11 replies to this topic

#1 Diversified

Diversified

Old Timer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If it's not, please move it. I have been active in the medical marijuana actions in the state I live in. Right now it is just a bill and is being held up in the state's health commity by the chairwoman that refuses to bring it up for a vote. I have also been trying to join a local NORML chapter. They are 45 miles away and only have 4 members. I have emailed all 4 members requesting information on how to join their chapter and have never gotten a response. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about joining this chapter? I just thought it was odd that they wouldn't respond at all.

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 time4me

time4me

nature lover

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

It's my understanding that NORML is currently concentrating it's efforts on legalizing mj in Cali, as it is "more politically important" than other states. Good luck. My money is going to the local mj legal advocates in my state. NORML doesn't seem to do much here.

#3 Diversified

Diversified

Old Timer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

In this state, NORML is terrible. They only have 1 chapter in the state, it's in a college town, only has 4 members and they don't answer any emails.

#4 time4me

time4me

nature lover

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

When California was first trying to get medical marijuana some of the supporters went to NORML originally for help. They were told that NORML can't introduce legislation, etc. Over 30 years, and what has really been accomplished by them? Look up what organizations introduced mmj laws in states where it is legal. Not NORML! Wave money right in front of their face and they might let you join. But you might be better off if you found a local group other than that one.

#5 Diversified

Diversified

Old Timer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

I had also been in contact with a person named Sabrina from NORML about speaking at the rally in Washington DC on 4/20/2011. I told her it was a grass roots, all volunteer group that was running strictly on donations and that any money left over after buying permits and such was being donated to medical marijuana patients. I'm not sure what part of that she didn't like, but I haven't heard back from her since. My guess is the fact that there was nothing in it for NORML except the fact that they would be helping people.

#6 Diversified

Diversified

Old Timer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

After thinking about it, it's probably a good thing I didn't join the local NORML chapter. If I did, I would have to become an inactive activist. :)

#7 time4me

time4me

nature lover

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

You are too funny, Div! Offer to give NORML all the proceeds and they will probably call you back. Ask them what they will do with said proceeds and you probably won't hear from them again! lmao, it's not really funny, but what does NORML do besides "endorse" certain campaigns? Can anyone come up with anything that NORML has taken the lead on and produced positive results?

#8 Diversified

Diversified

Old Timer

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

I'm on twitter as 420inDC and have been trying to find anyone that knows of a single case where NORML has actually initiated anything to help legalize marijuana. The only response I get is that they have either supported or opposed something, but not one thing they have initiated. That got me thinking. NORML always says we need to "work slowly" or keep trying because it will not change this year. Then it dawned on me, if marijuana were legalized, NORML would cease to exist! Their cash flow would vanish. It's not only NORML. I talked to Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) and explained how we need to get medical marijuana legalized at the federal level so that people with cancer, autism, etc... could get the care they need without worrying about being arrested. They said they understand the problem and are very sympathetic with the medical needs of American citizens. Then, almost in the same breath, they said to send them cash and they will speak at the rally. I've seen this over the years with many other things too. It may start as a good cause, but as soon as they get a taste of the money, they are hooked. They have an addiction!

Edited by Diversified, 27 July 2010 - 09:20 AM.

• Bueller likes this

#9 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

I joined NORML three years ago by registering on line and giving them $. I got no receipt or acknowlegement. I also received no other paperwork, publications, e-mails, etc to indicate that I was now part of something. E-mail inquiries were ignored. I went to a local meeting and asked the state leader when I could expect my card and was rudely dismissed with scowl and the admonition, "That's national, not us." I was already not impressed with the content of the meeting, so I have never been back, nor pursued it with "national." Neither group looks like anyone I would choose to represent my interests. While I support some of the same ideas, they seem willing to roadblock medical MJ progress if it suits their own personal political activisim agendas, so I instead joined local medical marijuana groups that seemed more attuned to my own medical marijuana interests and the agenda of helping patients. If you have wretched excesses of money and are looking for a black hole to stuff it in without any trace, accounting, or audit trail being left, NORML seems like a good bet from this disgruntled perspective. Even the secret initiate handshake remains a secret.
  • Bueller likes this

#10 time4me

time4me

nature lover

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Don't get me wrong, when NORML was first started I thought their intentions were great, but soon after it became a bunch of self-interested stoners who sat around collecting donations and not really doing anything. I would have thought they would have opened their eyes and changed a few things after some 30-odd years of mostly nothing. They jump on every other groups bandwagon after the fact and then take as much credit as they can steal. As a national organization you would think they would be spearheading legalization efforts, but that was a dream that has never come to fruition.
  • Bueller likes this

#11 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20507 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

NORML seems more like an insider fraternity than anything like an effective lobbying organization. I send donations to groups that try to do things and make a difference. What's needed is a marijuana version of the NRA and NORML ain't even close.
  • Bueller and time4me like this

#12 ion magic

ion magic

crone

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

i'm like Groucho Marx ...never interested in joining any org that would have me as a member. LOL ion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users