Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

- - - - -

Powdery mildew back, trim leaves and start flush.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Last night in the grow room we noticed that the powdery mildew had returned. This time it was on the older plants. At day 46 I decided to trim most of the leaves, dump the reservoir and start an emergency flush. I need to get these plants out of the grow room asap so that I can use my new sulfur burner and kill anything that's airborne. I'm going to try to flush for at least several days using a flushing agent to help speed up the process. I'd rather cut the plants 5-10 days early than lose them to mildew. My room has constantly maintained humidity in the 42-48% range and the temp is 76-80 degrees. Can I do anything else to safeguard the buds during flushing and curing?

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

Can anyone tell me if this will really screw up the buds that I'm attempting to save? :D:

#3 raf33

raf33

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hi Land,have you tried to use SM-90? it's a good stuff. maybe you have some spots in the room where humidity may concentrate? or something made out of wood that may have taken some water and rottened? how is air ventilation in your grow room? do you ventilate at night? am asking cos it seems you've got very good grow conitions under control and that mildew is a surprise.I can't tell how powdery mildew will affect buds cos I always managed to kill it before it killed me but if you can't handle it within hours remove plants from the grow room and put them down otherwise it'll spread over the healthy population.and good luck :D:

#4 pine boy

pine boy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

I wish I knew what to tell you Land.Your grow is huge and I wouldnt know where to start.You might want to monitor your humidity in more places, like where the fans dont move the air. maybe cut the effected leaves off and add more fans. I wish you the best on this

#5 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hi guys, I have 5 fans that run 24/7 all at different levels. My humidity is checked in the middle of the room. There isn't anything rotten in the room and I keep it very clean. It was suggested that I buy a sulfur burner so I did and then found out you cannot use it the last 2 weeks of flowering. Once I flush these plants I'll chop them down and then start the Sulfur burner going 24/7. That should kill anything left in the room but won't harm the new plants. This is exactly why I'm growing extra plants. When I put the buds in a dark cool place to dry will the mildew start up again? I tried the water cure on a couple of buds and they look gross. Will stripping most of the leaves off of the plants effect the buds? :welcome:

#6 Hatch

Hatch

*Budmiester*tric~picr~EXTRAORDINAIRE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

I Want Pictures!!!,,Is The Humidity Spiking When The Light Are Off? We Really Need To Figure Out What Is Going On??,, If You Take To Much Off It Can Stunt Them & Slow Them Down, If You Take Them Early?,, They Just Won't Be As Potent As They Could Have Been. If The Trichomes Are Not At Least Cloudy??,,They Need More Time.

#7 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hatch, I chopped most of the fans off and started my flush. The humidity stays between 42-50% Since most of the plants were to the cloudy stage I think I'll be ok. Once these plants are out of that room I'll run the Sulfur burner 24/7 and kill this mildew. I really don't understand it. I've got really good equipment and haven't tried to cut corners at all. I could try adding a couple more fans but I already have 5. Let me know.

#8 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

"Bonide Orchard spray". 10% Sulphur, 0.25% Pyrenthrins. Apply as a topical spray and it will work every time. It can't be used within 2 weeks of a oil based treatment. Also, it takes a week for the spray to completely break down.( Don't smoke it for at least a week) Good luck with it.

#9 SmokeToLive

SmokeToLive

Baked User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

I hope something works for you. I would hate to see the crop go down this early. *fingers crossed*

#10 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hey Zig. thanks and where can I buy it? It's after 4:00 my time so still have a few hours to round it up.

#11 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Zig, I just checked with my hydro store and they don't carry it. Where did you get it?

#12 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

HD, Lowes, everywhere. It's readily available. Use a "Chemical" type hand sprayer to to get Max. particle break up, Sulpur is kinda thick...

#13 Zigzagman

Zigzagman

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

It does clean off with water real easy so, soak'm good.

#14 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

It's fine to spray on the buds also? And then by the end of a 10 day flush will it be gone from the leaves and bud? I wish I had known about this stuff yesterday. I've already trimmed a lot off the plants. I'll run down the street to HD or lowes. Thank god I live close to everything. Thanks Zig.

#15 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

So how did you solve the mildew issue? Thanks

#16 4evergreen

4evergreen

Learning from you all!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Yes Land, I agree with Lumix, we never knew the outcome! And this is a good thread a lot of members have been following it, please tell us how you solved it??? We want to learn because one day we will have the same situation Peace
  • chunk likes this

#17 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

Yes Land, I agree with Lumix, we never knew the outcome! And this is a good thread a lot of members have been following it, please tell us how you solved it???
We want to learn because one day we will have the same situation
Peace

Love to have that problem with soooo many plants,yum
I hear she's been at trimming for almost two days now :)

#18 plantmanager

plantmanager

bushpusher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

I have been going this same nightmare myself this year.I keep a very clean 6x5 12hr chamber and never had PM till i got a batch of cuttings that were infected.I have cut back ALOT of leaves and improved airflow on the last 3 crops,wiped down my room 3 times and it keeps coming back even though that strain is gone.It has now caused issues with my other strains and has had me cutting and running a week early on the more infected plants. I did try a few sprays to change/raise the PH but they don't seem to be very effective after it's got a foothold,the plant is infected long before you see the PM so it's better to use them in the veg. stage IMO. I'm now starting the use of my 'homemade' sulfur vaporizer so i hope that does the trick or i'm gonna put a bullet in my head. Here's the good news, I have still managed to always salvage the crop by trimming all the bud very well 1st and then using a drying cabinet;keeping the fan on 24hr straight the 1st day, it helps keep any mildew from gettng into the bud,no hanging of the plants at all, this would invite more PM to creep in of course. I found that as bad as it looks as long as your within 3 weeks of harvest with dense and resin coated flowers the PM will stay on the outside leaves and not affect the bud to bad and it's still very good to smoke.
  • pine boy, jangel and Lumix like this

#19 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

Land has been having some computor problems and hopefully will be back soon. Just so you know.
  • SmokeToLive likes this

#20 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

Ok, I'm back. Sorry about that but had a computer problem so wasn't able to log on for the past week. First thing that really worked was a product called Bonide Orchard Spray which was recommended by ZigZagMan. I tried the baking soda and water but didn't work as well as the Orchard spray. Soak the plants really good and the buds too. Wipe the outsides of everything in the grow room with bleach and water. Once the flowering plants are cut and out of the room you'll need a sulphur burner going 24/7 to kill the airborne spores. Mildew gets into the a/c units, your fans, dehumidifiers and anything else sitting around. When it first appeared I gave the girls a trim. Tried to remove as many fan leaves as possible in 24-48 hour stages to avoid shock. I've been cutting/trimming my first grow so should be able to fire up the burner tonight. Hope this helps. Good luck to those that have mildew....it just takes alot of extra time.

#21 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

Ok, I'm back. Sorry about that but had a computer problem so wasn't able to log on for the past week. First thing that really worked was a product called Bonide Orchard Spray which was recommended by ZigZagMan. I tried the baking soda and water but didn't work as well as the Orchard spray. Soak the plants really good and the buds too. Wipe the outsides of everything in the grow room with bleach and water. Once the flowering plants are cut and out of the room you'll need a sulphur burner going 24/7 to kill the airborne spores. Mildew gets into the a/c units, your fans, dehumidifiers and anything else sitting around. When it first appeared I gave the girls a trim. Tried to remove as many fan leaves as possible in 24-48 hour stages to avoid shock. I've been cutting/trimming my first grow so should be able to fire up the burner tonight. Hope this helps. Good luck to those that have mildew....it just takes alot of extra time.

Welcome back!
Did you take pictures of your latest harvest a hanging yet? :D:

#22 Guest_majix_*

Guest_majix_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

i had powder midew BAD a couple times, it doesnt rot the bud but it does cover the leaves so the dont get as much light and dont get bigger, it smokes alright, just dont smoke your "hippie crack" from your buster,lol i found funginex for roses works good, and finding a mold resistant strain, Mr. nice is a good strain, can have a powder mildew infected plant touching it and it wont get it

#23 Lumix

Lumix

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:53 AM

i had powder midew BAD a couple times, it doesnt rot the bud but it does cover the leaves so the dont get as much light and dont get bigger, it smokes alright, just dont smoke your "hippie crack" from your buster,lol
i found funginex for roses works good, and finding a mold resistant strain, Mr. nice is a good strain, can have a powder mildew infected plant touching it and it wont get it

Thanks for your input

#24 Hatch

Hatch

*Budmiester*tric~picr~EXTRAORDINAIRE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

Well, How Was Your First Harvest???????,,Been Wondering Where You Were.. Hope Things Are Clearing Up For Ya. Check Ya Later,,Cheers`;`Hatch`;`

#25 Guest_land of the free_*

Guest_land of the free_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

First harvest took a very looooong time to trim. I trimmed everything off down to the bud so don't have any stems on the drying screens. Ended up 183.4 ounces from 35 plants. Now when that shrinks by 75% :D: I don't know if that was a very good yield or not. It does fill the requirements for my group of 30 so that's all that really matters. I did discover that trimming isn't my idea of a good time. The Trim Reaper is now at the top of my "MUST HAVE" list. :D:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users