15 replies to this topic

#1 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

Can one of you wonderful people please explain your process of leaching your soil.

Any special mix used or justy plain ole tap water?

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Do you mean flushing?

#3 ClosetDWC

ClosetDWC

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationMendocino county Cali

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

leaching is soaking the soil to drian the salts out of it ....... soak the soil.

#4 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Thanks, D-Dub....Just a few more questions before I go running off screwing things up...
Should I set the pot/bag into a tub containing plain water or something? How deep? Bottom few inches? Ph'd water? Is there anything I could/should add to the water it'll soak in? Afterwards...feed as normal or diluted strength? Details would be a great help.

#5 Guest_2stoned_*

Guest_2stoned_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

whenever i leech i stick my plants under the faucet...an run the water untill it comes out clear...let sit about 30min befor putting it back in the grow cab..just me tho..peace

#6 ClosetDWC

ClosetDWC

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationMendocino county Cali

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

lol sorry bout that at work just threw out a general direction for ppl to start in.i would definatly use ph'd water that has been brought to room temp and i would saturate the soil all the way through what this is doing is drawing"leaching" the salts out of the soil kind of like changing the water in a fish tank ... just getting rid of the bad stuff. i would recommend doing this in a tub or out side you want let a good amount drain all the way through the soil out the bottom mabey a gallon or two ... never messured but the principal is you are just trying to get the salts out or a good portion of them . i couldnt really find a good guide on this but i will keep looking for ya.

#7 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

Thanks again...It sounds alot like a simple flush. I thought leaching was different. If I pour water through the soil that would be flushing IMO.

Soaking the pot in water like you said using a tub sounds like something different. Im off to find more info as well. Post if you find it before I do. Appreciate the help....You too 2stoned.

#8 Guest_2stoned_*

Guest_2stoned_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

ya leeching an flushing are basiclly the same..ecxept with leeching you would continue to only use r/o water for about a week....this removes most if not all built up salts..peace 2

#9 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

Flushing and leaching are not the same thing at all.
They sound simular at first, but serve two very different purposes.

Flushing is to feed your plants only water for the last week or so of it's life, so that it uses up the nutrients stored, this way the plant will have a better taste when smoked.

Leaching is done to remove salt buildup around the roots. So that the plant may better take up all the nutrients it needs during it's growth stage.

Here is a good article explaing leaching.
http://www.greenpass...hlight=flushing
Peace

ya leeching an flushing are basiclly the same..ecxept with leeching you would continue to only use r/o water for about a week....this removes most if not all built up salts..peace 2

#10 Guest_MrsLizard27_*

Guest_MrsLizard27_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

I understand the need for flushing during the last week or two of flowering. But what I don't understand is the need for leaching. When and why would leaching be necessary? Is this done when lockup of nutrients is suspected?

#11 *GreenPassion*

*GreenPassion*

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hey mrs lizard.....
Here is my take on both, flushing or leaching.
When I flush at the end of a grow, I switch to molasses instead of nutes or plain water. This will feed the soil, and give you a nicer smoother smoke. Not to mention a little extra weight.

So far as leaching is concerned, it was previuously believed that only chemically grown plants need to be leached. This is not true. All soil grows need to be leached.
The nutrients leave behind a salt build up, which over time lowers the level of nutes allowed to be taken up by the roots.

I wouldn't wait until I suspected it, I would just plan on doing it every two to three weeks during flowering. Do not use water from the hot side of your faucet either.
Only cold water, PH'd and allowed to sit.

Leaching washes the roots clean again.
Try reading this, although a little dated, it still applies.
http://www.greenpassion.org/1345.html

#12 Guest_MrsLizard27_*

Guest_MrsLizard27_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

Thanks GP, very informative read! Just when I thought I knew all the basics......I guess I'd better keep reading :party time: :rock on:

#13 Guest_StillSmoking_*

Guest_StillSmoking_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:53 AM

I found a really good diagram instructional on leaching. Cant remember where now. But i use that principal when leaching. Pretty much the same as everyone else. I have a 25 litre pot with my plant in it. From the top of the soil to the top of the pot i have about 3-4 inches . I ph my water to 5.5 and let it sit for a while. I get it all ready the day before so its all room temp. I just pour 8 litres of water into plant pot and then the next can and the next. It all drains out the bottom of my pot through the hose and outside it goes.

#14 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

Even superman leaches his plants periodically
Posted Image

#15 midgradeindasouth

midgradeindasouth

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

Supeman!! I have found it is essential to leach. If you don't you will lock out the nutes.. It is kinda like fighting a loosing battle if you don't. This much I have learned. I did not flush on my last 2 grows. I did but not like I want to on this current one. I also seem to have learned to listen to the plants. They do talk you know.

#16 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:59 AM

FWIW, it was my first time leaching too, but after the 4th plant it all fell into place.

See if this helps ya.

http://www.greenpass...read.php?t=1949

Since I had 2 plants that were sucking down fluids as fast as I could throw it at them, I didn't leach those two, and now their leached pals are outgrowing them in the bud dept.

ISO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users