38 replies to this topic

#26 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

gw, you neglected to mention the idea of rock tumbling sticks with fractured construction sand to "sand off" the outer trichomes, then sieve the sticks out. repeat until sand is laden with trichomes then extract the sand.

i got a rock tumbler explicitly for this purpose. must get to this experiment soon.

Good point! As the material that we are seeking is on the outside of the sticks and stems, if we tumble them with clean sand without bothering to pulverize them, we can extract the resins from the sand later using a solvent.

You can use a rock tumbler or just put sand, solvent, and stems in a glass jar and shake. Process batches of sticks and stems through the same sand and solvent before extraction.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 DogFaceDude

DogFaceDude

Old Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

Jangel, Thank you for bringing us this info. Graywolf, Thanks you for working out the process. There is a file commonly called a cheese grater. Carpenters and Auto body repairmen use them. You can buy them at home depot for under $10.. They make cylindrical ones that rotate on a drill. You'd need to wear very heavy cowhide gloves if holding them or prop them in a vise to protect from a hand injury. There is also a Paint stripper that rotates on a drill, using the same precautions as I've mentioned above. Thanks again to all of you who contribute so much to us rookies.
  • jangel, bongbonghi and Itinkso like this

#28 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

sushi and i began collaborating on this project years ago. no one believed us, that there were cannabinoids in sticks, not even clinton, but we insisted and persisted in the endeavour. in comparing results sushi and i found (independently) that cooking beyond three days minimally increased the strength of the medicine, so we do not cook beyond that. i have used my rock tumbler and yes it does do well in an agitated quick was. i used both isopropyl and denatured. but it still captures the waxes and removing them is not easy. they roll off the skin in a topical formulation. still needs work. i am looking for the most cost effective and efficient method of extraction for said application. any one have more information?
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#29 FlowerBurner

FlowerBurner

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

Posted Image
I find that edibles made from stems provide a temporary intense invigorating/ rush/ analgesic/ spiritual feeling...I guess those are the CBD's at work Posted Image

Thanks for passing on the knowledge!

#30 tikidood

tikidood

Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Look for the "OLD" hand crank coffee grinders ! I have been searching for one and the thing is amazing at breaking down stems ! A "friend" of mine makes topicals and thats what he uses !

Attached Files

#31 feralfae

feralfae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information here! We now have some more experimenting to do. Thank you! Happy New Year! feralfae

#32 ProHerb

ProHerb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

What wonderful info I'm finding on your site. This really shows that we dare only imagine the possibillties if open reasearch could be conducted without fear of arrest or persecution.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#33 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

This is why it is so important to share the things we learn. This way, we not only don't have to make the same mistakes as others have in the past, but we can build on the knowledge we share and bring that back to the "collective" school. It is all paying it forward and growing together...how wonderful is that? I love it!
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and OffDaBaba like this

#34 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

What a good time for updates! We've tried a couple other ways, and so far the best is our 10" tea ball in denatured alcohol. Just break up the sticks so that they fit and dip them in the vat of alcohol until they run clear. Refill the ball and repeat until the alcohol is saturated. Secondly, here is our latest experiment using a tumbler and supposedly cleaned (not) fractured sand to break off the trichomes, where they are collected afterwards by washing the sand in ISO. The quick small scale run proves it works, but it needs to use clean sand and a tumbler large enough to not have to chop up the material to small, as that was a lot of work with hand shears. I'm thinking that after rewashing and sieving the sand to get out dust and fines, that a cement mixer might be the way to go. After processing a large volume of stems, the sand could be processed in what ever size lots that is most convenient.

Attached Files

• bongbonghi and Itinkso like this

#35 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I just had to interject a smile here. Graywolf, I don't think I will ever need a cement mixer for making my medicine! That's a lotta mixin'!
  • bongbonghi, Graywolf, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#36 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

I just had to interject a smile here. Graywolf, I don't think I will ever need a cement mixer for making my medicine!

That's a lotta mixin'!

Around here, the stems always get saved to last, because no one wants to run them with their low yield, until everything else is caught up. Usually we run when we've run out of storage space for them and the faster the process, the better.

We're looking for a relatively painless way to harvest stems, that can be scaled for use. That tumbler worked at a gallon size, albeit labor intensive cutting to size and sifting between runs.

The 10" tea ball came from a restaurant supply store, and works super slick, with less labor in small batches.
  • bongbonghi, Desiderata and Itinkso like this

#37 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thanks, GW...very useful info .... hello and thankyou to all @ skunkPharm! :Cookie: herheheehe muA
  • bongbonghi, Graywolf and Itinkso like this

#38 DrBudz

DrBudz

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Very interesting thread, my root balm will get a new process after reading this. Thanks Everyone for the great info. So many great minds have many great ideas. lots of stuff to think about and decide what might work best for me. Thanks to all and happy growing ...DrBudz
  • Graywolf and Itinkso like this

#39 Raceya

Raceya

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Being new here and reading this thread....really made me smile! And giggle a little too!
  • Itinkso likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users