8 replies to this topic

#1 barrelhse

barrelhse

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

I don't grow outdoors anymore, although I have a lot of legit gardens. The deer used to decimate the Hosta until I tried a product called Morganite. I think it's sold as lawn food, can get it at Home Dep, Agway. It's made from processed sewer sludge- absolutely keeps deer away, lasts a long time. Ideal for guerrilla gardening in the bush. Can't say if it works on other critters.
  • SHAMAN likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

Something else that might work well is Cougar urine, if you can find it at a Trappers supply house. That, coyote and bobcat, but the Mtn. Lion is best. I don't suggest the lion whiz in any state that allows the use of hounds for hunting cougar...cause the urine smell will bring those dogs right to your plants! ISO
  • SHAMAN likes this

#3 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

electro fence do well, barbwire if use lots of it... dead deer does well to but it attracts dog and shit too...

#4 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

there used to be bear foam too but it turned out that the foam lost its performance on deer after only a few days - see: deers are smart!

#5 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:04 AM

I've never had problems with deer, and i happen to live in an area with a huge overpopulation of deer. I would imagine a salt lick placed near by would be more appealing to a deer than your crop? but then again it might just attract more deer to the area? has anyone had luck with using a salt lick?

#6 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:11 PM

Was reading an old copy of High Times last night and read an article where Reeferman (of the seed company origin), suggest using slices of Irish Spring soap placed in the area. He said it keeps deer away! ??????? ISO

#7 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:24 PM

Any deodorant soap should work. But, it will wash away in a rain. I heard of suspending bars of soap from nearby tree limbs. I suppose one could suspend them from a large enough MJ plant, too.

#8 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

I've never had problems with deer, and i happen to live in an area with a huge overpopulation of deer. I would imagine a salt lick placed near by would be more appealing to a deer than your crop? but then again it might just attract more deer to the area? has anyone had luck with using a salt lick?

that is what i did in hunting season for lazy hunting - draws all deer and moose in!! so to protect a grow with that is a bad idea.

#9 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

Was reading an old copy of High Times last night and read an article where Reeferman (of the seed company origin), suggest using slices of Irish Spring soap placed in the area. He said it keeps deer away!

???????

ISO

Hell ya Irish spring works great. But don't put it to close to the plants. It will desolve in the the earth and your plant will end up tasting soapy..
I know it happened to some of my bud one year. I swear every toke I took I blew bubbles when I exhaled!!!

** I like to take old pickle jars and lay them out on their sides with a bar of Irish spring in side top off. This help the bar to last longer and keeps it from dissolving in to the soil. Or deodorant stick's work to.. Make sure to camo the jar, Cover it with some dry grass.**

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users