38 replies to this topic

#1 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

I have saved and saved twigs and stems to use for making healing compounds, and using to add to healing hemp oil.

I learned of this from Canabis Compassion/FreeMyGreen website...and big thanks to Sushicat as well as Graywolf and Clinton for their informative work on this.

This is a hither to ignored part of our wonderful plant, most often discarded in compost heaps or garbaged.

I was amazed to read what sushi has found with these and had to try it.

Time has kept me from writing this up, but finally Graywolf has gotten me going again on this.

In reading sushicat's posts I learned that he uses this substance and makes it using a slow cooking method, and a pressure cooker, with fat being the carrier. He uses canola oil and pure butter I believe.

For this project I have used drinking alcohol to see if these substances can be transfered to healing hemp oil, and therefore help to heal our people that suffer from a multitude of illnesses.

To do this I have ground up as fine as I could with a food processor all the stems and stocks I had.

I put them into a sealer jar, with a ring and sealed it up, after allowing for expansion when warmed.

Then I used a canning method, hot water bath, to encourage the substances to go into the alcohol.

I slowly simmered the jar in a tall pot of water, keeping the jar raised up off the heat source at the bottom of the pot, and keeping the jar lid edge covered with water.

This was simmered for a day(8 hours), turned off, then simmered for another day, and then the alcohol was drained off and used in making healing hemp oil, in the way illustrated all over the site.

Simmering this in a water bath prevents the substances from being over heated, keeping them in a reduced temp within the correct range for keeping cbd's etc active.

http://www.greenpass...35&d=1276701627

Attached Files

Edited by jangel, 27 June 2010 - 11:37 AM.

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

This became a thick, almost gel like substance, I am sure from part of the stalks and stems.

http://www.greenpass...28&d=1276701360

This was then filtered through a fine screen to get the solids out, and hand squeezed out.

http://www.greenpass...40&d=1276701627

Here are the pictures and if there are questions, please do ask.

After this was separated I tested just this "tincture" before adding to the rest of the washes to be cooked down for healing hemp oil.

I found this gave me a body "Rush" which, from my understanding, is what the cbd's etc feel like when they are present.

I do not have the scientific training of Graywolf.

And many that can use this process do not either.

But we can still use these substances to good affect in our own treatment.

So here is what I have found and my wish is this will help others.

By making this approachable for those that are in pain and in need of healing.

My hat is off to Freemygreen for exploring this, and to Graywolf for bringing the science of this to GreenPassion.

Here is a link to his tutorial on this and some science behind this: Extracting oil from stems for HAO topical

Thank you all!

Peace

Attached Files

Edited by jangel, 27 June 2010 - 11:39 AM.

• bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#3 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

jangel....did you use a food blender to grind up the stems?......i used my stems in my oil this time round but i had nothing available to grind them down..........
  • jangel, bongbonghi and teddys head like this

#4 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

I used a food processor. I know that sushicat has said he burnt out several of them grinding stems and I did not want to do that. Graywolf has the perfect answer with a wood chipper they use. But they do pounds of them I think. I think if you just cut them up small as you can, it will work. I still have mine and am re-soaking them...this time in ISO to see if more will come out. Sushicat does this until there is no colour left in his, at which point he says all the good is out of them. Thanks for commenting tink. Peace
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 1 other like this

#5 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

cool....i still have some left......i could try this and then add it to my next oil run!...thanks J!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi and teddys head like this

#6 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Tink, do check out Graywolf's thread on this subject. He gives details how they broke these down, and different affects from the by products. The link is further up. He is the one to ask, more than I am. He knows far more, I am but the student at his knee. amim.smiley.gif <<Graywolf, the Wise One...teacher and enlightener. I love that man! Such a sweetheart and so smart! Peace
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, teddys head and 2 others like this

#7 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

Back from the dead...literally!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

JAngel....no thank you button but hopefully this will work:

THANK YOU!!!

I am soooo happy that you, Tink, Graywolf, Sushicat, Clinton and others have gone down this road previously and have a rock solid approach to getting all of the goodies out of cannabis!!!!

Bookmarked!!!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#8 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

I am but the messanger, sandia. As I said, we are all but students in this. Peace
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and OffDaBaba like this

#9 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

Back from the dead...literally!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

That may be true JAngel....however you not only pass on the information, you show how you utilize it as well! How you keep track of all the information is beyond me...LOL! Cheers, Sandia amim.smiley.gif
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#10 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hey buddy, I get bogged down too! I have had this for months, did the pics ages ago, and am finally getting it on here. So we all get lost at times! Thank you for the praise sweetie. You too will be called to pay it forward, as you already are. Peace
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and OffDaBaba like this

#11 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Stems can be put in a pillowcase..kinda lined up like matches in a box, rather than just shoved in, and then laid on concrete and beaten with a hammer or a piece of heavy metal plate put on it and then drive over it in a heavy vehicle...this will not pulverise them, but it does damage them:)..splitting them a lot.

Once they have been soaking a week or three in the liquid{wh@ever it may be}, then they might be easier to pulverise in a blender...or more correctly, make a paste:)

If you can get one of those old style bench top hand cranked meat mincers, you could use th@ on the soaked stems to make a paste.

Or a champion juicer with a grinder attachment...champion units are really heavy duty...and I think they still have a really good warranty {spelling?}.

When making my root-balm, I steeped twigs and stems in the oil for a few months beforehand on a heatpad....and THEN used th@ oil to make my root-balm.

muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#12 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

cool medi....my MIL has a meat grinder....one of those heavy duty things...i never thought of that!!! not sure what she'll think of me stuffin bark through her grinder but hey ho...i'll tell her to fek off!!!....LOL!!!
  • jangel, bongbonghi and OffDaBaba like this

#13 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

If you can lay ya grubby lil' mitts on one of those paint shakers from a paint/hardware shop...it might really contribute to extractions...amim.smiley.gif Also one of those stone tumblers used to polish semi-precious stones might be very useful... Sorry if I seem a bit short...I'm restraining my grumpiness tonight... muA

#14 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

LOL....and an awesome job you're doing too!!!...i'd never have noticed!!!
  • jangel and bongbonghi like this

#15 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

If you can lay ya grubby lil' mitts on one of those paint shakers from a paint/hardware shop...it might really contribute to extractions...:)

Also one of those stone tumblers used to polish semi-precious stones might be very useful...

Sorry if I seem a bit short...I'm restraining my grumpiness tonight...

muA

Poor medi...feel better my friend.

Gentle hugs to you!

:)
  • bongbonghi and Itinkso like this

#16 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Hopefully will get some sleep soon... muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi and Itinkso like this

#17 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

Nice addition to the stem research efforts Jangle and thanks for the good thoughts! I like to think that we are all just conduits from our own teachers, who sometimes are also our own students. I failed to mention all the other equipment that we wrecked on stems. There were more food processors, coffee grinders, meat grinders, and grain grinders left in pieces. Besides the woody part, they have an incredibly strong fiber that tends to bind things to a halt. Even the wood chipper has to be periodically broken down and cleared. The only thing than hasn't clogged or broken so far is a hammer mill from Rommania that is basically a disc on the end of a motor shaft with steel bars hinged to its perimeter like flails. The material enters the top through a chute and is unable to get out the bottom without passing through a screen sized for the particle size you want to escape. The flails just continue to pound on the material until it will pass through the bottom screen.

#18 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:50 PM

Wh@ about a crushing/grinding crank turned wheel? Something like the setup th@ fires clay pigeons only closer together..? Hope I get my idea across...having some probs with getting concepts across of late... 2 hard metal or stone wheels moving against each other, and the stems are fed into them, crushed and spat out the other side. muA

#19 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I know how hard these are to break up after reading sushicat's posts and others on freemygreen. This is why I stopped with the food processer. I think mostly the substances we want to use are on the stickie outer bark of the plant. I don't know that is all in the twigs, but I believe it does get some of them, no matter how broken they are. I hope so anyway. Keep talking folks! Peace
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso and DrBudz like this

#20 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

Now I know the damn thing I was talking about!...a sugarcane crusher! muA

#21 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

That would work! But I don't think they sell them at our diy stores here in Canada! LOL! But I am sure you could find them in southern parts of the world. medi is another friggen stoner! Imagine that! LOL! chewiegif

#22 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

If you're only after the outside if the stems...perhaps a grinder with a wire-brush attachment? muA

#23 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Good point! What we want is on the outside and the sticks don't really even have to be broken up. It is merely a technique of condensing them for speed of extraction. My first stem topical was made by throwing all my sticks in a Crockpot full of canola oil when I processed material.

I replaced the sticks as the pot became full and turned it on and off during that period when I thought about it, but on the order of daily. Though it left an objectionable residue, it worked damn well for pain relief.

Canola oil extraction still remains the cheapest way of obtaining the stem resins that we have found yet. Sushi of course uses the stem Canola oil in his cooking.

Because stem oil works so damn well in our HAO topical, and because the demand for that topical is higher than my current material resources, I have pushed to extract the concentrated oil from stems and or roots for that purpose and have published the stem results on this forum.

Because of the volume of sticks we are trying to process, the best trick we have found is to beat them up so as to knock off the brittle trichomes from the stems and sieve off all the coarse material.

Some of the coarse material is long stringy fiber, which we are saving for our biochemistry student’s hemp paper making project.

Freezing the material before hand would ostensibly make breaking off stem trichomes easier. It certainly does when dry sieving leaf and bud.

Another way to quickly strip off the trichomes from stems, might be to put them whole in a gallon jar with glass beads or clean sand and alcohol.

Drop in the stems, shake vigorously, remove stems, and repeat. After all the stems are processed, strain and cook, vacuum, or distill off the alcohol.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#24 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

One point on this we do not know yet, and maybe won't know is if there is ANY type of residue or substance in the pith of the stems. I did read your post on stems and how you did this with the outside included and without and the lack of discernable product from this. It does not mean it is NOT there, just that is it not discernable with the processes we have tried so far. Maybe it is not so much an oil substance that is removeable this way, but more of an acidic based compound, as medi found in the roots. don't know....but I am sure you will check into it, gray...LOL!

#25 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

Alchemist Extraordinare!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:56 AM

Good point! What we want is on the outside and the sticks don't really even have to be broken up. It is merely a technique of condensing them for speed of extraction. My first stem topical was made by throwing all my sticks in a Crockpot full of canola oil when I processed material.

I replaced the sticks as the pot became full and turned it on and off during that period when I thought about it, but on the order of daily. Though it left an objectionable residue, it worked damn well for pain relief.

Canola oil extraction still remains the cheapest way of obtaining the stem resins that we have found yet. Sushi of course uses the stem Canola oil in his cooking.

Because stem oil works so damn well in our HAO topical, and because the demand for that topical is higher than my current material resources, I have pushed to extract the concentrated oil from stems and or roots for that purpose and have published the stem results on this forum.

Because of the volume of sticks we are trying to process, the best trick we have found is to beat them up so as to knock off the brittle trichomes from the stems and sieve off all the coarse material.

Some of the coarse material is long stringy fiber, which we are saving for our biochemistry student’s hemp paper making project.

Freezing the material before hand would ostensibly make breaking off stem trichomes easier. It certainly does when dry sieving leaf and bud.

Another way to quickly strip off the trichomes from stems, might be to put them whole in a gallon jar with glass beads or clean sand and alcohol.

Drop in the stems, shake vigorously, remove stems, and repeat. After all the stems are processed, strain and cook, vacuum, or distill off the alcohol.

gw, you neglected to mention the idea of rock tumbling sticks with fractured construction sand to "sand off" the outer trichomes, then sieve the sticks out. repeat until sand is laden with trichomes then extract the sand.

i got a rock tumbler explicitly for this purpose. must get to this experiment soon.
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Graywolf and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users