49 replies to this topic

#1 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

I've been reading alot here lately about males and pollen. I wanted to share with you how I was taught to collect the male pollen, so you dont have to continue buying yr seeds.
There is no need to pollenate a whole grow, this will allow you to selectively pollinate some of your lower bud sites and have seeds without infecting your entire grow. Sorta like having your cake and eating it too.
I do hope that some of you will use this to continue the lines of cannibis we all know and love, strong.
First off... the cutting.... the top of any male you're about to compost....
Posted Image

Next, the set-up, a plastic beer cup, with a hole in the bottom... a glass cup to hold some water....
Posted Image

pop him in...
Posted Image
And into the water cup....
Posted Image

All done.... the nice thing here is, you pop him into a window sill and he'll continue along on his mery way... as he comes to term, the pollen will collect in the bottome of the cup, a tap or 2 every so often can speed the process.... let him go as long as you wish to collect or he finishes....
Collect it all in a film canister... sit it in the window sill for a day or so to make sure it's good and dry and remove the flowers with tweezers..... add some rice to keep dry for storage and you have it... life in a bottle...
Posted Image

Enjoy...

If you got any questions, ask em!
Peace

EDIT, the lower pictures do load, the above pics do not.

Attached Files

• plant boy, KaK, Itinkso and 4 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

Nice...Pics would have helped....But I get the gist.
  • plant boy and Itinkso like this

#3 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, I know, I agree. I use to keep my pics at photobucket, but I got hacked, and had to take everything down, never again! Thats why we dont allow outside hosting services to be used here. Peace
  • plant boy, Itinkso, TtownToker and 1 other like this

#4 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

And you're right that all us seed purchasers should be attempting to carry these strains into the future....not just with clones. Seeds....seeeds...and more seeds. Thats how a strain survives.
  • plant boy, Itinkso, TtownToker and 1 other like this

#5 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

OH YEAH!!! you found that one, a sham that your pics are gone but still, spend like 30min on RUI and ended totally pissed... THX video;)
  • plant boy and Itinkso like this

#6 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

hey, i gonna shot new ones for you, gonna do the insertion tomorrow on the males i had in my Floro-Veg-Box. hope i gone do it right on the first time X( ;)/> arrrr, gonna be fine, or?:D/>
  • plant boy likes this

#7 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

My wife has a trick to gathering my male pollen!
When she thinks I am getting nearly ready, she just rams her finger..............

oh,,,,not that pollen? Oh, OK, sorry,
nevermind.
  • CAMSTER626, plant boy, TtownToker and 1 other like this

#8 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

eeewwwwww....
  • plant boy likes this

#9 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:47 PM

My wife has a trick to gathering my male pollen!
When she thinks I am getting nearly ready, she just rams her finger..............

oh,,,,not that pollen? Oh, OK, sorry,
nevermind.

ohhhh you dirty dirty old menj/k
  • plant boy likes this

#10 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

okay, well, with the gracious help of giggles, I not only found the pictures, but learned how to post them where I wanted them in the post too. I hope this helps you all. Peace
  • plant boy and brock 1 like this

#11 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

great stuff... i gonna copy now your procedure and get some pics too:P

#12 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

I might have to try this some day, I would love to have some new strains...like Mango Bubblegum or Blue Berry Bubblegum. I've always wanted to experiment but I think I should wait until I get a better understanding first.

#13 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

Thats the simplest technique Ive see yet. Are you no pollen will find its way back into the grow room though? If you let those spores pop indoors.....is that a risk?

#14 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

Thats the simplest technique Ive see yet. Are you no pollen will find its way back into the grow room though? If you let those spores pop indoors.....is that a risk?

well they get shrink-wrapped shut so nothing leave and you don't let them sit in the grow but on a sunny sill, that is enough and since the earth is moving they hardly get more then 12h light too if there is not to much action around;)

#15 SmokerE

SmokerE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

You can reach me at imneathlete@yahoo.com
  • plant boy likes this

#16 Guest_HighPhi_*

Guest_HighPhi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

cool vid cheers, ill give this one a go

#17 Empress Smoker

Empress Smoker

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

Noobie here, uh when do you put the pollin on the females? I assume apply with a small paint brush?

#18 Guest_HighPhi_*

Guest_HighPhi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

one method is putting all the pollen into a bag the put the bag over a flowering top and shake it around.

#19 Richard Owl Mirror

Richard Owl Mirror

Teaching to grow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Is there ANYWHERE I can purchase different strains of Male Pollen for Breeding purposes ?

Would it make sense to distribute Male Pollen to the consumer ?
Are there any seed banks out there which collect True Male Pollen, not feminized/hybridized/forced sex pollen but, True Male Pollen ?

I would think there would be a ready market if it existed .

#20 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

there is no market that I know of - but I think there are loose networks of breeders that exchange pollen.....not something that could happen on the site or pm's on the site until such time as MJ and its users are legally liberated...part of the problem is pollen is not as hardy as seeds...it degrades fairly quickly with heat and moisture.
  • Richard Owl Mirror and plant boy like this

#21 Richard Owl Mirror

Richard Owl Mirror

Teaching to grow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

there is no market that I know of - but I think there are loose networks of breeders that exchange pollen.....not something that could happen on the site or pm's on the site until such time as MJ and its users are legally liberated...part of the problem is pollen is not as hardy as seeds...it degrades fairly quickly with heat and moisture.

I guess I need a whole new set of friends ;>}
I have collected some pollen from the plant I have yet, it would appear this pollen might transfer the Hermi trait along.
I have removed the plant from the grow room and will allow her to die off near the window. I have taken a few clones I have from the same plant and placed them under the lights.
I hope the male sacks were a result of stress and these clones taken prior to flowering will be female.
I guess I need to study up on the various breeders/seed banks so I can determine who to buy from.
I had heard Hemp Depot was a reliable company so that is why I bought from them. It seems many of the real good seed banks do not ship to the USA.

#22 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

Marijuana Seeds (cannabis Seeds) High Quality Low Prices a great source for quality genetics at unaffordable (lol) prices
  • plant boy likes this

#23 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5521 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

I guess I need a whole new set of friends ;>}
I have collected some pollen from the plant I have yet, it would appear this pollen might transfer the Hermi trait along.
I have removed the plant from the grow room and will allow her to die off near the window. I have taken a few clones I have from the same plant and placed them under the lights.
I hope the male sacks were a result of stress and these clones taken prior to flowering will be female.
I guess I need to study up on the various breeders/seed banks so I can determine who to buy from.
I had heard Hemp Depot was a reliable company so that is why I bought from them. It seems many of the real good seed banks do not ship to the USA.

thats it, best if you get regular seeds next time. that way not only can you practice with breeding and crossing (which is one hell of a great hobby by the way) you also end up with your own unlimited supply of seeds. then you can start playing around with strains you like.

also reading 'normal' books on gardening and plant breeding from local libraries gives you a good base of green thumb knowledge on which you can then build an expertise in cannabis. all the same rules apply. but around 90% of all plants on earth are hermies by nature. cannabis, hops and a few others make up the remaining 10 percent.

anyway. just get some normal straight seeds. stay away from the fems just so that you can get the hang of things. even try bag seed. its normally some decent strain anyway. and its free.

peace
AND ABOVE ALL HAVE FUN.
ileso
  • Richard Owl Mirror and plant boy like this

#24 Richard Owl Mirror

Richard Owl Mirror

Teaching to grow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

thats it, best if you get regular seeds next time. that way not only can you practice with breeding and crossing (which is one hell of a great hobby by the way) you also end up with your own unlimited supply of seeds. then you can start playing around with strains you like.

also reading 'normal' books on gardening and plant breeding from local libraries gives you a good base of green thumb knowledge on which you can then build an expertise in cannabis. all the same rules apply. but around 90% of all plants on earth are hermies by nature. cannabis, hops and a few others make up the remaining 10 percent.

anyway. just get some normal straight seeds. stay away from the fems just so that you can get the hang of things. even try bag seed. its normally some decent strain anyway. and its free.

peace
AND ABOVE ALL HAVE FUN.
ileso

I'm not sure if I was unclear in my comments but, I did not have FEM seeds.
Here is what I was growing.
Marijuana Cannabis seeds at Hemp Depot Shipped Worldwide

This is a hybrid of two pure Afghan populations. The ‘Pure Afghan’ seeds were obtained by a private contractor while doing soils research in Afghanistan. The seeds were collected directly from a hashish farmer, and smuggled back for us to look through. We found the plants to be relatively stable, but we wanted a slightly earlier selection so we crossed the best females with our select Deep Chunk pollen, to add some genetic diversity and western improved characteristics, all the while keeping the line true to its afghan heritage.

Seeds are sold as novelty items or collectables.
No guarantee on germination or amount of females.

Right now the original plant is sitting near a window and I put three clones I took prior to flowering under my lights.
Hopefully, if it was due to something i did to stress her, these clones won't have that problem.
There is one thing I did that might have cause her to Hermi.
I'm not sure if this was harmful but, I was told to use a mixture of White Willow powder in my normal watering. It apparently contains a chemical that spurs root growth.
Something about Auxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A plant hormone ~ Auxins play an essential role in coordination of many growth and behavioral processes in the plant life cycle.

Anyone have info on this ?

#25 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

auxins are a group of plant hormones that can do all kinds of things but you don't want them added to plants you plan to eat or smoke
  • plant boy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users