Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What's the best strain for Bipolar Disorder?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

Took me many years to admitted it to myself that I'm Bipolar by watching myself to how I react to inanimate objects and break things for no good reason if they don't work or fit. What's the best strain for Bipolar Disorder?
  • Bueller, Graywolf, Itinkso and 3 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Bi-polar here too,, I was finally diagnosed properly a few years ago,, It felt like relief and that a big weight had been lifted off of me, now I had a name to why my life was so crazy... But anyways,, good question Lu,,, I'll do some searching around....
  • Lumix, Bueller, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#3 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Numerous patients report significant improvement and stabilization with their bipolar disorder when they utilize adjunctive therapy with medical cannabis. While some mental health professionals worry about the impact of cannabis on aggravating manic states, most bipolar patients trying cannabis find they "cycle" less often and find significant improvement in overall mood. Bipolar disorders vary tremendously in the time spent in the depressive versus manic states. Those who experience extended depressive episodes are more likely to be helped with cannabis.

Patients who use cannabis to "relax" may be treating the anxiousness sometimes associated with depression. Cannabis aids the insomnia sometimes present in depression and can improve appetite. Better pain control with cannabis can reduce chronic pain related depression. While cannabis cannot yet be considered a primary treatment of major depression it may improve mood when used under physicians supervision and in combination with therapy and/or SSRI’s.

There is currently a debate as to which "strain" of cannabis is most appropriate for the adjunctive treatment of depression. Since symptoms are so individualistic it is hard to determine what strain is right expect empirically. In general Sativa dominant strains tend to be more "up" and Indica dominant strains more relaxing.

http://www.letfreedo...nd_cannabis.htm
  • alienascii, Transcendence, couchpotatoking and 1 other like this

#4 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

I thought Sativa's would cover it but find them also like Indica's make me paranoid Do you all think there is a risk to one's mental health in relation to herb smoked?.............. i know we make fun of folks who smoke alot of Sativa..."step away from the Sativa" ....kinda jokes.................... but i have read some serious comments about paranoia in relation to Sativas..............
  • Bueller, Itinkso, alienascii and 2 others like this

#5 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

Myself I would like to go sativa,,

#6 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

Ikinesis1

stopped taking all bipolar pharmaceuticals around 8 years ago. I have been on Depakote, Trazadone, Resperadol, Adderall(im hyperactive too), Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, and much more. These medications had devestating effects on my health and quite possibly my liver/kidneys. My friends said that after I had taken this cocktail of medications for a year I was beginning to become fat/gain weight. I went through a detoxification process at MediCann (www.medicannusa.com) and I am in my second year of a medical marijuana recommendation.

I have been medicating using cannabis ever since. My mood swings only manifest themselves when I do not have this medication - therefore I am investing in growing equipment as it can be quite expensive to purchase at street price.

My physician recommends an indica for manic phases, and advises to stay clear of sativas except during phases of depression. I will say this is the best homeopathic remedy available in any of the 11 states that have legalized it. California, as far as I know, is the only state that will allow it recommended to you for this, most other states require some sort of life threatening disease. For those that dislike smoking it is highly recommended to obtain an oral tincture, edible such as brownies, cookies, etc, or vaporization of THC at subflammable temperatures.

I look forward to when the FDA puts Sativex on clinical trial, then this medication will be available in an oralmucosal mouthspray. So far they are only marketing Sativex for muscular dystrophy, but I feel it would be a great way to curb the anxiety and mania of a bipolar patient. It is on demand too, whenever the symptoms appear simply spray it in your mouth.

I seriously recommend this treatment for anyone living in the state of California or Oregon. I would be weary of the quality of any street cannabis purchased within the other medical marijuana tolerant states. In California Indicas and Sativas are readily available through storefronts and delivery services - we have pioneered this medicine.

http://ehealthforum....is-t137020.html
  • Lumix, Bueller, alienascii and 4 others like this

#7 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

different spin on things in this one!!

Denise Ryan
Vancouver Sun

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

CREDIT: Ian Smith, Vancouver Sun
Margaret Trudeau speaks in support of awareness of workplace depression and how to help those suffering.
Quitting cannabis has been an important part of her recovery from mental illness, Margaret Trudeau said Monday at a press conference in Vancouver for the Canadian Mental Health Association's upcoming Bottom Line Conference.

Trudeau, who suffers from bipolar disorder, spoke openly with reporters about her experience with depression and the effect of her long-term marijuana use.

http://www2.canada.c...7f-14c0cec728e4
  • Lumix, Bueller, alienascii and 3 others like this

#8 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

Marijuana Use and Bipolar Disorder to be Studied
Monday April 26, 2010
Is there a connection? Professor Cecilia Hillard of the Medical College of Wisconsin will be doing a 5-year study investigating one possible link between the chemicals in marijuana and the development of bipolar disorder and psychoses.
In a news brief somewhat sensationally titled Marijuana Use = Bipolar Disorder? Dr. Hillard told Corrine Hess of The Business Journal of Milwaukee that lifetime use of cannabis is 20 to 40 percent in bipolar patients compared to 6 percent in the general population. Dr. Hillard said there are three possible explanations - (1) that bipolar disorder brings on cannabis use; (2) marijuana use precedes the disorder and brings it on; or (3) an "X" factor causes both bipolar disorder and marijuana use.

http://bipolar.about...-be-studied.htm
  • Lumix, Bueller, alienascii and 3 others like this

#9 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

I think cannabis affects each person differently,,, I know for a fact, for me, without cannabis the bi-polar would of won me over a long time ago.... I hope they do the research.....
  • Bueller, Itinkso, alienascii and 1 other like this

#10 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

I hear that Cally might be discontinuing eatable because there not for the faint of heart and 4 times stronger when it hits the liver. I hope to fine that strain that will help my bipolar disorder instead of exasperating it because I can't see myself without it or my passion to grow it gone. Thanks for the great read too GPwelcome.gif
  • Bueller, Itinkso, alienascii and 3 others like this

#11 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

lumix and debs....i've been reading and reading and this seems to be one of those situations when it very much down to the individual.......one strain might suit you debs but not lumix...and vice versa... all of the pro cannabis for BP info suggests trying different strains until you find the one that suits YOU!!!...ther's not much concrete out there as far as strain selection goes.... sorry....wish i could help more!
  • Bueller, Transcendence and OffDaBaba like this

#12 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

lumix and debs....i've been reading and reading and this seems to be one of those situations when it very much down to the individual.......one strain might suit you debs but not lumix...and vice versa...

all of the pro cannabis for BP info suggests trying different strains until you find the one that suits YOU!!!...ther's not much concrete out there as far as strain selection goes....

sorry....wish i could help more!

That sounds like a fun way to find her, similar to making love as many time as it takes to have a baby GPwelcome.gif
  • Bueller, Itinkso, Transcendence and 1 other like this

#13 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

That sounds like a fun way to find her, similar to making love as many time as it takes to have a baby GPwelcome.gif

LMAO!!!....that a very positive spin lu!!!!...i was all depressed cos i couldn't find anything concrete for you and you're all bloody chuffed!!!!:)
  • Lumix, Bueller, Transcendence and 2 others like this

#14 alienascii

alienascii

Extraterrestrial Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I've been saying for years that cannabis works wonders for bipolar, guess they're FINALLY listening. I manage my bipolar disorder very well with sativa strains when i'm depressed and indicas when I'm manic, with exceptions. certain strains that I have used with favorable results are: cheese, g13, nyc diesel, blueberry, bubblegum. I think really almost any cannabis will help, but some strains have particular cannabinoid ratios that lend themselves to BP disorder.

#15 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

lumix and debs....i've been reading and reading and this seems to be one of those situations when it very much down to the individual.......one strain might suit you debs but not lumix...and vice versa...

all of the pro cannabis for BP info suggests trying different strains until you find the one that suits YOU!!!...ther's not much concrete out there as far as strain selection goes....

sorry....wish i could help more!

I agree with you tink,, and your right about not much research done with strains and bipolar,, I'm finding info to all of it's different symptoms and the strains for them but not for the bipolar patient itself.... here is one that I found...

Snow Cap - this sativa has a strong, yet highly functional effect. A great choice for patients with depression, arthritits, attention disorders, chronic pain, diabetes, bi-polar disorder and anxiety
  • Lumix, Bueller, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#16 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

I've been saying for years that cannabis works wonders for bipolar, guess they're FINALLY listening.

I manage my bipolar disorder very well with sativa strains when i'm depressed and indicas when I'm manic, with exceptions.

certain strains that I have used with favorable results are: cheese, g13, nyc diesel, blueberry, bubblegum.

I think really almost any cannabis will help, but some strains have particular cannabinoid ratios that lend themselves to BP disorder.

Yea I do note blueberry makes me love the world, I'm sure the maximum healing cross is already in existence, this one for sure for me, Blueberry Sativa one I grew, in jars at 40 days now

Posted Image
  • Bueller, Itinkso, alienascii and 4 others like this

#17 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

God I wish we all could meet someday GPwelcome.gif

#18 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

God I wish we all could meet someday GPwelcome.gif

me too!!!!....wouldn't that be amazing?!!!!!:)
  • Lumix, Transcendence, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#19 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

me too!!!!....wouldn't that be amazing?!!!!!:)

Not sure if your in Scotland or Cally, I think your a girl GPwelcome.gif
  • Bueller, Itinkso, alienascii and 1 other like this

#20 Trogdor

Trogdor

Resident Deprogrammer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

I think you'll like the CBD ratio in Grandaddy Purple!
  • Lumix, Bueller, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#21 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

I think you'll like the CBD ratio in Grandaddy Purple!

If you get one with the CBD's higher it helps? whats the other CBD thingy, Delta 9 and ?

#22 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

Not sure if your in Scotland or Cally, I think your a girl GPwelcome.gif

scotland and a wuman!!!.....good call lu!!!:)
  • Bueller and Transcendence like this

#23 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

if you get one with the cbd's higher it helps? Whats the other cbd thingy, delta 9 and ?

cbn!GPwelcome.gif
  • Lumix, Bueller, alienascii and 1 other like this

#24 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

scotland and a wuman!!!.....good call lu!!!highfivegif

LOL, I'm taking Sherlock Holmes course by mail :stick out tongue:
  • Bueller, Itinkso, Transcendence and 1 other like this

#25 alienascii

alienascii

Extraterrestrial Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

it could be a bipolar benefit research project... highfivegif anyways lumix that blueberry sativa is beautiful! :stick out tongue: CBN? G13 has plenty...
  • Bueller, Itinkso and Transcendence like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users