270 replies to this topic

#76 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

Have been doing some reading...and found mention th@ some alkaloids are water soluble.

This gets me thinking...Many of the old poultice-like recipes using cannabis root use it mashed, boiled and evaporated down to a concentrate...

I know the extraction into oil helps...I have the balm on my hands as I type...and my shi-tzu loves her weekly rubdown now...but if the extraction can be made into an H2O based application, it could be simply rubbed onto the skin.

...and if the roots could be ground fine enough to be made into a paste concentrate, it could be stored in the fridge like minced garlic!

muA

Has anyone put any thought into ways to harvest and clean cannabis roots from soils and mediums?

Even turning over the soil of an outside grow will turn up some root matter th@ can be harvested.

Perhaps digging a set depth and diameter around the now harvested and cut down plant, and putting the soil either through a sieve...{those really old nasty mesh bed frames}...or placing in water to wash the soil off the roots.

Edited by medi-useA, 06 June 2010 - 01:03 PM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, Suzycrmcheese and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#77 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

Bump :laughleaf:  muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi and Blue61 like this

#78 SCROGMcDuck

SCROGMcDuck

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Let me say thank you to you, medi-usea... I used olive oil, 18 hrs in crock pot... just threw the roots in.. w the oil/water.. In the frige, after freezing, (no wax)...the oil turns honey consitancy... When used, there is no percevable smell and it is mostly absorbed w no residue.. No pain in my shoulders or elbows.. first time in years.. Have been (still am) a magnet user.. positive side up.. I do not use them much any more... Third week of oil use... incredible.. Just started another batch, today, that came from a Hawiian Snow girl.. I'm going the same route but let them 'simmer' for 24>30+ hours..
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Suzycrmcheese and 2 others like this

#79 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

Let me say thank you to you, medi-usea...

I used olive oil, 18 hrs in crock pot... just threw the roots in.. w the oil/water..
In the frige, after freezing, (no wax)...the oil turns honey consitancy...
When used, there is no percevable smell and it is mostly absorbed w no residue..

No pain in my shoulders or elbows.. first time in years..

Have been (still am) a magnet user.. positive side up.. I do not use them much any more...
Third week of oil use... incredible..

Just started another batch, today, that came from a Hawiian Snow girl..
I'm going the same route but let them 'simmer' for 24>30+ hours..

Please post whatever processes you find works well for you. You never know who you might be helping with this.

It is all part of paying it forward.

Peace
  • bongbonghi, Suzycrmcheese, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#80 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

I'm absolutely pumped to hear this ScrogMcDuck!....soothes my paranoia th@ it was just me! lol A brief synopsis on how you did it would be most welcome... Smell free means it will pass as a massage oil, so it'll be safer to take out and about for immediate use when needed. Got the local vet interested in it I think...I just say it's a secret recipe...stanandollie.gif lol Please let us know if you get different results from diff strains...mine was made from haze and skunkmix roots. I would also be most interested in hearing if anyone makes this out of HEMP roots or even DitchWeed roots... muA
  • bongbonghi, Suzycrmcheese and Blue61 like this

#81 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

Medicine Maker/Healer/Derelect

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

I had always wondered if you could use the roots as a poultice as you can with other roots. Thanks for starting this thread. I just pitched a 3 gallon rootball over the edge of the canyon. I will have many more and plan to try this for myself. Maybe this will help my back pain? TSR
  • bongbonghi, Suzycrmcheese and Blue61 like this

#82 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

You can bet it would!...I'm still waiting to get more roots...fresh ones, to try to make a paste out of it...but when an oil is heated with roots steeped in them...it is brilliant @ getting to painful area's deep within the tissue and ligament and even bone!... Stoned Ranger...this was as much an eye opener for me when I made it as the first time I smoked!...You don't get a body stone OR a head high from this...but HECK...you sure do get some physical relief!... I also intend to try some water extraction of the roots to then evaporate and make into effervescent 'Bath Bombs' to test the viability of using them this way also. The intention being, if small  coin sized effervescent 'tablets' can be made, then they can be taken with you on ya travels...get an ache?...then drop one in a bottle of water, wait for the fizzy reaction to take place and then wet a cloth with the 'rootwater' and rub the area in question....or simply pour it on! I will post my results on this particular experiment when I have them...but as a simple massage oil or balm, this stuff ROCKS! A note on usage...I do not use it on just the area in question, but all around the area also...I rub it on an entire limb to get just one part of it...IE: my elbow hurts, I rub it from wrist to shoulder...much more effective. Throwing in stems and sunleaves only makes it better...So now the WHOLE plant has some use to all growers...buds, leaves, stems and roots...and now, even unwanted males can serve a purpose. The roots can also be dried and put away until you have enough of them for your purposes... Hempseed oil is said to be a great oil to massage into sore area's...so if you could infuse hempseed oil with the root alkaloids you might get an even more beneficial effect..I am yet to try it...so if you do have access to Hempseed oil and try it...please post ya results. Believe me...once you try this you will NOT want to do without it ever again! Infusing it into caster oil would be even more effective, as caster oil absorbs into the body from external application REALLY well. muA
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, GoophyPhucker and 4 others like this

#83 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

Medicine Maker/Healer/Derelect

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

[quote name='medi-useA' date='08 August 2010 - 06:40 AM' timestamp='1281264009' post='304458']
You can bet it would!...I'm still waiting to get more roots...fresh ones, to try to make a paste out of it...but when an oil is heated with roots steeped in them...it is brilliant @ getting to painful area's deep within the tissue and ligament and even bone!...

Stoned Ranger...this was as much an eye opener for me when I made it as the first time I smoked!...You don't get a body stone OR a head high from this...but HECK...you sure do get some physical relief!...

I have always wondered if you added this to another natural pain relief topical like EMU oil, which absorbs deeply on its own, would make it even better. I usually toss my unwanted matter but all of it is wanted now. I have more than I can handle right now.
I suffer from SEVERE degenerative disc disease and the opiate I take for the pain are almost useless and I am at max dosage so the VA will go no further. It would be so amazing if I can at least lower the level of pain I must live at. To beat that I fell and broke a coup[le of ribs and that hurts a lot too.
Thanx
TSR

Edited by Stoned Ranger, 08 August 2010 - 02:08 PM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 2 others like this

#84 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

TSR...I have added this to both EMU oil AND Goanna oil...it works with both of them very well...Have a go...you won't be disappointed... muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Suzycrmcheese and 1 other like this

#85 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

B....Emu oil is one oil that is wonderfully absorbed by the system and is one that is at the top of my list to try for topicals such as this. Do it....you have nothing to lose and I know this works. Peace
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, Suzycrmcheese and 1 other like this

#86 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Ya know...I always thought EMU oil was something so very typically Australian...to hear it is available elsewhere is heartening. Just a word of caution though...people with thin skin, burn damage, skin grafts or sensitivities should TEST on a small area to see i they get a reaction first...and some advice....do not go into direct harsh sunlight just after applying it...it can accentuate sunburning of the skin. And for heavens sake!...Wash your hands with dish liquid after applying it BEFORE going to the loo or touching your face...and if you forget to...spread a little cooking oil over the area to stop air getting to it to reach and cause the burning feeling...THEN wash off with dish liquid :rolleyes:...practical experience talking here folks....OUCH! muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 4 others like this

#87 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

I am making another batch of root oil...I have been saving soil roots and washing them...I also bought some coconut oil to use instead of canola this time.

Full of short and medium chain triglycerides th@ will absorb easily into the skin with little oily residue.

I got a pair of scissors and shaved/trimmed the roots and then cut them up some more before I put them into the oil.

The roots to oil ratio is roughly 1 to 1...and then I also add water to double the volume and keep it topped up as I keep it on the heat.

I have an old 1970's pyrex hardened glass stovetop coffee percolator Posted Image...the stempiece for the thing broke....but the pot is great for BHO or to heat oil in....even has the original lid! :)

If you're making root oil or canna oil on a stovetop, I recommend this if you can get one...I've found it very useful.

Here are the roots I used and the oil also...

Attached File  IMG_2843.jpg   128.88KB   67 downloads Attached File  IMG_2844.jpg   150.97KB   61 downloads

I am going to be keeping it on low for the next several days...turning off when I sleep.

Gonna see how long I can heat it for...

It has a very cooked mushrooms like smell to it..not unpleasant or strong or lingering...more noticeable now with the scentless coconut oil and soil grown roots...on previous occasions I have used canola oil which has a light to medium scent to it, and hydro roots, so the cooked mushroom smell was almost nonexistent for those batches...I believe the soil grown roots and scentless coconut oil is contributing to this smell.

If anyone doing this notices this also...or not, please comment and let me know...I have ms, and sometimes I smell things th@ are not there...cannot really explain it...though I'm told it has similar analogues with Synesthesia :D: hehehe..wh@ ever! :) ...I SMELL COOKED MUSHROOMS! Muhahahahaha**ICK!** hehehehe 

I will post a lot more pics soon of this process.

muA

#88 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO... go Medi.... you gonna love the coconut oil :D:
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 3 others like this

#89 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

So sometimes information on what doesn't work, is as valuable as what does. I saved enough root to fill a gallon jar after pressure washing and drying them, as well as running them through a hammer mill. I then did a denatured alcohol extraction and cooked down the solution. Imagine my suprise and chagrin when I ended up with less than a quarter dram of extract from a gallon of roots. It would appear that the good stuff in the roots is indeed the alkaloids, as opposed to the oil.

Edited by Graywolf, 27 September 2010 - 09:44 PM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, Desert Woman and 5 others like this

#90 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for th@ GW...knowing wh@ path NOT to go down is quite often as important as knowing which one To travel. I found vibration of dry roots a great way to remove fine soil particles...but not when the roots are absolutely bone dry...if they are too dry they fall apart...gotta judge the moisture and shake it @ the right time and the rubbish falls from the roots. I even think if I can get another stem for this coffee percolator, it would be ideal for this....fill the coffee receptacle with root matter and the pot with coconut oil and water. The percolating action of the coffee pot will infuse the oil yet keep the roots OUT of the oil. The bottom of the pot seems to be constructed in such a way as to make bubbles form on the bottom and work to the top...this I believe will mix and infuse th oil @ a lower temp than the roiling boil I had with the canola oil extraction. GW...have you thought of roots and water in a pressure cooker?...I seem to remember reading alkaloids are WATER SOLUBLE and if so, heating in a pressure cooker with water might infuse the water with the alkaloids...then it is a matter of evaporating off the water to see if the alkaloids are left as a residue. IF they are...then further effort could be put into mixing the residue with other ingredients to make a fizzy bath bomb...or a fizzy tab to put in water to wipe affected area's. OR one could simply mix the residue with coconut oil to one's preferred strength... muA

#91 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

Update!...I heated the roots water and coconut oil 36 hrs...now I have poured it out, cooled and separated it from the water...

This is the first recovery Attached File  IMG_2848.jpg   55.22KB   61 downloads

I then filled the pot with water and bought it to the boil and simmered a few hrs, then poured it into a ceramic bowl to cool. it solidified but was full of sediment so I put it in the pot again with water..simmered an hour and decanted once again into the ceramic bowl...left it 'til it was cool enough to dip ya fingers- sediment was throughout the oil layer...THEN I decanted it into a tall narrow container and placed in the fridge...when I came back I got this...Attached File  IMG_2846.jpg   47.74KB   68 downloads Attached File  IMG_2845.jpg   60.81KB   56 downloads the blobs of oil on the sides of the container are clear and pure...

The funny marks in the top layer, are I think, where sediment was drawn downwards into the water as the oil/water cooled. gonna hafta goggle or wikki it...see if it is.

Anyway...have used it...it works...though I am considering putting it in the pot of roots and simmering a few more days....it's just nice to know there IS a clarification process heheheh

oh...the pot of roots?...here :)

heheheh

Attached File  IMG_2849.jpg   109.22KB   50 downloads Attached File  IMG_2852.jpg   80.49KB   48 downloads Attached File  IMG_2850.jpg   149.95KB   49 downloads Attached File  IMG_2851.jpg   103.52KB   41 downloads

muA

#92 Granny

Granny

Tincture Queen!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Oregon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

Clinton has told me of this so thank you for the recipe this is great reading, so now on to the kitchen to cook. lol

#93 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

Granny...hope it does well by ya.... :) muA

#94 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

Medi...can you not just put the warm oil through a sieve or piece of cheese cloth like fabric to filter out the solids? I have a piece of sheer drape fabric I have been using for years. I know this will get the solids out at least, then separating it will be made far easier. Peace
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, Suzycrmcheese and 2 others like this

#95 Granny

Granny

Tincture Queen!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Oregon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

I use a piece of silk screen for straining and it works well. I'm not sure of the microns it is as it was given to me.

#96 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hehehehe highfivegif tried it...this stuff is super fine...I have the feeling it is soil particles...it is ultra fine...however...a few  cycles of heating and cooling the oil/water got most of it to drop into the water from the oil...I think it has something to do with cooling it in the fridge...but after 3rd time was only a fine layer on the very bottom of the oil puck...the rest is pure white.

I got rid of it by running hot tapwater over the FROZEN oil puck...for about a second...perhaps 2...then it was clear and I lost practically no oil. I do believe if it was just room temp the puck might have dissolved under the water stream. So if you try this...remember..FROZEN!

I am boiling the roots with tapwater to reclaim all the oil I can...and so far I've gotten 2 pucks of oil out of the roots...and a third lot is cooling in the fridge....and I'm gonna keep doing this until I get no more oil on the surface of the water....keep ya updated on how many times it takes...

I also have roots from my first batches of rootbalm in the deepfreeze...awaiting purchase of a blender...then I'm gonna make it all {including the current roots th@ I will also store in the freezer} into a pasty mass and boil with coconut oil and see wh@ I get.

Post pics of the pucks when I'm done :banana:

muA

#97 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

Awesome sweetie....Posted Image
  • bongbonghi, Itinkso, Suzycrmcheese and 2 others like this

#98 420UG

420UG

Pollen Chucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

Great Post!
  • jangel, bongbonghi, Desert Woman and 4 others like this

#99 Desert Woman

Desert Woman

Medicine Woman~Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5908 posts
  • Location760 Cali High Desert

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Great Post!

I agree. Hi BV. Good to see you hear. I have several patients that swear by this balm. It is especially popular around here during trimming season! lol!

Introducing Lavender Canna Balm.

This was made using medi-use-A's canna root balm. With some lavender for fragrance. Here is the link to the original post so you can make this yourself.

Balm from canna roots

Happy healing to you all!

Here is the method

Oil/Balm
  • Put a bunch of plant material into a crock pot with some canola oil and water. put more canola oil in next time, cuz i only got a little! lol!
  • Drain off liquid and replace with new plant material as needed
  • Freeze mixture. pour oil off top of frozen water into a bowl.
  • Simmer water in cast iron fry pan.
  • Put bowl in simmering water.
  • Mix melted wax into oil.
  • Pour into little jar.

Very simple. I just melted it down and added a little petroleum jelly and Lavender oil to the mix, then poured into the containers. easy peasy! I will get better carrier oils, wax and other ingredients as i have more resources, but this was a good start using just what I was able to find around the house!

Attached Files

#100 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

Big V! :) Ya gotta try this is ya have hydo-roots or soil-rootballs, man...with coconut oil!...My new batch is I estimate half the strength of my prev 2 batches...but just as effective since I now use the coconut oil instead of canola as I did my first 2. The short and medium chain triglycerides absorb so well into the skin....so getting the MOST from the roots you have... I have NO IDEA of the saturation point of the root alkaloids and other goodies in oil...yet to find out :lol: Muhahahahaha....'nother experiment in tha works! DW.. :lol: SOOooo glad to hear others are benefiting...and FOR TRIMMING SEASON to boot! :lol: muhahahahah!... Word gets out you supply rootbalm for trimmers...ya might have more hands up volunteering than ya need for once! I'm looking forward to chopping and drying rootmatter for storage to make balm as needed. muA
  • bongbonghi, Desert Woman, Suzycrmcheese and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users