18 replies to this topic

#1 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

Do you ever get the 'dropsies'...nothing seems to stay in your hand?...always, somehow, just slipping out. I have some muscle and nerve control problems and @times just cannot hold onto things without a lot of concentration, and even then, a momentary lapse of control and wh@ever I'm holding drops. I have discovered something th@ helps me. A rubber band or two! I first tried this on my bic lighter...it seems to continuously slip out of my hands...almost like it was greased!:)..so I wrapped a couple of elastic bands around it. I have found this to work well with pens, pencils, ec and ph pens...even my remotes! A simple idea, but it gives enough grip to hold onto things...and things like ec/ph pens are expensive! just my :) ...hope someone else finds it useful. muA
  • I8ntLucky_UR, Desiderata, Spaceview and 8 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Spaceview

Spaceview

Fair and Balanced Honoured Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3838 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Medi. I use the same trick on my wallet and money clip to make sure I don't get my pocket picked.
  • I8ntLucky_UR, MrsV, DayTripping and 1 other like this

#3 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:05 AM

great idea medi!!!!....thanks for that!!
  • I8ntLucky_UR, Spaceview, MrsV and 1 other like this

#4 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

And while I'm @it, an idea for those who have to raise and lower lights in ya grow, I saw a clip on U-tube {think it was the Urban Grower} where the lights were raised on a pulley system with a battery drill connected to a winding shaft...something to keep in mind for an 'easy grow' setup.
There's got to be other uses for a battery drill to make work in a grow easier or as a substitute for something?....there's got to be some air/water pumps th@ are rotary powered?...for use in an emergency or power outage?

muA

Edited by medi-useA, 11 March 2010 - 09:36 PM.

• I8ntLucky_UR, Spaceview and MrsV like this

#5 I8ntLucky_UR

I8ntLucky_UR

Opiate Free Now

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

Gr8t idea Medi I have RA and some days my hands just don't work well either. I have learned to grab and hold onto things with both hands or pin it against something too. Whatever works best.
  • Spaceview, MrsV and DayTripping like this

#6 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Guys and gals...have a look @ one of my fave websites....

I've seen several products on the market th@ I first saw on this show...got quite a few for ppl with disabilities also...

Phytowall was on the show...lotsa stuff....check it out if ya can.

Currently featuring Access and Ability...:P

muA
  • MrsV likes this

#7 TalentedDave

TalentedDave

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

I have dropsie at times too...very frustrating for me. Thanks for the tips. I use light yo-yo's to raise and lower lights with less effort. I've used a pulley system in past indoor grows.
  • MrsV and DayTripping like this

#8 Desperado

Desperado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

How often do you have to adjust lights? It can't be that often. And why would you need a drill hooked up to it?? That sounds like a lot of unnecessary dubbing around when you can just use a rope and pulley.
  • I8ntLucky_UR, MrsV and DayTripping like this

#9 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

How often do you have to adjust lights? It can't be that often. And why would you need a drill hooked up to it?? That sounds like a lot of unnecessary dubbing around when you can just use a rope and pulley.

Lifting lights to work on the plants, I would say...about EVERY SECOND DAY!...so, yes...it CAN be THAT often...

The suggestion was for those who are unable to operate a rope/pulley. Those with arthritic hands/joints...those prone to tremors, spasms and shakes. Other probs also.

Look @ the title of the section..."Growing with Special Needs The art and science of growing with physical impairments."

muA
  • MrsV likes this

#10 Guest_serial_killer_*

Guest_serial_killer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

I've seen the drill thing too, plus you can get drill operated water pumps at HD/Lowes for cheap too. I thought you were going to say you rubberbanded stuff to your hand, not just wrapped it around stuff. lol. I just dropped my pH meter into my flood table the other day, thankfully I had 2 and while one if drying out I still have one to use. You can drop electronic stuff in water, remotes, cell phones, anything as long as you remove the battery ASAP and let it dry for like 5 days it'll be fine, it cant rust/corrode without power. You can wash your keyboard in the sink then just give it time to dry and its fine, water doesnt hurt it alone, its water and power together.

#11 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

I've thought of getting a tiny wheel innertube {3"-4"diameter}to inflate around my ph and ec probes to buffer any shock from dropping them. Mine have a clip for a loop of string I place around my neck.

An upside down egg carton makes a sturdy stable cradle to place some ec/ph pens in. This stops the little buggers rolling around.

Running cables into and out of a cab can be difficult because you want to be able to seal the hole after the cable/plug is inserted.
Really hard to poke a cable/plug through a hole made as small as possible.

I get around this by using a holesaw to cut a 4"-6" hole to easily pass as many cables through as I need. Then I cut a piece of 1" thick styrofoam into a disk the right size to fill the hole. Grooves can be cut around the edge of the disk to accommodate the cables. Usually, if the styrofoam is cut correctly, the hole is sealed and lightproof.

This is also a good way to fill in the void when a piece of equipment is removed mid grow.

muA
  • Desiderata likes this

#12 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

I have found a drill powered self priming pump!

This might be useful in emptying the res or moving nutes.

muA

#13 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

I sorta try an not use any adaptive tools as im a quad an have no grasp. There are a few i gotta use, like my pen holder an cuff i put a pencil into it to type with. But after 25 years, iv found that when not in your environment, their are no easy way outs. So thats why i do my best not to adapt to many thing, but like i said iv got a few, just never like to count on them much. I have taped a knife to a stick for weeding my outdoor grow, which makes things doable and without it, it couldn't get done. And i like my areas clear. But still a good idea and not to much cost:) See Ya:cool:

#14 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

Sometimes it's the little things th@ matter...:) muA

#15 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Sometimes it's the little things th@ matter...:welcome:

muA

Well isn't it the little things we a talking about? For me at least, little, big, there all the same. From picking up my smoke to moving my dresser, cuz i just know my damn clip is back there:banghead:

Oh i hear ya med:cool:

#16 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

Magnet on an extendable radio aerial? muA

#17 LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

Magnet on an extendable radio aerial?

muA

Well i had a service dog for nine years, but he died in Oct. I woke up, looked down at him as he was standing and he just drop dead. He was the greatest living thing in my life and i miss him everyday. I need to get another one, but just cant seem to bring myself to do it as they broke the mold for him. Truly the best friend i will ever had or will have.

Here is my Brody:cool:

Attached Files

#18 mediuse

mediuse

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

Sorry for your loss...my dogs keep me sane...and let me know when I'm close to a grand mal too. When you find the right pooch, it's hard to replace them...for every ounce of love you give them, they give a pound of love back. muA

#19 Desiderata

Desiderata

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

Somehow I fell on this topic and I'm happy I did! Thanks for the tips you guys. I know I'll be using some of them already! I'll pay more attention to how I do things now. I may have a few helpful moves of my own!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users