36 replies to this topic

#26 aussi potter

aussi potter

Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:49 AM

yeah like every1 else im lovin the sack idae...i was looking for something big enough 2 put my plants in :animbong:.....i want 2 move them a fue months b4 a harvest justincase some1 has scoped me plants and plannin on rappin me :P....but yeah sacks should hold up good a fue months burried in the dirt yeah? and did u say plant them in the sack layin down :S?....shouldnt it b vertical?

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:58 AM

:eek:Believe it or Not I deter deer and most everything else by mixing up a fine jug of whatever my 30lb Maine Coon Cat leaves behind ( he Eats steak like a Dog) :wink:Then I spray the plots and 3 years running now i have not had one problem with deer since mowing my crop down. i hear Wolf piss works well too...:animbong:

Yeah, but only if you got no wolfs in your area, besides deer are smart and get normally used to predator odors if not attacked or otherwise spooked out, starting to ignore the sense. Once they figure that your babies are damn tasty they will be all over them and the more deer is in the area the sooner this will happen - that the cat sense is working for 3 years straight is surprising to me. I learned from hunting that deer hates one thing above all and that is any form of change, a new sense, a new sound or something that all of a sudden moves and they are gone - the only key is that you change the setup every few weeks a little bit so that they don't get used to it.
  • jangel and like this

#28 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

I picked 10 today from my local PUBLIC WORKS DEPT I told them i need some to shore up a slop area and stop soil lost
  • jangel likes this

#29 mediuse

mediuse

Words, Theory's, Idea's...I got 'em!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4529 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

I love this idea! Like another member the only other thing i would have to worry about would be the animals. Deer love eating anything green. Sometimes it's kind of hard to deter them s.o.b.'s lol

wasabi, cayenne pepper, chilliseeds or juice, black pepper and other things can be sprinkled/sprayed on or near the plants...noisemakers on tripwires or motion activated ultra high freq. alarm will keep many animals away...

muA
  • jangel likes this

#30 artistickat

artistickat

Happy Camper

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

I'm a bit confused. Do you plant them or just lay them down at the site? Are they meant to be on thier sides or standing up? This would pretty good for me in the woods as the soil is not very good...lots of clay and hard to dig. My veggie/flower gardens are all in raised beds with added topsoil. Here in the PacNW anything grows, though.

#31 Guest_Kushfiend_*

Guest_Kushfiend_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

cool idea i use a similar method and put them up in a tree at least thats the theory....hehehehehe lol

A tree grow would be awesome to try. It might be a pain to water if its a dry summer though haha, you might have to water like this lol http://www.rollitup....owing-tree.html ,but is definitely something I would like to try! Add a little more stealth to your grow haha.

#32 rtnrdny1

rtnrdny1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

:eek:Believe it or Not I deter deer and most everything else by mixing up a fine jug of whatever my 30lb Maine Coon Cat leaves behind ( he Eats steak like a Dog) :wink:Then I spray the plots and 3 years running now i have not had one problem with deer since mowing my crop down. i hear Wolf piss works well too...:rolleyes:

i've also had a big problem outdoors with furry critters destroying my girls by nibblin and diggin. extremely dank kitty litter works best for me. i read it on an ecofriendly garden post and the theory was that feline smell is a real deterrent. it has produced the best results for me. rod.

#33 frazzledmom

frazzledmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

I really like the idea of the burlap. . . not seeing a reason to sew it into shape. All you would need to do is cut it into a lg. circle, and make a loose tie at the edges. As you fill the "bag", it takes shape on it's own. I remember my grandparents doing this with trees and the like years ago. Makes the filling process a bit more awkward, but takes the sewing time out of it. Good luck with this. Not sure I will use this method to plant, as my greenhouse has a rock floor. My girls won't have anywhere to continue rooting as they out grow the burlap.
  • jangel likes this

#34 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

I really like the idea of the burlap. . . not seeing a reason to sew it into shape. All you would need to do is cut it into a lg. circle, and make a loose tie at the edges. As you fill the "bag", it takes shape on it's own. I remember my grandparents doing this with trees and the like years ago. Makes the filling process a bit more awkward, but takes the sewing time out of it. Good luck with this. Not sure I will use this method to plant, as my greenhouse has a rock floor. My girls won't have anywhere to continue rooting as they out grow the burlap.

Welcome to GreenPassion! Love your name and boy have I felt like that too!

Nice to meet you....great point on the bags. You are right. You could do it very easily with twine and a big sail needle.

Peace

#35 RagingBud

RagingBud

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

This is a great idea. I was so inspired that i went scouting in the woods a little today.
  • jangel, Bueller and DogFaceDude like this

#36 filthyrichs

filthyrichs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouthern man

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

I got my burlap bags from the seafood store. They get they're oysters that way. Rinse them off real, real good. I made little chicken wire and burlap planters about eight inches in diameter and fifteen inches deep. Put six of those in a back-pack and away you go.
  • jangel likes this

#37 filthyrichs

filthyrichs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouthern man

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

I too have thought of the tree plantings. You gotta have some monkey blood inya. If you do it you would need to run a small black hose to it. One way to water and feed would be to carry a bucket of water to the foot of the tree and use a cordless drill with a little water pump attachment. Better would be a close water source. But I stopped climbing trees when I started falling out of them. Haha
  • jangel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users