18 replies to this topic

#1 Storm Crow

Storm Crow

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

I only could get the abstract, but unless I am reading this wrong somehow, it is a total mind-blower! (And it ain't easy to blow Granny's mind! :) )

http://pediatrics.aa...ourcetype=HWCIT

PEDIATRICS Vol. 100 No. 1 July 1997, pp. 79-83
Mortality Within the First 2 Years in Infants Exposed to Cocaine, Opiate, or Cannabinoid During Gestation

Received Jul 26, 1996; accepted Nov 14, 1996.

Enrique M. Ostrea Jr*, Anthony R. Ostrea*, and Pippa M. Simpson From the * Department of Pediatrics, Hutzel Hospital, Children's Hospital of Michigan and Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan.
Objective. To determine the mortality rate, during the first 2 years of life, in infants who were exposed to cocaine, opiate, orcannabinoidduring gestation.
Methods. For a period of 11 months, a large group of infants were enrolled and screened at birth for exposure to cocaine, opiate, or cannabinoidby meconium analysis. Death outcome, within the first 2 years after birth, was determined in this group of infants using the death registry of the Michigan Department of Public Health.
Results. A total of 2964 infants was studied. At birth, 44% of the infants tested positive for drugs: 30.5% positive for cocaine, 20.2% for opiate, and 11.4% for cannabinoids. Compared to the drug negative group, a significantly higher percentage (P < .05) of the drug positive infants had lower weight and smaller head circumference and length at birth and a higher percent of their mothers were single, multigravid, multiparous, and had little to no prenatal care. Within the first 2 years of life, 44 infants died: 26 were drug negative (15.7 deaths per 1000 live births) and 18 were drug positive (13.7 deaths per 1000 live births). The mortality rate among cocaine, opiate, or cannabinoid positive infants were 17.7, 18.4, and 8.9 per 1000 live births, respectively. (emphasis mine- Granny) Among infants with birth weight Posted Image2500 g, infants who were positive for both cocaine and morphine had a higher mortality rate (odds ratio = 5.9, confidence interval [CI] = 1.4 to 24) than drug negative infants. Eleven infants died from the sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS); 58% were positive for drugs, predominantly cocaine. The odds ratio for SIDS among drug positive infants was 1.5 (CI = 0.46 to 5.01) and 1.9 (CI = 0.58 to 6.2) among cocaine positive infants.
Conclusion. We conclude that prenatal drug exposure in infants, although associated with a high perinatal morbidity, is not associated with an overall increase in their mortality rate or incidence of SIDS during the first 2 years of life. However, a significantly higher mortality rate was observed among low birth weight infants (Posted Image2500 g) who were positive for both cocaine and opiate.

OK, folks, here's the nitty-gritty- deaths per 1,000.

Total deaths -.............. 44

Drug negative deaths- ... 26....... 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

All drug positive deaths-.. 18....... 13.7 deaths per 1000 live births

Cocaine positive deaths-.. __ .......17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

Opiate positive deaths-..... __ .......18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

Cannabinoid positive deaths-.__..... 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births

The only reason that the "drug baby" group had a lower mortality rate than the "drug free" babies, was the cannabis group! Opiate and cocaine deaths were higher than the "drug free" group- as you would expect. :) But look at cannabis! Almost a 50% reduction in mortality compared to the "drug free" babies! So, do you think that using cannabis might actually be good for your baby's survival?

Think of the children!

(It's just so cool when you can turn a prohib "war cry" against them! :) )

Granny :)

Edited by jangel, 23 June 2010 - 07:29 AM.

• jangel, plant boy, Trogdor and 3 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:32 AM

so, do you think that using cannabis might actually be good for your baby's survival?

yes! There seems to be evidence pointing to it being so. If it effect tumors and stops cells-gone-bad, If it helps the cells of the body repair themselves, then....given the things cannabinoids can DO TO and FOR our bodies, from brain to heart to immune systems to multi-type cellular repair and the rapidly dawning fact th@ THIS compound-set is possibly the next great Discovery/Invention/Achievement of mankind since we mapped the human genome....This stuff allows us to potentially 'Play' with the human genome....in living humans, not just pre-natal or in a laboratory setting, potentially 'fine tuning' the body's/immune/endocrine etc...systems we all possess, THEN why would CANNABINOIDS NOT POTENTIALLY help a fetus in forming itself the best th@ it can BEFORE birth?

This may not mean little Uber-babies will overrun the world...but the bubs born in the cannabinoids group probably got a 'Top of the Line, Custom Model Deluxe Immune/Nervous/Endocrine System' from the get-go.

muA

Edited by medi-useA, 23 June 2010 - 08:11 AM.

• plant boy likes this

#3 Trogdor

Trogdor

Resident Deprogrammer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

wow that's a fantastic find granny!
  • jangel, plant boy, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#4 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

Pretty awesome stuff Granny! Thank you!
  • plant boy and Itinkso like this

#5 iowabush

iowabush

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

I was totally thrilled to speak right after Dr of RNs Dreher at the Omaha meeting of the Iowa Board of Phamacy.

You just Must go see this!

go look more of her stuff up. pot is good for little kids? not to intoxication, but as food at subintoxication levels

failure to thrive due to insuffiecient levels of cannabinoids is well established medicine

legalize cannabis in Iowa!
  • plant boy likes this

#6 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Yes, I did see this before...fascinating stuff. And it has been kept hidden. Not the answers they expected at all!
  • plant boy likes this

#7 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

Don't like the answers?...bury the report and get ya own pet scientists to submit one with the results you're after!{sarcasm:)}

muA
  • plant boy likes this

#8 Storm Crow

Storm Crow

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

And then Granny will dig it up, clean it off a bit, and put it in the list for everyone to see! :)
  • plant boy likes this

#9 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Forgot th@ part! lol muA
  • plant boy likes this

#10 robotdinosaur

robotdinosaur

Medicinal MJ User/Grower/Advocate

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:13 AM

First, let me say, Great article Granny :)

THEN why would CANNABINOIDS NOT POTENTIALLY help a fetus in forming itself the best th@ it can BEFORE birth?

Eh ...I say: "It would depend on how it was ingested."

When I was pregnant with my first son, I was living in Arcata, CA. I had a cool midwife and told her I was using MJ for the severe nausea and headaches that I was having (from the pregnancy) My tolerance was very low and I only used single tokes to medicate - it helped & I wasn't getting "high" per se.
To which she replied: "We all make our own decisions on what we do doing our pregnancy" But know this: just as with smoking cigarettes, when you inhale smoke (of any kind) you are depleting the oxygen in your blood stream, there by reducing the oxygen going to the fetus. "

Granted - smoking cannabis (even if a few times/day) is a lot less than being a chronic cigarette smoker, it resonated with me. I stopped using cannabis during my first pregnancy after that visit. With my second child, I would take a toke maybe twice/month. (very small amounts in the grand scheme of things - but still, some) and he was born 10 lbs 9 oz :)

I would think tinctures, medibles, and vapor would be the best way to consume while pregnant.
  • plant boy likes this

#11 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

Was my thinking too, RD...smoking is the most common AND most harmful way to consume. muA
  • plant boy likes this

#12 iowabush

iowabush

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

I don't have access here in hoagton to make holy oil as I will someday. cannabis extracts are the true vitamine of the future. it's going to the stars with us. I'd call that a successful adaptation to our dominance... taken to the stars with us it'll happen. so will ITER
  • plant boy likes this

#13 Storm Crow

Storm Crow

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

The study was done in 1997, before vaporizers were that well known, so I doubt if many of the mothers were using one. Now, does anyone else wonder what the numbers would be like for cases where the mother uses cannabis only by vaporization, glycerin tinctures (we already know to avoid all alcohol) and edibles? I wonder what that study, if done again today, would reveal? I remember the hippie babies as being happy and healthy! :) Granny chickendancegif
  • plant boy likes this

#14 robotdinosaur

robotdinosaur

Medicinal MJ User/Grower/Advocate

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

chickendancegif
  • plant boy likes this

#15 HerbErb

HerbErb

Hindsight is 2010.

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. As I recall, the first recorded use of marijuana was for childbirth. So much for orthodox medicine expertise. There is a new mental disorder: orthorexia nervosa. That means, too much concern for eating healthy food, and the apparent answer is physchotropic pharmeceuticals. Orthodoxy is my enemy.
  • plant boy likes this

#16 HerbErb

HerbErb

Hindsight is 2010.

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Dancing baby! Woot!
  • plant boy likes this

#17 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

The study was done in 1997, before vaporizers were that well known, so I doubt if many of the mothers were using one. Now, does anyone else wonder what the numbers would be like for cases where the mother uses cannabis only by vaporization, glycerin tinctures (we already know to avoid all alcohol) and edibles? I wonder what that study, if done again today, would reveal? I remember the hippie babies as being happy and healthy!

:)

Granny :)

I smoked during my pregnancy's and my babies were very healthy,, I was high when going to the hospital,, my babies were very good babies, meaning they were happy and calm, they slept well,, I always figured I was just lucky,, but I believe me getting high didn't hurt them at all, this research pretty much says it all,,,
  • plant boy likes this

#18 froggymountain

froggymountain

SHeaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Good find, Granny.

The harder they attempt to demonize cannabis, the more it bounces back. They are getting lost in their own statistics.

My heart goes out to the hundreds of thousands of Americans, mostly our children, who are persecuted and prosecuted every year. Many placed into corporate prisons to manufacture cheap products and less than $1/hour - even the ACLU is up in arms about the travesty ( http://www.aclu.org/...g-people-profit )
  • plant boy likes this

#19 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18355 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

it's time to stop wasting $ on prisons,,,,filling them with farmers is not the answer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users