#26 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

Back from the dead...literally!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hiya Blue! I can tell you from my LIMITED experience that the pictures where your girls were drooping looks to be overwatering....just as Gee and others pointed out. I swapped my plants to an every third day of watering and that cleared up the "droopiness". I will defer to Pete and the other experts out there but the lower yellowing/browning on your plants looks a little similar to what was going on in mine. Since I was using essentially a soil (perlite 33%/FF Light warrior 66%) mixture that is not rich in nutrients AND I was using distilled water, JAngel suggested using some fish emulsion to bring up the "Green" and Cal/Mag to get rid of the browning. I just added this mixture (pHd to 6.5 after mixing) to the plants. If you look at my journal you can see how they are a bit similar. Again just my little input....I did not know but did you happen to have a way to pH the water? I am not sure if you do.
  • GeeGee, plant boy, IAMMIKE and 3 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

Good Evening Sandia, Thanks for stopping by. I do PH my water and it is at 6.5. I am right now letting the soil soak in some of my water so I can find out the PH of it. Here is a link to learn how to do it if you'd like: http://www.greenpass...5684#post275684 (props to Lucky Cat for the article :)).I am very concerned has the spots are starting on the second set of leaves which are still nice and green. Here's some pics:
Attached File  001 (Small).JPG   54.24KB   11 downloads

Attached File  002 (Small).JPG   47.14KB   10 downloads

If you click on them after they open you can see what I'm talking about better.I can't believe I worry about them like they are my children :)!!!
Can anyone tell me what to use to up PH or lower PH. If so common house hold items would be great. How much to use per gallon of water would be very useful. Thanks to all you good people at GP. You are the engine that makes these gardens grow.
Peace to all, Blue
  • plant boy, SandiaMts, IAMMIKE and 2 others like this

#28 phoneman

phoneman

Tokin & smokin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

hi58025 well, you have the basic same light as i have. a 8 tube 4" hot-5. i have a tent for flower, with a 600watt hps sunmaster. i have never heard of yoursoil. is it organic? i think the organic lable is lots of b.s. although i am using organic. fox farms "happy frog". i see there are lots of commercial alternatives to organic. most with higher yeild results.(and cheaper) like the 20-20-20 fertilizer,that i hear is the shit for the veg side. i currently use the foxfarm stuff. also 'spray-n-grow". and "mega-gro'-hormone..and 2 tbl or more of peroxide (3%) in a gal of water for watering every time. adds oxy to roots. my first time is ready in about 2 weeks or so. take a look at my site. rob

[ATTACH]58026[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58027[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58028[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58029[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58030[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58031[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58032[/ATTACH]

Edited by XBRPete, 03 June 2010 - 10:45 AM.
remove fff

#29 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

Phoneman,Thanks for the great input!!:)I hope my babies grow up someday. I'm pretty worried!!:)

Thanks Blue :)

Edited by Blue_61, 03 June 2010 - 12:11 AM.

• GeeGee, plant boy, SandiaMts and 2 others like this

#30 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

Blue, I will tell you that your spots look almost IDENTICAL to the way mine looked when they started out. Perhaps you did not catch the issue right away and they were already headed down that path. Think of it this way....if you go out in the sun for a long time you get a sunburn. You do not notice it "right" away but eventually you do. If you leave it for a while, then your skin may peel. I think, again just being really new and thinking out loud, that perhaps you identified the issue, but may not have been able to effect a change to prevent the second set of leaves from being affected. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more expertise but the only thing I can offer is what was going on with mine. It looks REALLY similar. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to post up the info. I am really glad that you are as I am following along and learning from your journal! Best wishes! Sandia :)
  • GeeGee, plant boy, IAMMIKE and 3 others like this

#31 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:00 AM

if things go downhill let us know asap
  • plant boy, IAMMIKE, DayTripping and 1 other like this

#32 phoneman

phoneman

Tokin & smokin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

Thanks everyone, I can't believe I over watered. People always compliment me on my vegatables and my house plants and I always preach about over watering. :) I guess I need to take my own advice. I think that researching this for over a year I overloaded the few gray cells I have (or had) left!!!
One question though, does over watering lead to what I think is called eagle claw? Because the first set of leaves after the round seed leaves really curled up under. Thanks everyone for telling me I'm all wet...LOL:rain:
Blue

sorry, in the time i have been in here, i cant figure out how to operate this site. where to go. what to click. how to this. how to that. this site is very complicated. where doi psot a message for all?? and where do i attach a meessage for u? i think all are nice here. the "fff" is also on my resume! and i cant get rid of it! it follows me arond. i may actually shake, and hit the f three times.. i dont know. if i could figure out how to cancel my subscription,l and disapeare, i would, now that i have in advertantly mad u mad. i menat no harm. i will try and delete my profile, as i see there are other grow sites, maybe easiser for me to navagate? best wihses to you and all. rob..

#33 IAMMIKE

IAMMIKE

Cheese and Chocolate...try it!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • LocationMarion, Michigan

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hey Blue

Yea they look hungry.. plus the over water probably didnt help. 1/2 strength fish emulsion (5-1-1) should do the trick or something simular.

I toasted some White Castle this a.m. lol.....kinda grabs ya by the booboo..lmao

Peace
Mike
  • Bueller, plant boy, robotdinosaur and 3 others like this

#34 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18518 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

just remember my friend you and all of us are growing a WEED!!!!!! don't over think or water,,,,they can survive near anything.
  • Bueller, robotdinosaur, IAMMIKE and 3 others like this

#35 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi All, My plants don't look so well. I really think they need a feeding but I'm still waiting for my nutes. My HB Deuce Deuce came today but that is of no help right now. I brewed up some compost tea and water with that hopeing to get a little something to them. Will post pics tommorrow I'm in to much pain with my back to do it tonite. I've been in bed all day. Thanks to everyone!!!:eek:

Blue
  • GeeGee, plant boy, robotdinosaur and 2 others like this

#36 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18518 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

sorry about the pain and your babies good vibes sent your way
  • GeeGee, robotdinosaur, DayTripping and 2 others like this

#37 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Well I said I was not gonna post pics tonite but I can't stop thinking about my poor little babies. I hope I don't get a knock on my door and someone wants to take them away for neglect!!! LOL.
Is it possible they could be getting root bound? I can see the roots circleing around the drainage holes. They only came through the soil 13 days ago. I did make the soil mixture very light and airy to promote root growth. I am not sure if I did have an over watering issue because I always felt half way down the cup and only watered if I felt no moisture (I hope this doesn't offend anyone). Like I said this soil mix is extremely fluffy. Since I backed off the water all my plants including the new growth is wanting to curl down. They definately have stunted their growth. They took off out of the gates really fast and had their 3rd set of real leaves in about 4-6 days, now nada.
Here are some pics of 4 of the plants.

Attached File  001 (Small).JPG   50.92KB   11 downloads

Attached File  002 (Small).JPG   49.09KB   7 downloads

Attached File  006 (Small).JPG   36.39KB   8 downloads

Attached File  007 (Small).JPG   33.79KB   7 downloads

Attached File  008 (Small).JPG   33.6KB   7 downloads

Attached File  009 (Small).JPG   43.78KB   7 downloads
Any toughts on what's going on will be most appreciated. I won't get any nutes with N until Sat. or beginning of next week. I have been everywhere around where I live and can't find a thing besides Miracle-Gro.
Thanks all, Blue
  • GeeGee, robotdinosaur, SandiaMts and 2 others like this

#38 loolagigi

loolagigi

Exiled

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

yikes....sorry i am a water boy...i wish i could help. good karma for your babies....Loola

#39 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

Blue, Can you let us know just how much you are watering and how often? That may help. For example: Each of my party cups is watered with approx 2-3 oz of liquid each time. I let the water kind of dribble onto the soil and then set the cup down. I go to each of the other cups and then return to the first. If there is no water coming out, then I just dribble a tiny bit more and lo and behold a little water comes out of the bottoms. So for my 12 cups, I probably go through about 1 gallon per week MAX. That is right now, in the future they will need more but for now that works. Also, in all the pictures your soil looks really wet. Is it just the type of soil you are using? Are you taking the shots right after a watering? To help, you may want to try to take a photo when you feel they are ready for the next water/feed. Then we can see what the soil looks like when dry. I wish you the best and sorry for your back troubles. Mine have been acting up for a few days now and it stinks!
  • GeeGee, robotdinosaur, loolagigi and 4 others like this

#40 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hi Sandia, I don't know if you read the previous post of mine or maybe you forgot but I mentioned that I had just watered them with a compost tea I made. I wasn't planning on takeing pics that's why the soil was wet. I'm actual pretty surprized by how they've responded. Even the plant that it's bottom leaves are pale yellow and very brown has stood up and stretched it's leaves. clapgifI use about the same amount of water has you do in a week but I use less more often. Did that make sense.LOL I don't soak them than let them look like dust on the top before the next water. I wet them enough to feel the weight difference and then again when their light. Try to keep from one extreme to the other.
I know I did not explain this so well. Sorry I seem to be at a lost for words.(no pun intended) that's not a good thing when typing to communicate.LOL
Take care, Blue
  • GeeGee, SandiaMts, DayTripping and 1 other like this

#41 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:01 AM

Sorry Sandia, I forgot to answer 1 of your questions. Yes all the pics have been after watering. I never think to take the pics before. I always get everything done and then later I'll decide to take them. Good Point!!
  • Bueller, GeeGee, DayTripping and 1 other like this

#42 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

I must have missed the tea being applied Blue...my apologies. I have been in a world of hurt the past two days now so I am not able to concentrate as much on things. Tomorrow is another day though! I am glad that they are doing better once you put the tea in there. After I fed the girls some Fish Emulsion and CalMag yesterday....OMG...mine started to really undergo a growth spurt. Congrats on getting it all worked out! With ya hand in hand on this! Cheers, Sandia amim.smiley.gif
  • Bueller, GeeGee, DayTripping and 2 others like this

#43 Lemonhoko

Lemonhoko

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Actually if plants looks sicklike that, food is the last thing you want to give them. First off, I would transplant the babies into a high grade dirt and slow down some on the watering. Looking at the pics, your dirt looks "tight" to me. Too much moisture and packed too tightly not letting enough oxygen to the roots. When transpanting note the coloration on the roots. They should be bright and healthy looking. If they are brown or dull, my money would be in too much moisture. Good luck! ~Lem
  • GeeGee, DayTripping, smileyO and 2 others like this

#44 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

blue, by looking at the new pics, I dont think it's a food issue, but I'm a seudo newbee so don't take my word. It seems you might have a soil-ph problem. Maybe the soil is off ph to start with. Peat can be acidic. I'm not sure my friend. Wait for someone with more exp to chime in...
  • Bueller, DayTripping, Lemonhoko and 2 others like this

#45 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:49 AM

Hey GeeGee, I was just thinking the same thing. I was reading in the hospital and found some good info. Gonna peak up a new meter tommorrow. Thats if I can get up after staying up so late..LOL

Thanks GeeGee, Blue
  • Bueller, GeeGee, DayTripping and 2 others like this

#46 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:03 AM

Blue, did you read my posts on Wednesday?

Flush Them.... it is the soil, not a feed issue!!

Edited by XBRPete, 04 June 2010 - 06:10 AM.

• GeeGee, DayTripping, smileyO and 1 other like this

#47 IAMMIKE

IAMMIKE

Cheese and Chocolate...try it!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • LocationMarion, Michigan

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

OOOOOHHHHH you already fed them???? sorry bub....right on Pete!! Mike
  • Bueller, GeeGee, DayTripping and 3 others like this

#48 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi Pete, Yes I read your post but I didn't have distilled water. I have 2 plants that are sick but they both appear to have different problems. I was reading in the hospital section on GP (great place btw) and saw pics of N deff. One plant matched the pics and description. The bottom leaves turned purpleish gray in the segments of the leaves.
The other plant looked like the pics and description of either P or K deff. I can't remember which right now. It started with a blotchy gray look. Funny 1 is NL, the other White Castle. I gave them a little drink of weak compost tea last night and a couple hrs. later they had perked up and their leaves started to unfurl.
I have been flip flopping back and forth of whether to flush or feed.
I need to stop over thinking everything (KISS). If you suggest flush that is what I will do tonite!!! I :love: I had my nutes.
Should I soak them in distilled water for a bit or just a real heavy watering?
Thanks for all the help to all my friends on GP. I know you could be doing something better than holding my incompatent hand!! :)
Sincerly, Blue :D
  • Bueller, GeeGee, IAMMIKE and 3 others like this

#49 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

plenty water... plenty....
  • Bueller, IAMMIKE, DayTripping and 2 others like this

#50 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hi all, I want to apologize about how this journal is turning out. I wanted this to be useful and informative but it seems to have turned into my own private place to ask for help!!! I'm sure people can still learn from my mistakes but it was meant to be for all, not just my questions!!! I promise I will try to post more of the solutions and less of the problems.
I am going to be flushing them today. I had to go to 5 stores to get 5 gallons of distilled water.(pain in the arse) I'm going to flush at a 3 to 1 ratio. 20 oz cup - 60 oz of water. I also have noticed that the PH of my water went from 6..5-6.8 to 7.5 after adding an airstone to the water. I don't know if the jump in the PH had anything to do with my troubles but after the flush I will make sure my PH is adjusted before they get watered again.
Thanks to everyone who has helped me fix this mess!!!
Keep it green, Blue
  • Bueller, GeeGee, robotdinosaur and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users