- - - - -

i want to learn

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

ok the time is soon for my growing to change..since at first i was concerned about taste an smell i went with soil but since i plan on water curing most of my harvests this will no longer be a problem..so now i want to switch what im doing, i am going to DIY a 30 plant hydro system with a 1000mh an a 1000hps on light rails...now i would like to put this in a 4foot by 8foot aera thats 8 foot high, is this enough room for 30 plants?Also i use fox farm nutes would i have to change...basically what i need is the specs to build a hydro system that would fit these specs...any help will be greatly apriciated...

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Kieahtoka

Kieahtoka

Neo Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

I plan on going hydro too. so I'm looking for the same thing you are.

#3 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Its not as complicated as some make out to be....You just have to be consistent IMO.

#4 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

I can second that, I like it lots. But I still do soil too, it's still about gardening to me at times.

#5 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

did you guys build your own systems..also i dont understand ppm for nuts solutions explain to me please..

#6 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

Same here...I only have a bubble bucket plant going now...But I really dont think I'd ever do just one or the other....Maybe thats the Gemini in me.

I get the best of both worlds...the worst too but we're not talking about that right now.

#7 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

ya im about to harvest 16 plants an i dont know how much product i will end up with..hopefully 5ozs dry...i have seen these hydro growers an aero growers do tripple that in the same time....

#8 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

Compare the soil plants that the seed were started the same day, to the Hydro plants.
  • HeadPawthead likes this

#9 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

please teach me that method rose..i already went to walmart to see a basic price...i need all the specs on that system you can provide me with please...

#10 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

AzGrow, I'd be more than glad to. Maybe we ought to start a new thread in HYDRO to follow thru.
Understand that the 6 plant container is a 8 gallon tupperware container with the six holes. It is designed for a grower with a very small grow-space that wants to grow 6 plants VERY FAST and VEG for a very short time, like only two weeks, when they are only ten inches high then BLOOM 8 weeks, a total of 10 weeks from seed to harvest, yielding a half ounce of bud frome each plant. That system can give you bushy ten inch plants in only two weeks!
I did that twice, two grows, but I did seed grows and got three fems each time.
I can easily help you, I can get you the grow cups for 50 cents each and the rockwool and rocks cheap too. BUT if you have more space than the small end of a closet, I'd do a 5 gallon bucket grow.
Thank about it and let me know which way you want to go.
This is a pic of BEENTHEREDONETHAT's 5 gallon grow, he has a nice thread-post here too of his 5 gallon bucket grow.
He can get 8 ounces + of dried buds from each plant.
http://www.greenpass...=1&d=1186242332

look : http://www.greenpass...thread.php?t=98

#11 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

He's the man, AZ...He actually walked me through my 1st build. And if Im not mistaken....showed me how to make through until I got a TDS Meter....

Worked so well...I still havent gotten around to getting that meter. :)/>

#12 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Roseman has far more experience in the hydro gig than I...but I'd certainly be happy to share if there's anything I can be assitance with. The DWC grow I'm oing is all a new experience for me for the most part. I did do one bucket previously along with a soil grow to see what would happen and I ended up having to make a seperate space/dedicate a light to that one plant it got so huge! 10.25 oz on the first try...and I tortured that one...so yeah...i'm hopin for an easy 1/2 lb per plant and I'll be ecstatic if I surpass that figure.... Roseman's pics of the seed plants done in soil and then in hydro illustrate what you will see...and IMO the gap only WIDENS as time goes on. In my situation I have the same plants in soil and in the DWC's...the soil plants are MAYBE 2 ft tall and 2 ft wide...the DWC plants are approaching 4 ft tall and 4 ft wide. They're actually FREAKIN ME OUT they''re gettin so big. I can help walk you through building a "Waterfarm" type bucket. This would be the easiest way to intro you to all of this, IMO. it's an amazing thing... btdt

#13 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

Hey everyone, I got the stealth hydro kit myself, although I haven had a chance to turn it on yet. It arrived midway into a grow, that I have to finish first. So far as the ppm meter, it is nice to have one, so is a ph meter. I dont have either though, also I started an experiment, like what bt dt's doing, I used a 3 gallon bucket and threw in some air stones and a plant. The roots have just started to reach the resevoir, and it is alive too! This was done mostly on common sense and a little luck too. I'm also using foxfarm nutes, I'm not so sure they are the best for a hydro grow yet, but this is still to be determined. Originally, the thought buying of a PPM meter and a PH meter pushed me away from hydro, than I started to experiment, as we all do, I started a "hempy bucket" grow and killed two plants that way. Sure I killed em, but now I had the hydro bug! So my 3 gallon bucket seems to be doing quite well right now, I'll keep you informed of how it ends, the strain is lowrider, only because I got em for free, and after killing two babies in the hempy bucket method I wasnt willing to risk anymore fem mazar to this. I have some more lowriders growing in soil outside for a comparison. Peace

#14 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

ok so what i imangine i what to do is have a few 30 gal containers with 5 plants each...but does the water just stay in there or do i need sep resviors also how do i check the water level an ph if the water does stay inside the tub..also do you need to line the inside of the tubs...

#15 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

I actually think that you should buy your first one pre-made. Than you'll have a working model, and you'll have ideas on improving it too. Hell, you can buy one for about $80.00 bucks, cheap enough to learn from. Peace

#16 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:19 AM

Ideally your system will have a drain and an access port to check ppms and pH. Ebay is a good place to snag a cheap ppm or pH meter. These are essential in a hydro grow. I bought a Trimeter that continuously reads ppm/pH/temp in the res. I would advise against 5-6 plants in one container unless you have 6 clones to use. Males and dead roots will fuck you up later, IMO. good luck

#17 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

ok so what i imangine i what to do is have a few 30 gal containers with 5 plants each...but does the water just stay in there or do i need sep resviors also how do i check the water level an ph if the water does stay inside the tub..also do you need to line the inside of the tubs...

Man, a 30 gallon container IS NOT the way to go for 5 plants. The nutes and cleaning and so many air pumps and air stones would over whelm you.
It'd be to much work!

If you are going to do mulitple plants (5 or 6 plants) in the same resorvoir tank, then use a 8 gallon tank, with 6 gallons of water, and VEG small plants, from seed or clones, and VEG them a short while, just a week or two, have small plants, and harvest one major cola off of each plant along with just a few small buds. That is the FAST way, a sea of green grow.
IF you want 8 ounces of bud off of one plant, then use a 5 gallon bucket for each monster plant, VEG it 8 weeks and let it get big, then BLOOM 8 weeks and have a monstor plant! Plantzilla !

#18 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

When the plants are small, they keep the same water for two weeks, then you drain and replace it every 7 to ten days. You can use the PH test strips easily, and they are cheap too. You do not line the buckets or tanks, but you do make sure light can not get inside it.

Decide on the monster Bucket or the 6 planter tank, and I;ll walk you thru it, step by step and even help you get your supplies.

#19 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

The meters are not that expensive, BUT you can grow sucessfully with out them. Just use the PH test strips, and follow the directions on the nutes. You pre -mix the nutes per gallon of water used.

#20 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

Here are a few pictures of my experiment grow with a dwc bucket. You can see, so far, it is going nicely. Peace EDIT, I've added two more

Attached Files

#21 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

That nice there VM,I havent got my ebb&flood going and you guys got me wanting to go DWC already.Peace

#22 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Hey, Videoman, Get a much bigger airstone, that little blue thing is like a big dick on a priest!

#23 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

I got a couple in there, not just one. A dick on a priest, now thats funny! I guess your not catholic huh? ROFLMAO

#24 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

You'll love it! Again...I dont do anything other than add water every couple days....I ph adjust about once per week....super lazy with the hydro.

I did forget to add water a few days and the concentration in the res got really strong....hence the not great looking lower leaves.

Attached Files

#25 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

Shaman just started a thread on a DWC he is building, with an additional Bubbler. I'd suggest we all look it over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users