88 replies to this topic

#76 Aint easy bein Geezy

Aint easy bein Geezy

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Today I registered to vote and will be signing I-1068 as soon as I get my card! :) I will also be collecting signatures! Just curious are there guidlines to collecting these signatures, or am I allowed to go wild getting every signature from every bum I see walkin down the street!
  • theeyetye likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#77 theeyetye

theeyetye

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

Glad to hear that! The best thing to do there is check out norml's web site, they have people helping coordinate the effort out there and can give you all the legalities and necessities for collecting initiative sigs, how to submit them, etc.
  • Aint easy bein Geezy likes this

#78 Aint easy bein Geezy

Aint easy bein Geezy

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

thanx eyetye I'm excited to actually be able to say, that I will officially be a helping part in the movement.
  • theeyetye likes this

#79 theeyetye

theeyetye

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

I'm eager to become a part of it again; had to go underground for a while to fight a custody battle. I was incredibly active in Montana and happy to say our efforts helped result in legal medicine in a state that started overwhelmingly against it. Just gotta vote and keep opening minds; even when you get people that don't want to sign, duke it out with them! You wouldn't believe how much support we got in the end from some people we actually had to chase down to talk to. The stigma is strong, and you have to show people how they've been mislead to open their minds sometimes.

#80 DonJones

DonJones

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

Everyone,

Please be careful NOT to alienate potential signers and even more importantly potential votes when the measure comes to a vote! Also, if you are "duking it out", you don't know who is over hearing your conversation and may be becoming alienated by your attitude if you are too aggressive or get heated. REMEMBER BAD REP SPREADS MUCH MUCH FASTER THAN GOOD REP AND FOR EACH VOTER YOU ALIENATE YOU ARE ALSO INFLUENCING MANY OF THAT PERSON'S ACQUAINTANCES.

There is training available -- don't worry it is very short and simple. There are just some does and don'ts. A couple of examples are, the signers need to be registered voters and there are limitations on where and how you can solicit the signatures.

Here is an URL that you can use to get in touch with Sensible Washington, the group that prepared and filed the Initiative 1068.

http://sensiblewashington.org

Then click on the volunteer button at the top of the page. When I registered it took about 4 days to get a response, but things may be busier now.

For those in the eastern part of the state who would like to get involved quicker, there is a meeting this Saturday March20, 2010 @ 4:00 PM in the Mezzanine Level Conference Room of the Community Building, 35 West Main (on Main just west of Division Street) here in Spokane.

You can also reach the Eastern Washington Field Director via email at

sensiblewashingtoneast@gmail.com

When soliciting signatures, PLEASE be neat and clean and polite. You will be creating a first and usually lasting impression of the entire legalization movement.

Edited by DonJones, 18 March 2010 - 12:21 PM.
clarity

#81 theeyetye

theeyetye

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

I feel like I'm in a court room here. . . by "duke it out" I don't mean throwing fists, or getting loud, or angry, or violent. I thought it was already evident what folks' intentions were around here?

In the future I only ask to please be inquired upon for clarification when something isn't making a lot of sense. Whether it means a pm, or a quick question, I'm always happy to make myself better understood. I do not being assumed upon, however...

Now that I've clarified what I didn't mean - my point is, and again, I am speaking from experience from a fight that was already won, that;

a) Often people who are in support and would like to sign won't, out of fear that you are either an u/c leo, or simply because it's something they just choose to hide as a general policy altogether;

:) They are in support of it in logic, but either don't smoke or don't know any MJ patients, and aren't willing to "take the plunge" so to speak because it's not something that directly affects them. People have a tendency to not care about things if they don't directly pertain to them;

I don't mean harass someone, or banter with, or otherwise make yourself and the movement as a whole seem in any way hostile. Clearly, if it has not been thoroughly demonstrated, hostility is no way to get people to listen to you. But don't just disengage talking to someone right of the bat simply because they say something like "I'm not sure...", or "I'm not totally comfortable." Be nice, polite, thoughtful, and informative, to save a signature that might be on the brink. Every one counts.

Geezy, you rock, keep up the good work.
  • ISO2BWELL, Bueller, CaliWildViolet420 and 2 others like this

#82 DonJones

DonJones

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Theeyetye, If you would quit thinking every thing is directed directly to you, you wouldn't feel "injured so much". The post was very clearly addressed to "Everyone". Geleive me If you have ask yourself, is he talking to or about me, then I am not talking about to to you! I am anything except known for using innuendo or implication. If I have a problem with you, you will know it. Now that you have brought it up, thank you for clarifying your point. I think everyone got the first time but it is always better to be sure you are correctly understood. WE all, including me, need to remember that this is an open forum that even non members can read, so we have to speak generalities for WHOEVER might read it. Things that we can say to each other without any misunderstanding can't NECESSARILY be said in a public forum where the reader may NOT have the same back ground or knowledge as the person saying it does.

#83 theeyetye

theeyetye

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

I'm not really sure how to continue positively on this thread, I'm with you Cali. . . I'm not a brow-beater either, it's just become a bit much. It's one thing to give positive criticism, to disagree about something constructively, and present views in accord; it's another entirely to banter over the actual meaning of the words that I write, and then to be used as a beating point of an opposing opinion....you quoted my words, I feel it's safe to assume I was being spoken to, no?

So to further clarify my clarification of my statement, now twice removed (:sigh:), and oddly enough completely applicable to this situation: if after you've peacefully and politely done your best to encourage support you are still met with resistance, you then calmly and thankfully retract your efforts, and say "have a great day".

So Thanks, And Have A Great Day*
  • DonJones and Aint easy bein Geezy like this

#84 Aint easy bein Geezy

Aint easy bein Geezy

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:17 AM

sounds great guys! both of you should take a chill pill, I have learned to just take it all in, even the negative things are helpful in the learning curve, so just stay positive, and let it roll of your back.
  • Bueller, theeyetye and DonJones like this

#85 DonJones

DonJones

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:33 AM

I apologize to theeyetye for seeming to single him out when my purpose was simply to caution all of us to be careful how we tried to solicit signatures and votes. I also apologize to him and all of you for responding to his defense rather than just dealing with it in PMs. We both agree on much more than we disagree on and we all have better things to do than to squabble or minor disagreements and even worse of over minor misunderstandings. We all need to concentrate on getting I-1068 on the ballot and pass it. Be assetive and confident while also being careful. There are powerful forces at work behind the scenes to make us fail.

#86 Guest_no1luvsanalien_*

Guest_no1luvsanalien_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

every bum on the street as long as said bum is a registered voter.

#87 DonJones

DonJones

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

If anyone in the Spokane area is interested, there is a volunteer meeting for Senseble Washington at 4:00 PM today, Sat 3-20-10, at the Community Building, 35 W Main, Spokane in the mezzanine level conference room. Food provided! This is the chance to have your voice heard for getting enough signatures out of Spokane to make legalization a reality. (Quote from the Field Director's notification email) They wil have blank forms for us to take out.

#88 Guest_rjbuddd_*

Guest_rjbuddd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

is it already over?

#89 Guest_CAezrydn_*

Guest_CAezrydn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

Also, as you talk with people to gather your sigs, remember to find out what matters to THEM, not just to YOU. Address their subjects, not yours. You have to give them a reason to join the movement, to their personal betterment. Ask them. They'll tell you their fears and desires. Then, simply address them. In all your contacts, keep YOU out of it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users