Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#202 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

I leave the cooker on 12-14 hours, checking it to top up the water as it evaporates {I put the lid on but it still does evaporate} and @ the end I pull the root pulp out and strain the lot through a clean giant sized chux cloth {pre-washed} and put it in the freezer to...freeze B)
muA

Do we cook in low or in high temperature for 12-14 hours in a crock pot?
  • HD96, 420friendly and fiona like this

#203 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

low is how I set it...top up the water as needed as it can evaporate....less water there is the more heat the oil will begin to hold.... muA

#204 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Completed my first try on root balm today!
I chopped up the root mass and stem plus some soggy leafs from one tree and boiled them in coconut oil and water in the slow cooker for 17 hours... strained the whole lot through strainer and cheese cloth... then put the pulp back in the cooker with some more water and cooked for another 5 hours... drained and squeezed the mixture again in separate bowl and left them to cool... then placed them in the refrigerator over night (didn't fit in the freezer). Scraped of the oil and discarded the water...combined and placed the oil from both bowls in me rice cooker... set it on low temp and added half a thumb bees wax cut up in small pieces... cooked it for about half hour so the excess water would evaporate... i let it cool for a while and added some nard essential oil that a friend had made for me... it is still quite watery tho... it will probably thicken when it is fully chilled...And the most important part! i tested it and it works!! I've been rubbing it on family and me self and the pain disappears!!!

Thank you for your help!

FS
  • PoeticLife, HD96, 420friendly and 1 other like this

#205 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

wonderful to hear FS! :woohoo: ... if it's still watery one can melt it again over a pan of hot water and add more wax...but in general coconut oil should need little to no wax.... viscous oils like olive and canola would need more wax....besides...I personally think a balm applied watm is more immediately effective. Ya taken ya first step! hehehe kudos!...a lil confidence and experience under the belt really boosts the self esteem, eh? :D :toking: This is also effective on old arthritic dogs...if ya know of one...try it on em...you and the owner will be astounded by the change methinks :D hehehhe muA

#206 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

wonderful to hear FS! :woohoo: ...
if it's still watery one can melt it again over a pan of hot water and add more wax...but in general coconut oil should need little to no wax.... viscous oils like olive and canola would need more wax....besides...I personally think a balm applied watm is more immediately effective.

Ya taken ya first step! hehehe kudos!...a lil confidence and experience under the belt really boosts the self esteem, eh? :D
:toking:

This is also effective on old arthritic dogs...if ya know of one...try it on em...you and the owner will be astounded by the change methinks :D hehehhe

muA

Thanks Medi! :) will add more wax if it does'nt thicken... the whole procedure was so exciting! can't wait to try me next recipe

Edited by FreeSpirit, 07 October 2012 - 09:03 AM.

• HD96, 420friendly, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#207 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I've spent the last couple of hours reading this thread! I just harvested my two plants (girls) last night, spent all night trimming and bagging the plant material and put in to freezer for NN#2. I still have supplies to order before I can cook properly. My roots are still in the ground, will be digging them up tomorrow. 1.) What is the best way to clean outdoor soil from roots? I want to start a batch of root balm next week, will need to get some beeswax. 2.) Does it make sense to blend/Vitamix the root mass instead of pounding with a hammer after I cook it for a bit in water? 3.) As for the actual above ground plant matter...Any tips for what to do with the main stems and the smaller stem material? I want to use it for meds someday. I don't have a chipper. The main stems were about 4-5" in diameter. Should I just freeze it for now? Thanks very much! MM
  • HD96 and fiona like this

#208 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I've spent the last couple of hours reading this thread! I just harvested my two plants (girls) last night, spent all night trimming and bagging the plant material and put in to freezer for NN#2. I still have supplies to order before I can cook properly.

My roots are still in the ground, will be digging them up tomorrow.

1.) What is the best way to clean outdoor soil from roots?

I would put em inna tub of water and swish the soil off them...ya can gather smaller pieces after removing most of the soil...

I want to start a batch of root balm next week, will need to get some beeswax.

if using coconut oil, beeswax is then optional...it's mainly as a thickening agent and coconut oil is solid below 20*C-21*C...however if using another type of oil one need not add a thickening agent if one is happy applying an oil instead of a balm :P

2.) Does it make sense to blend/Vitamix the root mass instead of pounding with a hammer after I cook it for a bit in water?

if ya machine can take it, go ahead :D

3.) As for the actual above ground plant matter...Any tips for what to do with the main stems and the smaller stem material? I want to use it for meds someday. I don't have a chipper. The main stems were about 4-5" in diameter. Should I just freeze it for now?

check here for a quick budstem oil method...have done it with leaf also...just did more last night! :D hehehe

Thanks very much!

MM

anytime! :toking:

muA

#209 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

Yesterday i was given the opportunity to try the root balm on several people...the results were almost instant on all the recipients!! it is amazing how it works! it helped everyone i had applied it on, both children and adults!! one of the children had a bad burn on the inside of her arm...after the second rub (same day) her arm had formed a crust! and today looks like what it would look like one week after a burn! amazing! everyone started to ask me what it was made from...started to panic a bit because people here are not so open minded...and i could get in to allot of trouble...but that wont stop me from helping whoever i can!
I am so grateful to be here and grateful for learning how to make this wonderful medicine ! There is nothing like the feeling you get when you have helped someone rid of there pain...
Thank you

FS

#210 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

muahhahaha...got da warm and fuzzy's now hehehe can always tell em it's wombat balm... :D why?....well, the wombat is known to eat roots shoots and leaves... :D... You'll find it works great on weeping wounds and burns....seems to really help with damaged skin wounds. Great news to hear FS... muA

#211 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Told them that all that matters is that it helps...there's no need to know any further info... but if anyone should need to sooth there pain i am always willing to give them a relieving rub...a friend wants to bring her mum over for a rub!!! can't wait to see the results!! :D

FS

Edited by FreeSpirit, 21 October 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#212 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

Does the skin of the stem have healing properties? if it doesn't maybe i could peel it of before putting in the food processor... :unsure: i already burned one on my first try...i'm gathering material for my second batch of root balm, this time i will use root mass, stem and trim from two plants...first time i only used one plant...and maybe add some vitamin E to it which is good for the skin...i think i will skip the essential oil this time so that i could try ingesting it... FS
  • bongbonghi, HD96 and fiona like this

#213 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

I put stems into my balms if I don't use them for oil extraction....dunno 'bout peeling 'em...not tried it shrugsmiley.gif I believe the stemskin has the cannabinoids in it also... muA

#214 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

I don't use a processor now...I just break 'em by hand if dry or snip with secatures of not so dry...same with roots...no blending...just tear 'em up if dry, snip 'em up if fresh muA
  • bongbonghi, HD96 and fiona like this

#215 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'll try your method, it will save me another processor hehehe... i thought it had do be finely chopped before use... Thank you! FS
  • bongbonghi, HD96, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#216 Inee

Inee

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationOn the edge.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I made a small batch of root balm using only a few roots and twigs in a small amount of coconut oil. Did smash the roots and put it all in the slow cooker for around 15 hrs at which point, I strained and returned the roots to the pot with just added water to cook for another 2 hrs after the temperature had risen again. Not perfect but am getting good results from the balm and I am greatly looking forward to making some of higher concentration.
  • fiona and athena like this

#217 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

:woohoo: :D hehehe muA
  • fiona likes this

#218 athena

athena

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

I made a small batch of root balm using only a few roots and twigs in a small amount of coconut oil. Did smash the roots and put it all in the slow cooker for around 15 hrs at which point, I strained and returned the roots to the pot with just added water to cook for another 2 hrs after the temperature had risen again. Not perfect but am getting good results from the balm and I am greatly looking forward to making some of higher concentration.

I can't wait to try that - even a small batch like you did would be a great start! How did it work?
  • fiona likes this

#219 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

I've never really run experiments to determine an effective ratio of roots to oil....I would suggest perhaps starting with 1/2 to a full cup of roots and 125ml/1/4 cup of oil...this same subject came up in ch@ recently.... thinking.gif I really must do some experimentation...

hmmm thinking.gif
muA

#220 Inee

Inee

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationOn the edge.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

I can't wait to try that - even a small batch like you did would be a great start! How did it work?

- it actually worked pretty well but the effect didn't last very long - only used less than 3/4 of a cup of coconut oil that i had available at the time - will be collecting more and making a batch with a whole container of coconut oil (14 or 15 ozs) and hope to keep better track of the amount of roots to oil - just waiting on the roots
  • Blue61, fiona and athena like this

#221 athena

athena

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

- it actually worked pretty well but the effect didn't last very long - only used less than 3/4 of a cup of coconut oil that i had available at the time - will be collecting more and making a batch with a whole container of coconut oil (14 or 15 ozs) and hope to keep better track of the amount of roots to oil - just waiting on the roots

Thanks, ineeda~ Are you growing the roots yourself, or are you getting some donated? I've been wondering if most growers just throw them away?
  • Blue61, fiona and FreeSpirit like this

#222 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

The did before they tried or heard of rootbalm on this site...when I first posted a rootbalm thread I was seeing comments like 'oh damn!....I just tossed X# of em' or 'oh!....just spent X-amount of time tearing em up and spreading em through garden/forest' :lol: now.....even when commiserating over a male plant, we can say '@ least you got the roots and carcass to make balm from' :D hehehe There is a commercial product containing hemp root called hempease....is available over the counter....might be worth checking out if you have a need, eh? muA
  • fiona and athena like this

#223 athena

athena

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

The did before they tried or heard of rootbalm on this site...when I first posted a rootbalm thread I was seeing comments like 'oh damn!....I just tossed X# of em' or 'oh!....just spent X-amount of time tearing em up and spreading em through garden/forest' :lol: now.....even when commiserating over a male plant, we can say '@ least you got the roots and carcass to make balm from' :D hehehe

There is a commercial product containing hemp root called hempease....is available over the counter....might be worth checking out if you have a need, eh?

muA

Thanks, Medi~ Yeah, I have two Hemp-Eaze products - the therapy cream and the root & honey. I think they are fine products, but I have a feeling that the root balm you make yourself might be more powerful. Someone here said it was like no pain-reliever he had ever tried,or something like that - that made me so curious to try it. Now, someone else here is experimenting on herself and eating it, with no ill effects, so far. That is really exciting, as it is a way to get just the CBDs, and with a material that is often discarded.
  • fiona likes this

#224 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

cannabis roots contain no cbd's athena....those are in leaf and stem of the plant....roots active components are alkaloids... the cannabis root has been used for thousands of years on broken bones and wounds :D heheh muA
  • Blue61 and fiona like this

#225 athena

athena

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

cannabis roots contain no cbd's athena....those are in leaf and stem of the plant....roots active components are alkaloids... the cannabis root has been used for thousands of years on broken bones and wounds :D heheh

muA

Oh, shoot! Thanks, mediA. Guess the balm is just for doing the balm thing. :-D
  • Blue61 and fiona like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users