Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo

After a LONG time....Sandia's first grow!!!!

• Please log in to reply
610 replies to this topic

#26 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

Your truly a natural Sandia,, I will watch this with pride for you,,, What a lovely journey you have ahead of you!!!!
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 10 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 pappy666

pappy666

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Locationstate capitol

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

shakehands.gifWow Sandia congradulations. Sending good bud karma your way.

#28 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

Back from the dead...literally!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone! DayTripping...the lights are from either Home Depot or Lowes. I picked up the cord/bulb assembly in what they commonly refer to as "brood lamps". I got the big size as I liked the porcelain bulb sockets better than plastic. The "Y" fittings in which the bulbs go in are at either store and I found them in the electrical aisle. The little white thingy <----technical term....is actually a temp sensor off of one of the indoor/outdoor thermometers. I wanted to see what the temps were at the tips of the leaves so that's why I have it propped up like that. Girls are doing fine this morning. Still a little damp so I won't be spritzing them until later on today. One of the plants has started to develop the second set of leaves on it and they are all doing well. :)
  • CAMSTER626, PFC Stone, deventhedude and 8 others like this

#29 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hi Everyone! Just a quick post with two pictures for you all. I am trying to work out the photography aspect of this camera I have and am playing with the settings a bit.:pot leaf: Watering is something I would like to have as more of a "science" than an "art". It would be easy to say "10mls per watering", but I have not gained the experience necessary to make that call so I am kind of going by the seat of my pants and taking everyone's collective knowledge/experiences as a guideline. I define the initial "putting them in the dirt day" as "D-Day"....each day is D+1, D+2, D+3 etc. Helps me keep track! Some people may be wondering just how much water I put in the party cups? My response is..."It kind of depends". I wish I could be more specific but I really haven't been measuring it at all. I lift the cup out of the tray and feel the soil. The surface changes to a light brown color when it is dry. That does NOT mean that the soil right underneath the 2-3mm is bone dry. It has moisture in it. Since Party Cups are small and the soil mixture is very light I go by the way the cup feels in my hand. I took note of how the cup felt when it was first filled with the soil mixture and when it feels heavier then I think it has enough water. To break this down further, NONE of the cups (with an exception of three experiments) have ever had water come out of the holes in the bottom. Last night I filled up one cup of each strain (DQ, Querkle, Vortex) with a bunch of squirts of the water sprayer. Each of these was labeled with a small piece of foil tape. I wanted to see how the plants reacted. So far no change in appearance (not that one was expected). Since I began this grow, I have gone through about 3/4 of a gallon of distilled water. A few ounces of this has been lost to "priming the sprayer" because I use the stream setting and is the easiest way for me to count full sprays if that makes sense. Some of the cups get a bit drier than others because of the way the air from the fan hits the plants and from the circulation within the tray. I have been rotating the plants to different positions in the tray itself and turning them so that if they are bending in one particular direction...I change it to 180 degrees off so that the plant does not have a "Lean" to it. I have noticed that some plants within strains are a bit smaller than others. This could be a phenotypical variation OR perhaps any of several environmental changes (closer to light, a bit more water, temp off by a degree). Who knows.....just thought I would pass that on for any person curious about my observations. This is actually a really fun/exciting activity for me. I really enjoy seeing these plants grow and love the minute changes I see every few hours. The first pic is a shot of the tray with the lights. The second shot is of one of the Vortex plants. I would say that about 1/2 of all the plants now have a distinct start of the second set of real leaves. Not a ton to show in the room so only a couple of pictures! Thanks for all of the support, well wishes, good Karma, and most of all advice!!!! I wish all of you good grows, no bugs, and great harvests! Cheers! amim.smiley.gif

Attached Files

#30 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Looking good sweetheart!

As far as your query about watering this is what you can do:

Get one of your red racing cups and fill with the same soil mix. Keep this one dry.....then when you are wondering if they need watering, lift the one with the dry soil in it, and one of your plants...if it is the same wieght, water, if not, leave it till it is. You will get so that by hefting your plant you will know right away if they are dry. It will not harm them to be dry either...they need that dry part as much as the wet it seems.

It is better to give them a good watering, soaking the whole pot and all the soil in it until the water comes freely out the bottom, and keep all the medium evenly moist,than it is to just partially water, and therefore have some dry bits and some wet. It is better for the plant that is...the roots want to evenly grow and if it only finds water in some spots it can't do that.

You are a wonderful care giver to your babies. Once you get this first grow under your belt you will be growing to the moon and back, my dear one!

And remember...it is Just a weed!
  • CAMSTER626, PFC Stone, deventhedude and 10 others like this

#31 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Also, Sandia, when watering, concentrate around the edges, as this will force the plant to send roots out to fill up the outside area of the cup, not just the middle. As well, you do not want the stems of the plants to be soaking all the time as this can cause rot and mould. Just make sure you have a good runoff when watering...it is important and says all the soil has been wet.
  • CAMSTER626, PFC Stone, deventhedude and 11 others like this

#32 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

As J said Sandia... listen to the boss lady; I sure did and I harvested! You are on your way Sandia... I'm so "chuffed" for you!
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 8 others like this

#33 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

As J said Sandia... listen to the boss lady; I sure did and I harvested!

You are on your way Sandia... I'm so "chuffed" for you!

LOL! That seems like such a long time ago GG! amim.smiley.gif

Love ya bud.
  • CAMSTER626, PFC Stone, deventhedude and 9 others like this

#34 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

JAngel..... That is an incredible idea on the "test cup" with just soil in it!!!!! I will do just that here in a few minutes! So at this stage of the game D+5 it is ok to go ahead and water till I have runoff? I have been concentrating on watering the edges the most as that is the way I was always taught to water potted plants so that the roots have to search for the water! GeeGee.....I will be sure to heed the advice! I know that it has served you and others well from seeing all of the results here on the board! I consider myself fortunate to have found not only a place for incredible knowledge but a place that is simply full of compassion and giving!!!! THANK YOU for providing this to us all!!!!! smhug.gifsmhug.gifsmhug.gif
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 9 others like this

#35 Lydia

Lydia

ॐ ॐ ॐ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1784 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

Ahhhh you gave birth, well done huni!!!they look good and strong!!!

#36 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Kaz! Appreciate you taking a peek here!

Question: I know people use the tried and true rule of "if you can place your hand under the lights and not have it get uncomfortable, you can safely put the lights this close to the plants".....

What I would like to know is that my little sensor is at leaf level. 8x23Wx6500K CFLs are shining on my girls with a fan blowing over them. I have the portable AC unit running as well. The temp at the leaf sensor can get to 82 degrees max but the soil level remains at around 75-77 degrees. When the AC comes on to the cooling stage the temps at leaf level drop to 75 degrees.

Should I raise the lights up to 5" and not let them "bump that higher temp" OR should I follow the rule of keeping the lights close (1-2 inches)?

Trying to figure out the two schools of thought on this. Any tips? Posted Image

Also: I did the watering with the runoff method as JAngel suggested. This was done about 12 hours ago and while the cups are not totally dry I can see a slight difference in the weight of the cups when compared to the "test cup" with just soil in it. Plants seem to be doing well and all but one have the second set of leaves starting to show, small but showing just the same!

:(
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 6 others like this

#37 Spaceview

Spaceview

Fair and Balanced Honoured Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3838 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Looking very good Sandia. The temps sound good. Unless you are seeing a problem, I would leave it as is.
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 7 others like this

#38 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Space, Thanks for stopping in and replying! I honestly would not know if there was a problem yet. The seedlings are still small but appear to be fine. The leaves are not dark green but are more of a light green color. I will zap up a picture of some of them taken a few minutes ago. To ME, they look just fine but perhaps someone else may know something I do not....that is the beauty of this site, amongst other things!!!!!!! Here are some shots! :) As always....comments, suggestions, advice are all welcomed with open arms!:D

Attached Files

#39 underground

underground

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

great job they look happy to me good luck

#40 Spaceview

Spaceview

Fair and Balanced Honoured Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3838 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

Those photos look exactly like beautiful, healthy plants. Take it from someone who frets way too much over his grows, take a deep breath and let them do their thing. I like the light set-up. I may copy something similar for my veg room.

#41 SandiaMts

SandiaMts

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts
  • LocationRocky Mts....

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Thanks folks!!!! I think they are doing just fine but always appreciate another set of eyes or two on them!!!! Space, I like the setup with the CFL's....my plan is on Sunday to swap over to the Metal Halide lamp and then be in a 18/6 cycle for lighting. I need to run this system and see that it works well so that will not only test my timer but the ballast and lamp as well. If there are any issues, I can always go back to the CFLs until they are sorted out! Nice to have a backup plan! They are currently on a 24/0 lighting cycle now as it was just easier for me to leave the lights on and see how things work out. Thanks again for viewing Underground and Space!
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 13 others like this

#42 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

Certified Caregiver Cultivator

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

WOW...you have come a long long way....FEELS great eh??? Excellent job my friend...excellent
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 11 others like this

#43 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

and away they go! they look very good. as Spaceview said let them do there thing. you cant go wrong with these guys advice.
  • CAMSTER626, PFC Stone, deventhedude and 9 others like this

#44 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

JAngel.....

That is an incredible idea on the "test cup" with just soil in it!!!!! I will do just that here in a few minutes!

So at this stage of the game D+5 it is ok to go ahead and water till I have runoff?

I have been concentrating on watering the edges the most as that is the way I was always taught to water potted plants so that the roots have to search for the water!

GeeGee.....I will be sure to heed the advice! I know that it has served you and others well from seeing all of the results here on the board!

I consider myself fortunate to have found not only a place for incredible knowledge but a place that is simply full of compassion and giving!!!!

THANK YOU for providing this to us all!!!!!

smhug.gifsmhug.gifsmhug.gif

Yes, sweetie...you will be fine. And you do not want those lights too far or the plants will stretch. You are good to go for now. If you do put up the MH, make sure you start the seedlings about 3 feet away and gradually put them closer over a day. You do not want to put them too close too fast or they will burn. And the temp is fine at 82 at leaf surface, as long as they have the breeze and the air is moving, they will do well. Aim for 78 but don't freak at a few degrees either way.

Having the knowledge to grow other things will stand you in good stead sweetie...you will be fine. I know it sure has helped me.
  • CAMSTER626, PFC Stone, deventhedude and 10 others like this

#45 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

The first days of ones first grow are as close as one can come to sending a child to school for the first time...only spread out over weeks! You will find yourself fretting, and checking,,,and double checking...be tempted to tweak or play with something in the grow...DON'T! Let it be...it's hard to do, but it is wh@ we all do...it's just harder and more exciting the first time....especially when you've put as much research/time/$/freedom/sweat equity into it. Relax...wait until something goes wrong before 'fixing' anything...and I'm sure the GPeeps will alert you if they notice anything awry. :D muA
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, deventhedude and 8 others like this

#46 artistickat

artistickat

Happy Camper

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

Congrats, Sandia they look great!!!

#47 robotdinosaur

robotdinosaur

Medicinal MJ User/Grower/Advocate

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Woo Hoo! Happy babies wall.gif Congratulations Sandia - I look forward to your progress :cool:
  • jangel, CAMSTER626, PFC Stone and 9 others like this

#48 Lydia

Lydia

ॐ ॐ ॐ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1784 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

looking good!!!i love the baby days, you can really see the differences from day to day...

#49 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

baby pics just like and expectant father...lol
  • CAMSTER626, PFC Stone, deventhedude and 8 others like this

#50 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Sandia is doing the Zombie walk.... the babies are calling ...I must go to see them.. L better watch for sleep walking.. ffs..... Love ya bro! Pete

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users