#1 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi Everyone, This is my first attempt at growing MMJ. I hope this journal will help others on what to do or what not to do. I invite all input be it good or bad. :) All critizism welcome, for that is how we learn the most.
I have germed; 6 Northern Lights and 4 White Castle (White Widowx Nirvana's Ice). All seeds came from Nirvana. I was 10 out of 10 on the germ. I'm hopeing to get 2NL and 1WC females.
BTW this is a soil grow.
The soil mix; 5 parts Hyponex soil, 3 parts Coast of Maine (Penobscot Blend) compost, and 2 parts Perlite.
Lights: 2 T5HO 4' l, 4 lamps each.
Lamps; 8 T5HO 6500k (for veg).
These plants will be in a grow tent by the time the long weekend is over. Had some family issues to deal with and didn't get the tent set up before they needed light.:)
I am planning on useing Humboldt Organic nutes. More on that later.
PICS;
#1-2)This is of how NOT to hang your lights...lol
#3-5) Plants in soil 2 days
#6-8) Plants in soil 4 days

Attached File  006 (Small).JPG   46.13KB   26 downloads

Attached File  007 (Small).JPG   33.14KB   30 downloads

Attached File  010 (Small).JPG   60.62KB   25 downloads

Attached File  014 (Small).JPG   62.11KB   25 downloads

Attached File  020 (Small).JPG   37.19KB   23 downloads

Attached File  026 (Small).JPG   67.72KB   23 downloads

Attached File  029 (Small).JPG   55.44KB   21 downloads

Attached File  030 (Small).JPG   59.73KB   26 downloads

Sorry the pics are not to good. I need to find the manual for my camera so I can use the macro.
BTW The soil was to the top of the cups but I didn't pack it down because I new the soil would settle during watering. I water useing a condiment bottle from the dollar store.
The lights where purposely left a little high from the top of the plants because I want some strech so I can back fill the cups thus getting more root from the part of the stem that gets buried. The lights are about 8" high and I thought that I'd have more strech so far.
Well I hope all the good people at GP will find this useful or tell me what I'm doing wrong!!

Enjoy, Blue
P.S. the pics will enlarge if clicked on. :)

Edited by Blue_61, 30 May 2010 - 11:59 AM.

• Bueller, GeeGee, plant boy and 9 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

Looks awesome Blue, I see you used coast of Maine product,, You must be from up north here,, Live in Maine with the black flies myself,,lol Have a good one with a happy and safe grow!!!
  • Bueller, plant boy, SandiaMts and 6 others like this

#3 loolagigi

loolagigi

Exiled

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

sweet, ill be watching.

#4 DayTripping

DayTripping

Organic Grander

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1507 posts
  • LocationOn My 80 Acre's Of Heavn

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

Blue61, Awesome I'm glad you decided to do a journal and looking forward to following your grow. Deb-HAS-grn, I don't live in Maine but them dam black flies horrific this year take the dogs out and there all over me and the dogs. Then throw in the tent caterpillar that are covering the house and eatting all the leaves off my trees.:) DT
  • Bueller, plant boy, SandiaMts and 5 others like this

#5 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

Blue, I'm very happy to see your journal! I only wish the best on your journey! And ask away if needed, will check back laterz
  • Bueller, plant boy, SandiaMts and 4 others like this

#6 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

Ooo and I wanted to say, once the leafs pop over the rim of the cups, get that light as close as possible...
  • Bueller, plant boy, SandiaMts and 3 others like this

#7 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi GeeGee, Thanks for checking in. I will be lowering the lights, I left them up on purpose because I wanted some stretch.:)
  • Bueller, GeeGee, plant boy and 5 others like this

#8 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

Looks awesome Blue, I see you used coast of Maine product,, You must be from up north here,, Live in Maine with the black flies myself,,lol Have a good one with a happy and safe grow!!!

Hi Deb-HAS-grn, Thanks for stoppin by. About the black flies; You mean the MAINE STATE BIRD!!:) I hope you check in from time to time and share your knowledge with a newbie like myself. Have a great long weekend!!!

Blue

#9 IAMMIKE

IAMMIKE

Cheese and Chocolate...try it!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • LocationMarion, Michigan

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

:)groovy......

Mike

#10 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

Good Day All, I am hopeing the good people at GP can help me out. My plants have been in the soil for 7 days and I think they have heat stress. The thermometer under the lights has been reading between 81-85 degrees. If I put it on the floor I get the same readings. I haven't put them in the tent yet because I thought they would get more air circulation out in the open. If the temps on the floor were cooler then they would go in the tent to pull the cold air down below.

I've noticed the rate of growth has slowed and some of them the leaves have curled under. The roots are growing great and I can see them in the drainage holes I put in the cups. It's been unseasonably warm which doesn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I just stressing to much. The temps have cooled today and it's a comfy 75 under the lights. I also was wondering if the leaves will uncurl when the problem is fixed or will they stay that way.

Here's some pics for you to see what I'm talking about.
Thanks to everybody, Bluehelpgif
P.S. Sorry about the quality I still need to learn the macro.

Attached File  001 (Small).JPG   45.31KB   10 downloads

Attached File  002 (Small).JPG   38.03KB   8 downloads

Attached File  003 (Small).JPG   40.88KB   8 downloads

#11 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

blue, it looks like overwatering to me. I've run seedlings at 90 and they haven't complained..

#12 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

Thanks GeeGee, I've only been watering once a day. I always put my finger about 2" into the soil and if I feel any moisture I don't water. I will definatley try cutting back to see if that helps. I have not feed them yet, I thought that they would get enough food through the good compost I used.
Thanks my man, Blue

#13 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

once a day is too much my friend... given their size, let them be 4 days without water... then resume... fill one cup with soil, and grab it's weight. then when you are unsure when to water the girls, go grab the one that's pure soil and compare the weight.

#14 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thanks GeeGee, Thats a great idea!! I thought where the cups were so small and hold such a little amount of soil, plus have drainage holes they would dry out faster. I've always been careful of over watering with other gardens I've had but I guess I've been second guessing myself. Thanks for the great suggestion, Blue

#15 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

Good one GG! You hit the nail on the head, the little ones are too wet.....at 80 you don't even have to worry about checking for three days Blue. Peace and patience buddy, it's OK to not do something to the plants everyday! Pete
  • GeeGee, plant boy, SandiaMts and 5 others like this

#16 IAMMIKE

IAMMIKE

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hey Blue...
I agree with to smart folks below me...80-85 is fine for seedlings they like it. Humidity in the 60-65 range also.

I bet if you didnt go into the room for 2-3 days you would be real happy when you do. Plus your cups (might) be dry enough to water again.

Peace

Mike

#17 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone, I can't believe I over watered. People always compliment me on my vegatables and my house plants and I always preach about over watering. :toking: I guess I need to take my own advice. I think that researching this for over a year I overloaded the few gray cells I have (or had) left!!!
One question though, does over watering lead to what I think is called eagle claw? Because the first set of leaves after the round seed leaves really curled up under. Thanks everyone for telling me I'm all wet...LOL:rain:
Blue

#18 IAMMIKE

IAMMIKE

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

Thanks everyone, I can't believe I over watered. People always compliment me on my vegatables and my house plants and I always preach about over watering. clapgif I guess I need to take my own advice. I think that researching this for over a year I overloaded the few gray cells I have (or had) left!!!
One question though, does over watering lead to what I think is called eagle claw? Because the first set of leaves after the round seed leaves really curled up under. Thanks everyone for telling me I'm all wet...LOL:rain:
Blue

YUP YUP YUP it does Blue

Peace
Mike

#19 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hi Guys and Gals, I have a problem that I hope you kind GP masters can help with!! 2 of my 9 plants the first set of true leaves turned greenish yellow 2 days ago and now have some grayish purple blotches on them. 2 others are starting to lighten also.
They've been in soil 9 days and have never been fed. The PH of water is 6.5. The temps had been 80-85 but the last 2 1/2 days about 75.
People have expressed their concern of over watering but I'm not so sure now. I checked them at 37hrs and they were bone dry. they perked up nicley after a very small drink. I guess i've taken the long way to post this..lol:dunce:
1) could lack of oxygen in the water cause this?
2) There's not much food in 20oz. cup of soil, could they need to be feed? Most are getting their 4th leaves.
3)Could they have a disease?
I tryed to find this out in the hospital and overgrow F.A.Q. But pics are of much older plants.
Maybe I'm just a plant hypercondriact...LOL
Anyone haveing the patients to read this whole thing and still want to help desrves a prize!!!clapgif
Here's pics of the 2 sick babies.

1-2)same plant
3-4)same plant

Attached File  001 (Small).JPG   47.46KB   8 downloads

Attached File  009 (Small).JPG   53.56KB   8 downloads

Attached File  011 (Small).JPG   56.93KB   9 downloads

Attached File  013 (Small).JPG   45.28KB   7 downloads

You Guys and Gals at GP rock, Blue
  • GeeGee, plant boy, SandiaMts and 3 others like this

#20 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Is they grayish on the new growth? or just down? If it is in the new growth then that is not good. If new growth looks good then its ok. If the new growth does not look good, then is it grayish or yellowish? if grayish, not good. if yellowing, then it could be they are asking for their first baby N feed. Could it have been that the lower leafs went underwater when you watered the cups? if yes, then it's all good. does your soil have any kind of slow release nutes?
  • plant boy, SandiaMts, IAMMIKE and 3 others like this

#21 GeeGee

GeeGee

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

or are you using RO water? if so, then it could be a small deff but I doubt it.. peace my friend
  • plant boy, SandiaMts, IAMMIKE and 2 others like this

#22 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hi GeeGee, Thanks for looking at the problem. To answer your questions, no the leaves have never been under water. I never give them that much water. The newer growth on a couple of plants looks a little light but that could be because their so new. No my soil has no ferts or nutes in it. It's just dead soil with 30% compost and 20% perlite. My water is from the tap that I let sit out for at least 24hrs. I thought I might be losing oxygen in the water so last night I put a 10" air stone in it. I thought because of the paleness of the bottom leaves it might need N, but I'm just a new comer at this. I read on N deficancy and they talk about it starting from the bottom up. I'm surprised that they might need to be feed so quick.
If you think it's N do you have a suggestion for something because I won't get my nutes till the weekend. I thought I read that molasses contains a little N.
I hope this gave you the info you need.
Thanks for being so genorous with your knowledge!!!
  • GeeGee, plant boy, SandiaMts and 4 others like this

#23 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

Blue! How ya doin....here is the Maine compost mix you are in, from their site..

Penobscot Blend is our popular all-purpose planting mix. A blend of compost and peat, it is ideal for planting annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees or conditioning gardens, beds and borders.
Penobscot Blend is made with fully matured salmon, blueberry and mussel compost (2/3) and sphagnum moss peat (1/3).

I don't think this is "dead" soil and might be causing distress, why don't you get some distilled water and give them a good flush the next watering, then after that dries, give your first nutes.

I find it troubling that these seeds are germed on 5/25 and already show damage and no nutrients were added after the over-water so I am inclined to say flush them with distilled and keep an eye on the new stuff...

Peace!
Pete

#24 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hi Pete and thank you!! I didn't mean the soil was dead I meant the hyponex soil that is mixed with the compost was dead. I guess I didn't explain myself well (me bad)...lol. Again thanks for your time I'm sure your very busy and have better things to do than help an overly concerned parent like myself. Does that compost sound good to you, if you have the time to answer?
Take care, Blue
  • Bueller, GeeGee, plant boy and 4 others like this

#25 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

I like the fact that the compost is from the sea, but the pH is what concerns me and how our plant takes in it nutrients, the site does not list the values of the compost so it is hard for me to determine..... except by watching your grow... we have the black flies here in the Adirondacks too by the way... little fekers got into my chest hair and drilled for my sternum... right by my 100% deet.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users