270 replies to this topic

#1 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

Note to readers: This was my first root balm explorations thread here on Green Passion...I had posted the info on another site when I was a member there but with little response, the primary interest there was cannabis buds.
When I came here I refined the info and started this thread...since then others have taken this info and run with it, coming up with some wonderful refinements and discoveries.
So, please keep th@ in mind as you read this thread. Much of the information has been refined since this thread began...seek also the other root balm threads on Green Passion for more information and inspiration! :D muhahahaa.

WARNING:I do not recommend consuming canna-root oil!...For external use only!

I do not know the effect th@
alkaloids might have if consumed.
It COULD be dangerous.

UPDATE: One of our GPeeps, Desiderata, has done some research and the amount of alkaloids is negligble compared to the amount needed to cause harm....One would have to eat several pounds of roots to get a dose th@ large.

muA

I've been trying to get the most out of my cannabis plant...I cure and smoke the buds...I make canna-oil from the leaves, stems and popcorn buds {and buds when I can spare them!}...I'm experimenting with rhetting the thicker branches and stems to make my own paper...and th@ left me with the roots.

Last harvest I made some canna balm with leaf stem and popcorn buds...whilst it did help with minor abrasions and burns, it seemed pretty useless when it came to muscles, sinew, bone and ligament.

This harvest I decided to make my balm with the dried rootmass of 1 skunkmix plant and the freshly harvested rootmass of a haze plant.

I tore these up into smallish pieces...Ideally I would have ground them in a blender...but I don't have one! :)...I put the torn up rootmass and 2 cups of oil into a slow cooker with 6 cups of water.
The reason I put 3-1 water-oil is this way I can keep it @ a roiling boil without deepfrying the roots.

I leave the cooker on 12-14 hours, checking it to top up the water as it evaporates {I put the lid on but it still does evaporate} and @ the end I pull the root pulp out and strain the lot through a clean giant sized chux cloth {pre-washed} and put it in the freezer to...freeze B)

The root pulp can be put back into the cooker with some more water to boil a few more hours...do not put more oil in...the purpose of this second 'cook' is to release the remaining oil and alkaloids from the roots.
When done, strain and freeze like the first batch...

Depending on if you squeezed out the root pulp the first batch, you might get up to the same amount of oil from the second batch you 'cook'.

When the water has frozen, pour off the oil from both batches into a pot and heat gently on the stove...dissolve some bee's wax into the oil...a piece half the size of your thumb would be enough to make 2 or more cups of balm...add small pieces and dissolve it into the oil....test it every now and then to see how thick it is.
With a little practice you can get the consistency you want to make it spreadable @room temp.

Scent can be added now if you want it aromatic...or there are other ingredients you can add and experiment with.
My next batch of this balm with also have cinnamon bark, oregano, basil 'cooked' with the roots in oil to, hopefully, make a better balm!
One could also throw in a Brugmansia flower or two to help with spasticity.

Rubbing this balm into my joints is like no pain medicine I've had before.
It doesn't make the pain bearable, nor does it lessen it, it seems to stop it entirely...not numbing it....making it like it was never there!
This is a new experience in pain relief for me.
The spasticity and stiffness I normally experience is lessened to the point of indifference...and I've only been using this a week!

The reason this works so well is the alkaloids in the roots.

If you want to explore this further google cannabis+root+alkaloid+balm and you will have some reading ahead! :) hehehe

If you grow...you have roots...if you have these roots, make the balm....even if YOU don't need it...someone will...a parent/grandparent/loved one...

I am pretty sure powdered roots would get through in the mail....perhaps someone could start a 'rootbank' and send their unwanted roots to those who could use them.

My next area of research is going to be into which strains have the best roots for this balm:)

Hope this helps...anyone who tries this, please chime in!

muA

Edited by mediuseA , 19 April 2012 - 10:04 AM.

• jangel, 4maggio, JointGirl and 28 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5521 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:40 PM

wow! thats defiantely something i want to try.. i have two fingers that can fortell the weather....
  • jangel, FlowerMeds, bongbonghi and 9 others like this

#3 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:44 AM

Gotta be a couple of peeps out there who have some dried rootmasses lying around...give it a go!...a good project for a slow night:) Thanks ileso...hope you enjoy the results! muA
  • jangel, ileso, FlowerMeds and 11 others like this

#4 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

Certified Caregiver Cultivator

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi Medi...Excellent Post. I came across a couple sites, that back up your use of roots, for any skeptics out there. Since we use root herbs in other areas, why not Cannabis?

http://74.125.95.132...us&client=gmail

http://www.jahmyspac...terization-of-/

#5 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

I have used the stalks with very good results. They are high in CBD's and other body healing and helping compounds. I beleive every part of this plant is good for us and this is simply brilliant! I have ground up the stalks, breaking them up, and used alcohol to let them sit in and strip them down. Then I have used a water bath, with a sealer jar containing the stems and stalks, keeping the jar covered. Doing this for hours and hours. adding water as it cooks down. After draining out all the solids I added this to my healing hemp oil mixture and it gives more of a body feeling to it, for pain etc. This is indeed the next step I wanted to explore. Thank you so much for doing this and posting this info. This is brilliant! It will help many!
  • FlowerMeds, bongbonghi, GeeGee and 9 others like this

#6 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

I failed to post any references...so I'll try to fix th@ :fly:

http://books.google....R5&output=embed

http://books.google....68&output=embed

http://books.google....93&output=embed

#4 type in search for 'cannabis root alkaloid'...4 results

Some of these I have no access to, but if some of you do, please post the full texts...this has got me interested:)

jangel...I got a LOT of stalks...I'm gonna break them up and throw them into the 'root-balm' mix...The good thing is you can keep re-boiling it with fresh material to get the strength you want...and powdered roots can be vacuum packed until needed...or mailed to those who DO need it and can make their own!...Think of it...how many big growers have rootmasses {assuming hydro} after each grow? wh@ is done with them? This is a resource th@ is, quite literally, being thrown away!.

Thanks, jangel :)

muA

Edited by mediuseA , 19 April 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#7 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

hey medi....i can't believe i threw 6 giant rootballs away a few weeks ago...i threw them under a bush in the garden.....would they still be ok to retrieve and use do you think...was 2 weeks ago i think!! what a waste!!!
  • jangel, FlowerMeds, bongbonghi and 8 others like this

#8 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Yes, tink, they would still be good! Go get them ! As long as they are not rotting and if they are under a bush, they should be just fine, sweetie. It takes a long time for them to break down. I would try it. Just wash them off and let them dry, then grind them up. Just before I had discovered stocks and stems could be used I dumped a pile of them under branches in our forest. I had spred them out really well, where others where naturally, so hey, I feel your pain! But you have yours all together, as in root balls. so at least try it!
  • FlowerMeds, bongbonghi, GeeGee and 8 others like this

#9 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

righty ho.....makin the call right now!!!...LOL!!!
  • jangel, FlowerMeds, bongbonghi and 5 others like this

#10 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Any stems or branches th@ cannot/will not be used will rhett down to fibre in water...a couple of weeks submerged in a barrel of water and it's mushy pulp..
a description here

Once a hemp crop has matured and been harvested, hemp primary fibers are separated from the hemp stalk through the "retting" process. For "dew retting", the cut stalks are left in the field for several weeks to allow natural humidity and bacteria to decompose the fiber-binding pectins. Other ways to separate the fiber from the core are: water retting, warm water retting and chemical retting. When the retting process is complete, the fibers are readily separated from the core, and processed for specific products.

From here.

Please post your results from the rootball-balm...the more evidence and testimonials we get, the bigger the snowball!

Please be aware. Hot Oil Burns badly, and it burns for a long time!...Do not handle hot oil...it can harm or even kill!

Any suggestions for straining the pulp would be appreciated...it is easier when the oil is warm to get most of it out.
A potato ricer would be helpful if you have one...
A small grape press would be ideal!:)hehehe

muA
  • jangel, 4maggio, FlowerMeds and 8 others like this

#11 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

I used an old piece of net curtain (sheers)....finer than cheese cloth, and it is synthetic I beleive so it does not absorb anything. I use a metal strainer, lined with this cloth, then I just filled a big pot with water and put it on top. Squished it really well too, and as it cooled, I used my hands. By twisting the cloth as it drained, and keeping your hands out of the hot stuff, it will pull more out. For this, you can get curtains like this, either new as sheers or from a re-use stores such as goodwill or sallyanne, or what ever you have. They are dead cheap and I have had this set for ever and reuse again and again. They are kind of green now from pushing herb pulp through but still work well!
  • FlowerMeds, bongbonghi, GeeGee and 9 others like this

#12 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

I also use the potato ricer, with a coffee filter in it...that is the way Dev showed me how to do it...His ways usually work..given that he and I are both somewhat..hahahha...OCD...lol at my 'Somewhat'!!! If you do not have one of those.....you can use the cloth over a collander as well...over a bowl... I have had many a green stain on a bit of rug...I use a product called KaBoom or something like that..it comes right out with a scrub...Sloshing bowls..happen.... I tried using the French Press..I have several due to old fears of coffee pots left on....and it is harder to use...it works..just that the screen is such a fine mesh...it takes longer..
  • jangel, FlowerMeds, bongbonghi and 7 others like this

#13 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

I've found, once I've strained the pulp, if I re boil it with water I get @least another 1/2 cup of oil back...sometimes more.... I've been tossing around the idea of a home made press to remove the most from the pulp. Either a compressed air press or something like a manual grape press. As an experiment I'm going to keep reboiling the rootpulp with oil and making batches of balm to test when I hit diminishing returns. There may be more than one stage to this :) muA
  • jangel, FlowerMeds, bongbonghi and 6 others like this

#14 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

I found by water curing my trim for my last batch of oil that I could wash it 3 times, and still get more off it. I didn't have a shed load to use, so I stopped at 3 washes, but it is worth it to keep trying. I think I got a third more at least doing this. I still have the trim so I will try it again next time I do this.
  • FlowerMeds, bongbonghi, GeeGee and 6 others like this

#15 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

very good thread. a very nice read, never imagined that roots would do all this!
  • FlowerMeds, bongbonghi, Itinkso and 5 others like this

#16 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hi Medi....loving this thread...I saw something in my email that you said about using the pulp repeatedly. If there is or was some way you could measure or fully determine the strength of each batch, that would be excellent. It would clarify the medical need for relief, in the same manner that some need half and aspirin and others need four aspirin... When you bottle the product or however it is stored, it can have the percentage and be a more effective medicine.. So, hope that makes sense... Same principle as heavy, medium, light..etc. On that powdered herb thru the mail...I am not so sure...if that is a good idea..but if the strength of the product is low...I do not see why not. I would throw in some lavendar in the box...or coffee beans...

#17 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

The roots, when dried, do not smell like cannabis...the roots are full of alkaloids whilst the stems, buds and leaves have the majority of thc. Root-Flour is unidentifiable without a chemical test. However there's no need to mail powdered roots if you can send the balm:) Alcohol is noted as a substance used to remove alkaloids from the roots. I might try this next time I make a balm. muA

#18 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5521 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

i had read a really old medical book in a library when i was a teen investigating cannabis. they had different medicines made from the roots of cannabis, poultices, balms etc. like i said it was an old book on medicinal herbs. i think investigating books on this subject will come up with more different uses for the lovely plant.
  • jangel, FlowerMeds, bongbonghi and 6 others like this

#19 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

I think it might have been in the Foxfire series books, which focused on the culture of the Appalachians. I remember also in old folk remedies, that roots can be a potent source of medicine... Euell Gibbons also wrote about the benefits of using herbal roots.

#20 CaliWildViolet420

CaliWildViolet420

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • LocationMountains

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

This is a quote from the site 'Prodigal Gardens'.

"Roots are usually the most potent part of perennial and biennial plants. They work to anchor the plant in the soil and to draw nutrients out of the soil to feed the plant. They also function as a receptacle for food storage. Besides storing minerals, trace minerals, water and a host of other nutrients, they also contain a wealth of chemical constituents that have a medicinal effect on our bodies. "

#21 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Just an update. I re-boiled the roots used roots with fresh water and fresh oil {canola} for 30 hrs...Have saved the rootpulp for a third try later this week. This second batch from the same rootpulp seems as effective as the first batch... Cannot wait until I can get a blender to the roots and see how effective I can make this balm. muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, robotdinosaur and 6 others like this

#22 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

A Warning I failed to post @the beginning of this thread.

I do not recommend consuming canna-root oil!...For external use only!

I do not know the effect th@ alkaloids might have if consumed.
It COULD be dangerous.

muA

EDIT: I will add this to the top of the thread, Medi, just for safety sake. Thank you my friend.

Edited by jangel, 14 July 2010 - 10:43 AM.

• jangel, bongbonghi, robotdinosaur and 5 others like this

#23 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

Poultices...a way to use the root pulp after making canna-root oil. wikki on poultices.

Comfrey
...another root th@ might be considered for use in a balm.

linement

creams

a patent for External herbal composition for treating muscle aches and joint pain

ointment

cold cream

muA

Edited by medi-useA, 21 March 2010 - 06:57 PM.

#24 Sweetheart

Sweetheart

Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi, I recently heard about cannabis lip balm available in some dispensarys. Would this balm be something used to make lip balm or is it really not consumable? If it is dangerous to ingest maybe it is just for hand cream or?...? What makes you give the warning? So far I haven't seen anything about danger in consuming any part of the plant, but I am a beginner, so very interested. Thanks! :)

#25 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

I to have heard of cannabis lip balm.
I believe it is NOT made from the roots.
Balm made from flowers, buds, stems and such is perfectly ok to consume...they have been consumed this way for thousands of years...

But all my reading indicated th@ the roots are for external use.

Since I do not know how consuming canna-root oil would effect someone, I recommend not consuming it.

It may be safe for consumption...but I do not know th@ it is.

Hope this clears it up.

muA
  • jangel, bongbonghi, robotdinosaur and 7 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users