13 replies to this topic

#1 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:27 AM

YouTube - Washingtons Proposal To Legalize Marijuana!
  • Sprocket, iradvs1 and theeyetye like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 ms.erge

ms.erge

young' un

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Locationin your imagination

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

15% tax per gram. ouch
  • Sprocket and like this

#3 Guest_SomeDude_*

Guest_SomeDude_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

I wonder how much would be in that law to legally allow you to grow..

#4 hinduhippy

hinduhippy

Medical Patient

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

There is now a new bill that has to get around 300,000 signatures and it will be automatically passed through legislation for marijuana to be legal to possess, sell, grow, anything basically. this is a 3rd bill after the first two were horrible presented and compeltly was a step backwards in any type of medical marijuana. The legislation thought the first two bills had to many restrictions so they allowed us to write another one and if it gets this many signatures will automatically be passed through.
  • Bueller and Sprocket like this

#5 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:17 AM

http://sensiblewashington.org/

Actually, it's 241153 valid signatures that are needed by July 2nd, 2010.
Looks to me that, with some diligence on our part (residents) we'll get 'er done..

ISO
  • Sprocket and hinduhippy like this

#6 DonJones

DonJones

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

The sensible Washington thing is NOT a BILL BUT AN INITIATIVE TO PUT THE PROPOSAL BEFORE THE PEOPLE FOR A VOTE. Even if it is approved by the people, it will NOT become law. It will be presented to the legislature and they can either approve it as written ( most unlikely), modify it as a bill and pass the modified version (more likely), or just ignore it at which time it will become law as passed ( also more likely).

In WA state the will of the people means little. Several years ago we passed an initiative requiring a 60% majority legislative vote to raise taxes, but because they couldn't get that majority this year and consider us to be in a fiscal crisis, the legislature passed a procedural rule by simple majority to set aside, at least temporarily that 60% requirement. Does that bode real well for what will happen with our Initiative 1068 to legalize marijuana by simply removing it from the list of controlled substances and remove the mention of marijuana from the current criminal statutes regarding adults and delivery to adults? Incidentally, it does NOT effect the current laws involving marijuana and minors or delivery to minors.

I'm an informed medical marijuana patient and activist in Spokane, WA who has actually read word for word the initiative and is watching the whole thing closely.

One reason our marijuana laws are so screwed up is because we have so many activists her ein the state with different agendas that the total legalization groups are writing proposals without any apparent knowledge or consideration of how it will effect the medical patients and some of them are willing to give the "citizens" any kind of apple to try to get it "legalized", like taxing and regulating through the state.

In my opinion setting up a system like our screwed up tobacco and liquor laws is even worse than the way it is now. As a medical patient and provider I beg you --IF YOU CAN'T GET IT TOTALLY LEGALIZED AND OUT OF THE STATE'S HANDS, PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL WE CAN! ONCE YOU SUCCEED IN GETTING THE TAXATION AND REGULATION SETUP IN PLACE WE HAVE NO HOPE OF EVER GETTING RID OF IT AND GETTING THE STATE OUT OF IT!

GIVEN OUR STATE'S INSATIABLE APPETITE FOR MONEY THROUGH SIN TAXES, THEY WILL TAX US RIGHT BACK INTO THE SAME BS UNDERGROUND MESS WE ARE IN NOW ONLY THEY WILL MAKE IT A TAX ISSUE INSTEAD OF A CRIMINAL ISSUE AND WE WILL NEVER GET OUT FROM UNDER IT! The legislature is currently seriously considering our illustrious governor's proposal to tax candy and soft drinks as a way to fund health care! What do you think will happen when they want more money if we have regulated aqnd taxed marijuana in our state?

Edited by DonJones, 02 March 2010 - 12:39 PM.
clarifaction/correction of grammer-spelling

• 4maggio, robotdinosaur and theeyetye like this

#7 Renata29

Renata29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Hi,

Just to clarify, there are two different kinds of initiatives in WA State -- initiatives to the Legislature and initiatives to the People.

I-1068 is an initiative to the people, which means if voters approve by a simple majority (50% + 1 vote) it will become law. It does not go before the legislature to become law -- it will happen automatically on December 2, 2010.

That is, if we get it on the ballot and a majority votes Yes. Please volunteer to get signatures so we get on the ballot, at www.sensiblewashington.org/volunteer

Thanks,
Renata
Eastern WA Field Director
  • ISO2BWELL, Sprocket and theeyetye like this

#8 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hi Renata, That is superb info about the different types of Initiatives..never knew that..THANKS!! And thanks also for joining GP and keeping us informed on how 1068 is going. WE have needed such an Initiative in WA for some time, but I do think the timing is good, now. ISO
  • Sprocket likes this

#9 Renata29

Renata29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Thanks, ISO, for the welcome and I'm happy to be here. I don't know how often I'll be on unless I get email updates (busy busy with signatures gathering ya know) but thank you again. Let me know if any Qs come up and I hope to count some GreenPassion members amongst our solid volunteer base!! Renata
  • Sprocket likes this

#10 DonJones

DonJones

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

Renata29,

Welcome!!

PM me so I can hook up with your other volunteers to gather signatures.

So we can thank the drafters of the MMJ for the screwed up dispensary, patient to provider ratios and so on rather than meddling in the legislature?

I understood that the initiatives to Legislature was what we the citizens drafted and voted on and the initiatives To the People were the ones where we either approved or disapproved legislation passed by the legislature, but I guess I was wrong.

Either way our first priority is to gather the signatures needed to get it on the ballot and then to gather enough votes to pass it in the November election.

WE also need to lobby our representatives to remove the provision of SB 5798 that recommendation be issued on tamper resistant paper approved by the government because it will NOT stop forgeries and it will make it even harder to get a recommendation form a normal doctor rather than from one of the MMJ clinics. And everyone knows the MMJ clinics are expensive, slow and inconvenient, especially to the mobility challenged as well as those living in outlying areas.

Edited by DonJones, 07 March 2010 - 06:14 PM.

• Sprocket and theeyetye like this

#11 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

Don, Oddly, that section IS an amendment, already. When the public testimony was done, that was not in the bill so many folks (Steve Sarich (CannaCare), the folks from the other groups, etc.) all testified in favor. Sarich did suggest one small amendment, but oddly they told him they didn't have time for amendments....then they went and added the Board of Pharmacy junk...flyingsmiley.gif I-1068 is the answer, IMO. Not sure how the State will react to its passage, but it will send a very clear message to Oly. that THE PEOPLE of the State of Washington desire that cannabis be legal in all respects, and since they refuse to do it, we will. ISO

#12 aussi potter

aussi potter

Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

wow! i dont live in the USA obviously but WOOOOO go washington!!! this is great! cause Australia might see this great source of income and follow USA's led ...... they openly admit they only doing this for the money ;)

#13 theeyetye

theeyetye

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

I wouldn't count on it Aussie, I'd gather the federales here will probably shut down Washington state as soon as they pass anything legalizing there. They've finally decided to back off of states that have it legalized for medicinal, thank god for that, but just like California has seen the past few years, WA going for all out legalization is sure to attract attention from DEA agents who want their five minutes of fame, even though the people of that state have decided against the federal law. It's a messy system we've got over here. Washington vs. Washington (d.c.). I pray for the cause out there, but I have a feeling it's going to take many state initiatives before Americans can truly find themselves fully rid of canna-tyranny.
  • Sprocket and iradvs1 like this

#14 DonJones

DonJones

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Iso,

The worrisome rpovision of SB-5798 was deleted and as substitue amendment made and passed that changes the definition of "tamper resistant paper" so loose as to make it nearly meaningless. Unfortunately, it is nearly as vague as the question of dispensaries and whether or not patients/providers can buy and sell MK. Before any one starts about the Department of Health saying it it illegal to buy or sell MJ, please remember, that NO where does the law authorize the Department of Health ot do ANYTHING except establish the "presumed 60 day supply" so their "opinion" is worthless an dhold NOT weight in a ocurt of law.

Here is a link to the excact wording of the bill as passed by both the HOuse and Senate and forwarded to the Goernor's office.

http://apps.leg.wa.g...e/5798-S.PL.pdf

I posted a more detailed discussion in this sub forum under the title Washingto SB 5798 passes or click here to go there

http://www.greenpass...8887#post228887

Hopefully we can all concentrate on getting I-1068 on the November ballot and passed in November without worring aobut what the darn legislature is doing ot mess with the MMJ laws.
  • ISO2BWELL and Sprocket like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users