19 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi folks,got a problem,so here goes Strain-Honey B,100% Sativa. Soil-Growmoor multipurpose compost(no nutes). Timescale-3 weeks since the seed popped. Light-125 watt vegging CFL. Location-In the old wardrobe again as per my last bunch of lovelies. Ventilation-Doors open all through lights on,closed when lights off. Temps-75-80 F. As you can see from the pics,the fan leaves on the bottom are turning brown and curling up,as are the next pair up the plant,although they've just started today. I've looked all over GP for answers in similar posts but can't find anything.Also checked every diagnostic thread I could find,Stitch's guide etc and still nothing. I'm sure someone must have seen it before. Thanks in advance,Tumnus. t

Attached Files

Edited by Mr Tumnus, 24 August 2009 - 10:57 AM.
forgot to add pics

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

Your pics did not post Mr.Tumnus. Try again and I will take a look sweetie..... Could be that it is just the bottom leaves and they are done with them now. So they do dry up and fall off, that is quite normal. Peace
  • Mr Tumnus likes this

#3 Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thanks j-angel,had to go in and edit the post,should be ok now.
  • jangel likes this

#4 Shinningwind

Shinningwind

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

It could be the compost is to hot...? Maybe. Did you mix anything in with it...?
  • Mr Tumnus likes this

#5 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

I think the leaves are just done, sweetie.....they are three fingered as well. When new leaves start pushing out, the old ones die. It looks like those are some of the first leaves so I don't think you have a problem. The new growth looks just fine, so not to worry. Keep an eye on them, and let us know if there are more troubles. Peace
  • Mr Tumnus likes this

#6 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

You do not have any perlite in there or vermiculite. It also looks very wet. Next time you pot those on, add about 30 to 40% perlite to your mix. That could also be the problem, if there is one. If they are soaked for a long time, take for ever to dry and don't grow fast, it could be because there is not enough air in the soil. This is why you need perlite or vermiculite in your mix. Keep us posted.
  • Mr Tumnus and DEBhasgrn like this

#7 Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

It could be the compost is to hot...? Maybe. Did you mix anything in with it...?

Hi Shinningwind,I mixed in some water retaining gel pellets,but no nutes or additives of any kind.Actually now that I think of it,the problem was there before I re-potted,into that soil.Cheers Tumnus.nailbiting.gif

#8 Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

You do not have any perlite in there or vermiculite. It also looks very wet. Next time you pot those on, add about 30 to 40% perlite to your mix. That could also be the problem, if there is one. If they are soaked for a long time, take for ever to dry and don't grow fast, it could be because there is not enough air in the soil. This is why you need perlite or vermiculite in your mix.

Keep us posted.

Hi j-angel,the babies only been in that soil for about a week now.I think the damage was done before re-potting,so I think I'll go buy some more perlite(ran out doh!)and pull her,mix up some fresh and start over with her.Cheers,Tumnus.nailbiting.gif
  • jangel likes this

#9 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Okay, well, my plants look like heck before repotting. That could be the problem. Check the plant by the new growth, not the old growth and that all looks healthy so just be careful.
  • Mr Tumnus likes this

#10 Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

I think the leaves are just done, sweetie.....they are three fingered as well. When new leaves start pushing out, the old ones die. It looks like those are some of the first leaves so I don't think you have a problem. The new growth looks just fine, so not to worry. Keep an eye on them, and let us know if there are more troubles.

Peace

Hi j-angel,the pics really aint that good.The leaves are five fingered not three,does that make a difference? The first leaves and the early three fingered ones have been nipped off,and the discolouration is working it's way up,The ones above the really bad ones pictured are browning at the tips and so are the leaves above those,Cheers,Tumnus.

#11 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

Are there any nutes in the soil mix you have? It should say on the bag. Also, are you letting them get almost bone dry between waterings? How old are the plants? I don't know about the water pellets you put in. It could be keeping them too wet. They work well for outdoor plants, but I would not use them for indoor plants. A good, cheap moisture meter that is avalable from most places they sell gardening or houseplant supplies works well to let you know when to water. Where the plants rootbound when you originally transplanted them?
  • Mr Tumnus likes this

#12 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:44 AM

If I understand correctly, you.re using the Growmoor mix with no nutrients. Unless you've added some since you started I'd say those kids are hungry. Also, the water gel pellets are not recommended for inside use as, they are promoters of mold and can cause root rot.
  • jangel, Mr Tumnus and siriguejo like this

#13 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

If I understand correctly, you.re using the Growmoor mix with no nutrients. Unless you've added some since you started I'd say those kids are hungry. Also, the water gel pellets are not recommended for inside use as, they are promoters of mold and can cause root rot.

That is where I was headed, just using more words as women tend to do! LOL! nailbiting.gif

Thanks zig! chimplaughing.gif
  • Zigzagman and Mr Tumnus like this

#14 Guest_dankstarr_*

Guest_dankstarr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

It seem to me that the bottom leaves tend to do that.... they die first.. I just pull them off and grow on.. sometimes when you water the bottom leaves will droop into the soil and rot, or die .. thats what it looks like to me.. just me

#15 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

It seem to me that the bottom leaves tend to do that.... they die first.. I just pull them off and grow on.. sometimes when you water the bottom leaves will droop into the soil and rot, or die .. thats what it looks like to me.. just me

I agree, the leaf thing is normal. The issue here, being that plants need nutrients and the Growmoor is a soil less mix that has given up whatever it had by now. I'm betting that baby is begging for a shot of nitrogen. Actually, with soil less mixes, you have to add everything, especially your micros. That's why I use about 25% soil in my mixes, makes for a friendlier bacterial environment.
  • jangel and Mr Tumnus like this

#16 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

checked your pH lately?
  • Mr Tumnus likes this

#17 Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hi folks,thanks for the input.I'll try to get through all the points in one go. There's no nutes since re-potting about a week ago,problem showed up before,thats one of the reasons I re potted,thought it might be nute burn,got rid of all old soil from roots and put her(I hope)in Growmoor,which has no additives at all. She is allowed to get bone dry between waterings. The problem was there before I put her in soil with water retaining pellets. She wasn't rootbound before re-potting She is around 41/2to 5 weeks(just checked with the misses to be on the safe side) Her leaves have never drooped on to the soil(I wouldn't allow it,I plant deep but not too deep,so as to avoid it.I learned a lot from you guys last time out) P.H is 7. My last babies lost early leaves,thats why I joined GP and recieved all the help I did,so I was expecting it,but this looks totally different.They cracked and dried up,turned yellow and curled under,these are going brown and curling up. So there it is in a rather enormous nutshell.Oh got rid of water pellets,re-potted in Growmoor+ 40% Perlite.Hope this helps,Cheers Tumnus.:) ps, nutes before original re-potting into Growmoor with water pellets etc ,was 1/4 strength N-P-K 22-8-16 (not miracle-gro lol) fed twice,4 days between feeds.

#18 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:04 AM

I would let her rest for a few days, sweetie...she has been through a lot for this week. Just let her grow and take off the bad leaves. Then see how the new leaves come in. Yes, give her a 1/4 strength food, when she shows some new growth. You don't want to feed an inactive plant as this could burn her. Just let her get used to her new home first, then feed it. I am sure with the new change, she will come around. Peace
  • Mr Tumnus likes this

#19 Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Yea,I think thats what I'll do.Will keep you posted if any other nasties turn up. Thanks for the advice everyone,Cheers,Tumnus.:)

#20 Freakshow

Freakshow

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

generally speaking, if the bottom leaves are yellowing, the plant is hungry. A plant that size, in a container that size should not be starving yet. I woul d throw her some gunao or some light nutes and she how she does. Also, the question of drainage was brought up. How often are you watering and are yuo saturating the soil? might be too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users