26 replies to this topic

#1 deep[H2O]culture

deep[H2O]culture

EX TEAMGREEN MMJ CAREGIVERS

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Hello, I would just like to throw out some info to all you beginners that I think it is essential to know, especially in this tough economy...

First of all, I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to see new people every day coming here looking for help. It's so good to see how many new comers are actually getting into growing their own medicine. Every day someone is planting their first seed. Whether it be for you, someone you love, for medicinal purposes, recreational, religious, any reason you may have. The more we grow our own, the less "illegal" activity's are being connected to cannabis, which in turn separates it further and further away from the "street drug" propaganda critics just love to associate it with. Also, it's only a matter of time before it's being grown by so many people, the police or feds cant even comprehend how to keep up, which in turn gives the legalization movement much more of a chance. The worlds in debt and even the most conservative snobs will start to see how much money is being wasted on trying to stop something that simply cannot be stopped. As we all know, or should know, cannabis is safer than Tylenol, aspirin, caffeine, and alcohol. The ONLY reason it's illegal is because of greed. With new discovery's in proven protocol's that have cured cancer, prohibition is becoming more and more ridiculous and more and more people are starting to realize the truths behind cannabis. But this is a subject I could go on and on about so we'll just move right along into what my intentions were when I decided to write this.

Well with laws changing for the better, and many states going medical, this has become a booming industry. There are folks who don't even use the herbals that are getting into the business end of it because they see how much this industry is taking off at dramatic speeds, which leads me to the point of this thread. Buyers beware, these company's are taking advantage of inexperienced growers. Not all of them, in fact, there still remains a lot of honest and caring people that supply things we need to keep the flow moving. I have been in this game for years and just in the past 3 years alone, I cannot believe how many new company's and products are being manufactured and established each day. But do note, there most certainly is shady marketing gurus out there trying to take advantage of the new comers.

The biggest scam I am seeing a lot, is "re-inventing the wheel" scams. Be careful with nutrients, many company's are using the SAME exact formula that has been used for years, change the label and maybe add some fruity scent to it, and double or triple the price. And it's working. It's all the same N-P-K additives, just a more colorful label. I see this every time I go to a hydro shop or open a magazine. Sometimes, they will just switch up the formula a tiny bit and call it a "breakthrough" discovery thats going to double your harvest!

Another scam I see sometimes is with HPS or MH bulbs. Company's that have greenhouses or large scale grow operations will use 100-200 hours or so with the bulbs, and simply re-package them. Thankfully the one of the leading bulb company's have just started using a special ink on the bulb itself, which changes color after just a few hours of use. Great idea!

Grow tents are another one. $500.00 for a tent?!?!?!? Look at what some of these tents are made of and you will see that you can make one just as efficient for under $100.00. Some PVC tubing for the frame and whatever material you wish to use and wham-o! You saved $500.00.

I don't want to be a living, breathing, walking advertisement for who's who in this business, so I wont name names, just know to tread carefully when you are stocking up for your first big grow and what you are investing in.

Just understand, this IS a booming industry right now, and the CEO's know that a huge percentage of clientèle are new growers that don't know any better. They know this and they are taking advantage of it to the fullest! Believe me, it almost makes me sick to see a Bloom Booster selling for triple price because they tricked out their label a bit and spent thousands on pretty ad's.

Let's face it, most of us were sick of paying for our herbals and we decided to save money by growing our own. Great idea!! But if you are paying just as much to run your operation, then the whole point is wasted. There are some great products out there, and there really are some breakthrough formulas that really work them trichomes to their fullest potential. But for every ONE of the good guys, there are probably THREE bad guys. Let's all work together to "WEED" out the shady business.

Happy growing everyone, and please don't hesitate to hit up my visitor message box with any questions you may have. I will do my best to help. I want to see everyone become successful with their grows and not give up after the first try. Like I said, I want to see EVERYONE that partakes in this amazing herb growing their own. If everyone did that, things would drastically change for the better, IMO.. Keep it Green!!

:salute:

Posted Image

Posted Image

"E" from E&X TeamGreen.

(Ventura, CA.. in compliance with proposition 215, SB420, CA H&S codes 11362.5-11362.7)

Edited by deep[H2O]culture, 09 December 2009 - 11:49 PM.

• jangel, chuckd420, wereallstoned and 25 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 DreamOfGreen

DreamOfGreen

Everybody must get stoned

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationIs everything (so I've been told)

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:22 AM

Nicely put DWC. Thanks for being one of the good guys. Lets over grow the world.
  • jangel, chuckd420, deep[H2O]culture and 3 others like this

#3 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:13 AM

Well thought out and a for sure must read for a noob. My goodness that is a mound of chemicals! I have been soapboxing for a while now about the local hydro shop or online seller... so many chems and choices with the person behind the counter more than glad to sell you the next greatest run of additives... all the miracles in a bottle to make great bud..... the cash register for the industry rings at an incredible pace! I read log after log about adding this, adding that, most times, it is an overlook of the basics of plant botany... water.... light...heat .. time and an inability to understand same.. or the result of adding junk to correct when all that would have been needed was to raise the light or change the light spectrum... no incandescent 100 watt bulbs will not work..... I concur... well said! Pete
  • jangel, chuckd420, hillbilly and 2 others like this

#4 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

Indeed well said sweetie! Thanks for that! I must say, I am an organic grower. I use more traditional things like bonemeal, bloodmeal, dolimite lime, compost, worm castings and bat guano. Not high priced chemical nutes I don't understand. I am lucky to have an honest dealer near me that tells the truth...he says "That is crap". he might have to stock it as he is a franchise, but he does not have to sell it. His income is wisely based on returning customers, that keep purchasing from him. yes, the first time grower is a mark, but the next and the next buys are bigger and he wants them to come back, so he tells the truth. That is rare in this industry. I am sticking this thread....please add to this members. Good to warn other newcomers. Peace
  • deep[H2O]culture, Bueller, Sprocket and 3 others like this

#5 deep[H2O]culture

deep[H2O]culture

EX TEAMGREEN MMJ CAREGIVERS

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

most times, it is an overlook of the basics of plant botany... water.... light...heat .. time and an inability to understand same.. or the result of adding junk to correct

Pete

Good point Pete! Definitely true, i'm sure many of us have heard the "K.I.S.S" technique here... "Keep It Simple Stupid".. "Keep It Simple Solution".."Keep It Sound and Simple".. etc... Keeping that in mind has always helped out a lot.

Jangle, thanks for sticking it! Organic grows rock!! I have had very tasty product come from organics, and to this day we still keep a few pots of dirt outside with all-organic additives like you said, bone meal, bat guano's, and such. That bone meal and blood meal is POWERFUL stuff!! Wow!
  • jangel, Bueller, Sprocket and 2 others like this

#6 _abbenormal

_abbenormal

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

hello with all this said and by the way its so right on as to what is going on out here... thanks for the wise input deep... understanding the basics but not with mmj growing and hydro type is what im wanting to do... where are good list of products that do work and are cost wise out here... along with that as a new grower where can we find the info on what nutes to use and how much... that is a double ended ? i understand.. as there are many different ways and how2 do it... so most need to be fine tuned to what you are doing... but as a new grower ive not found what just works for the most part... but ive not found anywhere a starting point to work from.... like this is the min to start with and this has been proven to work if you just follow it... not about high yields but what truly just works... to grow and do it well.... i see stuff like use 1/4 nutes and then up it to full nutes over a time frame... but it still doesnt answer types that have always worked well... in reading some of this it seems that only one type of hute but ive read theres a couple you want to maybe use together to support other things.... anyway my 2 cents... sorry if im not explaining this very well its always the hardest part for me to ask in the right way... abbe
  • jangel, GeeGee, hillbilly and 1 other like this

#7 GeeGee

GeeGee

Sheep connoisseur extraordinaire

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hey abbe, you might want to shoot DeepH2O a private message, maybe he won't get to see this reply...
  • jangel and hillbilly like this

#8 Guest_SBlackrose_*

Guest_SBlackrose_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hey abbe, the first thing you must do is read. Then read. Then read some more. I struggled because I didn't read enough. Then u have to discover the simplest most cost effective method that fits ur situation. I read from alot a different sources but I take my advice from the people here. And when I listen to them my babies flourish. Ask your questions. I sought out a teacher. For real! As for as nutes go, I did what the experienced people say works for them. Being thAt I am such a stone cold newbie myself, this is the only advice I DARE to give. Peace

#9 _abbenormal

_abbenormal

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

hello thanks for the added info... im a self taught linux user so reading is the way i go but then i also ask and any advice is good in my book... i have grown gardens and flowers before but nothing indoors or close to hydro but think its the best for my needs and whats to learn... i have always thought you need to learn something everyday if you dont then your not thinking lol... but as a couple of people here have said jump in start small then tweek it... but this is a learn as you go and i like those rules... abbe
  • jangel, hillbilly and DayTripping like this

#10 Guest_paganpride_*

Guest_paganpride_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

I want to thank everybody here for their knowledge and insight. I'm a first timer (growing) I definitely do not have a green thumb, I can kill a cactus, my problem is my plants are wilting, leave's are yellowing, I had a florist look at them she said my potting soil has too much magnesium in it and it's burning them (indoor growing) has anyone heard of this?

#11 FXDXRider

FXDXRider

The Motorcycle Nomad

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Thanks and well said
  • hillbilly likes this

#12 luvtogro

luvtogro

Newer than New...growin a few...

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thank you! I was starting to feel like cheap scum by not spending thousands of dollars on my op...

#13 mtnlyin

mtnlyin

Shaman of Smoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

I keep learning more and more from seasoned veterans and it saves me immensely. I am still gathering info to put together my first grow and all of the advice and experiences that I have gathered along the way are worth their weight in gold.

#14 MandyKan

MandyKan

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:08 AM

DWC, I had my suspicions... Thanks for the heads up! BTW... great info.

#15 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

I was raised on a farm and I find a lot of what I see in the various advertisements just funny as hell. All the promises of a magical formula that will produce some huge gain at harvest is BS except BS is a lot more useful to the plants. Different plants have different needs, for instances corn is a very heavy nitrogen feeder where a legume like soybeans hate added nitrogen because they fix their own nitrogen. A good soil and the proper NPK and micro's will do you more good than a ton of hype. Same with hydro, give the plant what it needs and it will give you what you need. A little knowledge does more good than anything. Read and ask questions and you'll be happy little gardener. :laughleaf:

#16 foxlikemad

foxlikemad

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Locationblowgrado montana

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

yo pagan pride idk if any one responded to you or not but if you just google plant diseases and causes it will help you alot. i found them through a highschool class here. but yea just from what i learned there. all these fancy mixes and all that are junk... just as knuckledagger said bs is better lol. i grew up next to a stockyard so woot.
  • KnuckleDragger likes this

#17 hatchet22

hatchet22

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hi Deep,

I'm new at this, but I saw your post and liked it. What kind of lighting to you suggest for a 5x2x8 closet? I want to have seperate veg and a flowering compartment ,stacked. The conterversy is how much light can the closet safely hold, and still produce a top quality crop?

Thanks,
H22

Hello, I would just like to throw out some info to all you beginners that I think it is essential to know, especially in this tough economy...

First of all, I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to see new people every day coming here looking for help. It's so good to see how many new comers are actually getting into growing their own medicine. Every day someone is planting their first seed. Whether it be for you, someone you love, for medicinal purposes, recreational, religious, any reason you may have. The more we grow our own, the less "illegal" activity's are being connected to cannabis, which in turn separates it further and further away from the "street drug" propaganda critics just love to associate it with. Also, it's only a matter of time before it's being grown by so many people, the police or feds cant even comprehend how to keep up, which in turn gives the legalization movement much more of a chance. The worlds in debt and even the most conservative snobs will start to see how much money is being wasted on trying to stop something that simply cannot be stopped. As we all know, or should know, cannabis is safer than Tylenol, aspirin, caffeine, and alcohol. The ONLY reason it's illegal is because of greed. With new discovery's in proven protocol's that have cured cancer, prohibition is becoming more and more ridiculous and more and more people are starting to realize the truths behind cannabis. But this is a subject I could go on and on about so we'll just move right along into what my intentions were when I decided to write this.

Well with laws changing for the better, and many states going medical, this has become a booming industry. There are folks who don't even use the herbals that are getting into the business end of it because they see how much this industry is taking off at dramatic speeds, which leads me to the point of this thread. Buyers beware, these company's are taking advantage of inexperienced growers. Not all of them, in fact, there still remains a lot of honest and caring people that supply things we need to keep the flow moving. I have been in this game for years and just in the past 3 years alone, I cannot believe how many new company's and products are being manufactured and established each day. But do note, there most certainly is shady marketing gurus out there trying to take advantage of the new comers.

The biggest scam I am seeing a lot, is "re-inventing the wheel" scams. Be careful with nutrients, many company's are using the SAME exact formula that has been used for years, change the label and maybe add some fruity scent to it, and double or triple the price. And it's working. It's all the same N-P-K additives, just a more colorful label. I see this every time I go to a hydro shop or open a magazine. Sometimes, they will just switch up the formula a tiny bit and call it a "breakthrough" discovery thats going to double your harvest!

Another scam I see sometimes is with HPS or MH bulbs. Company's that have greenhouses or large scale grow operations will use 100-200 hours or so with the bulbs, and simply re-package them. Thankfully the one of the leading bulb company's have just started using a special ink on the bulb itself, which changes color after just a few hours of use. Great idea!

Grow tents are another one. $500.00 for a tent?!?!?!? Look at what some of these tents are made of and you will see that you can make one just as efficient for under $100.00. Some PVC tubing for the frame and whatever material you wish to use and wham-o! You saved $500.00.

I don't want to be a living, breathing, walking advertisement for who's who in this business, so I wont name names, just know to tread carefully when you are stocking up for your first big grow and what you are investing in.

Just understand, this IS a booming industry right now, and the CEO's know that a huge percentage of client�le are new growers that don't know any better. They know this and they are taking advantage of it to the fullest! Believe me, it almost makes me sick to see a Bloom Booster selling for triple price because they tricked out their label a bit and spent thousands on pretty ad's.

Let's face it, most of us were sick of paying for our herbals and we decided to save money by growing our own. Great idea!! But if you are paying just as much to run your operation, then the whole point is wasted. There are some great products out there, and there really are some breakthrough formulas that really work them trichomes to their fullest potential. But for every ONE of the good guys, there are probably THREE bad guys. Let's all work together to "WEED" out the shady business.

Happy growing everyone, and please don't hesitate to hit up my visitor message box with any questions you may have. I will do my best to help. I want to see everyone become successful with their grows and not give up after the first try. Like I said, I want to see EVERYONE that partakes in this amazing herb growing their own. If everyone did that, things would drastically change for the better, IMO.. Keep it Green!!

:D:

Posted Image

Posted Image

"E" from E&X TeamGreen.

(Ventura, CA.. in compliance with proposition 215, SB420, CA H&S codes 11362.5-11362.7)

#18 Citation10Jet

Citation10Jet

• Seasoned Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:04 AM

Thanx so much Jangel. I'll buy that advice.drums.gif

Indeed well said sweetie! Thanks for that! I must say, I am an organic grower. I use more traditional things like bonemeal, bloodmeal, dolimite lime, compost, worm castings and bat guano. Not high priced chemical nutes I don't understand. I am lucky to have an honest dealer near me that tells the truth...he says "That is crap". he might have to stock it as he is a franchise, but he does not have to sell it. His income is wisely based on returning customers, that keep purchasing from him. yes, the first time grower is a mark, but the next and the next buys are bigger and he wants them to come back, so he tells the truth. That is rare in this industry.

I am sticking this thread....please add to this members. Good to warn other newcomers.

Peace

#19 larry1369

larry1369

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

Thanx so much Jangel. I'll buy that advice.:)

Absolutely. The teas you make with organic guano kelp extract, great white or some other rhysome accelerator for root hrealth and some molasses to fatten them up and reap the benefits. I screwed up this year and only sprayed BT once and have some caterpillar issues but what you gonna do right? Live and learn.

#20 DrBudz

DrBudz

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Great advise everyone........You can spend lots of cash that you don't need to......homemade stuff is sometimes better than store bought....DrBudz

#21 jogau

jogau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hi, Yes I am new to growing. I currently have two plants growing in our sunniest room. They are some sort of sativa strain, but I don't know any more about them. They were given to me buy a friend. He was given seeds but does not know anything else about them. They were growing in his greenhouse until it got too cold and he game them to me. He said it was just good learning for me and whatever I get out of them is a bonus. They are about 2-3 ft tall right now. We will see what comes out of this. My question is this, after Christmas, I want to start with seeds growing in my house so they will be ready to be planted outside in late Spring. I have MS and would like to know what strain I should be looking at. There are SO many different kinds out there it is a bit overwhelming. From what I have read, a hybrid strain is probably the best unless I want to have two strains, one for the day and one for the night. My friend who has been growing for a few years was thinking of ordering Jamaican Lion seeds or Aphgan Kush Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks

#22 Larry902

Larry902

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

I can testify to that!  I bought a 2 gallon hydroponic setup to grow 6 plants at once which included an attached led lamp, however, what the ad didn't say was this setup would only allow the plants to grow little more that a foot tall and their customer service was non-existent.  I modified things by removing the attached lamp and buying a better lamp that is currently suspended from the top of the tent.  My plants are currently doing well but I'm mad I spent so much money on a setup that would only give me a few grams.  It's better to keep the resevoir and light separate so the plants can get taller than a foot but of course, the advertiser didn't say that.  Also, the resevoir was made for 6 plants but as the plants started to grow, it got awfully crowed in there.  I think 3 plants in that confined space would've been better. 

Fortunately, as my plants are getting taller, they're moving outwards to get the light so I suppose it's working out but it would've been better and cheaper if I bought the resevoir and light separatly right in the beginning.  I don't go for expensive fertilizers either.  Well, this is my first grow so hopefully the yield will wash away a multitude of screw ups.

As for my tent, it's 4x4x7 and I got it for a good price($95)so I can't complain.  That was a good investment even though I probably could've gotton off cheaper if I had the ambition to build my own tent!

The biggest expense would be the price of seeds nowadays.  I've seen them selling for $50 for just 3 seeds and none of them sprouted!.  It's just too embarassing to talk about. 

#23 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

I've noticed over the last few years that as grow your own has become more popular, so have the magical cannabis grow systems. The first thing they do is convince you that cannabis can't be grown like every other plant in existence it must be treated special. In reality it really isn't very hard and a little commonsense goes a long way. If you can grow a tomato plant you can grow our favorite weed and their isn't only one true way to do it and that's why this forum is here, to help people grow, no matter how they want to do it.

• Bueller and Larry902 like this

#24 Larry902

Larry902

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

My biggest concern was odor and how to avoid it.  So far no oder has escaped my tent that has the charcol filter and a 450cfm blower through that aluminum ductwork but aside from that, I'm inventing things as I go along for example, I'm using a few things I had lying around the house for years like those plastic teaspoons of different sizes(to mix the fertilizer), a measuring cup, a turkey baster(I'm growing hyponically, an extension cord.  Oh, also a thermometer. table and chair.  I also have on hand an ozone generator just in case of an oder problem.  I definately could use another tent for drying or whatever(Wish I'd thought of that earlier then I would've bought a bigger tent with separate chambers.  Right now I'm using my old food dehydrater to dry out some of the foliage instead of  hanging it from a string.  

However, marijuana growing has turned into such a mystical and surreal thing thanks in part to it being illegal but essentially doesn't seem to be much different from any other plant.  I guess the only concern is the yield and how to improve it but any yield is better than being too intimidated to even try growing.  One of my initial fears was failing and my plants turning out to be male and or bugs but then realized it will take time and experience before I can grow like the professionals. I do have the edge because I know some people on here that routinely grow.  I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing for now.

Edited by Larry902, 29 August 2014 - 11:51 AM.

• Bueller and KnuckleDragger like this

#25 Larry902

Larry902

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

Another thing I found out is those hydroponic setups that are circular and hold six pots just don't work when you have six healty and vigorous plant fighting for space.  I found out the hard way that with those setups, planting any more than two or three plants in the same container is pushing the limits unless I let them only grow a foot tall before flowering but I didn't see any point in doing all this work just for a few grams.  I have the "easy buds six shooter"  yeah, right.  Nothing easy about this contraption. but will be a definate problem when the plants start to flower and get taller.  Not sure what I'm gonna do about it now except grab a few clones, let the plants in the "six shooter" hopefully flower, cut my losses the start again.  I can't do too much else at this point, the roots are much too entangled so pulling up one plant now will leave me with a bunch of dead roots in the resevoir so I'll let em go for now but this goes to show what kind of crap which is aimed at the first time grower can expect.

• Bueller and KnuckleDragger like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users