to GP!!!

Thank you very much. I am glad to be here. I really like your Dog, when i was a kid we always had Shepperd's, 4 to, but one which was mixed was a great dog. Not that the others went, but he had been abused so took awhile for him to get friendly.

Once i was shooting my .22 riffle and got a woodchuck, i looked over and ''Fred'' my Shepperd swam across the river. I was puzzled as he always stayed near me, but went rite to the woodchuck and took em on. I was freaking out, i was maybe 16 or soo. But he knew what i was doing and began a team kill, il never forget it. After he killed it, he just swam back, he never did it again, but i never shot another one tho.

Thanks again man

LSY

#16 DirtMcJerk

DirtMcJerk

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationsparta area

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I don't get it? Was the original post a complaint about the reference of "special needs people? "

#17 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I don't get it? Was the original post a complaint about the reference of "special needs people? "

yup...the forum used to be called growing with special needs...and now its called growing with a disability!!!....and it wasn't so much a complaint as such...just a comment from a person with direct experiences!!
  • teddys head and sandbreak like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users