- - - - -

The Dip n' Stick Cloning Method

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

This is a cloning method that I have successfully used for many years. All surfaces, areas, tools and accessories should be cleaned and disinfected with a light bleach solution and then rinsed clean with plain water. Wash your hands well before starting the procedure. Do not blaze a fatty/cig while carrying out this process. Have ALL needed tools and accessories ready to go before taking any cuts. these are the tools you'll need: a new scalpel, exacto knife, or double-sided razor blade (no scissors) Dip N' Grow rooting hormone ...available at many nurseries/garden shops RapidRooters. RootRoit cubes, or rockwool cubes propagation tray/w/ dome

Attached Files

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

you will also obviously need plants with cloneable shoots available to take. These plants in pic # 1 are stretched from seed but the clones from her may tighten and grow short/fat plants. Picture #2 shows the clones/cuts that can be taken from the bottom of the plant. (each is circled in blue)

Attached Files

#3 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

Mix the Dip N' Grow according to the instructions/levels required for the type of cut you are taking. This stuff smells a lot like fingernail polish but it will pop roots on a rock...

Attached Files

#4 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

I usually take the entire growing shoot if the cut is from the bottom of the plant. (as shown in the picture) If the cut is from elsewhere on the plant and the shoot is longer you can take it just above the place on the branch where new growth is emerging. Always use a very sharp and clean cutting instrument for these cuts.

Attached Files

#5 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:28 PM

After cutting the clone from the plant, I then remove all but 2 sets of leaves, leaving the top and the next set down. All other leaves are chopped off, leaving 1/4" of the stem as it comes off the main shoot. (as shown in the picture) These stems will help anchor the plant into the cube and prevent it from coming out or from allowing the cut to spin freely in the hole. (not good) I then dip the cut in the Dip N' Grow for about 10 seconds while I prepare the cube/Rapidrooter...

Attached Files

#6 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

to prepare the cube or RapidRooter (I prefer Rapidrooters but am using rockwool in this illustration because I have no RR's on hand) I take my scalpel and gently route-out/disturb the factory/formed hole. Usually the fatory-formed hole onlyt goes about 1/2 way down into the cube..I prefer to route the hole out and make it deeper to the point where the scalpel/knife point ALMOST breaks through the bottom of the cube/RR. This allows more stem into the cube to form roots and also keeps the grower from jamming a pliable/weak stem down into the cube and BENDING it. If the stem were to bend on insertion...the clone MUST be re-cut, re-dipped, and restuck into the cube. (w/the hole now routed out deeper to accept it).

Attached Files

#7 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

Once the cut is secure in it's new home, I place the cut into a propagation tray and cover it with a dome. From here until the time I see roots in about 1 week to 10 days, I will check the moisture in the cube/RR and keep it moist to wet ut it will NOT be standing in ANY water that may collect in the bottom of the tray. If the medium is too wet it may promote stem rot/stem mush and the stem will turn grey/brown at the top of the cube and the clone will fall over and die. I do not mist my clones as some do. I do not feel it necessary with a dome and proper moisture in the medium/cube..etc. If I feel there is insufficient moisture in the "system"..I will mist the inside of the DOME itself..but not the clones. I was always told that if the clones are misted or are given a foliar feed it will lengthen the time it takes them to put out roots..the reason being is that the clone doesn't feel the immediate need to root to survive because it is being given ample food and water through the leaves. None of this is proven..and none of it is up for debate here. I only know that i've followed the instructions I was given and have had 90-100% success with my clones on all occasions.........except those where yer high and do something STUPID like leave the lid off the tray... The first pic is the first clone hitting the tray. The second pic is all 4 clones taken for this tutorial with the dome already on and propped up for only a SECOND to take the photo. Until they have ample roots the dome will remain on 24/7 lighting unless there is too much moisture in the system and then I will take it off for 5 -10 minutes...ALWAYS sitting and WATCHING them and NEVER leaving the dome off and walking away. They can CRAP OUT ON YOU in mere seconds if they are exposed to too much DRY AIR.

Attached Files

#8 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

Expose the clone to 70-75 degree air temps...up to 80-85 is OK..but watch them closer at these temps for stem rot. I do NOT use a heating mat...it will FRY EM. If it's WINTER and the room is below 70..you CAN use a haeting mat..but you need to place a few layers of TOWELS in between the tray and the mat to keep the temp in the 7--80 degree range. Many mat internally set for 15-20 degrees over the ambient AIR temp..so if it's 75 in yer room the may may get to 95..again..NOT GOOD. For light...I use floros..but HID can be used from a distance of 4-5 FT. Think "way off to the side"...barely getting any light really...if you DO use HID. For floros or CFL's....the same rule applies...keep em a few feet away..just offering a good amount of indirect lighting. If it's side light and the cuts bend to the light after a few days...rotate the tray 180 degrees. Once the clone has rooted...generally in 7-14 days...you can then begin to SLOWLY take the dome off the tray. I do it over a 2 day period..making sure the cubes are WELL WATERED..thenleaving the lid ajar overnight...then a bit more the next day...removing it fully that night or the next AM. At this point the clone can be planted in soil..hydroton, coco, etc...etc...etc. and can start to be fertilized. About the only thing you can't do to it at this point is get it out of it's cube/RR home. The clone will be an EXACT representation of the plant it came from. Given the *same* conditions and growing approaches repeatedly...it will be roughly the same size as the mom and will offer the same amount of bud time and time again as the parental plant offered. Contrary to the beliefs of some, you can take a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone etc...etc...etc. to nifinity and not lose yield or potenct as ong as the cut/plant/strain REMAINS HEALTHY. You can keep a "mother plant" and take cuts from her every 8 weeks on an 8 week strain..or you can simply take cuts from the bottom of every plant in your garden every 8 weeks on an 8 week strain and root those and continue on forever that way. It all depends on your preference and you available space. I will edit this as needed...but that is the GENERAL idea of the process. If you have an additional approach to taking clones or would like to illustrate how you approach/carry out the process you are familair with, please start a new thread and share your knowledge there to keep this tutorial intact. Remember, this is not the only way, this is just one of the ways I have done it successfully. good luck....and remember...CLONING IS SHARING. btdt

Attached Files

#9 Guest_pjboy31_*

Guest_pjboy31_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

nice thanks for the lesson I needed that.

#10 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:42 AM

good read ty

#11 hearmenow

hearmenow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

Good info. I picked up a couple helpful tips. Thanks!

#12 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3175 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

Awesome BT... Many thanks, as that post showed this idiot enough pictures that he can do it now without worrying the baby is gonna croak...;)/> TM

#13 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

Just as an update... All 4 of the Skunk Specials that were cut/dipped in this tutorial rooted up in 10 days. (a bit longer than usual, possibly the RW or my D n' Grow is getting old) And GLAD to do it folks. You can tweak it to meet your own needs but this should give you a basic idea what youll need/how to proceed. good luck btdt

#14 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:43 AM

Hello all...

A grower here Pm'd me and showed concern over the use of Dip N' Grow and other cloning products that contain the popular rooting agents Indobutyric acid (IBA)(synthetic) and napthaleneacetic acid (NAA) to name a few.

Should you have similar concerns, this page gives a bit of info and is a place to start fretting about it all.

http://www.pesticide...(root stimulant)

I have no personal concerns. Petro chem ferts and inhaling butane on every toke are as much of a risk, IMO, as the VERY occasional use of a cloning agent.

But...to be fair...there ya go...a bit of *info* so you can decide on your own what is the best course of action to take for your own bad self...

grow on.. btdt

#15 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3175 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

BT, Awesome timing! (I was going to cut my first ever clone-shoots today) My dome/RR box is pretty dry inside...should I add water to the bottom? The RR plugs are also pretty dry...what can I do to prepare them for the clone to arrive? Razor at the ready, awaiting instructions...:yes master: ISO

#16 Guest_JollyGreenGiant_*

Guest_JollyGreenGiant_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hey, thanks for the great thread. I'm not sure how much this matters, but I wanted to point out that Dip-n-Grow is labeled specifically for use on ornamentals. If the label says for ornamentals only, it says that for a legal/health related reason. Growers may want to substitue something suitable for consumption.

#17 Guest_Monday Murphy_*

Guest_Monday Murphy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

Expose the clone to 70-75 degree air temps...up to 80-85 is OK..but watch them closer at these temps for stem rot. I do NOT use a heating mat...it will FRY EM. If it's WINTER and the room is below 70..you CAN use a haeting mat..but you need to place a few layers of TOWELS in between the tray and the mat to keep the temp in the 7--80 degree range. Many mat internally set for 15-20 degrees over the ambient AIR temp..so if it's 75 in yer room the may may get to 95..again..NOT GOOD.

For light...I use floros..but HID can be used from a distance of 4-5 FT. Think "way off to the side"...barely getting any light really...if you DO use HID. For floros or CFL's....the same rule applies...keep em a few feet away..just offering a good amount of indirect lighting. If it's side light and the cuts bend to the light after a few days...rotate the tray 180 degrees.

Once the clone has rooted...generally in 7-14 days...you can then begin to SLOWLY take the dome off the tray. I do it over a 2 day period..making sure the cubes are WELL WATERED..thenleaving the lid ajar overnight...then a bit more the next day...removing it fully that night or the next AM.

At this point the clone can be planted in soil..hydroton, coco, etc...etc...etc. and can start to be fertilized. About the only thing you can't do to it at this point is get it out of it's cube/RR home.

The clone will be an EXACT representation of the plant it came from. Given the *same* conditions and growing approaches repeatedly...it will be roughly the same size as the mom and will offer the same amount of bud time and time again as the parental plant offered.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, you can take a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone etc...etc...etc. to nifinity and not lose yield or potenct as ong as the cut/plant/strain REMAINS HEALTHY.

You can keep a "mother plant" and take cuts from her every 8 weeks on an 8 week strain..or you can simply take cuts from the bottom of every plant in your garden every 8 weeks on an 8 week strain and root those and continue on forever that way. It all depends on your preference and you available space.

I will edit this as needed...but that is the GENERAL idea of the process.
If you have an additional approach to taking clones or would like to illustrate how you approach/carry out the process you are familair with, please start a new thread and share your knowledge there to keep this tutorial intact.

Remember, this is not the only way, this is just one of the ways I have done it successfully.

good luck....and remember...CLONING IS SHARING.

btdt

thanks btdt thats a lot of work... friend - very helpful

#18 Guest_StillSmoking_*

Guest_StillSmoking_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:26 AM

When i read the part about placing something between the heating pad and the bottom of my tray or my roots would fry, :party: man i have never moved that fast in my life.

#19 motorheed

motorheed

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:15 AM

cheers man, been a real prob for me (meaning 0 out of 5 attempts) can see where im goin wrong now. great advice.

#20 Guest_natmoon_*

Guest_natmoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hey, thanks for the great thread.

I'm not sure how much this matters, but I wanted to point out that
Dip-n-Grow is labeled specifically for use on ornamentals.

If the label says for ornamentals only, it says that for a legal/health related reason.

Growers may want to substitue something suitable for consumption.

I agree.
Never use cloning gel that is not labeled as suitable for use for food bearing plants.
I have heard a lot of people complaining of headaches and nausea from some weed maybe this is why.

Anyway jolly green giant is totally right imo anyway never use ornamental plant growth hormone of any kind on something that you wish to eat or smoke unless you wish to be ill anyway.
Maybe not today but it is bad for you or they wouldn't say ornamental use only,they would sell it to as many buyers as possible so they obviously already know that its bad for consumables as their docs must have tested it.;)

#21 4kaan4

4kaan4

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

I always trim leaves off approx. 24 hrs. before taking cutting. That way the wounds have a chance to seal, keeping vital moisture in the stem and preventing bacterial infection. Also this allows the plant to send some natural growth hormones to the area, increasing the likelyhood of new growth at the leaf cuts. Other than that this is the method I have used w/sucess when I find a really sweet girl that I want to hang around with for awhile.
  • tafkam2 likes this

#22 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

Almost every cloning gel on the market uses indo or NAA. The only one I know of that doesn't is Olivia's. I'd like to see proof that folks are getting ill off of pot that is cloned with these products. 90% of the pot smokers out there would be ill right now if this were true. Sounds more likely to be poor genetics or fertilizer residues left in the smoke than a dip in cloning gel. Of bigger concern is the butane that is inhaled on every hit from your lighter as you light yer weed... In the end....this thread *is* about the Dip N' Stick method using these hormonal products. If you have a better idea, PLEASE post it up and show folks how well it works. The more the merrier...

#23 midgradeindasouth

midgradeindasouth

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:52 AM

I use water!!!

Hey, BtDt long time no speak.

I hope all is well.

#24 Guest_natmoon_*

Guest_natmoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:36 AM

Almost every cloning gel on the market uses indo or NAA. The only one I know of that doesn't is Olivia's.

I'd like to see proof that folks are getting ill off of pot that is cloned with these products. 90% of the pot smokers out there would be ill right now if this were true. Sounds more likely to be poor genetics or fertilizer residues left in the smoke than a dip in cloning gel.

Of bigger concern is the butane that is inhaled on every hit from your lighter as you light yer weed...

In the end....this thread *is* about the Dip N' Stick method using these hormonal products. If you have a better idea, PLEASE post it up and show folks how well it works.

The more the merrier...

Is nothing personal mate and i thought your thread was cool and informative.
On advice about the effects of ornamental cloning gels exact and specific harms i don't really know to be honest i just know that there is a difference.

I have emailed the manufactures of babybio cloning gel to ask them what the exact differences are and why some gels are stated for ornamental use only and what the negative effects may be when ornamental gels are used for food grade consumables.

I never inhale the first toke:Legalize it!:

#25 Guest_onetimeinhailer_*

Guest_onetimeinhailer_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

I once read of a guy taking a razor to his tomato plant where he wanted to take a clone from(just scratches). Then take a lump of seeding soil in burlap(potato bag) and tie this around the wound and keep it wet. Roots would develop there.Then he can cut and plant. Does this work. There were no mention of rooting hormones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users