* * * * * 1 votes

My DIY veg chamber from a wheelchair!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

With the girls now flowering it has become necessary to build a veg chamber, to assure a continual supply of medicine! I found a tutorial on here for a DIY Rubbermaid grow box, and decided to make the a few modifications. I am using a 35 gallon tote instead of the 22 gallon to accommodate two 5 gallon DIY aeroponic buckets that I'm building. This setup looked real easy and I thought I could throw it together relatively quick. I am in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury and since the injury is in the cervical region parts of my arms don't work like they used to and I have very little dexterity and my fingers. So the first step is to cover the entire inside of both 35 gallon tubs with aluminum foil tape, now I have trouble fumbling around with any tape, and this aluminum tape is very unforgiving. It took me probably about eight hours just to tape up the tubs. fortunately it looks like that will be the most time-consuming part of the project. hopefully the rest of this set of will go quickly since two clones are showing new roots! to make it more accessible once it is done I will probably attach a couple of hinges on one side between the top and bottom tote(like a clamshell). I shouldn't have a problem bending the plants over when opening the lid since I will be training them from the very beginning. After this all I will need to build is a mother box and I should be good to go! Thanks to everyone on this forum, this community is awesome and the moderators are some really caring people! peace:pns:

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Itinkso

Itinkso

hemp healer ( and one crazy lady)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

Sounds really cool hotwheelz.........got any pics.......we'd love a look see!!!!
  • jangel, chuckd420 and Desert Woman like this

#3 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

also.....we have a growing for special needs section in case you missed it.......we could put this in there if you want and then it will be easily accesible for any one else with similar needs!!!
  • Tokecrazy, jangel, chuckd420 and 4 others like this

#4 SmokeToLive

SmokeToLive

Baked User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

Wow! Good luck! It sounds like you're on your way to an awesome starter cab. :party: That aluminum tape is annoying sometimes too! Pics! :party:
  • jangel, chuckd420, Desert Woman and 1 other like this

#5 LeCreuset

LeCreuset

pot and pans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hey Hotwheelz can ya do me a favor? I would love to see some pics of your garden. I helped set up a small personal grow for someone in a wheelchair although it works fairly well would love to see some other setups.
  • jangel, SmokeToLive, grampa tom and 2 others like this

#6 Guest_LadyMarmalade_*

Guest_LadyMarmalade_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hi, HotWheelz! You're on your way! GP can help with a lot of info whenever you need it! Good luck!

#7 Shinningwind

Shinningwind

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

:welcome: :welcome: :peace1: rainbow.gif What flavour of greens are you gonna grow...? :pns:
  • jangel, SmokeToLive, Desert Woman and 1 other like this

#8 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

all done for ya hotwheelz........get a move on with the pics now!!!....we are itching to see them!!!!LOL!!!
  • Desert Woman likes this

#9 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

With the girls now flowering it has become necessary to build a veg chamber, to assure a continual supply of medicine!

I found a tutorial on here for a DIY Rubbermaid grow box, and decided to make the a few modifications. I am using a 35 gallon tote instead of the 22 gallon to accommodate two 5 gallon DIY aeroponic buckets that I'm building.

This setup looked real easy and I thought I could throw it together relatively quick. I am in a wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury and since the injury is in the cervical region parts of my arms don't work like they used to and I have very little dexterity and my fingers. So the first step is to cover the entire inside of both 35 gallon tubs with aluminum foil tape, now I have trouble fumbling around with any tape, and this aluminum tape is very unforgiving. It took me probably about eight hours just to tape up the tubs. fortunately it looks like that will be the most time-consuming part of the project. hopefully the rest of this set of will go quickly since two clones are showing new roots!

to make it more accessible once it is done I will probably attach a couple of hinges on one side between the top and bottom tote(like a clamshell). I shouldn't have a problem bending the plants over when opening the lid since I will be training them from the very beginning.

After this all I will need to build is a mother box and I should be good to go!

Thanks to everyone on this forum, this community is awesome and the moderators are some really caring people!

peace:pns:

Here are a couple pics so far! Taping took a bit of time but did it.

Attached Files

#10 Itinkso

Itinkso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23138 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

wow......you clearly have the patience of a saint!!!....great going......looking forward to the next set of pics!!!!

Edited by Itinkso1, 19 December 2009 - 01:12 PM.

• jangel, grampa tom and Desert Woman like this

#11 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Awesome job! Can't wait to see the rest of your grow. And thank you so much for sharing it with us all. I am sure you will give needed support and inspiration to others trying to also grow with limitations. Peace
  • grampa tom, Desert Woman, Itinkso and 1 other like this

#12 Skittles_man

Skittles_man

Tokin & smokin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hey! Cool! another guy in a wheel-chair in this forum. I'm looking forward to seeing your grow.

#13 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

sorry I have not finished but I need to pick up 2 h2o pumps tommorow. My clones have nice roots and all will be finished by the weekend. I will post an entire tut bythen............ peace

#14 Guest_operator1_*

Guest_operator1_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

looking good so far... that tape looks like a pain in the butt, can't wait to see the progression of this grow.

#15 Desert Woman

Desert Woman

Medicine Woman~Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5908 posts
  • Location760 Cali High Desert

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

also.....we have a growing for special needs section in case you missed it.......we could put this in there if you want and then it will be easily accesible for any one else with similar needs!!!

please?
  • grampa tom likes this

#16 Desert Woman

Desert Woman

Medicine Woman~Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5908 posts
  • Location760 Cali High Desert

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

wow......you clearly have the patience of a saint!!!....great going......looking forward to the next set of pics!!!!

what a good idea! Looks great..
  • grampa tom likes this

#17 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Veg chamber with 5 gal aeroponic buckets!

Parts List for veg chamber

1. 2-35 gallon Rubbermaid/Sterlite totes(smallest tote that will hold 2-5 gallon buckets)
2. 2-rolls foil masking tape

3.1-3 socket 18" light fixtures (lowes #122251)

4. 3-26w-42w CFL's

5. Grounded power cord (to attach to the light fixture)

6. Computer Fan

7. 12 V AC adapter (for computer fan)

8. screws and bolts that I had laying around

5 gal Aeroponic buckets parts list

1. 2-5 gallon buckets

2. 2-6" net pot 5 gallon bucket lids

2. 2-250 GPH water pump's

3. 10' 1/2" PVC

4. 2-1/2" T's

5. 8-1/2" elbows

6. 4-1/2" end caps

7. 2-1/2" threaded adapters

8. PVC adhesive

9. 12-micro sprayers

#18 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

cover the entire inside of both 35 gallon tubs with foil tape

Attached Files

#19 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

attach the power cord to the light fixture with wire nuts and electrical tape

Attached Files

#20 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

in the tutorial I used to help me they mounted 2-3 socket light fixtures to the top of the lid tote, but I am only using one fixture and I will hang it with either string or chain so I can raise and lower it as needed (till I come up with a better idea for mounting the light)

Edited by Hotwheelz, 01 January 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#21 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

Cut a 4 to 5" round exhaust hole in the upper back of the lid for the computer fan (depending on the size of your computer fan) also cut a 5 to 6" intake hole on the upper back of the bottom tote (passive intake) I will attach a small carbon scrubber later on!

#22 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Attach 4 small hinges to both totes along the back side (so it opens like a clamshell) or attach 1 inch long screws in each corner of the bottom tote and then drill 4 matching holes in the corners of the lid tote to hold the lid in place.

#23 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

Also cut a 2" round hole for power cords.

#24 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

That's about it for the box! Let's move on to the bucket's! But first I think a 420 break is in order............lol

Attached Files

#25 Guest_Hotwheelz_*

Guest_Hotwheelz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

5 gallon buckets differ a little in size and shape from bucket to bucket so I do not have measurements, I used the bucket to determine the lengths of PVC. Basically I did a little extra cutting and trimming to make the PVC contraption fit in the bucket snug! It wasn't that hard just messy cutting the PVC.Assemble PVC sprinkler skeleton according to pictures!

Attached Files

Edited by Hotwheelz, 01 January 2010 - 06:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users