270 replies to this topic

#251 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Will the balm not be good if the roots are not grinded? Half i grinded but me blender broke and shredded the rest by hand... I already took the pulp out...squezed the juice out and have it cooking again in water... FS
  • teddys head and fiona like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#252 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

it'll be fine!....I aint EVER ground me roots.... muhahaha...rough chop and simmer....I am simply suggesting other methods :D muA
  • teddys head and fiona like this

#253 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

My balm is complete! :) and is much stronger then my first one! it works faster and its effect lasts longer! FS
  • teddys head, PoeticLife, HD96 and 1 other like this

#254 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

wonderful FS! :woohoo: muA
  • teddys head, HD96 and fiona like this

#255 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Update...over due. I got very low on NN a few weeks ago, so I alternated my dose with root balm. Same effect as before. Warming relaxation over my body. Still no ill effects from ingesting it. Medi, I want to thank you for all you've done to help me get this far in a crazy, twisted recovery. I use the root balm topically all the time, and whatever is in that part of the plant, is just a magical as the rest.
  • teddys head, PoeticLife and HD96 like this

#256 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

ta desi....means much to me to hear this :passit: ....so very glad ya get some relief! muA
  • Desiderata, teddys head and HD96 like this

#257 Inee

Inee

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationOn the edge.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

ta desi....means much to me to hear this :passit: ....so very glad ya get some relief!
muA

Me too Medi! This root stuff is the best - hard to keep it though since quite a few of my friends are also finding relief with it. No part of this herb needs be wasted. Its all blessed.
  • Desiderata, teddys head and HD96 like this

#258 MrPlow

MrPlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:12 AM

Do you use hydro roots only or from soil as well? If from soil, how do you clean the roots? I use the garden hose to remove the soil, but there is still some left, pieces of coco n stuff.... what to do?
  • teddys head likes this

#259 CannaQueen

CannaQueen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

This is not only my first response, but also first post! I have been using the roots for a couple of years, not only in a topical balm/salve application, but also in teas. I have also experimented with the stems. I am a HUGE advocate of using the whole plant. I use the stems to make soaks for the bath, and also in salves for minor cuts and scrapes. The roots are the hidden secret of the tree of life. I have also made sugar scrubs and bath soaks from the roots, but I can attest, the potency is overwhelming, so I switched my formulation to using the stems, and now i primarily use my roots to make teas. I use my Sativa roots in a daytime tea, and my Indica roots in a night time version. I must say, they do relieve LOTS of inflammation and for me, it felt like it lubricated my painful joints. And as far as sleep goes, they are the ultimate sleep medication, and lord knows i have tried umpteen pharmaceutical versions, and nothing compares. Great post and GREAT use of the whole plant!!
  • teddys head likes this

#260 CannaQueen

CannaQueen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Do you use hydro roots only or from soil as well? If from soil, how do you clean the roots? I use the garden hose to remove the soil, but there is still some left, pieces of coco n stuff.... what to do?

If you can get a pressure washer it will save you lots of time, but, there really isn't any need for that investment unless you have LOTS to process. I use my hose and nozzle to "high pressure" clean my roots. I then dry them. When I am going to use my roots, I cut the amount I will need from the root ball and then soak them in a bucket (cup, bowl, pan) of water and rigorously swish the roots in the water. After a few changes of the water, most if not all, of the remaining dirt/compost is cleaned off. For internal use, I make a decoction of the roots, and the final step includes removing all roots from the water and bringing the liquid up to boil for 60-90 seconds, but not a second longer. Good Luck and Happy Medicating!!
  • teddys head likes this

#261 Ollymays

Ollymays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi! i'm trying to do some troubleshooting. My salve doesn't seem to be doing very much for my arthritis/Lupus. I'm wondering if I did something wrong; is it key that the roots be chopped up finely? I used 6 roots, coconut oil, and then beeswax. I ordered avocado oil, and emu oil for my next batch, thinking that perhaps it needs to penetrate more deeply to be effective (on me). I'm also wondering if this is the kind of treatment that builds up with use (it's been about one week)?
  • teddys head likes this

#262 JuanHunose

JuanHunose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hi! i'm trying to do some troubleshooting. My salve doesn't seem to be doing very much for my arthritis/Lupus. I'm wondering if I did something wrong; is it key that the roots be chopped up finely? I used 6 roots, coconut oil, and then beeswax.
I ordered avocado oil, and emu oil for my next batch, thinking that perhaps it needs to penetrate more deeply to be effective (on me).
I'm also wondering if this is the kind of treatment that builds up with use (it's been about one week)?

Try this:
http://oldtimemeds.b...opical-oil.html

I've been using it for awile now and it always works right away on my arthritis.
  • teddys head and Ollymays like this

#263 krush

krush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationso. ontario

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm not noob, especially - bin makin RSO for 2 years, vaporizing and edibles, but ROOTBALM is a new one for me, so I gots a Q for all y'all! I understand that hemp detoxifies soil, encapsulating the toxins in it's roots - what happens to these toxins when one processes the root balls? Does anyone know for sure that this is safe, or is one simply to hope so? Peace Light Love Truth i am a dave
  • teddys head likes this

#264 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well if you are growing hemp to detoxify the soil then i would not use those roots. However i do not grow my cannabis in toxic soil and do not believe there is anything in my roots that would be detrimental to health. And roots from Hydro grow are the cleanest ones to work with IMHO.
  • teddys head likes this

#265 MrPlow

MrPlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

I find coconut-only oil quite messy to use because its so runny as soon as its applied to the skin... will bee wax help, or will it just make it more sticky?

#266 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Yes the bee's wax will improve the melts on contact problem. In the baches i have made it does not seem to make it waxy at all just solidifies it a bit more to make it stable at room temp.

• PoeticLife likes this

#267 MrPlow

MrPlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

How much wax should I use? Something like 10%, or?

• PoeticLife likes this

#268 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

For the 32 oz of coconut oil i used a chunk about the size of my thumb tip joint or about 1 1/2 inch square piece of bee's wax for the batch. i would not think that would come to 10%

• PoeticLife likes this

#269 MrPlow

MrPlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

I only used 1 dl oil (for one small rootball), about 1/9 of 32 oz.... I have to use so little wax I might as well just skip it.. :D

Maybe something like the size of the eraser on the top of a pencil? :P

edit: with some calculation that should be a wax piece of 0.4 x 0.4 inches... not far away from the eraser.. hehe

Edited by MrPlow, 04 March 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#270 MrPlow

MrPlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

The coconut oil came out as white as it went in, but the water is brown as dirt.... doesn't look right... ?

#271 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

It's been a long time since I made balm from JUST roots but if I remember correctly that sounds right.   The roots really have no color in them and the brown in the water is probably just from the small particles of soil that was left on them.  

If you really want a stronger balm... add some big fans/trim stems and even popcorn bud to it when you start cooking it.   This seems to make it much better.    For an arthritis rub I also add quite a bit of cassia essential oil to it.   This makes it more warming in nature and is what is used in many otc arthritis rubs.   Just be careful... you don't want to rub your eyes or any other ummm sensitive parts when you have that on your hands LOL!   Been there.. done that and not comfy at all!  There are also many other essential oils you can add to it for arthritis pain... just do a little research/google search and you can find them.  

This balm also works wonders for cuts and wounds.... but for that I would leave out the cassia.... has a tendency to burn a bit.   You can just add a bit of lavender or whatever for a wonderfully pleasant smell too.   Tea tree oil is a good one to add in for the wound balm too.   Has many healing properties of it's own.  

Hope this helps.

Hugs!

• Blue61 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)