Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Can someone please tell me what is happening to my plants?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

I have 5 different strains growing and all but one strain (Blue Hash) have very sick leaves, some worse than others: I have 5 different strains growing and all but one strain (Blue Hash) have very sick leaves, some worse than others: [ATTACH]299126[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]299127[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]299128[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]299129[/ATTACH] The last picture is of a blue cheese plant (so far, my fav!), which is in vegg. I have about 10 plants, which showed this sickness as soon as they went into flowering, I picked all or most of the leaves off, but withing the last few days, the sickness has come back(they are now in their 3rd week of flowering.) I'd show pics of the plantss in my flowering room, but for some reason my phone cam is not responding well to the 2-600W HPS lights (getting lines through the pictures) I have great air flow now, have been using ocean forest as a medium and full line of foxfarm nutes. Could some one please help save these? I dont know if tyhis is disease, nute burn or what, but would love to know. Thank you all!! The last picture is of a blue cheese plant (so far, my fav!), which is in vegg. I have about 10 plants, which showed this sickness as soon as they went into flowering, I picked all or most of the leaves off, but withing the last few days, the sickness has come back(they are now in their 3rd week of flowering.) I'd show pics of the plantss in my flowering room, but for some reason my phone cam is not responding well to the 2-600W HPS lights (getting lines through the pictures) I have great air flow now, have been using ocean forest as a medium and full line of foxfarm nutes. Could some one please help save these? I dont know if tyhis is disease, nute burn or what, but would love to know. Thank you all!!

Attached Files

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

Give me as much info as you can, col. And I will check out a few things and come back...the more you tell me, the better I can help you.

jangel

How to Get Help with your Plants the easy way!

We can help you find the answers to your questions easier and the

RIGHT answer if you will do this:

When asking a question state the

grow type.....and answer these questions:

1. Soil or Hydro ???

Hydro

~ state what System

type of Water used ~THIS IS IMPORTANT!

~For Both types of grows

~ House water ~ Reverse Osmosis ~ or Distilled

PH & PPM’S, and water Temps (especailly important in Hydro)

Soil grows

~ state what soil is used and additives to the soil

2.Temps & Humidity

3. Lights ~ HID (MH or HPS) or cfl’s or T-5’s etc.

4. Ventilation System {fresh air}{CO2}

5. Nutrients used ~ Brands and amount used.

6. Indoor or Outdoor Grow

7. Pixs ~ if you can post they always help us see what it is,

*****(Good link to help you post pics~
Resizing your photos with power toys)

Resizing Your Photos with PowerToys.. ******

8. Strain if they know~ Indica ~ Sativa ~ Bagseed???

9. How old the plant is.

10. Seed or Clone? Sexed? Feminized?
  • col.forbin likes this

#3 Guest_alldayeducation_*

Guest_alldayeducation_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

um dude u should flush them with pure water.... it looks like nute burn feed only water for a few weeks ,, when u give them nutes give them like a quarter dose then water , water , feed and water, water feed then bump up to hafe does......although it looks like ur plants could have a bad case of spidermites get a peice of white paper , hold it under ur plant then shake ur plant untill u get some stuff on ur paper if u c lots of moving little black specs u have spider mites.......or it could be ur 600 hps lamps are to close ,, are they air cooled,, and how many cfm is ur inline fan,,,or are you even cooling them with a inline fan.... if ur not coolin ur lights with a inline fan to exaust that hot air out of ur room , and ur just using fans to " circulate" the air then ur lights are way to close and its way to hot in there if u have a good inline fan u suckin on ur lights they can be as close as 12 inchs from the tops of plants u need to put a temp gauge at the top of ur plants to c what the temps are

#4 anothertime

anothertime

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

from looking at your pics that is the result of big ph swings,it looks similar to mag deficiency,but my money would go on ph swings.good luck with your grow. definitely not nute burn as it starts on the outer edges of the leaves.
  • jangel, CAMSTER626 and col.forbin like this

#5 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

Thanks again jangel: Im growing in FoxFarm Ocean Forest Soil, under 600w hps. The water is tap water, but where I live the PH is great. Temps are around 81 F, although I have an a/c window ubnit which keeps it at 75-77F when on. Ventilation: I dont have co2, I have a 445 CFM for my intake (sucking air straight from outside) and another 445 cfm fan which is sitting on a charcoal filter and used as my exhaust (into a wall) Nutes: All Fox Farm- Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz and chaching. Strains are mostly 75% ind/ 25% Sat. Ihave Blue Hash, Blue Cheese(Barney's), Gigabud, moby dick and white widow, all from Dinafem, a spanish seed co. These plants which are in their 3rd week of flowering are all clones. The only plant which ive noticed that has had a fucked up leaf or two at all times since being 2 weeks old from seed is the Barney farm blue cheese. Let me know if u need any other info, thanks again

#6 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

I beleive that anothertime is right. i have problems with mag/cal all the time becuase I use RO water, and it has none in it. Here is what I found.

Magnesium

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

A magnesium deficient plant is identified by intervenial chlorosis, necrosis, and eventually a lockout of plant nutrients. The problems starts at the bottom of the plants and works itís way up.
Chlorophyll has the same structure as Hemoglobin, except that it has a magnesium atom in place of the Iron atom. Chlorophyll is how plants make sugars to feed the process of building ATP through the Krebs cycle.
Treating with an Epsom salts mix will clear this right up.

:Let me know what you are feeding your plants, what kind of water you are using. House, Reverse osmosis or distilled and that should tell us, as well what is the ph of your water if you are using house water? That too can lockout nutes. If you have epsom salts mix up a teaspoon per liter of water and foliar spray the plants for a fast fix then try and correct the problem on a larger scale. Check your tap water ph, if using filter or distilled water get some mag/cal and use it every watering. That is what I do and one little jug, I think it was 18 bucks, will last quite a while. You can also add epsom salts to the watering water as well. For watering, 1 teaspoon per gallon.

Peace

Attached Files

• jointsallday likes this

#7 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Maybe they need a flush, col. Have your ph'ed the water lately? What is the ph? ...just for shits and giggles that is...

Take a look through this forum and this post

Sick plant charts

and see if you can see anything else it looks like. I think it is mag/cal.

Have you ever ph'ed your water after you add your nutes to it? Or the runnoff from your plants? Something is hinky, there sweetie.

It is a lockout.
  • col.forbin likes this

#8 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

Wow, I dont know how I left this out, but the PH seems to be fine- right at 6.5. I never tested the water straight from the tap, just stuck the meter in soil before and after I added nutes. The lowest ive seen PH is 6.0. Also, it doesnt seem that this is starting at bottom, it actually seems to be starting at top! Also, dont know if I failed to mention, but the blue hash plants look healthy as can be, and the Moby Dicks are health compared to the other. So, my question is: why am I not seeing this in all plants? I guess because some strains are hardier than others?

#9 Guest_operator1_*

Guest_operator1_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

it doesn't look like mites to me, I had them on my last grow and after I found out what to look for it was plain as day what it was. I would go with a good flush, at least three times the water that the container would hold if it were empty (1 gallon bucket gets three gallons of flush) and give it a couple days. How often were you feeding? It could be something simple, but doesn't look like nute burn like jangle said. hmmm... I would listen to jangle on this one as he has much more experience than I. Maybe a booster additive with plain water like super thrive or something.

#10 anothertime

anothertime

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

Wow, I dont know how I left this out, but the PH seems to be fine- right at 6.5. I never tested the water straight from the tap, just stuck the meter in soil before and after I added nutes. The lowest ive seen PH is 6.0.

Also, it doesnt seem that this is starting at bottom, it actually seems to be starting at top!

Also, dont know if I failed to mention, but the blue hash plants look healthy as can be, and the Moby Dicks are health compared to the other. So, my question is: why am I not seeing this in all plants? I guess because some strains are hardier than others?

in soil both the water and nute mix and the runoff must both be monitored for ph problems,jangel may be right here with a mag def.but still i think its either a ph problem or a chlorine problem some city water now has a additive that replaces the chlorine(cant think of the name off hand)but on other forms ive visited in the past someone had plants similar to you and that was the problem he reported back with.on line if you are using city water try finding your water plant and see what your water contains.
  • jangel likes this

#11 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

Wow, I dont know how I left this out, but the PH seems to be fine- right at 6.5. I never tested the water straight from the tap, just stuck the meter in soil before and after I added nutes. The lowest ive seen PH is 6.0.

Also, it doesnt seem that this is starting at bottom, it actually seems to be starting at top!

Also, dont know if I failed to mention, but the blue hash plants look healthy as can be, and the Moby Dicks are health compared to the other. So, my question is: why am I not seeing this in all plants? I guess because some strains are hardier than others?

Col, you can never get an accurate reading on your ph by putting the ph meter into the soil. To messure the ph of your soil, water well, and save the last bit of runnoff. Test this bit to get an idea of what your soil ph is. I know FF soils are good soils. Have you ph'ed your watering mixture with nutes? Different varieties of mj have different needs. I know I have one type that is very sensitive. First to wilt, first to show it is hungry, first to show if it is over fed. Just because the others are okay now does not mean they will stay this way. Also test your water right out of the tap. This is important.

Anothertime sounds like he is right on the money.

One other thing: ...but I damn well forgot what it was....I will be back. ...l...fugggin stoners! The name of the chemical, anothertime, is chloramine.....

OH! Okay, see what your local area uses for your water. Many different regions have changed to chloramines to purify water and this is not disappated by letting the water sit out. I am sure you should be able to find out on line what is used in your region. Something is locking out nutes in your plants. I would advise you to flush them, but do it with maybe some Reverse Osmosis water. You can get a jug or two of it lots of places, wallmart, grocery stores, etc. And see if this makes a difference.

Let me know how it works. I would also try foliar feeding them with some epsom salts to see if this helps. Do this just before lights on, or at least out of the direct light so it does not burn your plants.

Peace
  • CAMSTER626 and col.forbin like this

#12 Guest_SomeDude_*

Guest_SomeDude_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

super easy to cook your babies with bloom big

#13 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Check this out....

Posted Image

I beleive you still have a ph problem, Col. You must test your tap water, right out of the tap, as well
as your nutes, mixed, and your soil runnoff. This will lock out phospherous, calcium, and magniesium, and other needed nutes.

All of the signs are there. Do the tests and get back to us, sweetie. Also might be over feeding.

Peace
  • CAMSTER626 likes this

#14 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

Col. Don't know what state you live in, but here in the NW we have a plant disease called "Rust"...looks just like what you have there. Try a spray with Serenade..it'll stop the Rust from spreading. Cut off all the bad leaves and destroy them away from the grow. Use Serenade carefully, and try not to spray very young plants as it can slow their growth (from my own experience). Good stuff though, but don't overdo. Just give them a good spraying on the top and bottom of the leaves. Cut off the bad leaves and soon enough all your plants will be happy once again..:cool: Could also be a nute issue. Do you have a PPM meter? If so, at what level (PPM's) are you feeding the plants? FF can be "Hot" stuff, and I rarely (if ever) feed as per the directions. FWIW.. ISO

#15 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Well, I meausred the PH out of the faucet and its a solid 6.4. I just watered plants, but did not feed, but did measure runoff and it seemed fine-6.5. I live in midwest usa, and I was also thinking the same about rust spots. Here are more pics I just took. The first pics are of leaves from a plant in vegg room: [ATTACH]38912[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]38913[/ATTACH] And this plant is being affected at the top, in a very bad way. Here are pics from flower room. Although flower and vegg are in same room, I have black and white poly seperating the two. (to block light from getting in flowering room). Here are the pics-the first 2 are from same plant, the third a different: Attached File  Giga- 1 flower.jpg   11.45KB   8 downloads Attached File  Giga- 2 - flower.jpg   12.6KB   5 downloads Attached File  Moby.jpg   15.96KB   7 downloads So, is it possible its anything else besides nute related or ph, jangel or 1sttimer? Ive been reading up and will continue. Will keep you posted.....thanks everyone!
  • jangel likes this

#16 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

I guess 1st pics didnt come through, again, these are plants that are in vegg room, but really being affected badly, especially upper part of plant: Attached File  bluecheese-vegg1.jpg   13.84KB   11 downloads Attached File  Bluecheese-vegg2.jpg   11.36KB   7 downloads

#17 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

In that last pic it looks like you can almost scrape it off....can you? If so, it is rust...I trust ISO with my life, so I would look into that. Rust is a a form of a fungas I think.
  • ISO2BWELL and col.forbin like this

#18 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

Here is what I found on wiki about it.

Rust (Plant fungas) wikipedia

Do you have roses, a garden, anything like that near your grow or your air intake?

Rust is quite commen on roses.

Peace

#19 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

Here is what I found on wiki about it.

Rust (Plant fungas) wikipedia

Do you have roses, a garden, anything like that near your grow or your air intake?

Rust is quite commen on roses.

Peace

Thanks for looking that up, ive found some of the same info...im thinking maybe i have rust and mag/cal def on seperate plants. I just talked to a local hydro shop owner, he thinks possibly the same. I guess ill go with botanicare cal/mag supplement and buy some garden fungicide II or serenade for the possible rust infestation. By the way, no rose garden that I know of, but there are a shitload of tress right next to window.

Question: Does anyone know what rust spots do to a plant if its not taken care of right away? I asking because it could help me determine if its two different problems, or maybe a later stage of rust or something else.......thanks

#20 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Col,

RUST can really damage the leaves on a plant, and it killed one of my favorite mother plants a couple years back as I didn't know what the hell it was at the time.

The Serenade is available damn near anywhere that sells gardening stuff, and it does a good job. I take the plants out of the grow room to spray them, as the stuff can get stinky..LOL

Serenade Garden Disease Control - Safe, Effective, Organic Control of Fungal and Bacterial Diseases

It's safe to use on the plants, and gets rid of the Rust for good. The sick leaves will not heal, so they can just be cut off so the plant doesn't keep trying to make them better. Using rubber gloves is also a good idea. I got some of the Serenade on me the first time I used it, and it did give me an itchy rash for a day.

Rust is insidious stuff, btw, so expect that every so often (it's worst in the Fall) you'll have some Rust spots show up on a plant. Just give it a whack with the Serenade and you're good to go.

ISO

p.s.: The Serenade is also great for Powdery Mildew..:)
  • jangel, col.forbin and jointsallday like this

#21 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Muchly ISO. Nice to have you around sweetie. Peace

#22 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Col,

RUST can really damage the leaves on a plant, and it killed one of my favorite mother plants a couple years back as I didn't know what the hell it was at the time.

The Serenade is available damn near anywhere that sells gardening stuff, and it does a good job. I take the plants out of the grow room to spray them, as the stuff can get stinky..LOL

Serenade Garden Disease Control - Safe, Effective, Organic Control of Fungal and Bacterial Diseases

It's safe to use on the plants, and gets rid of the Rust for good. The sick leaves will not heal, so they can just be cut off so the plant doesn't keep trying to make them better. Using rubber gloves is also a good idea. I got some of the Serenade on me the first time I used it, and it did give me an itchy rash for a day.

Rust is insidious stuff, btw, so expect that every so often (it's worst in the Fall) you'll have some Rust spots show up on a plant. Just give it a whack with the Serenade and you're good to go.

ISO

p.s.: The Serenade is also great for Powdery Mildew..:)

ISO,

Wow, I wish I would have read this reply 30 min ago-my room smells like.....,vinegar or some sort of rankness! But thank you so much for your help-I bought some concentrated serenade from my local hydro store-just applied it to a couple of vegg plants. I hoping it is rust and not cal/mag def, but I got cal/mag supplement as well. Do you remember what your leaves looked like after you went to long and rust killed your mother? Iy may help me determine if it is the rust that has almost killed my Bluecheese mom.

#23 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

In that last pic it looks like you can almost scrape it off....can you? If so, it is rust...I trust ISO with my life, so I would look into that.

Rust is a a form of a fungas I think.

I just realized you said that if you can scrape it off, it IS rust? It is not something that can be scraped off

#24 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi Col. The plant that died dis so because I tried to scrape off all the bad stuff...shakehands.gif It was very weak at the time as I had just harvested it, and wanted to re-veg her back to health. She never made it, but that was due mostly to my messing about where I shouldn't have. The leaves with the rust on them will not heal, but they shouldn't get any worse. If you can, cut them off (no sense having RUST spores around the garden area). Generally though, rust will not kill a plant. It can slow them down in growth and flowering performance due to the plant having to spend energy to fight the fungus. Hope the Serenade does the job for ya...it's good stuff (just stinky..LOL! Attached File  skunk.jpg   1.79KB   27 downloads) ISO

#25 col.forbin

col.forbin

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGamehendge

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:57 AM

Hi Col.

The plant that died dis so because I tried to scrape off all the bad stuff...shakehands.gif It was very weak at the time as I had just harvested it, and wanted to re-veg her back to health. She never made it, but that was due mostly to my messing about where I shouldn't have.

The leaves with the rust on them will not heal, but they shouldn't get any worse. If you can, cut them off (no sense having RUST spores around the garden area).

Generally though, rust will not kill a plant. It can slow them down in growth and flowering performance due to the plant having to spend energy to fight the fungus.

Hope the Serenade does the job for ya...it's good stuff (just stinky..LOL! [ATTACH]39221[/ATTACH])

ISO

Hi ISO,

Thanks for the response, heres an update:

Well, unfortunately, it may not be rust after all? So, tell me something: CAN rust be scraped off? Because this definitly cannot. The plants which I sprayed with serade about 5 dasy ago are growing these red spots on their leaves still!!! To make it worse, its all on the new growth, here are some pics I just took:

Attached File  11172009474.jpg   26.74KB   8 downloads

Attached File  11172009475.jpg   17.65KB   7 downloads

Attached File  11172009476.jpg   14.38KB   7 downloads

Attached File  11172009477.jpg   12.61KB   7 downloads

All pics are from the same plant. Dunno, maybe I left some stuff out last post? Is this possibly still rust or something else? Its not starting on the edges, but could it still be nute burn?.........:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users