316 replies to this topic

#51 robotdinosaur

robotdinosaur

Medicinal MJ User/Grower/Advocate

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hey Blue - no worries. A journal is great for being a place to ask questions and have them answered. It gives you a good timeline to look back on for your next grow :eek: You mention that the pH went up significantly after adding the airstone - do you put your pH meter in the water that's bubbling? If so, that could be your problem. The bubbles will make your meter bounce around in the numbers. Try taking a clean/new party cup, dipping out some of the water and sitting your pH tester in it.
  • Bueller, GeeGee, SandiaMts and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#52 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

RD, I acctual test the water in another vessel. I'm testing with one of those cheap pool type PH kits. Daytripping said his water's PH went up after airateing too. Don't know if he does it in the bucket he's airateing or a seperate vessel. I plan on buying a PH pen today but I'm cofused about the solutions you need. I know you need 1 to calibrate but do you need another for storing the pen so electrodes don't dry out? I'd appreciate the lowdown on this subject. Thanks, Blue
  • Bueller, GeeGee, robotdinosaur and 5 others like this

#53 DayTripping

DayTripping

Organic Grander

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1507 posts
  • LocationOn My 80 Acre's Of Heavn

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

RD, I acctual test the water in another vessel. I'm testing with one of those cheap pool type PH kits. Daytripping said his water's PH went up after airateing too. Don't know if he does it in the bucket he's airateing or a seperate vessel. I plan on buying a PH pen today but I'm cofused about the solutions you need. I know you need 1 to calibrate but do you need another for storing the pen so electrodes don't dry out?
I'd appreciate the lowdown on this subject.
Thanks, Blue

Blue, Fisrt off no apologize needed.:eek: It's all good Bro, I have a Eco Tester Ph pen and I test the water in the red cups we all uses, I don't use a glass containers as glass conducts electricity and could effect the reading on a Ph pen, I read. I just scoop up some water out of the bucket or tub that the feed/water been aerating in and let the Ph pen sit in the cup for a minute. The Ph has always went up after I aeratored, less say I'm feed and the Ph of the water after add nutes is Ph 6.0 after aerating for a while it will be 6.3 and by the next morning it will be 6.5 maybe 6.7. I have no idea way it gose up but it dose, I calibrate my Ph pen often every couple of weeks. Good luck I know all will be good.:)

DT

#54 robotdinosaur

robotdinosaur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

I know you need 1 to calibrate but do you need another for storing the pen so electrodes don't dry out?

Hey Blue - Yes, you will need calibration solution, storage solution & cleaning solution. I calibrate weekly & clean monthly.
Using Humboldt nutrients, I never pH test after adding the nutrients. I make up a 40 gallon reservoir of pH'd water to 6.5 for my soil or 5.8 for soilless. To set up the water: I fill the reservoir, add pH down (I usually need about 1/2 tsp/5 gal of pH down to get my tap water in the 6.5-ish range) then I let it aerate for a least a couple of hours, if not over night. I then check pH and slowly adjust as necessary to get within my range.
A note on that: I feel it's better to have a SLIGHTLY different pH than to keep adding up and down - If it's 6.6 after I add the initial pH down, I keep it at that. I only adjust if it's more than 1/10 of a point away from my ideal numbers.
  • Bueller, GeeGee, SandiaMts and 5 others like this

#55 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi All, I flushed my babies around 3:00 this afternoon. So I hope this works. Whats the next step, a regular watering when needed or a light feeding. I should have taken pics before the flush but wasn't thinking. :dunce: Well it's time to sit and wait.
Thanks Everyone, Blue

#56 IAMMIKE

IAMMIKE

Cheese and Chocolate...try it!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • LocationMarion, Michigan

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi All, I flushed my babies around 3:00 this afternoon. So I hope this works. Whats the next step, a regular watering when needed or a light feeding. I should have taken pics before the flush but wasn't thinking. :dunce: Well it's time to sit and wait.
Thanks Everyone, Blue

Hey Blue

Yup sit and wait cuz they wont look pretty for a day or two probably look a little saggy? As they dry a bit they will perk up just make sure you keep your temps normal and dont let them sit in any additional pooled water that may seep out.

Mike

#57 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

Back from the dead...literally!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Hi all, I want to apologize about how this journal is turning out. I wanted this to be useful and informative but it seems to have turned into my own private place to ask for help!!! I'm sure people can still learn from my mistakes but it was meant to be for all, not just my questions!!! I promise I will try to post more of the solutions and less of the problems.

Blue,

You have NOTHING to apologize for whatsoever! If folks just wanted to see "perfect" grows then they could pick up a book with pretty pictures or some flashy magazine.

What I really love about GP is that everyone is so helpful. In my humble opinion, this is what makes this site so wonderful.

I am learning something EVERY DAY at the site. As RD stated, it is a great way to learn from what you are doing especially when looking back upon this grow and helping out with future ones!

NEVER stop asking questions Blue! I know it is an old saying but it is very true: "The only dumb question is the one that is not asked".....

Sandia :(
  • Bueller, GeeGee, robotdinosaur and 4 others like this

#58 DayTripping

DayTripping

Organic Grander

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

[quote name='SandiaMts']Blue,

You have NOTHING to apologize for whatsoever! If folks just wanted to see "perfect" grows then they could pick up a book with pretty pictures or some flashy magazine.

What I really love about GP is that everyone is so helpful. In my humble opinion, this is what makes this site so wonderful.

I am learning something EVERY DAY at the site. As RD stated, it is a great way to learn from what you are doing especially when looking back upon this grow and helping out with future ones!

NEVER stop asking questions Blue! I know it is an old saying but it is very true: "The only dumb question is the one that is not asked".....

Sandia, well said. Thanks.

DT
  • Bueller, GeeGee, robotdinosaur and 1 other like this

#59 DayTripping

DayTripping

Organic Grander

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Thanks Everyone, Blue

Morning Blue how's it going:). Your soil was organic stuff from Maine right? You asked about feeding but won't the soil have enough nutes in it for your plants for awhile? I thought when starting for seed or clone you don't need to feed right away, I also read that a seed has enough store nutes/ energy or somethink like that. Which helps the seed get started growing and then the nutes in the organic soil should care it for a while. So just Ph 6.5/6.6 water at first is what I do with my clones, I had 13 Kali-Mist clones, some are in FF-LW and some in a mix of FFOF & LW. All set roots in 10 days, LW was better then the mix, the only reason I used the mix of FFOF & LW because I ran out of LW. I say I had 13, when my buddy was up last week I gave him 3 or 4. So if it was me I'd water.:) It's all going to work out Bro.discogifThis is what your going to be doing once your plants grow in to girls then beautiful buds.:)

Take it easy Bro!
DT
  • Bueller, GeeGee, robotdinosaur and 2 others like this

#60 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

Hey All, I am buying a PH pen today and I want to know do I use 4.01 calibration solution or 7.0. Don't know if 1 is better than the other for a soil grow.
Thanks, Blue
  • Bueller, GeeGee, SandiaMts and 2 others like this

#61 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Usually you use 7 solution... if the ph pen is a high quality high end stuff then it usually it's a 2 point calibration ( 7+4)... it should say if it is a 2 point or 1 calibration in the description where you buy it... most likely it will only be 7.. peace my friend
  • SandiaMts, DayTripping and Blue61 like this

#62 robotdinosaur

robotdinosaur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

Usually you use 7 solution... if the ph pen is a high quality high end stuff then it usually it's a 2 point calibration ( 7+4)...

How the heck is that even possible to have both ? shakehands.gifshakehands.gif
  • Bueller, GeeGee, plant boy and 4 others like this

#63 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

I can't tell by experience... that's what I've read... maybe I'm wrong????? shakehands.gif
  • Bueller, plant boy, robotdinosaur and 2 others like this

#64 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

How the heck is that even possible to have both ? shakehands.gifshakehands.gif

I'm glad that I'm not the only one confused for once!!shakehands.gif

#65 robotdinosaur

robotdinosaur

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

Thought I was just left out on a HUGE secret - Gee shakehands.gif

#66 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Good evening everyone, I was thinking about how my plants leaves curl up under and feel brittle. Could low humidity cause this. My humidity has been between 45%-50% and today I noticed it was 25%. I put a couple bowls of warm water in front of a fan to help blow moisture through the plants but it only brought it up to 30%. I'm surprised it's so low after being flushed yesterday. I thought the wet soil would help raise it. Look foward to anyone chimming in on this.
Keep it green ,Blue
P.S. The temps are 74-79 all the time now.

#67 DayTripping

DayTripping

Organic Grander

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

HI Blue, I've also read the same thing GG did about two different calibration solutions for ph pens the high quality one. I only have one for my ph pen Ph 7 solution. My Humidity is 40 to 45% mine has been as low as 36% and when it got that low my girls were fine. Sandia I beleive has or had low humidity you might want to check with him. DT
  • Bueller, GeeGee, plant boy and 3 others like this

#68 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

Since pH is based upon a logarithmic scale, calibrating with a solution that closely approximates your "use/testing" range should lead to more accurate results. As you get further away from that value the readings can get slightly "off".

There are actually pH meters that have more than one set point for calibration.

Here is a quick example of a site that explains it fairly well:

http://www.monashsci...ointCalibration

Blue....I have VERY low humidity levels. I have not experienced dramatic leaf curling or brittle leaves except for when the Cal/Mag deficiency was spotted by the members here. The only other time I have noticed this (and only on the bottom leaves) is when the transplant happened last night. Again this was only on the leaves that were already affected by the deficiency.

Not sure if the humidity level would effect the leaves that much Blue. As DT pointed out my humidity levels in the room range from below 20% to a high of roughly 35% just after a watering. Hopefully someone else will chime in here shortly.

Cheers!

Sandia shakehands.gif

#69 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

blue... i think it's the soil... since you flushed, hang in there and lets wait for the best..
  • Bueller, plant boy, SandiaMts and 2 others like this

#70 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Good day to all at GP, Well it's been 48hrs since I flushed and thought I'd put up some pics so you can see what's happened. I don't think the flush helped :D:. I know it's early but I have a feeling that the compost mixed with the soil and perlite is to strong for seedlings! :eek:
I am ticked off because I researched this compost for weeks. I even called the company and spoke with a rep. and he assured me it was safe for seedlings. I even asked if it was to hot or to strong for them and he said no. They said it was a great addition to house plants. Maybe, just not seedlings.
I am thinking about transplanting them with just soil and perlite in some 1qt. grow bags I got free with my HB Deuce Deuce.
Please feel free to tell me what y'all think!! :) Should I wait longer to see what the flush does? I wouldn't be transplanting till tommorrow.
This is their 15th day in soil. Sad looking huh...LOL Well enough chit chat here's the pics.

Attached File  008 (Small).JPG   50.66KB   9 downloads

Attached File  009 (Small).JPG   60.21KB   7 downloads

Attached File  010 (Small).JPG   48.67KB   5 downloads

Attached File  011 (Small).JPG   53.93KB   4 downloads

Attached File  012 (Small).JPG   57.04KB   5 downloads

Attached File  013 (Small).JPG   54.48KB   5 downloads

Attached File  014 (Small).JPG   55.23KB   3 downloads

Attached File  015 (Small).JPG   60.49KB   4 downloads

Attached File  016 (Small).JPG   42.89KB   4 downloads
If you click on the pics after they open you can really get a good look of their misfortune.
Thanks All, Blue

#71 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Blue, I would transplant. Maybe that way the roots can get out of the nasties that's doing them in and find a better medium to thrive.. But then... that's what I'd do... It's not all lost yet..
  • Bueller, plant boy, SandiaMts and 2 others like this

#72 DayTripping

DayTripping

Organic Grander

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

Hi Blue, I'm with GG on the replanting, get some good soil, I'll bet they take off. DT

#73 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

they look a little over watered,,,,let them dry out if they don't bounce back right away transplant them,,,just my 2 cents worth
  • Bueller, GeeGee, SandiaMts and 2 others like this

#74 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

Blue, I actually have some hope for your plants! They look to have overcome the initial problem and the tops are GREEN! That's good! I noticed a HUGE difference in repotting mine to 1 gallon containers...really dramatic growth and they look MUCH happier! I am no expert but if the soil they are in is causing some of the problems, then perhaps as others have suggested, if you repot them to larger containers with a soil that you can trust....then the roots will have somewhere to go as opposed to having to remain within the soil that is questionable. Just a thought..... Oh and when/if you choose to repot now, take a look at the roots briefly to see just what they look like. May give you some insight to future grows. Best of luck and I think you will be surprised....I have faith in ya!!!! Sandia iconchef.gif
  • GeeGee, DayTripping, smileyO and 1 other like this

#75 loolagigi

loolagigi

Exiled

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

How the heck is that even possible to have both ? iconchef.gif:P

on the back of my ph meter there is a flat head screw adjustment for 7 and 4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users