60 replies to this topic

#1 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

Im seriously debating on trying my hand at hydro this next grow. so what i need to know is, can you all suggest a good pre-built system or advise me on a way to build my own system.. thanks.
  • jangel likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

The DWC is a great way to grow.I like the EBB&FLOOD trays,But the dwc is easy and The Rosman can and will help you with any of your questons you may have> PEACE

#3 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

i have been thinking that same thing hempie..i want to build a 30 plant hydro sytem in a 4x8 with 1000mh an1000hps on 2 light rails...but i need specs an to learn more about hydro...

#4 midgradeindasouth

midgradeindasouth

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

Wirh a 30 plant system under those lights you would do better I think to go with an ebb and flow. This way all they plants would be on the same water an nute system. It cuts down on equipment but, if you have a prob with one plant it could easily affect the rest. I have seen areally neat set up one time. This guy had big pvc pipes. not sure of size He had them set up in a lil building outside. It was three rows 6-8ft long. They stepped out and down about 12" like stairs or a terrace on a mountain. In each row he had hydro buckets. I think like 7 or 8 each row. Then he plumbed all this together. It was though the water was contiously circulating through this network of pvc. He would drain and refill it like a regular hydro setup. The rows of pipe were on a rack of course like the framework for a set of bleachers. He had the rows step down so he could have varrying levels of height from the light as for a sog. It was pretty proficent.

#5 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

I built a bubbler out of a rubbermaide tub. I would NEVER suggest using the big 25gal tub like I did....SUPER OVERKILL!! Alot of work replacing the res.

Anyway...get a smaller one. A 10gal at the most. Get some net pots/grow rocks from your local hydro shop. Pick up an airstone/pump/airline/rubbermaide tub and a boxcutter at WalMart.

Trace your potholes using a net pot. In my case...heating the blade before making the cuts made the blade flow thru the plastic really easily.

Cut your holes....I wouldnt do more than 4 pots to a tub. Its pretty simple.

I also suggest you buy the airpump with two airlines. That way you can have 2 airstones in 1 tub. Double the Bubble.

Attached Files

#6 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:58 AM

well i had the idea like mid grade said..except it would be three pipes 10 plants each not stepping down,with the lights on rails they will move back an forth covering all the plants with a dual spectrum...but with what blood brought up i like the idea,but i need more information on how to set up the air pump an what to expect,give me more info on all specs please...

#7 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

The air pump sits outside the res on the floor....Its just a plain ole' aquarium pum for a 30-60gal tank....airlines run from the pump to the airstones sitting at the bottom of your res. Its probably the easiest dwc to make.

All the work is cutting the holes in the lid. And you can see that a sharp blade makes quick work of that.

#8 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

what size mesh pots an whats the best medium in your opinion...also how much air stones an do you need xtra hoses for more spread out bubbleation..also what does the pump run on batteries or should i get an xtra power strip...sorry for all the q's but i need to learn an finding out how people made their systems is easier an more effecint then serching the net..

#9 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

2 airstones should be fine. I used 6 inch mesh pots and B'Cuzz Grow Rocks. Any brand of grow rocks will do. The airpump runs off elec. Plug/go.

Yes...a surge protector (powerstip) would be a good idea.

Total cost was about $60...blade included. I already had powerstrips.

#10 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

1 pump per tub...10 gal tub best for 4 plant?also what about feeding an watering..how often on average an how does it work with this perticuler system...the water just sits in the tub an the pump add o2 to the water to keep it from stagnateing...

#11 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

Your feeding is done like any other hydro dwc....fill your res add your nutes to the ppm required...ph...and let them go....adjusting ppm and all thats up to you....

Mine was done with much less effort. I wouldnt say this is the RIGHT way...but it works....

I fill my res and add nutes then ph it to about 5.5-6.0. I let the plants go adding plain water to replace loss from plant's consumption and evaporation. After 10 days...I dump the res....refill and start again. This way...you only need a ph meter.

But like I said...it isnt suggested....But I do it and it works for me. I only have a bubble bucket now but thats my method.

#12 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

Speaking of bubble buckets...that may be easier for you....less physical labor moving big tubs....and they take up less space...PLUS each plant has its own home. And they dont have to fight each other for light and root space.

Check those out. I bought a bubble bucket/mesh pot lid for 5gal bucket for about $10 together. I had my old pump/airstones/rocks (which are reuseable)/line/nutes from my big 6 plant tub.

The pics show the bucket.

Attached Files

• Attached File  18th.jpg   478.45KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  10th.jpg   488.39KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  16th.jpg   590.64KB   11 downloads

#13 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

what your talking about is the independent dwc growing...what do you think the yeild would be with this system 6 plants an a 1000 watt light...do you need to have an outside resivior for this system or just the pump hooked up to the water filled buckets..this is where some of my confusion starts...

#14 SmokerE

SmokerE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

My thoughts on the differing systems goes as follows. Ebb and flow is a nice system, but I think if done properly you can see better growth with a DWC. The only thing that makes me lean towards building a ebb and flow and casting aside my DWCs' is ease of use. Now I say this for a couple of reasons. One is that with a resevoir possibly outside of my grow room it would make it much easier for me to check ph/ppm and changeouts would be a hundred times easier without having to pull my plants out of the resevoir. Also if grow room temps are really high, you have to do some inventive stuff to keep them down in a dwc. At least with the ebb and flow I can keep it outside of the warmer grow room to better maintain the resevoir at optimum temperature. Just my 2 cents.

#15 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

ya i understand ebb an flows i have used those befor when i worked in a nursury...i just dont understand DWC an other true hydro systems

#16 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Well put Smoker....There are pluses and minues to every system.

Down the line an ebb/flow will done. I just need to research it a bit m,ore and feel confident Im not about to trash a crop.

#17 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

If I knew then, what I know now, I'd do a ONE PLANT in a five gallon bucketDWC with an added
DRIP Feed or Bubbleponic underwater feed, two 14 inch airstones, and I'd VEG for 8 to 9 weeks and BLOOM for 8 to 9 weeks and I'd harvest 8 to 15 ounces of dried bud off of one plant.
Or maybe 2 plants in a 8 gallon tub would do better.

go ask BeenthereDonethat and see his : http://www.greenpass...thread.php?t=98
he knows his hydro too!

#18 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

Im seriously debating on trying my hand at hydro this next grow. so what i need to know is, can you all suggest a good pre-built system or advise me on a way to build my own system.. thanks.

Indoor HYDRO growing provides the water and nutes 24/7, and along with a much longer light cycle thatn outdoor growing, Indoor Hydro growing cuts the grow time in half.

Look at this pic, the seeds in the rockwool cubes in the tank were started the same day as the seeds in the wet dirt. See the difference!

One plant in the tank got crushed at 10 days old, and I started it over and it caught up and passed the soil plants FAST!

#19 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

Blood, I corrected the PH of the water before I added it and the nutes, and the nutes I use made it perfect PH afterwards.

#20 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the compliment Roseman..I'm learning as I go...so anyone can come along fo' the ride! AZ...DWC is merely a "bubble bucket". The plant basically gets hand watered until the roots come out of the mesh bucket placed inside the 5 gallon bucket and grow into the AEREATED nutrient solution below. Once they hit this stage and start getting their feet wet..growth EXPLODES. Bein a generally lazy gardener for the most part and not wanting to hand water the clones early-on and also not wanting to take a chance that they would dry out and croak if I missed a crucial watering... I COMBINED a "Waterfarm" (look at the General Hydroponics website, I think there's a blow up/expanded pic of how it works there) DRIP RING with the DWC concept and let it water automatically rather than doing it manually. Between the DRIP action of the Waterfarm tube/column (the drip /flowing water over the roots actually creates an NFT type action) and the AEREATION of the airstones..the growth in this system is PHENOMENAL. I will post pics of the ROOTS on my system later tonight. It's amazing... My future plans are to turn my "static" system into a recirculating system...further increasing the OXYGEN to the plants and keeping it all stirred up/the nutes in good suspension...etc. oh..and to add a couple more LIGHTS and possibly 3 more plants on the next run. Yes, I am bad. LOL. Roseman..you'd frickin ROCK a 5 gal DWC. You should give it a go bro! bt dt

#21 SmokerE

SmokerE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

I have 10 different dwc containers. 5 individual dwc units (5 gallons), 4 larger 22 gallon DWC's (4 pot), and one 14 gallon ish veg 12 pot dwc. My suggestion is to use the individual DWC's unless your working with clones. If you want a good harvest you need a good root system going. By the time I'm switching to flower my plants are entangled with each other in the larger dwc. Then comes the males, unfortunately this is a necessary evil. If running a multiple pot dwc and not working with clones you will have to kill some. Good luck getting them roots to separate, it's not going to happen if you've been doing your job in veg.

#22 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

I built a bubbler out of a rubbermaide tub. I would NEVER suggest using the big 25gal tub like I did....SUPER OVERKILL!! Alot of work replacing the res.

Anyway...get a smaller one. A 10gal at the most. Get some net pots/grow rocks from your local hydro shop. Pick up an airstone/pump/airline/rubbermaide tub and a boxcutter at WalMart.

Trace your potholes using a net pot. In my case...heating the blade before making the cuts made the blade flow thru the plastic really easily.

Cut your holes....I wouldnt do more than 4 pots to a tub. Its pretty simple.

I also suggest you buy the airpump with two airlines. That way you can have 2 airstones in 1 tub. Double the Bubble.

Easy enough, you can even get two airpumps with two outputs like I did, 4 airstones. And Bloodshot hit the nail on the head....10 gal is plenty. I would reccomend the Stealth Hydro unit if it's your first time, it helps with learning the system and then building one. The forget and fire nutes are nice too if you don't want to muck with the learning curve of nutes. I use the Stealth Hydro unit and I like it, I also have a couple more that I made. One downside is that there is no way you are getting six plants in it....one positive is that killing males isn't so bad.

Hey check out Mr. Greens I grow Chronic Video....I think it's part 3 or 4 that shows you how to build 2 different types of units. Just do a google search and you shall find his video....

#23 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

Another nice unit is the Hydrofarm, it;s a single unit hydro that I will be putting all my mothers in. And if you like Hydro I highly reccomend Botanicare nutes...I love them and they can be used in soil too. Less salt build up than Fox Farm and it's made for hydro. I use the Pro Blend schedule...Here is a picture of my Bubble unit at about a month more like 35 days I am using Botanicare...this is only 3 plants so you can see what I mean about not enough room.

Attached Files

#24 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

I would also check out what is called a ultrasonic mister they work great....:)/>

#25 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

you can get one of those flexible air curtain stones.They come in 3 or 4 lenghts.I think the 36" one is about $9.00 at a fish store.You form it in a circle around the bottom of the res.It puts out alot of bubbles.I have a fish tank pump that is use to cirulate the tank water in my fish tank.IT also has a air valve that put o2 in the water.its called a powerhead pump,you can get it at wal-mart for $20.00.I put one in my res in the cab.I'll post a pix of it working in a week when I start up the cab.PEACE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users