Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Soil Leaching Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

When it came time to "Leach" the soil plants that are in flower, I asked the folks here about How to go about this venture. Believe me, if you have never been any kind of gardener in the past, and now you are tasked with caring not only for a special plant(s), but one that keeps you healthy as well, you want to be sure you do this right. GreenPassion has folks that can answer damn near ANY question you have...so just don't be afraid to ask it! (No one could have been "Newbie'er" than I was) Once I got the idea figured out, I didn't see how you could do it wrong...but then again...sometimes we can get the simplest things wrong! Here is how I went about it. I'm sure it is not the only method, but it worked for me as best as I can tell. This plant was locked up, and would not hardly take even plain water, and was fading too fast with 5 more weeks of flowering to go...I had to do something to clean off all the crap that had built up around the root structure while I fed, overfed and underfed them nutes for the previous 12 weeks. Now, that plant is responding again to the nutrients and greening back up again, as well as increasing the Cola size and it had a nice growth spurt several days following the leaching. Since very few of us bend as well anymore, seemed like it would be best if I got the plant up to a waist high level where I could comfortably pour in the water a gallon at a time. Here is what I started with, and the process used. Please feel free to comment if something was done different, or incorrect based on established processes. First, I set up a makeshift table across a couple short saw-horses, and made sure everything I might need was together, including 12 gal of clean water. Attached File  Flush table.jpg   46.63KB   23 downloads On the table are the empty bin, with 2X2's on top to set plant on that the leached water will flow into, Ph UP and DOWN solutions, Digital Ph and PPM meters and a 18" ruler that I use as a stir stick. I use a 4 gal. pot, and wanted to be sure none of the drain holes were blocked in any way...(so water can flow right through). Note the red circles where the drain holes are located on this pot: Attached File  Flush plant on bin.jpg   56.59KB   24 downloads Next, the water needs to be Ph'd to the correct level: Attached File  Clean water Ph.jpg   32.66KB   22 downloads You would also want to check the BEGINNING PPM of the water you will pour through, so that you can compare that to the readings you will get once the water has passed through the plant. You know you won't get less PPM in the drained fluid than the initial water started with. Attached File  Clean water PPM.jpg   44.03KB   10 downloads Now (I think) we are ready to begin! I took a 1 gal container and within about 5 min. poured 4 Gal. into the pot and let it drain for a few minutes afterwards to get as much of the initial leaching water out as possible: Attached File  flushing.jpg   59.37KB   10 downloads Then, set the plant aside (It is HEAVY now!) and check the PPM of the water that has flowed through your plants soil: Attached File  1st flush PPM.jpg   28.93KB   9 downloads DUMP that bad water, and re-set the bin/boards back up. Repeat the whole process again, pouring through 4 more gallons of the clean, Ph'd water, and again checking the PPM of the water that has passed through your soil and root structures: Attached File  2nd flushing PPM.jpg   41.25KB   13 downloads By now, the soil is really soaked. Set the plant off and drain the fluid from the 2nd leaching and re-set your boards & plant for the 3rd and final leaching. By this time 8 gallons have already passed through the roots, and 4 more gallons should complete the process. The last 4 gallons are poured through in less than a 5 min time frame, and again, PPM the run off water to see how much the overall PPM has dropped since the first 4 gallons: Attached File  3rd and final PPM.jpg   46.04KB   9 downloads The PPM of the "pass-thru" water has now dropped from the initial 540 PPM to 210 PPM, and we also know that 130 of the PPM belong to the leach water PRIOR to even being poured through the plant. This plant should now be ready to dry out for a few days, and then once again it can accept the nutrients and be able to access the benefits of them I had never done this process before, so I have no idea if the above is "Gospel", or just the way I choose to do it. Hope you find it helpful, ISO

Edited by ISO2BWELL, 10 November 2010 - 06:53 PM.

• GeeGee, maahal1, Hangshai and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 the.fatman.cometh

the.fatman.cometh

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

Well done.
  • teddys head likes this

#3 blakeb

blakeb

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:25 PM

cool i didnt know how to leach properly thannx bud

#4 MrLizard27

MrLizard27

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

I think that is an awesome tutorial. the missues will find it very helpful
  • teddys head likes this

#5 lagboatlenny

lagboatlenny

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

very informative. thanx
  • teddys head likes this

#6 Guest_natmoon_*

Guest_natmoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

So far i have just poured loads of fresh water through my plants but never the amounts that your saying ie 8 gallons or more,i have used more like about 4 litres and i have never checked my ppm or ph levels ever.

I am assuming from reading around that even though i have been growing for a very long time this is why i always end up with nute burn during flowering,because i have never flushed them properly,years ago i just used to stick them under the cold shower for 10 minutes as i live in a very soft water area.

Anyways thanks for this post was very well laid out and readable and i will be getting one of those metres in the near future and doing what it says in this thread.:(

#7 Hobo

Hobo

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

Nice, i just checked this out, good post.
  • teddys head likes this

#8 Guest_Got Humboldt?_*

Guest_Got Humboldt?_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

Very well done and illustrated. Thanks.

#9 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

controlled flushing of the plant, great description of that ISO:)
  • teddys head likes this

#10 pine boy

pine boy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Man I love this place... so much good information on something close to my heart.You people are GIANTS. My lil grow is doing so well thanks to all of you and I am even more excited and ready to start my 2nd indoor. I need more lights...and a volcano:volcano:
  • teddys head likes this

#11 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

Crap...I can see we lost the pics in the cyber-fart...no worries...I'll get 'em back in there. ISO
  • teddys head likes this

#12 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

This is the most well thought out description of a careful leaching I have ever read - in fact I have never had it explained anywhere near this level of detail. This should be a sticky somewhere or a FAQ (how long before one of the mods point out that it already is and I missed it?)
  • teddys head likes this

#13 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

Apparently in the move to the new software some of the images were lost. All fixed now.
  • GeeGee, Hangshai and teddys head like this

#14 Hangshai

Hangshai

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

great tutorial! Im trying this tonite!!!
  • teddys head likes this

#15 maahal1

maahal1

Green Man

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:46 AM

Kewl good work leprican.gif
  • teddys head likes this

#16 KaK

KaK