#226 Inee

Inee

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationOn the edge.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thanks, ineeda~ Are you growing the roots yourself, or are you getting some donated? I've been wondering if most growers just throw them away?

this next batch donated from a medical user who grows a couple at a time - i want to really pack it in so not sure if there will be enough from a single donation since I don't know what will be left over. most folks i have met who grow something usually compost the 'reamains' so have no problem with donating material.
  • Blue61 and fiona like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#227 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

getting the stump is helpful...one takes a hammer to it when it's half cooked then puts it back in :D muhahhaaa muA

#228 odanfre

odanfre

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hello medi! I just put my batch of oil in the freezer, I applied some of it warm onto my knees and wow.... it was so relieving, lately my knees have been hurting and that's also one of the reasons why I wanted to make root balm :D used 1.5 cups of root mass + some stems and leaves, and 1 cup of oil like you said (almost u said 75% of a cup xD)

#229 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

:woohoo: ...great to hear odan! muA

#230 HD96

HD96

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi everyone, I made a batch of Medi's balm and wow it's fantastic! I have neuropathic pain in my feet and not

much helps besides morphine. Been using the balm 2 times a day and I actualy went shopping pain free!

Any way I thought I would share a few pics. I used the roots from 3 soil grown plants Attached File  roots (Small).JPG   103.36KB   9 downloads and a jar of oil..Attached File  cocoilabel (Small).JPG   37.92KB   7 downloads

What is Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil?
Tropical Traditions Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil is a high quality refined coconut oil. This oil is processed the “old” way by what is called “physical refining.” The modern way of processing coconut oil is by chemical extraction, using solvent extracts, which produces higher yields and is quicker and less expensive. Tropical Traditions Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil DOES NOT use solvent extracts. It is made the “old” way by expeller-pressed mechanical extraction. This oil is also NOT hydrogenated, and contains NO trans fatty acids. It is a very good quality food-grade coconut oil.
Tropical Traditions Organic Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil is made from certified organic coconuts that have NOT been treated with chemicals or fertilizers. It is certified organic according to European and USDA standards. Our Organic Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil is high in the medium chain fatty acids, such as Lauric acid. Organic Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil is less expensive than Virgin Coconut Oil, and because it goes through a steam deodorizing process the taste is very bland, unlike Virgin Coconut Oil which retains the odor and taste of fresh coconuts. Some people prefer a bland, tasteless oil. This coconut oil is solid below 76 degrees F. and liquid above that.

Sounded good to me, and it was buy one get one! I'll be back in a few, trick or treat time lol..
  • fiona and FreeSpirit like this

#231 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

I also made some of Medi's root balm and took some pics Attached File  DSCN5137.JPG   204.64KB   15 downloads i add whole male plants to my recipe Attached File  DSCN5138.JPG   129.29KB   16 downloads roots of course Attached File  DSCN5139.JPG   233.26KB   14 downloads put in the pot Attached File  DSCN5140.JPG   123.02KB   12 downloads coconut oil Attached File  DSCN5141.JPG   138.31KB   9 downloads ready to add water and cook overnight i will add some pic's of the final product tomorrow
  • FreeSpirit likes this

#232 odanfre

odanfre

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hello medi! because I added so much stuff to my balm (mint extract, vitamin E and aloe vera), I needed to add about 30 grams of bee's wax for my concoction to stay solid at room temp, but I finally got it to my desired viscosity! :D, and let me tell you... wow, I really enjoy the balm and so far it has proven to be a great pain reliever and it has also helped me with bites and itches. BTW you said it works well for healing wounds and burns, but should I apply it ON the wound, or around it? so far I have tried both ways but I find it to be more relieving when I apply it to the surrounding area rather than on the injury :)
  • HD96 likes this

#233 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

:woohoo: ...HD96, so glad it helps ya.... Paw....looking forward to hearing your verdict on how it helps ya... :toking: Odanfre....yah, adding extra's to it will mean it needs to be thickened some....I use directly on burns as well as around em....however, mint oil might not be the best additive to add to a burn balm, ya know? muA
  • HD96 likes this

#234 HD96

HD96

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Ok I made it back, anyway I cooked the roots 24 hrs. at least, did the strain, reboil,and put both batches together and cooled Attached File  oilpitcher (Small).JPG   51.58KB   0 downloads Then warmed it once more to add a tbs.of
beeswax Attached File  beeswax (Small).JPG   76.43KB   2 downloads poured it in a bowl to cool. At this point I took my mixer
and whipped air into the balm. Attached File  mixer (Small).JPG   57.62KB   7 downloads And there ya go, The finished balm is a nice creamy texture that melts on contact. Attached File  doneinjar (Small).JPG   56.68KB   7 downloads I love it!!!

Thanks Medi, :toking:
  • FreeSpirit likes this

#235 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Currently cooking up some root oil. I cooked the roots in my crock pot for the past 48 hrs...should have added oil sooner maybe. Added 2 cups oil to a full crock pot of water/roots. The roots took up about half of the crock pot when first filled it. Not sure how many cups of water the crock holds, its a normal/large oval crock pot. The roots were about a week old, kept in fridge (outdoor organic soil grow) I am wondering if those of you more experienced could tell me if this is enough oil? Should I blend the cooked roots/oil/water and continue to cook? How much longer should I cook if blended? If you don't recommend blending, how long should I continue to cook after adding oil? I want to use this on my horse, he has been off and on lame for a couple of months. Not sure exactly what is wrong. Could be a deep abscess or possibly laminitis (although I am unsure about this considering he doesn't have very warm feet, pulses or other symptoms) I will also be using this on sore joints for my husband and myself and some other issues, including a friend with MS and Restless Leg. Thanks! MM
  • HD96 and FreeSpirit like this

#236 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

sounds like ya got a good mix there MM....give it a try whilst still warm but cool enough to put on... the 2 horses and 1 pony I have tried rootbalm on recovered from their wounds well....nick from barbed wire, saddlesores and stone damage to the hoof...dunno about an abscess though....am hopeful :D muA
  • HD96 likes this

#237 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

This is also effective on old arthritic dogs...if ya know of one...try it on em...you and the owner will be astounded by the change methinks :D hehehhe muA

Hey Medi! I want to use my balm (no beeswax, just coconut oil) on my horses lower leg/hoof. He's been lame off and on for a couple of months, no money for the vet (who is terrible anyway)
Do you think the best way to apply would be to warm the oil to liquid, massage into hair/skin then maybe wrap it with vet wrap and perhaps a gauze (maybe soaked in oil or liquid from cooking?)
I need get him off the drugs for pain (Bute, it can cause ulcers etc)

Thanks!

MM
  • HD96 likes this

#238 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

sounds like ya got a good mix there MM....give it a try whilst still warm but cool enough to put on...

the 2 horses and 1 pony I have tried rootbalm on recovered from their wounds well....nick from barbed wire, saddlesores and stone damage to the hoof...dunno about an abscess though....am hopeful :D

muA

I didn't see your horse reply until just after I wrote my last post...sorry about that. I actually think this lameness might be a result of a stone bruise, but now it is perhaps a sub-solar abscess...hopefully nothing worse. He is probably Insulin Resistant so it wouldn't shock me if he was showing some signs of laminitis. But I think a deep stone bruise/abcess is more likely give he had a similar lameness on the opposite side a few months ago right after a trim (he is barefoot and trimmed every 5-6 weeks)

Do you think a balm with the addition of fan leaves from a female plant or perhaps some stems too would be best for a stone bruise/abcess sort of lameness? Wondering if the addition of CBN and a little THC would be helpful. Maybe I can cook up another batch...

Thanks so much!

MM

#239 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

leaves and stem will contribute cannabinoids which do have healing properties....applecider vinegar as a topical in humans will bring out bruising faster....cannot see why it would not work with horses... but check anyway, eh? male or female plant can be used... applying the oil warm will be a good method...unsure about the wrapping but if it's a common part of treatment for horses, go with it I suggest. ya can add water oil and leaf/stem to the slowcooker and simmer it...th@ should work to infuse it.. a poultice is common in horse treatments is it not? one can use the heated root and plant pulp after making the balm and use it as a poultice whilst still warm... muA
  • HD96 likes this

#240 MedicineMuse

MedicineMuse

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I think I might smash or blend the root pulp after cooking it one more time and use as a poultice, great idea! I will be applying the oil to his leg/foot tomorrow and skipping or lowering his Bute (NSAID type drug) Maybe on my second cook I will add some stem and leaves and include that in poultice as well. By the way, I have been using some cannabis oil I made on my dog...he has a tumor like growth near his anus...it is less inflamed and appears to have shrunk by about 1/3 in the month I've been using it! Tempted to give it to him internally...but don't want to get him high as a kite. Might make a batch of fan leaf oil for him. Thanks for the tips! MM
  • HD96 likes this

#241 GreenWeaver

GreenWeaver

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hello Friends, Cannabis root did not kill me; I used the entire plant for my coconut butter, make sure roots are cleaned thoroughly until white then submerge into hydrogen peroxide over night. Chop the entire plant fine as you can put in crock pot including the finely chopped roots, add organic extra-virgin coconut oil aprox. 1 gallon when melted add 3 cups water. Simmer at LOW overnight. Put in fridge when harden separate nasty water from butter.

#242 GreenWeaver

GreenWeaver

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

sorry I skipped a step. Let coconut oil cool down until it's managely hot, use clean white cotton shirt and a sturdy tong to strain the oil into container and put container in fridge. I used Sour Tsunami a high CBD strain plant. Final product tested on my wife with degenerative disc and constant pain spasms. She said "it's the best topical and eatable pain killer I've ever made, It works!!!". It's the only pain medicine I've ever made just to make me feel good.
  • Luc and painretreat like this

#243 GreenWeaver

GreenWeaver

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hey Medicine Man, Where did you get your mill, to shred your tree with? This site is sure useful.

#244 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

:woohoo: greenweaver! ....glad to hear ya wife got some relief using this... :toking: muA

#245 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

G'day!
I am preparing another batch of root balm today! i used the root mass of five plants this time... i melted two blenders in my attempt to grind the material...so i shredded what was left by hand...it has been cooking for 14 hours and will leave on for a total of 20 hours because of the quantity of root i added...its should turn out to be quite potent!

FS

Edited by FreeSpirit, 07 November 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#246 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

try to get an old bench mounted hand cranked meat grinder/mincer....making a pulp or rootmash might be a better way to go perhaps, eh?
Posted Image
http://www.thefind.c...t-grinder-table
muA

#247 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Will try find one for me next batch! my hands are still aching after peeling for so many hours hehe... FS

#248 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

http://www.glenmills...-disc-mill.html http://www.wayfair.c...ND-BUF1075.html muA

#249 FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

Thank you!

#250 mediuseA

mediuseA

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

simmering the roots a few hrs and THEN grinding/chopping/mincing them should help some by softening them muA
  • PoeticLife likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users