25 replies to this topic

#1 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

:frown:HA EVERYONE HOWS IT. WELL IT APPEARS THAT I HAVE A BUG PROBLEM ON MY HANDS TODAY, IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE SOME SORT OF APHIDS BUT AM UNSURE. THE BUGS ARE A TRANSLUCENT TO PAIL GREEN/YELLOW COLOR AND ARE VERY SMALL ABOUT 1/8 LONG. THEY CAN FLY AND WALK, THEY ARE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE LEAVES AND ARE MAKING WHITE SPOTS EVERYWHERE THEY GO. MY CAMERA IS DOWN RIGHT NOW SO NO PICS, I HAVE SOME SPRAY THAT SAYS IT WILL KILL THEM BUT HAVE NEVER HAD TO USE IT BEFORE SO NOT SURE IF IT SAFE. THE PRODUCTS CALL TROUNCE MADE BY SAFERS AND IT SAYS IT KILL APHIDS/WHITEFLYS/AND MITES.:oldhippy: ANY HELP GREAT APPRECIATED THANKS:banghead:shrugsmiley.gif:bonk::):):bonk: PEACE

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

How old are the plants and are they outside or inside? If they are aphids do you have ants too? I don't know that aphids fly. If they fly they might not be aphids. Also try some safer sticky traps, they are yellow and you can get little sticks that hold them in the soil or bigger ones, any flying critter sticks to them so you need less whatever to kill them. Is trounce good for food crops? and does it degrade so you can eat the crop? Be very careful. I will check back. How many do you have? Are you sure they are not whitefly? Peace
  • chunk likes this

#3 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

Ha jangel ya i am not sure what they are they could be whiteflys, the are small and they fly and they appear to be multiplying . The plants are big, about 30 inches tall and are indoor dwc style at 5 weeks old. PEACE

Attached Files

• Attached File  007.jpg   88.84KB   12 downloads

#4 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

Look on the underside of the leaves for tiny white dots. That's white fly eggs, nasty to get rid of...
  • chunk likes this

#5 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

Chunk, check this out on wikipedia and see if this is what you are seeing.

White fly widipedia
  • chunk likes this

#6 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Ha jangel thanks, my lights are off now but i think your right. Zigzagman there appears to be white dotting on the leaves that is visible from the top of the leaves but the bugs are on the top and bottom and flying around, have not seen eggs yet. Is trounce by safers good to get them and is it safe for my plants. I would like to fix this before they start to flower to much.[1 week into flowering now] peace

#7 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

I'd use Bonide " Orchard Spray" The Sulphur will inhibit the mold from growing and it has a organic pesticide to control the flys and eggs. You can get it at H.D. or Lowes garden centers.
  • jangel and chunk like this

#8 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

I would do what zig suggests. i have never had this plague so he knows more than little old me. Good luck hon. I do know that the yellow sticky traps work well as well as the spray. Also, if you see badly infected leaves with loads of eggs, better to remove them and let the plant grow a new leaf than to try and let the plant heal. I will check back sweetie. Peace
  • chunk likes this

#9 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

WELL TODAY I WILL SPRAY WILL BONIDE ORCHARD SPRAY TO TRY AND GET RID OF THE WHITE FLY. SO FAR I HAVE BEEN JUST CLEANING BY HAND TO REMOVE THE BUGS AND IT APPEARS TO BE HELPING BUT IS VERY TIME CONSUMING. HERE AER SOME NEW PICS OF A LEAF THAT THE BUGS WHERE ON, IS THIS WHITE FLY FOR SURE ANYONE[zigzagman]. THANKS PEACE

Attached Files

• Attached File  023.jpg   30.5KB   12 downloads

#10 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

You need a pic of the bug, sweetie, that could even look like a deficiancy. Do what you are doing, and keep at it. Research all you can about these things, then you will be able to fight them, the more you know about them. Get those sticky traps out there too, even fly -paper will trap them, and a traped adult cannot lay eggs so every one you trap, you will kill hundreds more. If this is a new problem then you have a chance, but get those traps in there. peace
  • chunk likes this

#11 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

Do you have a snorkel sprayer to reach the undersides throughly? You have to get 100% coverage on all leaves. If you don't kill'm all in the first 10 days, they will overrun you and their saliva will cause major molding. I lived thru my infestation, but the guy who gave me the infested clones didn't.

#12 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

Zigzagman when should i spray day/night and is it ok if it gets in the res, and you say soakem down good, do i have to wipe it off. Thank you very much for quick reply peace

#13 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

Don't go that nuts with the sprayer... I cover the medium with a drop cloth when I go gonzo with a sprayer... Spray when temp is under 80. Follow the first spray with a second 4 days later, to break their egg cycle, if you're not 100% free on day 10, hit'm one last time... If they survive that one, you have to give up and ditch'm. The white fly can develop immunity to pesticides in one generation... That gives you one shot to kill.m
  • chunk likes this

#14 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

Don't wipe off your first spray... After that you'll know if you want to wash them off.
  • chunk likes this

#15 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

Zigzagman do the lights have to be off or on thank peace

#16 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Light, so you can see... BTY a big fan will blow out all the flyers... I fly swatted those...

Edit Note...
Don't smoke anything treated in less than 7 days, that's how long it takes to become 100% inert. Read the instructions also, about mixing and cleaning off your plants.

Edited by Zigzagman, 15 July 2009 - 10:25 AM.

• chunk likes this

#17 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thanks jangel i will try and get a pic, it is difficult my camera will not clearly show the bug peace

#18 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

no worries, chunk. do what you have to and don't worry about pics. Solve the prob, then show us the corpses! :happybday:
  • chunk likes this

#19 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR THE QUICK REPLY AND HELP WITH MY WHITEFLY TROUBLE. HERE ARE SOME PICS OF THE PRODUCTS THAT WORKED FOR ME. I USE SAFES TROUNCE AND FLY STICKY STRIPS AND A VERY LARGE FAN CALLED THE ALLOHA BREEZE TO BLOW THEM AWAY. AGAIN THANKS ALL bigsmileythumbsupPEACE

Attached Files

• Attached File  001.jpg   63.45KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  016.jpg   49.79KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  017.jpg   32.48KB   3 downloads

#20 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

So it is better now chunk?

#21 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Ya you bet jangel thanks for the help i really appreciate it, you too zigzagman thank you. Peace
  • jangel likes this

#22 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

Don't stop as Zig said, you have to make sure you get all the eggs that will still hatch in time. Let us know how it goes please as this will help others with this problem as well. Peace
  • chunk likes this

#23 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hi Chuck. Trounce is identical to O. spray in active ingredients. Trounce comes with a more liberal warning, but don't believe it. It takes a week for it to break down. Happy to hear you have'm under control. Peace.

#24 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

Ya you bet zig thanks for the help, looks like i have killed them so far
  • jangel likes this

#25 chunk

chunk

DWC = BIG BUDZ!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

machine gunWELL ITS BEEN A COUPLE OF WEEKS NOW AND STILL NO SIGN OF ANY MORE WHITEFLYS. THE TROUNCE APPEARS TO REALLY WORK WELL WHEN APPLIED WITH A THICK LAYER ON ALL THE LEAFS. machine gunIT ALSO DID NOT AFFECT MY GROWTH RATE AT ALL.
  • jangel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users